• Curse Sites
Help

What Was The Best And Worst Arena Season?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Glink

Glink
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Survival 0/0/2/2/1/0
  • 2v2: 2297
  • 3v3: 2922
  • 5v5: 2380
  • RBG: 2221
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:42 AM

Based on overall balance, fun, and skillcap, what do you think was the best arena season so far?

And what was the wost?
Twitch.tv/Glinksz Rank 1 Hunter PvP
Posted Image

#2 Synkz

Synkz
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Blood Furnace
  • Retaliation
  • Talents: Destruction 0/2/0/0/2/.

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:58 AM

voted s7 best, s5 worst

#3 Reirei

Reirei
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Assassination 2/2/1/1/0/0
  • RBG: 1952
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:02 AM

well i played since s8 so my opinion is biased, but i think s8 is the most balanced what i played and s12 is hands down the worst

from what i heard/read/saw s5 was about as bad as s12...but i wasn't there
shut up pvp guy

• Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Twisting Nether
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Unholy 2/0/2/0/0/2
  • RBG: 1866

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:41 AM

I had the most fun in S11, outside of RMP. Therefor I voted S11 for best.

S12 feels so dumb to me. It's all about whoever has the most RNG crits and stupid cc. Worst imo.

But obvious biased opinions are biased.
Posted Image

#5 Laas

Laas
  • Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Ravenholdt
  • Whirlwind
  • Talents: Demonology 0/1/2/2/1/2

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:52 PM

I feel like even with legendaries, S10 was very well balanced and the pacing of games was where I liked it. S12 is ridiculous, but the start of an expansion tends to be that way.

#6 Genezing

Genezing
  • Members
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • US-Korgath
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Restoration 0/1/1/1/1/0
  • LocationDetroit, MI

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:22 PM

For those who played it... know that S3 was the greatest season of all time.

S5 was the worst... DKs running around being unbeatable and Blizzard's excuse of them being a Hero Class and to get over it..
lol.gif

#7 Jacquelol

Jacquelol
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Restoration 1/2/2/1/2/0
  • 2v2: 1053
  • 3v3: 192
  • LocationNORSWE

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:22 AM

its still too early to vote what season was the best, but I voted s12 based on hope!
Jacquel "The Druid" is currently not playing wow.

Shout out too Lunor for being the most amazing friend one can have.

Shout out too Hyuru the most amazing, friendly and nice person ive met on AJ
Shout out too Ardnut the second most amazing and friendly person ive met on AJ
¯\_(ツ)_/¯  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#8 Afrozombie

Afrozombie
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Protection 1/1/1/1/0/2
  • RBG: 2021
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:07 AM

S1 the best because it was the beginning of arenas and should have been the example of how simple and skill curved it was. S11 had to be the worst, at least for warriors. PvE gear dominated the whole game, and made me feel like S5 all over again. Worst game design I have ever seen.
I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion.
~Alexander the Great

• Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Twisting Nether
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Unholy 2/0/2/0/0/2
  • RBG: 1866

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:12 PM

View PostJacquelol, on 21 November 2012 - 12:22 AM, said:

its still too early to vote what season was the best, but I voted s12 based on hope!

There is always gope.
Posted Image

#10 Glink

Glink
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Survival 0/0/2/2/1/0
  • 2v2: 2297
  • 3v3: 2922
  • 5v5: 2380
  • RBG: 2221
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:16 PM

View PostJacquelol, on 21 November 2012 - 12:22 AM, said:

Well...thats quite a lot of hope then.
Twitch.tv/Glinksz Rank 1 Hunter PvP
Posted Image

#11 RavageDionne

RavageDionne
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Fury 1/1/0/2/0/0
  • RBG: 1709

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:20 PM

s11 hands down for the worst. Too much PvE gear reliance, it was horrible.
So far I'm liking s12 for obvious reasons. Hehe.

Enter the nightmare, this future does implore,
A techno city state, a prison nothing more.
Rounded up like cattle, you're forced in to the trains,
Nothing that you've ever known will bring you so much pain.

Posted Image

#12 Twocat

Twocat
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Illidan
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Enhancement

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:25 PM

S5 was so much worse than everything else, it's too bad people forgot what it was really like.
I'll never forget going 100-0 in a TNT stun, or dying from 2 icy touches at 30 yards away, or fear being a casted ranged stun because it took 40% HP to break, or ferals 1 shotting clothies with ferocious bite, effectively only having 60% HP vs ret paladins, or scourge strike(?) stripping all hots, or hpals with stun breaking freedom infinite mana, or triple GLG RMP etc

I could probably keep adding to this, but meh
Posted Image

#13 Jacquelol

Jacquelol
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Restoration 1/2/2/1/2/0
  • 2v2: 1053
  • 3v3: 192
  • LocationNORSWE

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:35 PM

View PostGlink, on 21 November 2012 - 11:16 PM, said:

Well...thats quite a lot of hope then.

not really it seems like blizzard is acctuly caring about pvp related problems, atleast in some perspective 5.1 will bring some nice changes.

while s11 had no balance patch apart from vial and cunning nerf

Edited by Jacquelol, 26 November 2012 - 12:36 PM.

Jacquel "The Druid" is currently not playing wow.

Shout out too Lunor for being the most amazing friend one can have.

Shout out too Hyuru the most amazing, friendly and nice person ive met on AJ
Shout out too Ardnut the second most amazing and friendly person ive met on AJ
¯\_(ツ)_/¯  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#14 Stigz

Stigz
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • EU-Darksorrow
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Restoration 0/0/1/1/0/0
  • RBG: 1666
  • LocationFinland

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:37 PM

I think everyone can propably agree we are playing the worst season by far right now.
Posted Image
63% Resilience, Destro is hard?

#15 Dahone

Dahone
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Mug'thol
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Frost 1/0/1/0/1/1
  • RBG: 1360
  • LocationQuebec Canada

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:53 PM

Fuck season 12   Broken as fuck  s8 was the best i think from what I heard didnt play that one.

#16 HealsnPeels

HealsnPeels

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:25 PM

This is going to be a biased result because a lot of people missed out on s5. Anyone who played that season knows nothing compares to DK's spamming icy touch to 2k. Played maybe 75 matches that season before i took an extended break from the game. I have actually enjoyed parts of this season (until you reach the point where you hit about 2.2 mmr and play the same 3-4 retarded comps over and over. Nothing better than pre-mding mages iceblocks to beat a shatterplay/godcomp this season though.

Best = s3 (s9 close 2nd) imo. The CC mechanics felt amazingly better than they do now. I don't remember spending 20 seconds of a match not being able to control my character because of instant cc's. The "drain the bucket - fill the bucket" arena system lead to longer matches but I don't think its possible to find someone in favor of dying in a global.

#17 FTRouslan

FTRouslan
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Maiev
  • Whirlwind
  • Talents: Frost
  • RBG: 1141

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:30 PM

MoP is just Cata arena but completely fucked up. There was less CC, more sustained damage, more balance (comparatively, but season 10 had the best balance ever), shorter CDs, and less CD reliance in Cataclysm. Still quite cooldown based, but it wasn't really necessary as anyone who fucked up their positioning long enough could be punished as long as you could line a CC chain or something.

Now we see shit sustained damage, huge CD reliance, and huge CD lengths for most classes. Dispel change is idiotic with the amount of CC we have in this game. We have huge amounts of offensive dispels but limited defensive dispels? Wat?

The only step in the right direction this game has taken is completely removing PvE gear from arena. While I disagree that PvE gear should be removed completely, it was time to remove items like Cunning of the Cruel when it accounts for over 25% of your TOTAL DAMAGE. Now that is ridiculous.

I hate how the dynamics of this game has been reduced to one shot, or get oneshotted through oodles of CC. If you don't one shot, better wait several minutes for another opportunity! Never has the burst in this game been this retarded, not only in concept, but in difficulty (extremely easy cooldown stacking without almost any other worry).

Like when I saw warriors, hunters, and mages this season, the only thing going through my head was "Wat? How did they let this get past the drawing board? Let alone the fucking alpha and beta."

S11 wasn't my favorite season, but I still had fun. Rogues weren't too bad, and overall I think there was a lot of balance. If you played certain comps, you could still be easily viable, and skill mattered. Resto druids were good if paired with spriests, resto shamans were decent overall, priests had their niche in certain comps and were still quite strong, and hpaladins performed best under cleaves, but exceptional paladins stretched the limits of their viability (Athlete, Karvinen, etc.).

Sure there was triple dps, but really, who really had to worry about that shit after 2300 MMR? Triple dps was just a duelist killing machine. The only real threat posed by triple dps is when they played rogue/ret/hunter, since that comp has the ranged smokebomb burst combined with two preparation-style cooldowns for huge amounts of CC.

Sure it was cheesy, but I felt like it didn't detract from the game, since as long as you knew what you were doing, you could beat the teams running them because they were usually bad. Most of the complaints came from the teams they countered, x/lock/shaman, which happened to dominate the ladders as well, so go figure!

All I know for certain, is that I no longer have the kind of fun I used to have on my DK.
Nasty, brutish, and about 6'1".

#18 Twocat

Twocat
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Illidan
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Enhancement

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:53 PM

I remember this same thread in early S11 and everyone voted S10, funny how the most recent season is always the worst.

Also, S10 is arguably the worse than S5(the only season that is) because the game was actually unplayable. I remember queueing at 2.5k MMR on my BG and never getting a single team above 2.2k for hours, farming +1 or +2 just to lose -19+ to a shitty low rated triple DPS that globals my team in a smokebomb

FWIW, S12 made me quit the game after being subbed for 7 years. Not because of the bad balance, but because it simply isn't enjoyable. I hate the S12 playstyle, I don't think I've had more than a handful of matches out of a few hundred this season that I actually enjoyed.
Posted Image

#19 FTRouslan

FTRouslan
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Maiev
  • Whirlwind
  • Talents: Frost
  • RBG: 1141

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:38 AM

View PostTwocat, on 26 November 2012 - 09:53 PM, said:

I remember this same thread in early S11 and everyone voted S10, funny how the most recent season is always the worst.

Also, S10 is arguably the worse than S5(the only season that is) because the game was actually unplayable. I remember queueing at 2.5k MMR on my BG and never getting a single team above 2.2k for hours, farming +1 or +2 just to lose -19+ to a shitty low rated triple DPS that globals my team in a smokebomb

FWIW, S12 made me quit the game after being subbed for 7 years. Not because of the bad balance, but because it simply isn't enjoyable. I hate the S12 playstyle, I don't think I've had more than a handful of matches out of a few hundred this season that I actually enjoyed.

Out of the 3 seasons I've played so far, 9, 10, and 11, they were all generally enjoyable. S10 would have been awesome if they didn't fuck up with MMR, it definitely had the best balance. I cannot stand this season, I have rerolled about 4 times trying to find a class for me to enjoy this game, but I simply can't anymore. Thanks to the 5.1 gear changes, I'll be too poorly geared to matter in arena. I'm done.
Nasty, brutish, and about 6'1".

#20 Sterling

Sterling
  • Members

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:12 PM

View PostStigz, on 26 November 2012 - 12:37 PM, said:

I think everyone can propably agree we are playing the worst season by far right now.

In the heat of the moment I imagine many players will say S12. But let's not forget how bad S5 was:
  • RDruids, Disc and Warriors were absolutely not viable at all. If I remember correctly, only ~10 or so warriors got a glad title. All good RDruids went feral and I don't even remember what priests did (reroll?).
  • DKs were invincible and occupied over 50% of the top 100 teams across the board.
  • Hunters were a close 2nd, and had ranged mace stun.
  • HPals were pretty much the only viable healing class, besides maybe rshams.
  • Ring of Valor was bugged so hard, you'd often have hunters makin' it rain on you before the game even starts and nothing was done about it for like a month.
At least in S12, every class can be somewhat viable. Rogues are probably in the worst spot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<