#21 Shaylá

Shaylá
  • Members
  • Taurenclass_name
  • EU-Onyxia
  • Raserei / Frenzy
  • Talents:

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:05 PM

You act as if it's the easiest thing in the world to break into a house/ a store and just steal a weapon, then get away with it unnoticed. Especially for someone who has zero experience in doing so.

#22 yourmomrofl

yourmomrofl
  • Members
  • Trollclass_name
  • EU-Vashj
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Blood

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:23 PM

I don't think he implied people won't commit the crime because of breaking the gun law, but because getting gun itself can be huge obstacle, especially for a teenager. Guns aren't like weed where you know tons of people selling it even though it's illegal.

View PostZenneroth, on 03 March 2011 - 07:42 PM, said:

Alright, so I've started experimenting with alcohol (only 20 so I can't go out to bars yet) and last weekend my brother and I were chillin out, watching netflix, and I started drinking at around 10 in the morning. I get tipsy and keep around that level till about 6 PM, then after the buzz wore off I felt like shit. It wasn't necisarily a headache, the best I can describe it is how you feel when you are really fucking tired but not sleepy. Anyway I tried to get feeling better by drinking water but I didn't feel any better until I woke up the next morning.

#23 Sykeasaurus

Sykeasaurus
  • Moderators
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Shadow

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:43 PM

And if he wanted to do said crime, he'd still find a means to an end.  What's the mystery here

bk said:

I used to beat off alot, and fail all my classes

Insight said:

I figured he's a phony but I was secretly hoping to get pounded by someone famous.

View PostTw1zle, on 07 August 2011 - 11:05 PM, said:

i wasnt aware that america was a country

i guess we learn things every day

#24 Sykeasaurus

Sykeasaurus
  • Moderators
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:49 PM

I don't think you're aware how long and thought out these types of unfortunate killings are.  If these people want to commit these crimes, they're going to happen regardless of the gun laws.  That's just not the way to combat these types of things.

bk said:

Insight said:

I figured he's a phony but I was secretly hoping to get pounded by someone famous.

#25 Shaylá

Shaylá
  • Members
  • Taurenclass_name
  • EU-Onyxia
  • Raserei / Frenzy
  • Talents:

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:58 PM

In the case of OP you are completely and a hundred percent right, since it was that well planned it probably wouldn't have changed anything. But this certainly doesn't apply to every psycopathic teenager shooting there was and there will be. Gun laws definitely are not the biggest factor when talking shooting and I think we are all aware of that, but saying that they're completely negligible is just wrong. Not every shooting was planned over several days, weeks, or months. Many were a spontaneous reaction to extreme cases of bullying and happened just the day after the incident. And for these cases, the direct availability of guns could most definitely have made a difference.

#26 Bloodriot

Bloodriot
  • Members

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:07 PM

http://www.guardian....-crime-us-state
Posted Image

#27 Hobbeś

Hobbeś
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Tanaris
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Unholy

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:44 PM

Anybody willing to look up total crimes in the US and total crimes in Europe, maybe even figure out their rates per 100,000 and then post that information for me?

#28 Sykeasaurus

Sykeasaurus
  • Moderators
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:14 PM

View PostShaylá, on 20 November 2012 - 04:58 PM, said:

In the case of OP you are completely and a hundred percent right, since it was that well planned it probably wouldn't have changed anything. But this certainly doesn't apply to every psycopathic teenager shooting there was and there will be. Gun laws definitely are not the biggest factor when talking shooting and I think we are all aware of that, but saying that they're completely negligible is just wrong. Not every shooting was planned over several days, weeks, or months. Many were a spontaneous reaction to extreme cases of bullying and happened just the day after the incident. And for these cases, the direct availability of guns could most definitely have made a difference.

View PostSykeasaurus, on 20 November 2012 - 02:19 PM, said:

Why anyone thinks gun laws have an effect on people like this is what's bewildering

I said that the first post.  I'm glad we had a back and forth over something I already said, though.  Posted Image

bk said:

Insight said:

#29 stcolbert

stcolbert
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Eredar
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Holy

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:57 PM

You'll only ever find Americans defending slack gun laws, it's quite comical.

Look, if you have more strict gun laws it's going to be harder for those mentally fucked up people to acquire them which, by generalizing, can lead to three scenarios:

1)  Like Syke said, they get the gun and they commit the crime anyways.
2)  They get caught trying to acquire/carrying the gun and their whole plan gets thwarted.
3)  They can't get a gun and resort to something else, say a knife, or machete.  In this case the amount of damage that they are able to inflict goes down greatly.

You're argument syke is equivalent to saying that allowing the public to buy military bombs and rocket launchers is fine because the crazies will find out how to do it anyways.  This may be true but you don't simple help them along with their plans by giving them access to these weapons, that is fucking stupid.

Gun laws and restrictions is a means to damage control, not complete crime prevention but is still important.
I'm always right.
Posted Image

#30 Breadstick

Breadstick
  • Moderators
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Arena Tournament 1
  • Coliseum 1
  • Talents: Affliction

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:03 PM

one thing that i always wonder about is whether strict gun laws in the US would actually make it harder to obtain weapons or not at this point

what i mean by that is, we've had the 2nd amendment for so long that there's so many weapons here, if we enforced stricter gun laws now would it even do anything until years later?

i realize the strict gun laws seem to be working in europe, but i don't know how long they've had those laws. i don't know if it's the same as letting everyone have guns and then being like "alright this isn't working we're gonna take them back now." i'm just curious how that situation plays out
s a d b o y s

#31 stcolbert

stcolbert
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Eredar
  • Vindication

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:10 PM

View PostBreadstick, on 20 November 2012 - 08:03 PM, said:

one thing that i always wonder about is whether strict gun laws in the US would actually make it harder to obtain weapons or not at this point

what i mean by that is, we've had the 2nd amendment for so long that there's so many weapons here, if we enforced stricter gun laws now would it even do anything until years later?

i realize the strict gun laws seem to be working in europe, but i don't know how long they've had those laws. i don't know if it's the same as letting everyone have guns and then being like "alright this isn't working we're gonna take them back now." i'm just curious how that situation plays out
Valid point.  Ofcourse you may not see immediate results but it is planning for the future.
I'm always right.
Posted Image

#32 Hobbeś

Hobbeś
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Tanaris
  • Nightfall

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:29 PM

What's the end goal of banning firearms?

#33 Bloodriot

Bloodriot
  • Members

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:43 PM

They should allow guns, but they should make bullets extremely expensive. That way you'd know anyone that got shot deserved it if it is $5000 a bullet.
Posted Image

#34 Sykeasaurus

Sykeasaurus
  • Moderators
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:34 PM

View Poststcolbert, on 20 November 2012 - 07:57 PM, said:

You'll only ever find Americans defending slack gun laws, it's quite comical.

Look, if you have more strict gun laws it's going to be harder for those mentally fucked up people to acquire them which, by generalizing, can lead to three scenarios:

1)  Like Syke said, they get the gun and they commit the crime anyways.
2)  They get caught trying to acquire/carrying the gun and their whole plan gets thwarted.
3)  They can't get a gun and resort to something else, say a knife, or machete.  In this case the amount of damage that they are able to inflict goes down greatly.

You're argument syke is equivalent to saying that allowing the public to buy military bombs and rocket launchers is fine because the crazies will find out how to do it anyways.  This may be true but you don't simple help them along with their plans by giving them access to these weapons, that is fucking stupid.

Gun laws and restrictions is a means to damage control, not complete crime prevention but is still important.

You're being sensationalist about it and extreme to convey a point.  Not really equivalent, no.

bk said:

Insight said:

#35 FTRouslan

FTRouslan
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Maiev
  • Whirlwind
  • Talents: Frost
  • RBG: 1141

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:10 PM

View PostBloodriot, on 20 November 2012 - 08:43 PM, said:

They should allow guns, but they should make bullets extremely expensive. That way you'd know anyone that got shot deserved it if it is $5000 a bullet.

Chris Rock lol
Nasty, brutish, and about 6'1".

View PostNameswapro, on 18 November 2014 - 09:38 PM, said:

Look at me. I can start and stop wars, at will. I can save or destroy the world. I can do anything I fucking want. Just now, I pissed near my toilet bowl because I fucking can.

#36 Hobbeś

Hobbeś
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Tanaris
  • Nightfall

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:11 PM

Just post some statistics showing the before and after crime/homicide rates of countries who enacted strict gun control laws. That should settle it, right?

#37 Reliuna

Reliuna
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Naxxramas
  • Sturmangriff / Charge
  • Talents: Balance
  • LocationSweden

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:32 PM

View PostHobbeś, on 20 November 2012 - 08:29 PM, said:

What's the end goal of banning firearms?

World peace and to minimize freedom of all americans as much as possible.
Posted Image

#38 stcolbert

stcolbert
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Eredar
  • Vindication

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:10 AM

View PostSykeasaurus, on 20 November 2012 - 10:34 PM, said:

You're being sensationalist about it and extreme to convey a point.  Not really equivalent, no.
Extreme to convey a point? Yes

Not equivalent? Sure it is.

I'm not sure how anyone could think that stricter gun laws wouldn't reduce SHOOTINGS.
I'm always right.
Posted Image

#39 Shipupi

Shipupi
  • Members
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Detheroc
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents:

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:14 AM

View PostHobbeś, on 20 November 2012 - 11:11 PM, said:

Just post some statistics showing the before and after crime/homicide rates of countries who enacted strict gun control laws. That should settle it, right?

I posted a chart I made last time we had this discussion and murder rates weren't related to the amount of guns per citizen.

Couldnt find the chart :(

If someone has link to the batman shootings i might find it there
Posted Image

#40 Shipupi

Shipupi
  • Members
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Detheroc
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents:

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:18 AM

ok found it

So i plotted gun possession vs Intentional homicides... I don't see a clear relationship

Sorry it's ugly

Data from wikipedia
Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<