Any GW 1 players from competitive guilds?

GW1 PvP GvG

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Drinfamous

Drinfamous
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Retribution
  • RBG: 2083

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:21 PM

GW2 impressions? What do you think about the lack of GvG?

What guild are you with now and what server are you playing on?

#2 Griffon

Griffon
  • Members

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:27 AM

Hello there, I played GW1 since the first closed beta and up through Nightfall, quit shortly after EOTN came out. I was in a few top 100 guilds along the way, but always had fun and some of my best gaming moments are during GW1.

I absolutely enjoy GW2. At first I thought the lack of GvG was really going to suck because that was what GW1 was all about, and the synergizing and creating of many tactics and unique builds. Some were niche, some became metas, some were just for fun, but creating the builds in gw1 really drove the game to be above the normal "grind to be the best" attitude.

From spikes to splits to degen pressure, GW1 GvG was always changing and that was what I enjoyed the most about it. Come playing the first beta for GW2, I was worried that sPvP wasn't enough to keep people entertained and it wouldn't be as fun as GvG's were.

By the second beta, those worries went away as tournament mode was introduced, and more of the tactics for the conquest style maps began to appear, from different openers to point control. The different map types also add strategic elements that will allow true skill to shine rather than gear grind and hours played as other games would be. Cap that all off with a great system for getting new cosmetic items and the 25th can't come soon enough for me.

TL;DR, at first I was afraid there would not be enough strategy/build because of the simple game mode, but with tournament and different game maps it is very easy to see the players with better skill and ability will shine.

Jade quarry or Sorrows Furnace, still undecided by the guild.

#3 Conkuur

Conkuur
  • Members

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:37 AM

Not me but I love to reminisce with total strangers. :lol:

#4 TLrotten

TLrotten
  • GW2 Team

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:24 PM

The entire european Team Legacy is from GW1.
We all have played in several guilds you may know, all of us have achieved multiple mAT wins.
We also plan on playing the last mAT on the 25th in a guild called "Team Legacy Europe [TL]".

You can see GW2 as a mix of Hero Battles and GvG. I think it has a lot of potential, more than GvG as it was just too complicated for new players to get into it. I am also very curious about new maps they will add after release, as the second objective/mechanics can be nearly everything, which makes conquest a great mode.
Rotten - Team Legacy (EU)

YouTube: youtube.com/teamlegacypvp
Twitch: twitch.tv/team/teamlegacy
Twitter: twitter.com/TeamLegacyNet

#5 Drinfamous

Drinfamous
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • RBG: 2083

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:08 PM

View PostGriffon, on 12 August 2012 - 01:27 AM, said:

TL;DR, at first I was afraid there would not be enough strategy/build because of the simple game mode, but with tournament and different game maps it is very easy to see the players with better skill and ability will shine.
I've had the same conclusions after playing the past 2 beta weekends. Though I'm still hoping to see some kind of flag-capping game mode.

View PostTLrotten, on 12 August 2012 - 10:24 PM, said:

You can see GW2 as a mix of Hero Battles and GvG. I think it has a lot of potential, more than GvG as it was just too complicated for new players to get into it. I am also very curious about new maps they will add after release, as the second objective/mechanics can be nearly everything, which makes conquest a great mode.
Here's a question for you TL, do you think a larger guild is more necessary in GW2 as compared to GW1? Likewise, why have you chosen to create a large guild rather than a small team of tight-knit players?

#6 TLrotten

TLrotten
  • GW2 Team

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:11 PM

actually we are only 5 people in our team. We never planned on having more than that.
We are seperated from our NA team and our WvWvW guild.
We always had the attitude of having no more than a core roster, as we all kind of want to play at some point.
I can't complain about being part of a very large guild though, as we get alot of support.
Rotten - Team Legacy (EU)

YouTube: youtube.com/teamlegacypvp
Twitch: twitch.tv/team/teamlegacy
Twitter: twitter.com/TeamLegacyNet

#7 ToonVendor

ToonVendor
  • Premium Junkies
  • Curse Premium
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Lightbringer
  • Whirlwind
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:15 PM

We have a few Guild Wars 1 players who were in guilds such as KOR, Warmachine, etc. And they are very much happy with Guild Wars 2 PvP.

I think larger guilds are very much necessary if you're going to be successful in WvW as a server. Whereas us smaller guilds are equally as  awesome because we get to join up with the larger guilds' alliances and act as a special ops for them, basically take supply camps or attack something else at the same time so that the enemy has to pull defenses off of a node that the zerg is attacking.

Overall though, a large guild is more important for WvW, a small guild is probably better off for SPvP. Note, I say probably only because smaller, tight-knit groups tend to perform better in a competitive atmosphere; however that's not the case for guilds such as TL, because they do have small, tight-knit groups within them as their SPvP teams.

#8 Butsu

Butsu
  • Members

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:19 PM

I played in 'all bad americans" and I am not saying that I don't like this pvp system "conquer" but I'd also just like plain 8v8 fights till death again... and my server is Gandara
//img259.imageshack.us/img259/2200/butsu2.png

#9 ValorLotD

ValorLotD
  • GW2 Team

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:30 PM

We ran in GW1 two separate times.  For about a year and a half of Beta and through release then again in 2007 for a little while.

We have a lot of interest in GW2, partly because of the lack of a quality MMO out right now, but more importantly because of all the features that GW2 is bringing to the table.

ANet has a plan for Wv3 that should help avoid the catastrophic issues Warhammer Online experienced.  They have dedicated themselves to establishing GW2 as a viable option for an esport, though this is taking a lot of time and effort on their part and we in the community are questioning how long it may be before this becomes reality.

The one thing that can be said about the GW2 development team, they don't want to implement anything halfassed, but instead take their time to come out with a quality product.
[LotD] Arena Leader
Lords of the Dead: 17 Years of PvP Excellence
Selective Recruitment: Currently Open

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GW1, PvP, GvG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<