#1 nurmal

nurmal
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Warsong
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Frost

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:08 PM

Im about to go to tokyo and buy some stuff, just have some doubts on memory and oc.

Im gonna buy:

ASRock Z77 Extreme6

Intel Core i5 3570K BOX

and will OC it to ~ 4ghz
my doubt is about the memory, im thinking about buying g-skill memories:

G.SKILL SNIPER F3-17000CL9D-8GBSR (DDR3 PC3-17000 4G 2枚組)

will that work @ 2133 or its a waste? and should i worry about a better cooler for them and the cpu? what about the psu? will i need to buy a better one to oc that cpu and a radeon 7870 or 520w are enough?

im new to OC, so any tip would be nice :duckers:

#2 Pharaun

Pharaun
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:38 PM

Yes

2133 is a waste.  1866 is a waste.  Get 1333 or 1600, whichever appears cheaper.  Unless you're doing things which are severely gated on memory speed, like, uh... winzip.  Or.  Something.  Not for gaming.

It would be better to get an aftermarket cooler for OC, if only because the stock one is an annoying loud piece of shit.  Hyper212 is the standard entry level one, not sure what's available in Tokyo.

520w is sufficient.  An OC ivy probably draws less power than your current CPU.
"Who, after all, is today speaking of the destruction of the Armenians?"

-Adolf Hitler, 1939

#3 nurmal

nurmal
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Warsong
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Frost

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:44 PM

Hmmm what about memory brand and latency/voltage? Does it matter or should i buy Adata ( the cheapest one here) ?

#4 Pharaun

Pharaun
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:48 PM

You would prefer 1.5v not 1.65v for sandy bridge / ivy bridge.  I think adata's 1333 ram is all 1.5v.  Even if it is 1.65v it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Memory is like the most unreliable part in a normal computer after hard drives.  If you have a single computer, there's a good chance you won't run into problems with any given ram, regardless of brand.  If you have ten servers with 8+ dimms each, then you might notice the difference.
"Who, after all, is today speaking of the destruction of the Armenians?"

-Adolf Hitler, 1939

#5 chaplain

chaplain
  • Members

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:11 AM

as far as I'm aware Samsung overclocks pretty well if you like fiddling with memory OCs

#6 Dahone

Dahone
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Mug'thol
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Frost 1/0/1/0/1/1
  • RBG: 1360
  • LocationQuebec Canada

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:19 AM

View Postnurmal, on 18 November 2012 - 10:44 PM, said:

Hmmm what about memory brand and latency/voltage? Does it matter or should i buy Adata ( the cheapest one here) ?

IF you are going to OC then don't worry too much about it pick a good ram that work good oced, You will have to change de Latency and Voltage when you overclock the pc. Oh and also the Ram voltage even if it says  1.65v  by default in the mobo the default setting will run it at 1.5v so don't worry too much but on sandy/ivy its not recommanded manually setting it over 1.5
For the Cooler I am using the Hyper 212 EVO and work great on my i7 Oc to 4.6Ghz  while playing game temps are not going over 50C

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<