• Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Elemental 0/1/2/1/0/2
  • RBG: 2007

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:59 AM

Hi All,

I would like to get other peoples thoughts on elemental's viability for 5.04 and MOP.

I feel like this is the best patch for ele PvP since season 6 but... who knows...

Ive been doing a number of BGs and dominating pretty much every BG (Top kills, top damage and top heals...) and i have been feeling that ele is alot stronger. The only thing with normal BG's as we know that the quality of players can be pretty average to say the least and i havent done any wargames yet.

I used to struggle against DK's one on one but havent run into that problem yet since the patch (probably due to necrotic strike nerf)... but i feel i can compete a bit more due to the amount of burst (50% mastery) and self healing and absorbs.... compared to patch 4.3

Im curious if anyone has tried Arena in MOP or even some wargames in 5.04 as ele?

Some (not all) of the positives which has really help are...

- our healing (HST & HTT) and absorb totems (SBT) help us to have some form of self healing which we never really had before so any class could grind us down and have some non interuptable heals (totems)

- Strong self heals (done 80k crits @ 85) obviously will be toned down at 90

- Consistant instant Lava Burst procs

- Purge (being able to purge 2 buffs again)

- Instant hex (lifesaving)

- 8 second CD on dispells (for flameshock)

- potential shorter grounding/tremor CD due to totemic restoration

- level 90 4 set pvp reduces thunderstorm CD by 50% (obviousy not on live yet)

- Capaicator totem (old fire nova totem is back :D  )

Some nerfs  have noticed is.

- No more lava flows

- SBT is on a 1 min CD but does absorb more (can be dispelled)

- Earthgrab has a 30 second CD (lasts longer and grabs on every tick if they havent been affected yet)

but for the most part ele still has the same playstyle but just a little bit more totem management.

the talents and glyphs i am running are..

TALENTS
- Stone Bulwark Totem (SBT)
- Earthgrab Totem (EGT)
- Totemic Restoration
- Ancestral Swiftness
- Healing Tide Totem (HTT)

GLYPHS
- Hex
- Unleash Lightning
- Thunder/Purge/Capaicator

With all of this i actually feel like ele is back to its good old days almost but my mates keep trying to tell me that ele is weakest of all the casters again in PVP.. i tend to disagree but when u look at the PvE damage Ele is SOOOOO Far behind the pack...our dps has gone down in pve since the patch...there has even been blue posts about that.

Curious to see what other peoples thoughts and experiences are from both sides of the fence (playing as or playing against elemental)

Edited by Nerfmytotems, 31 August 2012 - 04:56 AM.

#2 Zeiyo

Zeiyo
  • Junkies

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:14 AM

Tested a lot of 3v3 and 2v2 on beta and this is what i have found.

Talents:

- Astral Shift, i think it is needed since we dont have any other big survival CD like all other class/specs, stone bulwark is almost always useless in arena since you can dispell/purge it

- Earthgrab Totem, 30 second root, re roots each tick to people within 10 yards that havent already been rooted and slows if they have already been. Frozen power is for enhance, eles dont have enough shock CDs to spare for it outside of flame shocking and fulmination, maybe Windwalk Totem will come in use while playing some kind of thundercleave or somthing but in general i would go Earthgrab 99% of the time.

- Totemic Projection, along with capaicator glyph making it 3 second charge time this is great talent, drop the stun totem, use one global then place the marker slightly above and to the right of where you want it to hit to always hit exactly where you want, takes abit of practice but once you know how its easy to land 100% of the time, also usefull for range rooting and throwing a tremor closer to your healer when out of range. (you need to learn where your totems will end up accordingly with where you place your marker since the totems spawn in a square shape around your placement point)

- Ancestral Swiftness, 1 min NS, unleash NS ele blast hits for a ton or can use on hex or healing surge, best of the 3 imo. EM is easily dispelled but i would probly take it if vs a team without a dispeller for max damage. Echo is just to RNG based imo.

- Healing Tide Totem, i find this will heal the most of the 3 almost always, Ancestral guidence is nice but if you are the focus target, which you will be alot as an ele its going to be hard to get out enough dmg to outheal healing tide while under pressure and trying to survive, healing tide allows you to drop the totem and totem projection it around a pillar to hide it and you can offheal meanwhile.

- Elemental Blast, i find this is the best of the 3, it works with unleash elements and deals big burst damage you can also NS ele blast. primal elementalist has some nice perks like survival abiltys given during earth ele and big damage with fire ele, but in an arena setting i think they are to easy to be locked out the game or killed, unleashed fury is pretty average, helps with consistant damage but its the burst we get from ele blast thats way better in arena.

Glyphs:

- Purge, best glyph in the game. purged 2 debuffs instead of one... mana is not an issue for eles in mop you can spam a couple purges to clean a target befor bursting whenever you want.

- Unleashed Lightening, cast lightening bolt while moving, just decided to keep this for now but maybe it wont actually be needed anymore since alot more of your time is spent on other things and theres lots of nice glyphs to choose.

- Capacitor Totem, this is a must for me, makes your charge time 3 seconds instead of 5. 3 seconds is alot easier to manage as you can just drop the totem use a global then place it ontop of sombody with totem projection, its simple easy and fast, having to wait 5 seconds can just make it very useless as you have to predict way ahead of time and its alot harder to choose your globals in order to throw your totem ontop of them at the last seconds, and thats if the enemy havent already killed it in those 5 seconds befor it procs.

- Ghost Wolf, will take it for sure when VS melee cleaves. just reduces slow speeds same way as it used to

- Thunderstorm, you get 50% reduced CD on thunderstorm from 4 set bonus, using this glyph aswell DR's it and takes it from 22 seconds to 16 so abit pointless imo with so many other good glyphs to take

- Hex, i guess its still decent but with the abilty to only choose 3 major glyphs i think it wont be in my line up

Overall im really enjoying elemental, it has insane burst and consistant damage even while being trained, great offheals with healing surge / healing stream / healing tide, stuns, improved purge and the best part is you have unlimited mana at 90 as an ele so you can use you spec to the fullest unlike at level 80 where your oom after a couple purges or offheals, i look forward to MoP =)

Edited by Zeiyo, 31 August 2012 - 04:18 AM.

#3 Korzul

Korzul
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • EU-Doomhammer
  • Blackout
  • Talents: Restoration 0/2/0/1/1/0
  • 2v2: 2315
  • 3v3: 2744
  • 5v5: 480
  • RBG: 1151

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:50 PM

Cheers for the update zeiyo:
My only issue currently is the lack of having to cast, on live you can crush people just rotating totems and using lava surge procs/fulminates etc.
Wondering if it gets better at 90 considering spamming instants feels about as skilled as lance spamming on a mage. Or is it going to be a case of "Guys i have fulminate ready and a surge proc!"
Then you capacitor a healer whilst burst/ns ele blast/fulminate something with shear/thunderstorm/hex left to screw said healer after whilst you finish. Not to mention the rate lava surge procs is insane (hoping reduced haste lowers this) and 7stacks of lightning shield stack very quickly when you're being hit by anything.

May be effective but landing kills without having to cast a single thing just feels cheap to me.

Edited by Korzul, 03 September 2012 - 01:52 PM.

#4 Nerfmytotems

Nerfmytotems
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Elemental 0/1/2/1/0/2
  • RBG: 2007

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:28 PM

View PostKorzul, on 03 September 2012 - 01:50 PM, said:

Cheers for the update zeiyo:
My only issue currently is the lack of having to cast, on live you can crush people just rotating totems and using lava surge procs/fulminates etc.
Wondering if it gets better at 90 considering spamming instants feels about as skilled as lance spamming on a mage. Or is it going to be a case of "Guys i have fulminate ready and a surge proc!"
Then you capacitor a healer whilst burst/ns ele blast/fulminate something with shear/thunderstorm/hex left to screw said healer after whilst you finish. Not to mention the rate lava surge procs is insane (hoping reduced haste lowers this) and 7stacks of lightning shield stack very quickly when you're being hit by anything.

May be effective but landing kills without having to cast a single thing just feels cheap to me.

Yeah, but it is sad that this is sort of thing it takes to put us on par with the other casters ....lol.. oh wait mages still do more damage and burst than us...not to mention demo locks with gimore of sacrifice...zomg they do nothing until demon form then they will global you...

Yeah it does feel a bit cheap now especially vs melee, but when you hit 90 i have a feeling we wont be running with 30% haste and 50% mastery... im assuming damage will be scaled down a bit as well so you might be saving the fulmination/lavasurge after you hard cast a littlebit so there is more of a burst rather than hitting those 2 and then doing nothing, So maybe a lightning-bolt then ele blast then lavasurge proc plus fulmination or something

#5 Zeiyo

Zeiyo
  • Junkies

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:48 PM

you will be casting alot more at 90 to set up burst, lava burst at 90 tickles, its like lightening bolt at 85

#6 Bombtrack

Bombtrack
  • Junkies
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • US-Garona
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Elemental 2/1/2/2/0/.

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:19 AM

With dispel the way it is I'm a little bit worried about the rate at which Shamans will get Earth Shocks off.

Edited by Bombtrack, 07 September 2012 - 02:20 AM.

#7 lozo

lozo
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Burning Legion
  • Cataclysme / Cataclysm
  • Talents: Elemental 2/2/1/2/0/.

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:10 AM

View PostBombtrack, on 07 September 2012 - 02:19 AM, said:

With dispel the way it is I'm a little bit worried about the rate at which Shamans will get Earth Shocks off.
Lightning Shield is undispelable, so the only proc you can lose is Lava Surge.
Alcohol may not solve your problems, but neither will faith.

#8 Bombtrack

Bombtrack
  • Junkies
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • US-Garona
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Elemental 2/1/2/2/0/.

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:08 PM

View Postlozo, on 07 September 2012 - 07:10 AM, said:

Lightning Shield is undispelable, so the only proc you can lose is Lava Surge.

I am aware. I'm talking about the fact that Flame Shock will be dispelled, thus forcing you to use your shock cooldown on another Flame Shock rather than an Earth Shock. And, assuming that right after a Shaman Flame Shocks they attempt to Lava Burst, the time it takes for Lava Burst to come off of CD lines up nicely with the cooldown coming back up on Dispel. (This is all taking into account GCDs and cast times). Thus making Earth Shock a lot less of a threat.

#9 Jontex

Jontex
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Elemental 0/1/0/1/0/0
  • 2v2: 1698
  • 3v3: 2620
  • RBG: 384
  • LocationSweden

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:32 AM

Thought I'd share this, some of you might know and some of you might not but you can actually ground the Frostbomb explosion damage.
Posted Image

#10 Tsx

Tsx
  • Junkies

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:03 PM

View PostJontex, on 16 September 2012 - 11:32 AM, said:

Thought I'd share this, some of you might know and some of you might not but you can actually ground the Frostbomb explosion damage.
u srs?lol

#11 Mageic

Mageic
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • US-Mannoroth
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Elemental
  • RBG: 192

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:09 AM

View PostJontex, on 16 September 2012 - 11:32 AM, said:

Cool info, but its hard to tell when they have fireblast glyph or not.

#12 Jontex

Jontex
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Elemental 0/1/0/1/0/0
  • 2v2: 1698
  • 3v3: 2620
  • RBG: 384
  • LocationSweden

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:08 PM

Yea true but when I noticed this a lot of mages didnt use the glyph and I didnt even know it existed heh
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<