• Curse Premium
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • EU-Aegwynn
  • Blutdurst
  • Talents: Combat 1/1/2/1/1/0
  • RBG: 2215
  • LocationSouthern Germany

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:31 PM

So, we are coming to an end of the immediate responses, but the GW2 AJ Team will keep an eye on this thread and answer your questions. Just don't except them right away. The AMA was really good in my opinion. Thanks to everyone asking and answering questions.

#102 Powerr_Matchless

Powerr_Matchless
  • GW2 Team

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:36 PM

View PostMalac, on 11 August 2012 - 09:21 PM, said:

Based on the current state of the game, which classes you don't think are on par for competitive tournament gameplay and why?

[My opinion is subject to change based on upcoming/future class balance]
Also this is my opinion and not anecdotal fact.

Each class has a one spec minimum of viable tournament competitiveness I feel. Rangers, mesmers, and thiefs however...lack the range of viability.  Most of the roles they fill can currently be better provided by another class.  I.E. mesmers have unreliable damage combo'd with poor group fight presence.  Rangers are great 1v1 with condition build, but it was just nerfed hardcore with the new sigil of earth change.  The class now does not provide as much condition presence and has arguably the least team utility in the game.  Lastly the thief's only good spec is abuse of the venom sharing.  Their dps is overshadowed by the warrior, ranger, and guardian.  They are not good in team fights because of their squishy-ness, and their burst nor sustain is as good as those mentioned prior.

None of these classes are however terrible picks, but you definitely need to careful formulate your 5 man to work around some of those cons.

#103 Mity

Mity
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: ./././././.
  • LocationOKC

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:37 PM

when the game drops, is it worth it to level? (to learn etc.)

i have played the BWE and stress tests but the only leveling i have done is the first few quests just to get to the pvp zone thing.

e; oops sorry if this is after the time for the AMA

Edited by Mity, 11 August 2012 - 09:37 PM.

@shitixmikesays

#104 Lina_Inverse

Lina_Inverse
  • Members

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:43 PM

View PostMity, on 11 August 2012 - 09:37 PM, said:

when the game drops, is it worth it to level? (to learn etc.)

i have played the BWE and stress tests but the only leveling i have done is the first few quests just to get to the pvp zone thing.

e; oops sorry if this is after the time for the AMA

It will be worth it as much as in any other rpg.  You will be gradually exposed to traits and skills and effects that will allow you more experience understanding than trying to step into your level 80 character in spvp with a full set of traits and every possible skill available.  Also, you will have the opportunity to get your money's worth out of the other well developed content.  I personally enjoy WvWvW immensely and that provides a platform for leveling as well.

In my opinion it's worth it, but not necessary.  It depends on the individual.

#105 Sanaubia

Sanaubia
  • Members

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:01 PM

Nice AMA guys and keep this nice thread alive ^^

#106 Thadcastle

Thadcastle
  • GW2 Team

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:31 AM

View Postamirdaheat, on 11 August 2012 - 09:29 PM, said:

• How polished will PvP be at release? Compare this to s1, s5, s9 etc.
  • Any signs of possible exploits/wintrade/hacks?
  • Any possibilites for FotM and class stacking?
  • Any class that is an absolute nessecary? i.e Rogues for RBGS etc

1. I didn't play WoW that much but PvP will be very polished come release. Anet stuck to their motto of "the game will be released when it's ready" and they, along with almost everyone else, believe it is ready after these long years. They wouldn't release the game if the PvP, or any other part of the game, wasn't polished enough.

2. I have seen no signs of hacks/exploiting/etc.

3. There will be specs that a lot of people will use. If the spec received great success and there are videos of top teams using it, a lot of players will copy the spec. But there are always different specs that are just as good if not better for the same role or a different role.
In regards to class stacking, as mentioned earlier, every class has a couple weaknesses, so you are just gimping yourself if you use more than 2 of said class.

4. No class is an absolute necessity. Every class can be extremely good in certain situations, but there is no class that you have to use all the time in any comp.

#107 Izkimar

Izkimar
  • GW2 Team

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:42 AM

1.)PvP will be very polished from what we have seen.  The balance is actually really really good considering we've been playing a beta.

2.)I haven't noticed any way to do win trades or anything with the current system.

3.)Umm, we haven't played long enough to see a true meta establish, however from what we've played it doesn't seem like there's any set builds that are so strong that they could take that FotM status.  Class stacking in certain ways is viable.

4.)Right now, I'd say a Venom Sharing Thief is necessary, but that is one small thing that can be balanced really easy, and then I would answer no to your question.

#108 Lyr_1337

Lyr_1337
  • GW2 Team

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:03 AM

1. If you want to compare the GW2 PvP with the first seasons of each addon, i have to say that GW2 PvP is way more polished than WoW PvP was in all seasons (s1,s5 and s9) together. Anet works very hard to balance all the classes to their maximum and they are on a good way, even if the work isn't completed yet.
Anyway it's hard to compare an arena deathmatch system with a conquest map system, GW2 PvP will always be more polished than WoW because Blizzard will wipe the whole balance for a new content (PvE) patch everytime and Anet trys to seperate the structured PvP from the rest.

2.There will always be people, who will try to exploit bugs or sth like this, but Anet trys to fix bugs very quickly and they do a great job so far (not like blizzard did with some exploits). Wintrading, like it exists in wow, won't be easy to do, because you can't control a whole tournament. Also there is no reason for wintrading. You play free tournaments to achieve tickets for paid tournaments, but you are able to buy them in the store anyway, so why should i wintrade instead of buying my tickets without wasting time? :X

3. As Thad already said, there will be builds, that many people will play because of top teams videos, guides or streams. Class Stacking is an option you will definitly have and in some situations it could be a good choice to stack, but in my opinion every class got his own unique skills, which are all useful in some ways. If you are stacking classes, who would support your group with buffs like protection or regeneration, the effect would be still the same. The buff wouldn't going to be stronger, it would just have the same effect. So why should i take two of them? Would be nicer to take another class, which gives me and my mates fury and might stacks as well!

4. As Thad already said (again :P) there is no "must have" class, but if you want to here a class i would say that guardian is very useful in many different ways. He has strong heal support skills, he can be very tanky but also very offensive and bursty. So if you want to have a "must have" class it would be guardian in my opinion. :D

Edited by Lyr_1337, 12 August 2012 - 02:06 AM.

#109 Vonethil

Vonethil
  • Members

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:25 AM

I have some lore questions...

Where is the "Cormonant", I could not find it in Lion's Arch.

Where is "Lion's Arch Arena"?

Is Kranxx a ghost in Ascalon City? Or did Keane, Gullik and Ember burn/bury his body?

Who wields Magdaer, because Dougal Keane does not wield it, did he pick it up in the treasure vault beneath Ascalon City, if not... who has it?

#110 Ozielolz

Ozielolz
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Affliction 0/0/1/2/0/1
  • RBG: 192

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:48 AM

Pretty simple question. Assuming no interuptions (Moa, fear, etc)  if you had to choose only one.

Book or Banner?

#111 Vesi

Vesi
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Mannoroth
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Subtlety
  • RBG: 958

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:04 AM

Do you think the Warrior's 100b is in for a huge nerf?  

Should I plan to focus on a 2h Hammer build instead?

Obviously being able to cover various weapon types is good, I'm just having a hard time deciding which weapon to focus on at first.

#112 bookworm438

bookworm438
  • Members

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:22 AM

View PostThadcastle, on 12 August 2012 - 01:31 AM, said:

1. I didn't play WoW that much but PvP will be very polished come release. Anet stuck to their motto of "the game will be released when it's ready" and they, along with almost everyone else, believe it is ready after these long years. They wouldn't release the game if the PvP, or any other part of the game, wasn't polished enough. 2. I have seen no signs of hacks/exploiting/etc. 3. There will be specs that a lot of people will use. If the spec received great success and there are videos of top teams using it, a lot of players will copy the spec. But there are always different specs that are just as good if not better for the same role or a different role. In regards to class stacking, as mentioned earlier, every class has a couple weaknesses, so you are just gimping yourself if you use more than 2 of said class. 4. No class is an absolute necessity. Every class can be extremely good in certain situations, but there is no class that you have to use all the time in any comp.

I should mention with number 3 on class stacking. If you want to run with 5 eles, then by all means do it. It's up to you to find a build that works. While it's not a good comparison yet as no one knows how to play, but if you watch the ArenaNet tournament videos from PAX Prime last year you can get an idea of what a team that knows what they are doing can do. Basically, the opponent of Anet's got to suggest the class composition for ArenaNet. Regardless of the composition, ArenaNet was able to destroy all opponents as they knew how to play. So I'd say it's more important that you create builds with your teammates in mind. Most importantly, though, you need to know how to play your class.

#113 Thadcastle

Thadcastle
  • GW2 Team

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:56 AM

View PostVesi, on 12 August 2012 - 04:04 AM, said:

Do you think the Warrior's 100b is in for a huge nerf?  

Should I plan to focus on a 2h Hammer build instead?

Obviously being able to cover various weapon types is good, I'm just having a hard time deciding which weapon to focus on at first.

I can almost guarantee 100b won't be nerfed.

The people who QQ about it are the people that can't dodge bulls charge or break Bulls Charge stun and then dodge roll out of 100b.

In tPvP play 100b warriors will be focused right away in teamfights. Though, I still think they are viable only as a 1v1, 2v2 point holder while occasionally roaming to teamfights to clean up.

#114 Owatatsumi

Owatatsumi
  • Members

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:59 AM

Thanks, mates, for doing this thread! I have some questions concerning the Mesmer and sPvP whenever you can get around to them.

My main question for you is if the Mesmer, as of the last Stress Test, is living up to its description and intended design:

"Mesmers are magical duelists who wield deception as a weapon. Using powerful illusions, clones, and phantasmal magic to confuse and distract their foes, mesmers make sure every fight is balanced in their favor and their opponents can’t believe their eyes."

Here are some more specific questions as well:

1. The main trait Malicious Sorcery from the Inspiration Trait Line, currently grants +50 malice when wielding a scepter. Why do you think this weapon was chosen instead of another? The staff initially seems to be a better choice since it has multiple skills which cause various conditions while the scepter, for all intent and purposes (not counting the blind on Counter Spell), only has one: Confusion. Was it to allow more flexibility pairing the scepter with a condition heavy off-hand? Or maybe a balance issue because if on the staff the increase in malice would be too strong?

2. What are your thoughts on Confusion as a condition, its underlining concept of design and its current functionality and worth, when compared to other conditions?

3. Are Clones currently fulfilling their job, causing confusion and adding survivability for the Mesmer? Do you think Mesmers should have more control over the placement of their illusions and/or be able to switch places with them in more ways? Is the AI for Clones sufficient or should it mirror a real player more?

4. When I tried using Phantasmal Warden in BWE3, it randomly spawned often times in a badly positioned spot. For instance, when it would have done wonders blocking an enemy attack in front of me it spawned to the enemy's side instead. Was this user error on my part or have you had similar problems with this skill?

Thanks in advance!

#115 treeqt

treeqt
  • Members

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:50 AM

View PostPowerr_Matchless, on 11 August 2012 - 07:16 PM, said:

@baklivax

Condition damage is definitely strong, but now that everyone is required to bring some forms of condition removal, makes it much less effective at effectively burning someone down quickly. At the same time we have to consider application of conditions is higher than cleansing of them, making for a proper balance.

A funny thing that happens when condition damage is as "strong" as it is right now is that direct damage also gets stronger. People are forced into dedicating skill slots (which are limited in gw2) to condition removal thus limiting their defenses against direct damage.
The game kind of forces a balance of damage types in the big picture although there is a imbalance in isolated cases.
This only holds true for as long as the imbalance is not big enough to actually make one damage type better no matter what (which is not true currently).

View PostValorLotD, on 11 August 2012 - 07:40 PM, said:

Thanks for this excellent question and set up.  I am concerned that there was a rumor started that GW2 was not going to support rated PvP.  This is absolutely false.

GW2 will have rated PVP!!!

The developers have stated that in order to ensure that early game bugs/glitches/hacks/imbalance do not distort the ladders, that they were going to implement rated matches until after release.  They may say that because they haven't ironed out the system, or they may just honestly be taking that approach.  However, it is without a doubt that GW2 will have global ladder rankings.

Their system will be built around tournaments that are weekly, monthly and annual.  The system will hopefully be up and running within a month, but that is speculation at this point.  I would assume that they will be focused first on the WvW ladders and server matching, then move their sites to Arena's.

Can you give us a link to the statement? From what I know they've never explicitly stated that your PvP performance will be associated with a numerical value. Maybe I misunderstand you/ANet here though.
[04:20:00] Dan: Just bang her
[20:05:48] ALEXIS JAGGER: I'd like to think
[20:05:51] ALEXIS JAGGER: I'm a modest person

#116 Emoeritz

Emoeritz
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Aegwynn
  • Blutdurst
  • Talents: Windwalker 1/0/2/2/2/1
  • RBG: 2056

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:00 AM

I've got a basic problem with this game, which will lead to a general question.

If I'm not mistaken you can choose your server only once.
Okay, as stated you can change it by paying money. (either by buying a new account or switch the homeserver for an existing acc.)
This whole choice thing is bugging me.MaybeI'm a little bit spoiled from other mmo's where you can easily change your server and be able to play with different people or different teams elsewhere.

I'm just a little bit concerned about this policy. Cuz, right now I'm pretty much alone (insert foreveralone.jpg), none of my friends are going to play GW2 and I don't have the luxuriousness to be part of a team right now. So, I'll more or less pick one blind folded after release and may or may not strand on an empty server with zero pvp players.

(I have to admit, that I don't know if you can form teams via x-realm but I don't think so.)

My question would be: Are there any plans to focus the PvP playerbase on certain realms for EU and US? (just like US Tichondrius, EU Aegwynn etc.)

Maybe I'm overlooking something crucial but this is my biggest problem right now.

#117 treeqt

treeqt
  • Members

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:05 AM

The answer to your question is quite simple. As long as you don't care for WvW servers do not matter at all. sPvP is region wide, that means you can invite people from every single server in your respective region (in this case EU) to a party and queue with them. Hot Join Servers are also based on your region and not on your respective server.
You can also "guest" on other servers. In order to understand this feature you have to understand that what you pick in the beginning is considered your "Home World". Your Home World always stays the same (relevant for WvW only, you can change your Home World by paying $$$), but you can always change your server within your region to PvE with dudes from that respective server.

So yeah, for sPvP you don't need to care about servers, for PvE you can change servers, for WvW it is actually relevant which one you pick.
[04:20:00] Dan: Just bang her
[20:05:48] ALEXIS JAGGER: I'd like to think
[20:05:51] ALEXIS JAGGER: I'm a modest person

#118 Emoeritz

Emoeritz
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Aegwynn
  • Blutdurst
  • Talents: Windwalker 1/0/2/2/2/1
  • RBG: 2056

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:12 AM

Thanks a lot mate, this information is a great relieve. :D

#119 Lyr_1337

Lyr_1337
  • GW2 Team

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:59 AM

View PostOzielolz, on 12 August 2012 - 03:48 AM, said:

Pretty simple question. Assuming no interuptions (Moa, fear, etc)  if you had to choose only one.

Book or Banner?

Tough question!

But if you would force me to choose, i would take book. You can take several classes, who can compensate the missing banner with their abilities. For example the ranger could revive (only one but better than none ^^) a mate, many classes have stability on their own, but their is nothing, that could compare to the book.
I guess there are other opinions out there. :D

#120 Lyr_1337

Lyr_1337
  • GW2 Team

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:42 AM

View PostOwatatsumi, on 12 August 2012 - 04:59 AM, said:

Thanks, mates, for doing this thread! I have some questions concerning the Mesmer and sPvP whenever you can get around to them.

My main question for you is if the Mesmer, as of the last Stress Test, is living up to its description and intended design:

"Mesmers are magical duelists who wield deception as a weapon. Using powerful illusions, clones, and phantasmal magic to confuse and distract their foes, mesmers make sure every fight is balanced in their favor and their opponents can’t believe their eyes."

Here are some more specific questions as well:

1. The main trait Malicious Sorcery from the Inspiration Trait Line, currently grants +50 malice when wielding a scepter. Why do you think this weapon was chosen instead of another? The staff initially seems to be a better choice since it has multiple skills which cause various conditions while the scepter, for all intent and purposes (not counting the blind on Counter Spell), only has one: Confusion. Was it to allow more flexibility pairing the scepter with a condition heavy off-hand? Or maybe a balance issue because if on the staff the increase in malice would be too strong?

2. What are your thoughts on Confusion as a condition, its underlining concept of design and its current functionality and worth, when compared to other conditions?

3. Are Clones currently fulfilling their job, causing confusion and adding survivability for the Mesmer? Do you think Mesmers should have more control over the placement of their illusions and/or be able to switch places with them in more ways? Is the AI for Clones sufficient or should it mirror a real player more?

4. When I tried using Phantasmal Warden in BWE3, it randomly spawned often times in a badly positioned spot. For instance, when it would have done wonders blocking an enemy attack in front of me it spawned to the enemy's side instead. Was this user error on my part or have you had similar problems with this skill?

Thanks in advance!

hey,

main question: Many players, who are reading this text could think about "confusing"  as a mental state of the enemy, but if they would look deeper in the game mechanics it could also be, that "confusing" means to take the condition "Confusion" on someone.
The confusing aspect is definitley a tricky thing. You will confuse new players with your illusions. They won't keep up to you until they die, if you create illusion after illusion, port forward and back and vanish every two seconds, but in the end good players will notice who you are. I guess this is intended and good.
Overall i would say the description is right, even if a part of the GW1 community would disagree. (Because of their GW1 Mesmer)

1. I guess Anet took the scepter as the weapon for this trait, because they would like to see scepter as "main condition" weapon for many classes (including the mesmer). For example necromancer's scepter is also the main condition weapon. Added with the torch, mesmer's scepter should be the same and the malice effect would also buff your torch, but in my opinion mesmer's scepter needs more love. :S

2. I love the effect of Confusion. If you stack more than ~8 and your enemy continues to buzzer his keys he hits himself so hard, that he would die in seconds. If he will stop, you won't take damage anymore. Used right Confusion can be a pain in the ass, using it wrong it's useless.

3. As is already said in 1. in my opinion you have to rethink about your meaning of confusing someone. Illusions are confusing new players, but good ones should know who you are, and they definitley keep you alive. Illusions block projectiles and the shatter effects are just awesome to survive.

4. It seems like a bug, but i don't play with this Utility very often so i am not 100% sure. :(

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ama, ask me anything, gw2, guildwars 2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<