ama ask me anything gw2 guildwars 2

• Please log in to reply
200 replies to this topic

#61 Izkimar

Izkimar
  • GW2 Team

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:29 PM

View PostPeanutbutter, on 11 August 2012 - 08:13 PM, said:

What is your opinions on the capture mechanics insofar as it takes twice as long to defend a point as it does to uncap a point.  i.e. player Red is attacking a fully capped Blue point with a Blue defender and can uncap the point if he can knock the defender off for ~ 4 seconds over any length of time so long as Red doesn't leave the capture point to allow the defender to reacquire the capture bar; whereas the defender has to knock the attacker off for twice as long to reacquire a full bar.  (I think this is interesting in that a defender can only hold a point against an attacker for so long before it's uncapped and becomes necessary for someone to kill the other to take the point, however it also makes certain classes really good at uncapping/taking points 1v1 or 2v2)

This helps water down the effectiveness of all in bunker builds, you need to actually be able to kill somebody instead of just sitting there all day long.

#62 Lufi

Lufi
  • Members

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:30 PM

Thank you for answers to my previous questions.

Prolly to early to ask this question because there is not confirmed datamine for it yet so just asking "how does it feel". It possible to avoid area effects with Z-axis? For example jumping threw fire and not taking dmg from it, also if player is currently in the air, according to server he is at the point where he started jump or futher (jumping charges in wow before fix problem, or getting cc behind pillar because of jump).

I know it's early to ask this question and it's also server/clients latency dependent but with GW2 engine where "avoiding stuff" is acctually needed I think it's quite important.

Thanks in advance o/

#63 Erho

Erho
  • GW2 Team

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:33 PM

View PostGuy_With_A_Question, on 11 August 2012 - 07:58 PM, said:

Thanks for the answer. I have two more questions:

How do you feel about Foefire's use of the Guild Lord, the mechanics of obtaining the kill and the points it gives? If you would like to see it changed, how would you go about it?

Same for Kyhlo. Do you like the involvement of the Trebs? Do they have too much(or too little) health, too much damage? Keep the repair kits or should it have a timer for how long it takes to respawn?

Not a problem, Guy!

I personally would like to see the guild lord be worth more points. Currently, committing anyone in a 5v5 to kill the guild lord in Foefire does more harm than good. The risk to reward ratio is just not quite there yet. I would love to see either more points rewarded, or some sort of other effect for killing the lord. The potential for making the guild lord be awesome is there, they just need to polish it up. I could go on forever about suggestions, but I would just go on a rant no one would read. I have faith however, I mean look how much the game has changed from BWE1 to BWE3 in such a short time. This will obviously carry over to launch, so I have high hopes this map will become the most fun of them all.

Khylo is my personal favorite. The trebuchets are so impactful that the map actually plays out as if there are 5 points on the map, not 3.
The trebuchet health is fine, I just think that there needs to be a respawn timer on repair kits to create more "team fight" oriented situations when trebuchets are down. If the repair kit had a respawn time of 30 seconds, competitive teams could plan out ahead of time to move a fight to the repair kit.
Yo bro, I'm from Super Squad
Erho's Livestream: http://www.twitch.tv/gw2erho
Erho's Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/GW2Erho
Super Squad Youtube: http://www.youtube.c...r/supersquadgw2
Twitter is Stupid: Yes

#64 itsHatorade

itsHatorade
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kargath
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Destruction 0/2/2/2/2/0
  • 2v2: 1615
  • 3v3: 1730
  • 5v5: 768
  • RBG: 1482

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:33 PM

What do you guys think about Mesmer Mantra's and their application in sPvP? What changes if any would you like to see to have used more frequently?

#65 Thadcastle

Thadcastle
  • GW2 Team

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:35 PM

View PostLufi, on 11 August 2012 - 08:30 PM, said:

Prolly to early to ask this question because there is not confirmed datamine for it yet so just asking "how does it feel". It possible to avoid area effects with Z-axis? For example jumping threw fire and not taking dmg from it, also if player is currently in the air, according to server he is at the point where he started jump or futher (jumping charges in wow before fix problem, or getting cc behind pillar because of jump).

I know it's early to ask this question and it's also server/clients latency dependent but with GW2 engine where "avoiding stuff" is acctually needed I think it's quite important.

Thanks in advance o/

You can't jump through AoEs to avoid them, but you CAN dodge roll through them to avoid any damage/DoTs.

Edit: I stand corrected, I guess you can jump to avoid certain abilities, namely projectiles, but you cannot start any attack animation in the air. You can attack and then jump to finish the attack, but you cannot start the attack in the air.

Edited by Thadcastle, 11 August 2012 - 08:39 PM.

#66 Powerr_Matchless

Powerr_Matchless
  • GW2 Team

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:35 PM

Thanks in advance o/

I know for fact that you can jump over projectiles, I have skillfully leaped over many warrior axe throws (cripple attack).  JK about skillfully, but you can definitely abuse mechanics in that sense.

#67 Izkimar

Izkimar
  • GW2 Team

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:38 PM

View PostitsHatorade, on 11 August 2012 - 08:33 PM, said:

What do you guys think about Mesmer Mantra's and their application in sPvP? What changes if any would you like to see to have used more frequently?

Mantras add a real nice element of having low cooldown spells that you can use twice if traited, but they come at the cost of severe cast times if used up.  I like this element, and they also have some very good augmentable traits for Mesmer builds overall when running them.  It gives you the power of a dual cast spell if you trait it, but it forces you to be wise on when you choose to use the.  The cast time could be a little too long though, just a tad.

#68 ValorLotD

ValorLotD
  • GW2 Team

@Lufi

Also, I will add that if there are "circles" or "lines" of fire on the ground, you can hop over those.  Dodging will dodge all damage while in the animation, but you will start to take damage after you land and still take damage from conditions while dodging.
[LotD] Arena Leader
Lords of the Dead: 17 Years of PvP Excellence
Selective Recruitment: Currently Open

#69 Manlet

Manlet
  • Members

Do you think the game is ready for release?  Ready to be an esport?

#70 Lyr_1337

Lyr_1337
  • GW2 Team

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:39 PM

Currently Mantras are the worst skills on Mesmer... The channeling time is way too long and there is no option to optimize it and that should be the point where anet should start to fix it.
Instead of the standard 20% skill recharge trait it should be a 20% faster channeling trait. Also the charges of each mantra should be increased. If you have the trait in your domination tree you just have 2 charges. Should be more.

#71 Spellqq

Spellqq
  • Members
  • Locationpoland

What do you think gw2 community needs to start growing and to make this game an esport title?

#72 Lina_Inverse

Lina_Inverse
  • Members

Thanks in advance o/

All field abilities have a z-axis ceiling...that said, it appears to be higher than simply jumping through it.  However you can jump over some things from a severely higher z-axis plane(top of buildings and cliffs and such).  

You can, however, immune through most effects with dodge rolling.  The exception being the 'wall' type effects that push you back when you try to cross them.

What powerr says about projectiles is true.  The projectile becomes a separate entity when fired that can be avoided and can hit terrain and other targets in between the source and the target.

In response to your second question, Jumping seems to put you at your current location for the purposes of stuns and such in my experience, and won't rubber band you back if you are controlled mid-jump.

There are certainly inherent latency issues built into some of the movement skills.  I've notice that using blink, for instance, will sometimes rubber band you back to your previous location if you attempt to use another ability too soon afterwards.  There are a few other specific movement and teleportation abilities like this.  I assume this is not going to be permanent and it is simply a product of the beta.

#73 Erho

Erho
  • GW2 Team

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:42 PM

View PostManlet, on 11 August 2012 - 08:38 PM, said:

The game is most definately ready for release. eSport? Not yet. We as players need to figure out the meta over the next few months and let the devs adjust the game accordingly. Then the next step would be for ArenaNet to introduce features into the game that will facilitate competitive play such as observer modes, ladders, private servers, etc. etc. As I said previously though, I am incredibly impressed the ArenaNet and how quickly they update their game. I was really worried about the state of the game during the BWE1, but now... Let's just say my mind is blown. I really hope the game updates post launch as it has during the past few months.
Yo bro, I'm from Super Squad
Erho's Livestream: http://www.twitch.tv/gw2erho
Erho's Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/GW2Erho
Super Squad Youtube: http://www.youtube.c...r/supersquadgw2
Twitter is Stupid: Yes

#74 Manlet

Manlet
  • Members

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:46 PM

1. Elementalist.  Too strong or just right?
2.  Are you aware?

#75 Mianhe

Mianhe
  • GW2 Team

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:46 PM

@Manlet: I don't think anyone expects Guild Wars 2 to be an eSport one week into release, or even a month into release. No real succesful eSport title has been able to do that, and it shouldn't be a reason to be discouraged.

The potential for the game to become a highly entertaining and exciting eSport is there, everything else will be a combination from developer support and community support.

Is the game ready for release in terms of balance? I'd say compared to many other games, especially MMOs, balance is in a pretty good spot right now. Yes, there are some more obvious imbalances that will stand out, but when you look at the complexity of the GW2 systems and then look at the bigger picture, it's very minor stuff that the developers will be working along with us once the game ships.

Just remember there's no perfect balance in any game out there that is currently an eSport. Guild Wars 2 happens to be in a pretty solid spot and the developers seem to be very well involved in everything related to PvP.

Edited by Mianhe, 11 August 2012 - 08:55 PM.

Mianhe - Team Legacy (NA)

YouTube: www.youtube.com/teamlegacypvp
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/team/teamlegacy
Twitter: www.twitter.com/TeamLegacyNet

Facebook: www.facebook.com/TeamLegacyNA
Personal Twitter: www.twitter.com/TL_Mianhe

#76 Guest_Enshadowed_TP_*

Guest_Enshadowed_TP_*

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:50 PM

View PostSpellqq, on 11 August 2012 - 08:39 PM, said:

What do you think gw2 community needs to start growing and to make this game an esport title?

Upon release of spectator mode, player run tournaments need to start circulating. If large GW2 community website promoted individual tournaments (ideally, tournaments with moderate prize pools) it would start to generate a lot of attention within the community. As leagues start seeing the demand for Gw2, there is a good chance that you'll start seeing larger E-Sport leagues adopting GW2.

#77 Lina_Inverse

Lina_Inverse
  • Members

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:50 PM

Mesmer Mantra's are tricky.  

There are several problems with using them right now, the first being the prohibitive cast time.  There are synergies with them that are based on this cast time, but it boils down to CC'ing yourself for a very long time, especially with multiple mantras on your bar.

Their only viability right now in my opinion comes into play with the double-activation trait, which doesn't currently affect the mantra heal.  That alone breaks a lot of mantra viability for me.  

The other change I would make is allowing for a few of the synergies to occur on mantra activation, instead of mantra cast.  The inspiration talent for aoe healing, for instance, would make a lot more sense on mantra activation, especially when synergized with the double activation trait.  This also affects traits like ones that remove conditions when casting a heal that in the case of mantras, would make far more sense to occur on activation rather than the cast.

The meat of the problem comes with the way the trait synergies are organized. The most effective use of mantras currently comes from stacking at least a couple of them, and most players would make the admission that the mantras don't pack enough of a punch to carry the penalty of such a long cast time.

#78 Izkimar

Izkimar
  • GW2 Team

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:51 PM

I'm going to answer both of these ;).  Yes I do think GW2 has what it needs to start building as an E-Sport.  Right now the foundation is laid, and we have a lot of tools to start building this game.  We already have a built in tournament system, along with monthly tournaments.  Balance isn't too far off, it is close to a really good state.  I would say that this game is also very enjoyable to watch.  So with that being said there are obviously going to be some more tools that we need.  We will need spectator mode pretty quick, savable templates as well, and of course private servers.  I think all these things will serve to help GW2 become a very good E-Sport.

#79 enilix

enilix
  • Members
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • US-Shadowmoon
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Restoration

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:52 PM

For people like me who know essentially nothing about GW but are considering trying it out (for a whole pile of reasons), perhaps you guys could shed some light on some of the more basic, seemingly obvious information:

In a typical sPvP game, what are the normal roles people play? How many people play each role in a match, and do people swap roles with weapon sets during matches?

Can any profession fill any role in a viable manner, or are there specific professions that are so strong at certain roles that they overshadow the rest?

Is there a basic general strategy for a match (say.. control point A and B, pressure point C to take secondary objectives?) or are the strategies much more dynamic and proactive/reactive?

#80 ValorLotD

ValorLotD
  • GW2 Team

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:53 PM

I will take a stab at these questions.

Lords of the Dead comes from a more traditional MMO background.  We have fielded successful teams in GW1 and other games that supported Arena competition.  I say that because of our background, we have tested practically every MMO that made it to beta.  Through the past 6 years, I have yet to see a game this polished, this balanced, this bug/hack free and with the PvP mechanics to sustain a healthy population past 6 months.

If you take some of the past biggest name launches: Warhammer Online and Star Wars The Old Republic, both games saw a steep decline in subscriptions by the 6 month mark.  The reasons for this was a lack of end game content, a sustainable system of PVP, and a quality ranked system for SPvP.

Guild Wars 2 has all three of those factors.  While rankings will not be launched at release(I believe this wise to ensure that skill equates to rank, not broken mechanics), they will be implemented as soon as the devs can.  That also applies to server rankings for WvW combat.

Long story short, this game is polished and ready for launch.
----------------------------------------------

Is GW2 ready to become an ESport?

To that question I have to say no, not right now.  The game will require a rating system up and functioning as well as spectator mode.  There could be some other things to be added, but as of right now, those two are my big hang ups on GW2 being an ESport right now.
----------------------------------------------

GW2 community should start focusing on establishing the same features and tools that AJ has established for WOW.  We need the creation of a quality forum/forums for discussion/coordination/recruitment.  We need QUALITY class/team building tools that are up to date and provide all the statistics available.  GW2 needs to consolidate the community more by bringing back the GW1 guilds/teams along side the newer guilds/teams.  Lastly, we need teams and players to start creating the following through streams/shoutcasts/guides/ect.
[LotD] Arena Leader
Lords of the Dead: 17 Years of PvP Excellence
Selective Recruitment: Currently Open

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ama, ask me anything, gw2, guildwars 2

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

<