#1 Macnas

Macnas
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Arcane 0/2/0/2/2/.

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:03 PM

How are top mages dealing with be trained by melee for an entire game? Warriors on me basically mean casting frost bomb is super tough and if there is a hunter forget about it. now for most games i feel like i am relying on my partner to put out most of the pressure until small openings for instant cc and some burst. It just feels non strategic and not viable. Also Losing COC nova makes me feel like we don't have any freezes.

Help a brother out - I've played Mage spriest Druid and now have had some success with warrior Mage pally only because the warrior does more dmg than everyone else combined. However at a 2k mmr that might work but I feel as we move up that will stop working.

Thanks

#2 Macnas

Macnas
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:52 PM

Any suggestions. After watching venruki it seems like positioning was huge but even then he still got jacked up for a while.

Thanks

#3 Top

• Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents:

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:10 PM

I played mage pretty much exclusively from day 1 till this xpack. I knew it was going to be a shit show this xpack from the way hunters and warriors were on beta so I declined dealing with the above scenario and have not played mage this xpack. Since no one has responded yet, I'll give my perspective, but take it with a grain of salt.

Played a lot of god comp and war/mage/rdruid so far (as the rdruid). You're right about positioning. That should be your main focus, second being peels. While playing godcomp I'd CC a dps frequently to free up the mage. That comp has the benefit of being able to stay alive and stretch games out so it should open up some opportunities vs the cleave type comps.

Once you survive the opening burst (pom ring, alter time, block, life transfer, off heals, tree form), your team becomes powerful in having more CC as your disposal than the other team. The priest can play aggressive positioning while you kite and try to get the warrior in a bad spot. Your druid should be helping you. USE KNOCKOFFS where available. You don't wan to kite on top of your druid and open him up to a shockwave or warrior fear. The opportunities you do get to burst, make the most of them. You don't NEED the spriest there with you, force the other teams healer to be pressured by the warrior chasing you into a bad spot. Optimally we try to line up spriest 3 orb spike with mage burst and some druid CC, but don't rely on it exclusively as a mage can dump on someone pretty effectively solo. It works well.

I've also played a decent amount of war/bm/druid. What frustrates me the most is when my warrior chases too far and forces me into a bad spot to heal him. Additionally, the dps on my team cry about mages who get 2 blocks and bop to go through for the kill. Even better if you can get alter time in there. As KFC if the kill target on a team like that lasts through warrior CDs and stampede, we usually have to ride it out until some dps CDs are back up again and hope the mage doesn't have block or bop at the ready.

Either way, I feel your pain. Have always hated hunters, hopefully things right themselves soon and hunter are squashed into 3% arena representation again soon :)

#4 Macnas

Macnas
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:05 PM

That's great thanks man. I hope we don't get too hard by the upcoming nerfs.

I appreciate the insight and anymore to come

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mage, warrior, hunter, dK, Rogue

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<