• Curse Sites
Help

How to prevent DDoS on skype. Proxy set up guide.

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 hurrdurr

hurrdurr
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Thorium Brotherhood
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Destruction 1/2/2/1/2/1

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:54 PM

Our Toolbox

PuTTY.exe

PuTTY is a neat little program that allows you to do a lot of different things. The specific functions we will be using it for is the ability to tunnel SSH traffic through localhost (127.0.0.1:8080) to our VPS. In laymen’s terms, it will be transferring all of the data over Skype through a secure tunnel so that only the VPS you’re connected to is being exposed to anyone else.
PuTTYgen.exe

This is a simple program that we will use that will transform the key we get from Amazon into something that PuTTY can use to automatically connect to our VPS.
Windows 7 Firewall

We’re using Windows 7′s Firewall (ANY Firewall can be substituted here) to disable Skype from connecting to the internet.
EC2 Amazon Access

Even though it requires a credit card to sign up for and activate, the only tier we’re interested in is 100% free. Amazon may authorize $1 to your CC just to verify that it’s real, but you won’t actually be billed any money. The free-tier that we will be using will be good for 1 year prior to activation.
The Process

The problem people have with Skype is that it tends to ignore whatever proxy you throw into the connection information for it. It doesn’t actually ignore the proxy, but it will simply add it to a list of nodes it will consider connecting to if you’re having trouble maintaining a p2p connection with whoever it is you’re chatting with. For security purposes, this makes it useless. Instead of adding our VPS to the Skype proxy list, we’ll add 127.0.0.1:8080. “What’s the point, though? You said it won’t even use that most of the time!” That’s where our Windows Firewall comes in! We’ll use Windows 7′s Firewall to block Skype from making ALL outbound connections to the internet. This means that when Skype tries to connect to the internet when you log in, it will see that there is no connection available. This forces it to look to any proxies the user has supplied for a connection. Ordinarily, these would also not work (since all outbound connections are blocked by our Firewall), however, localhost is not an outbound connection and therefore falls outside of W7′s restricted connections. This means we’ve effectively tricked W7′s firewall into becoming a routing tool! Skype will then begin tunneling traffic through localhost, assuming PuTTY is open and you are connected to your EC2 server that you set-up on Amazon.

The Walkthrough

If you came here straight from the first page just looking to a guide to mindlessly follow, this will get the job done. However, I highly encourage you to read the explanations given in the pages prior to this so that you have a thorough understanding of what you’re going to be doing with the programs you’ll be working with.

Downloading PuTTY

First, let’s get the program we’ll use for our SSH tunneling, PuTTY, and the program we’ll use for our Amazon key, PuTTYgen.
PuTTY and PuTYYgen - http://www.chiark.gr...y/download.html. [Picture]
Setting up EC2 on Amazon

Next, we’ll need to create an AWS (Amazon Web Services) account. You can click the “sign up now” button here - http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/. If you don’t already have an Amazon account, you’ll need to create one of those as well. The micro-instance we’ll be utilizing via Amazon’s EC2 service is free for one year.
After that, we’ll need to sign up for Amazon’s EC2 service and get a micro-instance running.
  • You can return to the same link earlier (http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/) and click the “My Account/Console” drop down menu in the top right, then click “AWS Management Console”.

• Next click “EC2″ under the “Compute and Networking” list

• You should see an option that will allow you to “Launch” an instance. Click that.

• Select the “Classic Wizard” option and click next.

• Scroll down to whatever the latest Ubunutu server is with a star next to it, and press the “select” button next to it. You can leave the 64 bit version selected.

• As long as everything looks like this on the next page, you can continue.

• Press “continue” on the next page.

• Then press “continue” one more time.

• The next page asks you to assign a key/value name to the micro-instance you are running. This is entirely arbitrary and will not be used at any point here, so you can name these whatever you want, or simply leave it blank.

• For the next page, you’re requested to create a name for your key pair. This will be used later on to log into the micro-instance. After you assign another arbitrary name, you can download this key pair.

• On the next security page you need to select the “quick-start” bubble, then click “continue”.

• Finally you can “launch” your instance!
Creating a keyfile and setting up PuTTY

Remember where you saved that keyfile that you downloaded earlier? Now we’re going to turn that keyfile into something usable with PuTTY.
  • Open “puttygen.exe”.

• Click “load” and search for the key you saved from Amazon. You will have to select “all files” in the bottom right as the file you’re looking for is a .pem file, and not a .ppk file.

• Click “save private key” and save it somewhere you’ll remember for later on.
Now it’s time to configure the program that we downloaded earlier, PuTTY.
  • When you first open up PuTTY, there will be two empty boxes for information. “Host Name (or IP address)” and “Port”. In the “Host Name” box, you need to enter your EC2 information from Amazon. Go to https://console.aws.amazon.com/ec2 and click “1 Running Instance” to bring up a list containing the instance you launched earlier. Select it. At the bottom of the screen you will see your Amazon EC2 IP (it will look something like this). Enter this into the PuTTY Host Name box. For “Port” you can enter “22″.

• Make sure the connection type is set to SSH.

• On the left side of the PuTTY window, scroll down and expand “Connection”, then select “Data”.

• Here you want to enter your “Auto-login username” as “ubuntu”.

• Now expand “SSH”, then select the “Auth” option.

• In the empty box here you need to search for and enter the location of the keyfile you saved earlier using puttygen.

• Now select “Tunnels”. On this screen you want to enter 8080  in the “Source port” box, and make sure you’ve selected the “Dynamic” bubble beneath. Now press “Add” and “D8080″ should appear in the box above.

• Now scroll all the way back up to “Session” on the left side, enter whatever you want in the “Saved Sessions” box, then press the “Save” button on the right to save these settings. Now when you open PuTTY, all you’ll have to do is press “Load” and “Open” to recall these settings and open your SSH tunnel.
Use Windows 7 Firewall to block Skype
  • Search for “Advanced” on Windows 7 and “Windows Firewall with Advanced Security” should come up.

• Select “Outbound Rules” from the left column

• In the top left, select the “Action” menu and click on “New Rule…”

• A box will appear on your screen. Select “Program” and click the next button.

• Browse your computer for Skype to block, then press “Next”.

• Press “Next” one more time, all three boxes should be marked on this screen.

• You can create whatever name you want here; I called my rule “SkypeBlock”.
Now Windows 7 will not allow Skype to make any outbound connections! To test and make sure that this worked, try to open up Skype right now. If you were successful, Skype should fail to connect to the internet.
Force Skype to route through localhost
  • On the Skype login windows, click “Tools”, then press the “Connection options” button.

• Under this connection tab, you need to make sure “SOCKS5″ is selected in the drop down menu. Now you need to enter “127.0.0.1″ for the “Host” box and “8080″ for the “Port” box.
And that’s it, you’re done!
Now any time you want to log onto Skype behind your Amazon proxy, all you have to do is open PuTTY, load your settings, then connect to your EC2 instance (via the “Open” button) and you should be good to go!

Source: http://blog.destiny....ddos-attacks/3/

Edited by hurrdurr, 11 September 2013 - 01:08 AM.

#2 hurrdurr

hurrdurr
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Thorium Brotherhood
  • Vengeance

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:55 PM

Thank you basedstick for cleaning up the format for the OP.  :D

Edited by hurrdurr, 18 November 2012 - 08:10 PM.

#3 AEWAE

AEWAE
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Darkspear
  • Cyclone
  • Talents: Affliction 0/0/1/0/2/0
  • RBG: 2019

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:07 PM

Awesome. Xo

#4 Slythor

Slythor
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Kargath
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Restoration 0/2/1/1/0/0
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:08 PM

Since your using public proxies, your skype will lag quite often.

editing the registry for skype is a good idea, but use a private proxy that doesn't have so much traffic going through it.
Posted Image

#5 Razorx

Razorx
  • Content Editors
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Fire 0/2/1/2/1/2
  • RBG: 2495

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:34 PM

any recommended site for paid proxies?
www.athenelive.com/bludz

www.skill-capped.com/#1050

Blud 1 - 2900+ Multi Comp : http://www.warcraftm...w.php?id=196599

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Bludtv

[20:54:44] Alexis Jagger: they'll just laugh at me in lfr
[20:54:45] Alexis Jagger: i don't even know

#6 Slythor

Slythor
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Kargath
  • Vindication
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:53 PM

its up to where you live, many companies that sell private proxies will have varied locations.

you want to buy one with unlimited bandwidth and the location is relatively close to you for the lowest latency possible.
Posted Image

#7 Berèn

Berèn
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Auchindoun
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Fire 0/2/0/2/1/0
  • 2v2: 1588
  • 3v3: 384

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:57 PM

nice info, would ye not recommend a public proxy
Posted Image

#8 hurrdurr

hurrdurr
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Thorium Brotherhood
  • Vengeance

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:21 PM

Public proxies are just fine, they don't lag for me in calls.  With public proxies you can't host group calls otherwise it is going to sound like shit.  You can buy a proxy or a vps or some shit like that, but it isn't necessary for skype.

#9 Geru

Geru
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • RBG: 2327

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:17 AM

using a public german proxy since a few days and I dont really feel any difference, can host calls with 1 person atleast, didnt try it with more than that

#10 Thaya

Thaya
  • Moderators
  • LocationRussia

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:09 AM

Where the fuck is step 5? I'm totally lost now ffs
Default UI Scripts - Compilation & how-to

#11 hurrdurr

hurrdurr
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Thorium Brotherhood
  • Vengeance

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:46 AM

My bad, fixt the first post.

#12 yeye

yeye
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Aegwynn
  • Blutdurst
  • Talents: Frost 1/2/0/1/1/1
  • LocationGER

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:09 AM

View Posthurrdurr, on 18 November 2012 - 10:21 PM, said:

Public proxies are just fine, they don't lag for me in calls.  With public proxies you can't host group calls otherwise it is going to sound like shit.  You can buy a proxy or a vps or some shit like that, but it isn't necessary for skype.

Even proxies werent necessary (atleast for most of us, not speaking of ie geru), if people would be able to shut the fuck up and not share any contacts to those idiots.
If people get your skype due to your stream, http://www.teamliqui...topic_id=225200

Otherwise I could recommend Perfect Privacy, which is also anonymous and not logging any of the content you are browsing, if you are in need of it. It's also stable and fast, never had problems with it. http://www.perfect-p...m/services.html
25~ per month or 150~ a year. Would be the highest possible, in terms of quality, kind of VPN service you could use.
Otherwise most of the usual ones do it for skype, ie cyberghostvpn, which also has a 1m (or traffic? I don't remember exactly, as I don't use it) restriction for "free-premium". So you are able to test the premium service for free (you can choose the VPN, it's location and the speed/quality). Afterwards you are able to purchase trafficbased flats or the unlimited packet, prices are 4-10€ per month
http://cyberghostvpn...urf-anonym.html

Edited by yeye, 19 November 2012 - 09:17 AM.

#13 hurrdurr

hurrdurr
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Thorium Brotherhood
  • Vengeance

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:36 AM

View Postyeye, on 19 November 2012 - 09:09 AM, said:

Even proxies werent necessary (atleast for most of us, not speaking of ie geru), if people would be able to shut the fuck up and not share any contacts to those idiots.
If people get your skype due to your stream, http://www.teamliqui...topic_id=225200

Otherwise I could recommend Perfect Privacy, which is also anonymous and not logging any of the content you are browsing, if you are in need of it. It's also stable and fast, never had problems with it. http://www.perfect-p...m/services.html
25~ per month or 150~ a year. Would be the highest possible, in terms of quality, kind of VPN service you could use.
Otherwise most of the usual ones do it for skype, ie cyberghostvpn, which also has a 1m (or traffic? I don't remember exactly, as I don't use it) restriction for "free-premium". So you are able to test the premium service for free (you can choose the VPN, it's location and the speed/quality). Afterwards you are able to purchase trafficbased flats or the unlimited packet, prices are 4-10€ per month
http://cyberghostvpn...urf-anonym.html

Why do you idiots insist on using these private proxies?  If you really want to throw away your money can I pretend to sell you guys these super safe proxies and you idiots just throw your money at me?  They are totally unnecessary for skype.  Also, when you alt tab with stream privacy it still shows your tasks in the middle of the screen, which shows your skype username.  ;)

Edited by hurrdurr, 19 November 2012 - 09:37 AM.

#14 hypermode_4274975

hypermode_4274975
  • Junkies
  • Taurenclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Elemental 1/1/0/0/0/0
  • RBG: 2309

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:48 AM

View Postyeye, on 19 November 2012 - 09:09 AM, said:

The problem is, that if even well-known players like melby start ddossing, it is really hard to keep your ip a secret, since you will be playing with alot of the semi-top players (who are the ones known to do the ddossing) or one of their acomplices at some point or another, its just impossible to always be on the lookout for who you give your skype info

#15 yeye

yeye
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Aegwynn
  • Blutdurst
  • Talents: Frost 1/2/0/1/1/1
  • LocationGER

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:57 AM

View Posthurrdurr, on 19 November 2012 - 09:36 AM, said:

Why do you idiots insist on using these private proxies?  If you really want to throw away your money can I pretend to sell you guys these super safe proxies and you idiots just throw your money at me?  They are totally unnecessary for skype.  Also, when you alt tab with stream privacy it still shows your tasks in the middle of the screen, which shows your skype username.  Posted Image

Want to see your face if your public proxy shuts down in the middle of an important match ( ;
yes, stream privacy is sadly not perfect atm nor are public proxies.
especially when you are under attack, public proxies tend to shut off. Depends on the person which is DDoSing you (iam talking about ddos, not shell booting), if he/she lends a botnet, you can be pretty damn sure your public proxy will just shut off.

View Posthypermode_4274975, on 19 November 2012 - 09:48 AM, said:

The problem is, that if even well-known players like melby start ddossing, it is really hard to keep your ip a secret, since you will be playing with alot of the semi-top players (who are the ones known to do the ddossing) or one of their acomplices at some point or another, its just impossible to always be on the lookout for who you give your skype info

it feels atm like people start with it to be "on par", sadly. Mostly the problem are people who just share a contact with anyone who is asking for it.

Edited by yeye, 19 November 2012 - 09:58 AM.

#16 hurrdurr

hurrdurr
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Thorium Brotherhood
  • Vengeance

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:00 AM

View Postyeye, on 19 November 2012 - 09:57 AM, said:

Want to see your face if your public proxy shuts down in the middle of an important match ( ;
yes, stream privacy is sadly not perfect atm nor are public proxies.
especially when you are under attack, public proxies tend to shut off.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

fuck it, close enough

Edited by hurrdurr, 19 November 2012 - 10:01 AM.

#17 Adden

Adden
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • EU-Ravencrest
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Restoration 0/2/0/1/0/0
  • 2v2: 2190
  • 5v5: 480
  • RBG: 2490

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:46 PM

the free proxy for Sweden is working really bad for me :( takes ages to login on Skype and I dc every once in awhile.. anyone know any other proxies? paid or free..

#18 Jenkin

Jenkin
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Ner'zhul
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Fire 1/2/0/1/1/2
  • RBG: 2219

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:44 PM

PM me if you need help with getting some proxies.
Posted Image
www.serverunavailable.com - US based premium proxies

#19 amirdaheat

amirdaheat
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Shadow 1/2/0/1/2/2
  • RBG: 2269

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:25 PM

Any1 know how to remove this completely? I can't connect to skype anymore, and the instructions on removing this isn't very clear.
Posted Image

#20 Jenkin

Jenkin
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Ner'zhul
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Fire 1/2/0/1/1/2
  • RBG: 2219

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

View Postamirdaheat, on 22 November 2012 - 01:25 PM, said:

Any1 know how to remove this completely? I can't connect to skype anymore, and the instructions on removing this isn't very clear.

this is the file we give to our customers to remove their proxy.

www.serverunavailable.com/setup/removeproxy.reg

save that file. run it, click yes.
completely restart skype and it should work

Edited by Jenkin, 22 November 2012 - 02:43 PM.

Posted Image
www.serverunavailable.com - US based premium proxies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<