• Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Burning Blade
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Elemental 2/1/2/0/0/2
  • RBG: 576
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:42 AM

I would like to buy a 2nd monitor and play wow on the new one and have the 2nd one for browsing/watching movies or netflix.

My computer is about a year old so the GPU is decent, It's a AMD 6770, I'm not sure if it will be able to handle a 2nd monitor, any feedback? I also stream a lot of wow arena so what I would like to do is stream my main monitor and have skype/whatever on the other one.

My current one is a 19 inch HP monitor/ its 1280x1024 display.

I have no idea if i should upgrade my GPU or just get the other monitor, I was looking at a 23 inch Asus monitor for around $160, I'm looking to keep it under $170 for monitor and $150ish for a GPU so thats why im not sure if its worth to upgrade my GPU atm.

ANy feedback pls?

Posted Image

#2 Pharaun

Pharaun
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:58 AM

6770 should be sufficient for two monitors if only one is gaming, especially if that game is just Wow.  In the ~$150 range you could get something like a GTX 660 which would be an upgrade, but for World of Warcraft I don't know if I see the point.

If you're looking at just some random cheap 60Hz tn panel in the $100~$180 range, they're basically all the same.

Personally I would drop that $300~$350 into a single 27" IPS panel like this: http://www.ebay.com/...=item20cb8b78a5

Maybe not the best idea.  If your CPU is not great, or you're really anal about 1 stuck pixel out of 3.5m pixels, or if you're dead set on streaming on the new monitor and your CPU is not amazing, or if you want to play a more graphically intensive game than Wow... lot of reasons to not take my idea.
"Who, after all, is today speaking of the destruction of the Armenians?"

-Adolf Hitler, 1939

#3 Improve

Improve
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Burning Blade
  • Vindication
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:09 AM

View PostPharaun, on 16 November 2012 - 07:58 AM, said:

6770 should be sufficient for two monitors if only one is gaming, especially if that game is just Wow.  In the ~$150 range you could get something like a GTX 660 which would be an upgrade, but for World of Warcraft I don't know if I see the point.

If you're looking at just some random cheap 60Hz tn panel in the $100~$180 range, they're basically all the same.

Personally I would drop that $300~$350 into a single 27" IPS panel like this: http://www.ebay.com/...=item20cb8b78a5

Maybe not the best idea.  If your CPU is not great, or you're really anal about 1 stuck pixel out of 3.5m pixels, or if you're dead set on streaming on the new monitor and your CPU is not amazing, or if you want to play a more graphically intensive game than Wow... lot of reasons to not take my idea.

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah I think ill end up keeping my 6770 for now, as far as my CPU goes, its a intel core i5-2320k at 3.2 ghz i believe so it's pretty strong. I might just go with the 2nd monitor for now, keep the new one for wow and the other just for netflix/internet browsing.

I have been getting weird graphic problems in game like character portraits not showing or bugging out, not sure if its from my GPU or just WoW.

Any more feedback? Also how is this monitor:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16824236059

I don't know much about what the best resolutions/screen sizes are, I would just like something up to date and will last me a while and just look good in general.

Posted Image

#4 chaplain

chaplain
  • Members

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:43 PM

if you want to step up in terms of quality you'll need to drop some more money on an IPS panel or a 120hz monitor. 120hz monitors also require that you have strong hardware to get the added benefit of smooth high fps.

ebayed korean LG IPS panels are cheap and high image quality. you run the risk of getting fucked on build quality/dead pixels though

any solid TN panel monitor will do otherwise, I'd suggest the Dell ST2321L, its only $135 on amazon.

#5 Improve

Improve
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Burning Blade
  • Vindication
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:03 PM

View Postchaplain, on 16 November 2012 - 02:43 PM, said:

if you want to step up in terms of quality you'll need to drop some more money on an IPS panel or a 120hz monitor. 120hz monitors also require that you have strong hardware to get the added benefit of smooth high fps.

ebayed korean LG IPS panels are cheap and high image quality. you run the risk of getting fucked on build quality/dead pixels though

any solid TN panel monitor will do otherwise, I'd suggest the Dell ST2321L, its only $135 on amazon.

what is an IPS panel?

I'm not looking for amazing quality just a 2nd monitor I can attach to my computer, I know that higher resolution is heavy on your GPU so I would probably run medium settings on it.

That dell monitor actually looks pretty good, I might end up ordering it, just need a few more opinions.

Posted Image

#6 Pharaun

Pharaun
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:19 AM

View PostImprove, on 16 November 2012 - 09:03 PM, said:

I'm not looking for amazing quality just a 2nd monitor I can attach to my computer, I know that higher resolution is heavy on your GPU so I would probably run medium settings on it.

That dell monitor actually looks pretty good, I might end up ordering it, just need a few more opinions.
Pretty much all cheap 60hz tn panels are the same, more or less.  That dell should be fine.

View PostImprove, on 16 November 2012 - 09:03 PM, said:

what is an IPS panel?
http://www.teamliqui...topic_id=308280

Spoiler

-Adolf Hitler, 1939

#7 Improve

Improve
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Burning Blade
  • Vindication
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:43 AM

would i be okay with a 75mhz monitor? that dell and a few others ive been looking at have been 75ish mhz, i dont want somethign really over the top like the 120mhz stuff. I might end up ordering the Dell because its cheaper than the asus.

Posted Image

#8 Pharaun

Pharaun
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:13 AM

If your computer can't drive more than 60FPS, there's usually not much point at all in getting a >60Hz monitor.

-Adolf Hitler, 1939

#9 Dahone

Dahone
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Mug'thol
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Frost 1/0/1/0/1/1
  • RBG: 1360
  • LocationQuebec Canada

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:36 PM

Asus  screen you are looking for will be pretty decent and good for what you are looking,   get a ATI7770  for 130~  or you could save a bit more for a GTX660 Wich imo would be the best card under 200

#10 Dahone

Dahone
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Mug'thol
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Frost 1/0/1/0/1/1
  • RBG: 1360
  • LocationQuebec Canada

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:38 PM

View PostImprove, on 17 November 2012 - 03:43 AM, said:

would i be okay with a 75mhz monitor? that dell and a few others ive been looking at have been 75ish mhz, i dont want somethign really over the top like the 120mhz stuff. I might end up ordering the Dell because its cheaper than the asus.

For wow  60hz is perfect you are not playing a FPS where  120hz and having constant 120+ FPs required.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<