Thief leveling

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Buglamp

Buglamp
  • Members

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:42 PM

Just in case people could use the info I figured I'd share what's working for me, feel free to add.

Thief is very easy to level even without optimizing, definitely the easiest profession for me so far hands down, but of course faster/easier is better.

#1. Rule for me is always have shortbow. Choking Gas and Cluster Bomb can be comboed for AoE weakness if needed, and then you can just kite around spamming more Cluster Bombs(one of the easiest AoEs in the game to use on the move since it has no facing requirements or cast time) and autoattacks. Ideal for groups.

Sword / Pistol set up for spamming Pistol Whip I think is the ideal secondary choice. Use the signet of malice(health gain each time you hit something) with it and you can solo pretty tough mobs(veterans and such) because Pistol Whip strikes 9 times rapidly for serious health gains. It's not bad even for gaining health w/shortbow. Using this set up you don't have any stealth options, but I haven't really needed stealth yet.

For boss events, a pistol/dagger set up might be better just to not be in melee range, 'cause it's better single target damage than shortbow. I CBA switching just for those though so I just spam cluster bombs. Pistol/Dagger gives you a decent ability to use w/signet of malice too though, and you'd have a stealth option. If you really don't want to be w/out stealth it's a solid alternative to Sword/Pistol.

As for traits, I recommend going into Acrobatics and Shadow Arts first. You do plenty of damage without going glass cannon mode, and mobs can hit fairly hard sometimes. Acrobatics can give you might when you dodge(along with swiftness which is decent for traveling a bit faster) which can stack up to give you significant damage boost vs. any enemy that you don't burst down before it matters.

For utilities, obviously 25% movement speed from signet of shadows is a no brainer just for running around the large zones, and it's great for kiting of course too. Caltrops is fucking amazing for AoEing, a 10 second 50% snare plus bleed damage, and only a 30 second cooldown. The third choice probably isn't very important relatively, but I use infilitrator's signet for the extra initiative gains so far, not sure it's the best choice yet though.

#2 BaklivaX

BaklivaX
  • Members
  • LocationSerbia

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:41 PM

Same lvling with shortbow/sword+pistol (unless its really outdated), also using caltrops but since im only 20 lvl i dont have signet of shadows so im using human thingy that gives random condition on enemy and random boon on myself, 12 sec CD pretty good.
Posted Image

#3 Mercurias

Mercurias
  • Members
  • Goblinclass_name
  • EU-Auchindoun
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Assassination
  • RBG: 1509
  • LocationNewark on Trent, UK

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:38 PM

I'm using dagger/pistol pistol/dagger, which probably isn't optimal but I just can't seem to get on with the shortbow. The main reason I'm running with this setup though is the ability to hop in and out of fights.

Sword/Pistol is pretty awesome but it does kind of leave you sitting through a long animation when sometimes you want to be doing something else lol.

I've got signets for all my utils as I get might stacks when I pop them, which can be handy when you need a bit of burst. Plus I like the passive benefits to them. Might give caltrops another bash though.

I'm using Hide in Shadows for my healing ability still cause I find it helps when I'm in the shit lol.

I'll probably have a bit of a rethink tonight though, cheers for the post :)
Spoiler

#4 Jamilol

Jamilol
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Stormreaver
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents:

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:28 AM

dagger/pistol all the way

#5 Buglamp

Buglamp
  • Members

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:59 PM

View PostMercurias, on 11 September 2012 - 12:38 PM, said:

I'm using dagger/pistol pistol/dagger, which probably isn't optimal but I just can't seem to get on with the shortbow. The main reason I'm running with this setup though is the ability to hop in and out of fights.

Sword/Pistol is pretty awesome but it does kind of leave you sitting through a long animation when sometimes you want to be doing something else lol.

I've got signets for all my utils as I get might stacks when I pop them, which can be handy when you need a bit of burst. Plus I like the passive benefits to them. Might give caltrops another bash though.

I'm using Hide in Shadows for my healing ability still cause I find it helps when I'm in the shit lol.

I'll probably have a bit of a rethink tonight though, cheers for the post :)

Sword/Pistol definitely won't be my choice for PvP since the animation length which you noted is probably not practical on anything but mindless mobs(could be wrong though, heard a fair number of PvP complaints about it). I just can't pass on it for leveling yet. Perhaps when I can trait Pistol/Dagger to be a bit better I'll swap because I do prefer the playstyle - Sword/Pistol is pretty much just spamming pistol whip to shred mobs and proc signet of malice. It's just so efficient though.

Not using the shortbow for leveling just seems like making thing unnecessarily harder on yourself though. In any event it's the best weapon for tagging mobs to get more XP and higher participation rank or whatever(bronze/silver/gold). If doing anything other than killing mobs 1-2 at a time it seems optimal.

#6 Mercurias

Mercurias
  • Members
  • Goblinclass_name
  • EU-Auchindoun
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Assassination
  • RBG: 1509
  • LocationNewark on Trent, UK

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:32 AM

View PostBuglamp, on 13 September 2012 - 10:59 PM, said:

Sword/Pistol definitely won't be my choice for PvP since the animation length which you noted is probably not practical on anything but mindless mobs(could be wrong though, heard a fair number of PvP complaints about it). I just can't pass on it for leveling yet. Perhaps when I can trait Pistol/Dagger to be a bit better I'll swap because I do prefer the playstyle - Sword/Pistol is pretty much just spamming pistol whip to shred mobs and proc signet of malice. It's just so efficient though.

Not using the shortbow for leveling just seems like making thing unnecessarily harder on yourself though. In any event it's the best weapon for tagging mobs to get more XP and higher participation rank or whatever(bronze/silver/gold). If doing anything other than killing mobs 1-2 at a time it seems optimal.

I decided to give the shortbow another bash last night in sPvP and I'm in love with it now lol, I'll be incorporating it in to my PvE setup tonight to see how I get on with it, but I'm feeling a lot more positive about it now :D

I'd say the best thing about dagger/pistol is how quickly you can get in to melee and black powder which makes it hard for anything t hit you.
Spoiler

#7 Rothira

Rothira
  • Members

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:54 PM

Maybe this helps someone ...
https://docs.google....NHOUdWR1E#gid=0

Posted Image

#8 Buglamp

Buglamp
  • Members

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:43 PM

View PostMercurias, on 14 September 2012 - 07:32 AM, said:

I decided to give the shortbow another bash last night in sPvP and I'm in love with it now lol, I'll be incorporating it in to my PvE setup tonight to see how I get on with it, but I'm feeling a lot more positive about it now :D

I'd say the best thing about dagger/pistol is how quickly you can get in to melee and black powder which makes it hard for anything t hit you.

Black Powder is a great option to have, but problem is for leveling, spending that much initiative on something that doesn't do damage is usually just slowing you down. Keeping it up means you're mostly just auto-attacking and using any utility slot damage option you have. I use it vs. some tough bronze/gold mobs like in skill challenges or events though.

One thing to keep in mind w/shortbow, if my observation is correct, is that splitting the cluster bomb = 3 stacks of burning if all hit your target(s) instead of just 1 for a single hit. And if using signet of malice it gives more healing when hitting with 3 vs. 1 projectile. It makes it kind of fun to use since you have to time and aim it right to get the most out of it. Though unfortunately burns don't do more damage w/more stacks, just longer duration.

#9 treeqt

treeqt
  • Members

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:18 PM

It's bleeding though ;)
[20:05:48] ALEXIS JAGGER: I'd like to think
[20:05:51] ALEXIS JAGGER: I'm a modest person

#10 Buglamp

Buglamp
  • Members

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:05 AM

Nice, I for some reason assumed it was burning since they were bombs. And somehow didn't notice the little blood drop, guess I thought it was a flame IDK. o_O

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<