• Please log in to reply
200 replies to this topic

#121 Lyr_1337

Lyr_1337
  • GW2 Team

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:28 PM

View PostVonethil, on 12 August 2012 - 03:25 AM, said:

I have some lore questions...

Where is the "Cormonant", I could not find it in Lion's Arch.

Where is "Lion's Arch Arena"?

Is Kranxx a ghost in Ascalon City? Or did Keane, Gullik and Ember burn/bury his body?

Who wields Magdaer, because Dougal Keane does not wield it, did he pick it up in the treasure vault beneath Ascalon City, if not... who has it?

I guess there is noone who could answer this question. :X
Most of us, including me, never saw anything else than the tutorials and the mists/BGs. ^^

Sorry about that. :(

#122 ValorLotD

ValorLotD
  • GW2 Team

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:58 PM

View Posttreeqt, on 12 August 2012 - 06:50 AM, said:

Can you give us a link to the statement? From what I know they've never explicitly stated that your PvP performance will be associated with a numerical value. Maybe I misunderstand you/ANet here though.

Here is just one of many interviews that make mention of it:  http://www.guildwars...ion-is-growing/

They have said so quite a few times, but the rating system will be implemented.
[LotD] Arena Leader
Lords of the Dead: 17 Years of PvP Excellence
Selective Recruitment: Currently Open

#123 ValorLotD

ValorLotD
  • GW2 Team

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:00 PM

Is Kranxx a ghost in Ascalon City? Or did Keane, Gullik and Ember burn/bury his body?

Who wields Magdaer, because Dougal Keane does not wield it, did he pick it up in the treasure vault beneath Ascalon City, if not... who has it?

Lore... well, you have me stumped there.
[LotD] Arena Leader

#124 Halberd

Halberd
  • Members

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:11 PM

I intend to play a guardian at launch with heavy emphasis on the support role. One thing I noticed playing through sPvP matches is that friendly health bars only appear when I face them (my allies). Is this intended or is there an interface option that I missed?

Does the support role have a place in WvWvW or would a more selfish build be a smarter option?

The red and blue in sPvP: Why? It's frustrating to be aesthetically limited in such a way.

#125 TLrotten

TLrotten
  • GW2 Team

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:58 PM

View PostHalberd, on 12 August 2012 - 02:11 PM, said:

I intend to play a guardian at launch with heavy emphasis on the support role. One thing I noticed playing through sPvP matches is that friendly health bars only appear when I face them (my allies). Is this intended or is there an interface option that I missed?

Does the support role have a place in WvWvW or would a more selfish build be a smarter option?

The red and blue in sPvP: Why? It's frustrating to be aesthetically limited in such a way.

1. The health bars appear when they get into a certain range near you. This is intended to probably get save screen space.
If you create a group before joining the pvp map, you will see all of your allies. We normally use this as we all want to know where everyone is.

2. I havent had much experience in WvWvW, yet I would say support roles are even better in WvWvW as you effect even more people with your abilities. But this also depends on what role you take in WvWvW (as there are also smaller objectives that can be done by single players).

3. If everyone had their unique colour, you would not be able to differentiate your enemies from allies. You sometimes have many many effects that make it hard to see who is your enemy and who is your ally, only seeing a red name and some other minor indicators is not enough.
Rotten - Team Legacy (EU)

YouTube: youtube.com/teamlegacypvp
Twitch: twitch.tv/team/teamlegacy
Twitter: twitter.com/TeamLegacyNet

#126 Halberd

Halberd
  • Members

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:13 PM

1&2. Thank you! I appreciate your hasty response.

3. Aren't there vastly more particle effects in WvWvW? Please correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not positive, but don't players retain their dyes in this game-type?

#127 treeqt

treeqt
  • Members

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:33 PM

WvW is not supposed to be the competitive game mode #1 though.
[04:20:00] Dan: Just bang her
[20:05:48] ALEXIS JAGGER: I'd like to think
[20:05:51] ALEXIS JAGGER: I'm a modest person

#128 ValorLotD

ValorLotD
  • GW2 Team

Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:56 PM

View Posttreeqt, on 12 August 2012 - 03:33 PM, said:

WvW is not supposed to be the competitive game mode #1 though.

I think what everyone who comes into a game hoping for quality SPvP features needs to accept is that Wv3 is the feature that brings in the most numbers.  That means it will get attention early on to make sure that it is solid enough to sustain the population.  SPvP however is getting more focus early in development than any other MMO I've played lately.  From my experience from GW1 and a few of the people I know on the dev team, I am very confident in their dedication to ensuring that SPvP gets all the attention it requires.
[LotD] Arena Leader

#129 Gimpact

Gimpact
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Fire
  • RBG: 1769

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:57 PM

will they be implementing duels when GW2 launches?
will they implement dual spec
and will we be able to change the way we can see our target frame and our conditions and theirs.. either ingame or by addons

Real Life requires too much skill.
Posted Image

#130 treeqt

treeqt
  • Members

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:12 PM

1. From what I know it's not confirmed yet, but they most likely will.
2. From what I know it's not confirmed yet, but they most likely will implement a feature to quick-switch between build presets.
3. I think they said that you will be able to set up your interface to a certain extent in the game. That's not using Addons though since there won't be Addon support.
[04:20:00] Dan: Just bang her
[20:05:48] ALEXIS JAGGER: I'd like to think
[20:05:51] ALEXIS JAGGER: I'm a modest person

#131 Irishjig

Irishjig
  • Members

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:24 PM

I hate to ask one of these, what profession should I play questions, but I really need some info here.

To start off, I am a caster. Always have been, always will be. The problem resonates from the fact that as a non beta tester I don't really know much about class playstyle. As a Mage, I would most likely understand everything the Elementalist offers. But the Necromancer doesn't seem to fit the WoW warlock mold. I didn't see much that felt like a ranged caster there. While the Mesmer, which seems like a cross between an arcane mage and shadow priest, looks enjoyable, I am not sure how it is going to really be useful. I hated the point where a class became one of those dime-a-dozen classes, and the elementalist seems it is going to hit that right off the bat based off popularity. So I guess I actually have 2 questions.

1.) Is the Necromancer going to keep up with elementalist damage, with the right weapons setup in the hands of a skilled player?

2.) Will the Mesmer be useful enough from its debuff utility to justify its lower damage? Will a skilled Mesmer be able to output enough to be desirable?

#132 ValorLotD

ValorLotD
  • GW2 Team

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:52 PM

To answer your question: Ele/Mesmer/Necro will likely be what you go towards as you have said, they are casters.

Elementalist outperform Necros in damage.  I don't know if you will see that change.  Necros have some great things about them, and that can compliment what Ele's do.

Mesmers have some nasty abilities that will definitely serve a purpose in PvP.  I know a mesmer who is brutal against Ele's.  Just depends on the player.

Without knowing you, Ele and Mes are your likely classes you will enjoy the most from my opinion.
[LotD] Arena Leader

#133 Ctuhlu

Ctuhlu
  • Junkies
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Restoration

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:48 PM

Opening up this question to anyone, as I'd like to hear what other non-noob players think about it:

Do you feel that Hundred Blades in its current form is balanced?

Look, I get that it's mostly counterable as long as you have a stun-breaker, but to me the damage of a landed HB is not at all justified by "difficulty" of landing a Bull's Charge + Hundred Blade's combo. And even if the you dodge one HB salvo, the cooldown is so short that a second one isn't that far away. You pretty much have zero margin for error over the course of a fight against a GS warrior, and in a teamfight it becomes especially harder to avoid 100% of the HB's since the amount of stuns/roots/knockdowns increases drastically.

I'm fine with HB being a high burst skill, but I'm curious if you guys think that numbers in the range of 9-11k in such a short window can ever be balanced. 6k would be fine, but when it takes 75% of your health bar I have a hard time accepting such a skill unless the skill required to land it is extremely high -- and we all that the two-button succession that HB currently requires isn't that skill-demanding.

ArenaNet has been so meticulous and sober when it comes to bringing things in line that I just can't fathom how Hundred Blades has stayed the same for over 6 months now. I can't be alone in this, can I?

Edited by Ctuhlu, 12 August 2012 - 08:48 PM.

Fourreur said:

we have to switch to them making the decision to pop reck or not to pop reck

#134 ValorLotD

ValorLotD
  • GW2 Team

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:10 PM

Numbers actually show that 100blades does less damage than autoattacks with frenzy over the same amount of time.  I am not one who's tested this personally, but I have had many of my members say they have read this information.

100 Blades is fine honestly.  In a team fight, people have to manage their stun breaks wisely or find themselves on their butt waiting to die.
[LotD] Arena Leader

#135 bookworm438

bookworm438
  • Members

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:36 PM

Those are good questions. I know quite a bit about the lore and not even I can answer that.

As for one and two, I don't know if they are available in the game. They might be in your personal story later, but I have nothing to support that.

As for Kranxx, he might not be able to become a ghost in Ascalon as he's an Asura.

As for Magdaer, I have no idea. Eir mentioned that she knows someone who might be able to repair Magdaer, but she did have an argument with Rytlock and they might have left it in the catacombs. Regardless, if I remember right, the only person who can end the foefire is Queen Jennah returning to Ascalon with Magdaer or Sohothian(sp?, Rurik's sword).

#136 bookworm438

bookworm438
  • Members

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:18 PM

View PostIrishjig, on 12 August 2012 - 07:24 PM, said:

I hate to ask one of these, what profession should I play questions, but I really need some info here. To start off, I am a caster. Always have been, always will be. The problem resonates from the fact that as a non beta tester I don't really know much about class playstyle. As a Mage, I would most likely understand everything the Elementalist offers. But the Necromancer doesn't seem to fit the WoW warlock mold. I didn't see much that felt like a ranged caster there. While the Mesmer, which seems like a cross between an arcane mage and shadow priest, looks enjoyable, I am not sure how it is going to really be useful. I hated the point where a class became one of those dime-a-dozen classes, and the elementalist seems it is going to hit that right off the bat based off popularity. So I guess I actually have 2 questions. 1.) Is the Necromancer going to keep up with elementalist damage, with the right weapons setup in the hands of a skilled player? 2.) Will the Mesmer be useful enough from its debuff utility to justify its lower damage? Will a skilled Mesmer be able to output enough to be desirable?

The biggest thing I can recommend is to make a character and try one. I can honestly say that the play style is different among each class. You won't play a Mesmer like you play an Elementalist.

1) No. Elementalist will probably be one of the higher damage dealers in the game. However, they lack some things in the survivibility area. When it comes to Necro, what they lack in damage they make up in survivibility. Next to Warriors, the necro has one of the highest health pools in the game. They also have death shroud, which is essentially a second health pool. When you enter death shroud, you gain a new health pool and gain access to new abilities. You can also steal health from your opponent and inflict a lot of conditions on your opponent.

2) In my opinion, the Mesmer and thief are some of the hardest classes to play in the game. The mesmer has access to many abilities that can interrupt you. They have access to the most skills that cause confusion, which you take damage for every skill you use. Mesmers rely more on punishing you for your actions rather than just dealing the most damage. They also have access to invisibility and powerful shatters that allow them to deal damage, confusion, daze you, or cause the mesmer to evade your attacks.

#137 ValorLotD

ValorLotD
  • GW2 Team

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:54 AM

View Postbookworm438, on 12 August 2012 - 11:18 PM, said:

1) No. Elementalist will probably be one of the higher damage dealers in the game. However, they lack some things in the survivibility area. When it comes to Necro, what they lack in damage they make up in survivibility. Next to Warriors, the necro has one of the highest health pools in the game. They also have death shroud, which is essentially a second health pool. When you enter death shroud, you gain a new health pool and gain access to new abilities. You can also steal health from your opponent and inflict a lot of conditions on your opponent.

I will have to disagree with you about survivability.  Ele's have some of the most survivability in GW2 due to their speed buffs/heals/condi removal/shields.
[LotD] Arena Leader

#138 bookworm438

bookworm438
  • Members

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:33 AM

View PostValorLotD, on 13 August 2012 - 02:54 AM, said:

I will have to disagree with you about survivability.  Ele's have some of the most survivability in GW2 due to their speed buffs/heals/condi removal/shields.

Elementalists survivibility mostly exists in earth form and water attunement, which their damage is decreased in those attunements. I have actually found it's a lot harder for me to take down a necro than an elementalist.
Death shroud, fear, condition transfer, high health, minions, and health stealing can make a necro difficult to take down.

#139 Mity

Mity
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: ./././././.
  • LocationOKC

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:46 AM

if you're still answering, is there going to be a sort of 'custom game' feature?

like if you want to CW another team or setting up a custom tournament (brackets, pools etc), can you make your own tournament (or skirmish-like mode) and invite or something of the sort?

thx

e; oops, CW=clan war (scrim)

Edited by Mity, 13 August 2012 - 03:46 AM.

@shitixmikesays

#140 Ensiferz

Ensiferz
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Shadow 1/2/0/1/2/2

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:34 AM

View PostMity, on 13 August 2012 - 03:46 AM, said:

if you're still answering, is there going to be a sort of 'custom game' feature?

like if you want to CW another team or setting up a custom tournament (brackets, pools etc), can you make your own tournament (or skirmish-like mode) and invite or something of the sort?

thx

e; oops, CW=clan war (scrim)

From what I have gathered you will be able to set up player ran tournaments and 5v5 private matches.

EDIT: Player-Run: customized by players, these tournaments allow for great flexibility and unique bragging rights.

http://wiki.guildwar.../Structured_PvP

Edited by Ensiferz, 13 August 2012 - 05:40 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ama, ask me anything, gw2, guildwars 2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<