• Curse Sites
Help

What does it take to become a gladiator?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bobby2323

Bobby2323
  • Members

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:36 AM

My friend and I recently started playing WoW, maybe 2 months ago. I play a Hunter, he plays a Warrior. We are both big PvP guys and as soon as I saw there was a title for being in the top %, I knew that was going to be my long term goal on WoW. So we started playing arenas maybe 2-3 weeks before the season ended, and we were able to achieve 1950 in 3s. I know it isn't the best, but given our play time and gear(full honor gear), and even after reading everywhere that you are a noob if you aren't 2-2.2k rating, I saw it as a positive sign.

Now after that backstory, here are my questions for you guys.

1. What exactly does it take to become a gladiator? Is it awareness and knowledge of the game more than anything else? Communication?

2. What should I be calling out?

3. What seperates good players from great ones?

4. How did you do in your first 2 months of PvP ever on WoW?

5. How long does it generally take to get "good" at WoW PvP?

#2 Atxx

Atxx
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Shadow 1/2/1/1/1/.

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:22 AM

1. You have to know not just your own class, but every class and ability in the game inside and out. Knowing your enemy is key. Additionally, communication is one of the most important parts of becoming a Gladiator. You need to know how to communicate EFFECTIVELY with your team, and make sure that you are communicating the right information.

2. This goes back to the communication, here is a short list of the things you should be communicating:  When you're going in offensively, When you're using cooldowns both offensive and defensive, when your trinket is up, when you need help, any crowd control spells, what you are going to interrupt / do interrupt, what you think the enemy is doing/setting up, and anything else that is important to maintaining control and cohesion in your game.

3. I believe what separates good players from great ones is the ability to judge, assess, and adapt to different situations at any time during a game. This just comes with knowledge, experience, and practice.

4. My first 2 months were terrible. I was too young and too new to gaming to have the cognitive ability to succeed and do well.

5. The time it takes to become good varies by individual, I don't think there is a set time. I became better by setting realistic goals for myself, 2K, 2.2K, 2.4K etc.. and worked towards achieving those goals. It's easier to set goals that you can work towards and

#3 Atxx

Atxx
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Shadow 1/2/1/1/1/.

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:23 AM

*And complete in steps.

#4 Smax

Smax
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Holy 2/1/1/2/2/0
  • RBG: 192

Posted 13 September 2012 - 02:08 PM

Hello, I'm Gladiator Smax. I'll do my best to answer your questsions in the order you asked them.

1. I think being successful on this game is a combination of two fundamental attributes, knowledge and skill.
You will need to know:
  • Every class in the game inside out. This way you can anticipate an opponents next move in order to throw in a counter. As a Holy Paladin, I have an ability with makes me immune to silences for 6 seconds. Because I know Rogues, I know that if they use Vanish, it's either because they want to Garrote (silence) me from stealth. I've stopped myself and my partners from suffering a Garrote countless times this way. And it's only because I know Rogues inside out.
  • The layout of the arenas. Know which points give LoS and which don't. Communicate positioning strategies with your partners. For example, on Blades Edge Arena, standing on the edge of the bridge you can stop a Rogue getting to your back.
  • How to keybind. Keybindings are essential if you're going to get anywhere in PvP. Have every single one of your abilites bound to your keyboard and mouse buttons.
  • How to customise your UI. For me, this played a huge part in getting Gladiator. Since starting Holy Paladin in S9, my UI changed somehow at least every week. Sometimes, a small configuration change to an existing addon and sometimes a whole new addon! Keep changing your UI until it's perfect for you. There are thousands of addons you can use!
  • How MMR and the ladders work. There's a lot of information on here and WoW's site about this. Make sure you understand the MMR system and how the ladders work with regards to disqualifications and such.
You will need the ability to:
  • Use your keybinds effectively. Make sure you know all of your keybinds without fail. Make sure they're in an easy spot to reach aswell.
  • Anticipate your opponents next move. This is the result of knowing all the classes. There's a good addon to help with anticipation called SpellAlerter. It alerts you of any spells that are cast by your enemies. You can choose which abilities it alerts you about.
  • Communicate successfully with your partners. Keep calm whilst speaking on Skype. Make sure you don't rage or whine. It's important to keep morale up! If you lose a game, don't start blaming. Simply discuss a better strategy with your partners. Also, whilst in arena, make sure you only call out things that are necessary. Remember, whilst in arena, your partners aren't interested in when you are using Steady Shot or how much you hate Mages!
  • Position yourself effectively. Positioning is key! Don't make yourself vulnerable by standing in LoS all day. Use LoS to your advantage and don't LoS/range your healer.
  • Manage your cooldowns effectively. I see so many Holy Paladins who use Avenging Wrath and Divine Favor in the same macro. Hell, I used to do it too! Use your CDs well, don't waste but don't save!
2. I've never played a Hunter so I'm not 100% on this. I think you should talk about when and who you will Scattertrap (Scatter Shot into a launched Freezing Trap). Call out Silencing Shot and Rapid Fire too. Basically, you need to call out your CC, CDs, vulnerabilities in your opponent and when you really need help/peals.

3. Determination. Everyone has the potential to be great! You just have to dedicate your time and effort with a constant belief that you can do it! The more and harder you play, the better you'll become!

4. My first 2 months of PvP started in S9 (First season of Cataclysm). This was when I first decided to try and become great! I got fully keybinded and transferred to my friend's server where I played to 2066 as Rogue/Warrior/H.Paladin

5. That depends entirely on the player. Some people learn fast, others slow. Some are stupid, some are smart. I agree with what Atxx says about goals. This is a very important process of improvement. Don't start thinking about Gladiator just yet. Achieve the achievable first.

Regards,
Smax :paladin:

#5 Aniroxlol

Aniroxlol
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Subtlety 1/2/2/1/0/0
  • 2v2: 1858
  • 3v3: 2007
  • RBG: 1923

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:48 PM

- Know your class 100%
- Have comfortable keybinds for every ability
- Have focus macros and arena target/focus macros
- Never rage or be arrogant (samx)
- Find partners you enjoy to play with who also don't rage
- Play lots of games

Success

#6 Jaadyn

Jaadyn
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Dragonmaw
  • Reckoning
  • Talents: Subtlety 1/0/2/1/0/.

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:03 AM

- Find partners you enjoy to play with who also don't tell on you when you wintrade for your first ever title.
- Most of what everyone said above, but especially my comments.
- Don't be a condescending faggot when you know you're a cheater.

#7 Jaadyn

Jaadyn
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Dragonmaw
  • Reckoning
  • Talents: Subtlety 1/0/2/1/0/.

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:07 AM

View PostEmopandah, on 15 September 2012 - 06:05 AM, said:

or you could aim big and go for r1 before even getting glad before by wintrading

from rival to rank 1 in 2 weeks of play time, legit player man. I don't know what you're talking about.

/endsarcasm.

+rep for the truth.

#8 GrieverZ

GrieverZ
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Thaurissan
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Marksmanship 2/0/2/0/1/0
  • 2v2: 1698
  • 3v3: 2495
  • 5v5: 1335
  • RBG: 192

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:24 PM

Practice. Also imo, stick to one class, something that slowed me down was swapping mains so often until cata.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<