• EU-Aegwynn
  • Blutdurst
  • Talents: Combat 1/1/2/1/1/0
  • RBG: 2215
  • LocationSouthern Germany

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:45 PM

ASK ME ANYTHING
about GuildWars 2

Welcome to the AMA here on Arena Junkies. All questions about GW2 are welcome and we assembled some of the best and most experienced GW2 players to answer them.

Some, but not all of the players that will answer have the new dark blue name tag for the GW2 Team. This is a lot more complicated than it sounds right now and it's an interim solution. There are many people around here that would deserve this tag, but we can only do so much, as it is completely manual work and can only be done by the admins, not the mods. I have no current updates on how we will handle this user group in the future, its main purpose is the AMA now. Please be patient with us, we have a huge work load right now.

With us tonight are:
Powerr, Lina Inverse and Thad Castle from Matchless
Lyr and Zwacky from atrox
Sagasu, SheepyOo, Mianhe, kwlpp, Wanbe, rotten and Freelancer from Team Legacy
spoh, teldo, blowi, cigs from team paradigm
Valor from Lords of the Dead
Lowell, Izkimar, Fredzw, Erho, from Super Squad

Moderator demi-god Blowi will make sure this thread remains free of flames and trolls.

Now, let's begin, we await your questions.

#2 hypermode_4274975

hypermode_4274975
  • Junkies
  • Taurenclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Elemental 1/1/0/0/0/0
  • RBG: 2309

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:52 PM

So I can just ask any question here and someone will answer it for me?

#3 Sagasu

Sagasu
  • GW2 Team

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:53 PM

[quote name='hypermode_4274975' timestamp='1344711120' post='3742479']
So I can just ask any question here and someone will answer it for me?
[/quote]

Yes.
Sagasu - Team Legacy (NA)

YouTube: youtube.com/teamlegacypvp
Twitch: twitch.tv/team/teamlegacy
Twitter: twitter.com/TeamLegacyNet

#4 itsHatorade

itsHatorade
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kargath
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Destruction 0/2/2/2/2/0
  • 2v2: 1615
  • 3v3: 1730
  • 5v5: 768
  • RBG: 1482

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:00 PM

Sup dudes,
Since GW2 allows you easy access to any profession in PvP as you guys get closer to finalizing your rosters and deciding your potential compositions do you guys find your selves organizing your team by professions or more by roles?

For example do you have players who play Warrior or Guardian, or do you have players who play Support, Condition Damage, or Roamer similar to a MOBA setup?

Also shoutout to Thad =P

#5 hypermode_4274975

hypermode_4274975
  • Junkies
  • Taurenclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Elemental 1/1/0/0/0/0
  • RBG: 2309

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:03 PM

Well then here goes:
From what I have seen/heard there are no dedicated healing classes and every class has their own self-heals, how does this affect the gameplay?
How is kiting in this game?
Is every class balanced against other classes or does A>B>C>A?
What different kind of pvp maps are there?
How much influence does farming/putting time into the game have on results?

Thanks in advance

#6 Guy_With_A_Question

Guy_With_A_Question
  • Members

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:07 PM

@Fredzw, what do you feel the current state of Warrior is?
@Anyone, do you currently feel that a specific profession is a must have on any given team?

#7 ValorLotD

ValorLotD
  • GW2 Team

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:08 PM

@itsHatorade:

I can say that from the testing of this game that at launch, we will have roles on our team first, accompanied with the strategy required to run those.  Due to the design of classes where each one has a certain level of damage output and survivability, we will be able to plug in multiple classes into a single role without having to drastically change our strategy.

This comes with a caveat, certain classes are going to be better at some things than others and the pro's of a class such as Elementalists, might outweigh those of an Engineer.  This could see certain classes being underused in SPvP.

From last I checked, Engi's Theives, Necros were some of the lesser used classes.  Though GW2 has dedicated itself to class balance for the coming weeks prior to launch.
[LotD] Arena Leader
Lords of the Dead: 17 Years of PvP Excellence
Selective Recruitment: Currently Open

#8 Izkimar

Izkimar
  • GW2 Team

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:09 PM

[quote name='hypermode_4274975' timestamp='1344711810' post='3742486']
Well then here goes:
From what I have seen/heard there are no dedicated healing classes and every class has their own self-heals, how does this affect the gameplay?

Thanks in advance
[/quote]

You are right, there are no dedicated healing classes, although there are some supportive heals spread across the Professions.  This actually benefits the gameplay greatly.  You still have mass team coordination for support through peels, condition removals, small heals etc., and you don't run into the turtle games of having one person bouncing health bars up over and over again for a long period of time.

Kiting is very good, there are a lot of movement skill, CC, and the movement itself is very fluid which allows for good kiting.

Most classes are pretty well balanced well in conjuction with each other, however you do run into some balancing problems.  But that is the nature of every game, there are a few builds that are on the really strong side, however they can still be dealt with for the most part.

There are 3 different maps, which are all 3 point conquest, with secondary objectives to draw your attention.  These secondary objectives can be things like the Trebuchet on Khylo, it is really powerful, and makes the map have 5 points of interest basically.

Farming has no influence on PvP whatsoever, the only time that matters is time spent practicing.

#9 BaklivaX

BaklivaX
  • Members
  • LocationSerbia

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:10 PM

What do you guys think about condition dmg? It just seems to me that it's the way to go for most of professions, rather than burst.
Posted Image

#10 Izkimar

Izkimar
  • GW2 Team

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:12 PM

[quote name='BaklivaX' timestamp='1344712204' post='3742490']
What do you guys think about condition dmg? It just seems to me that it's the way to go for most of professions, rather than burst.
[/quote]

Condition damage is very strong and has its place, but that is definitely not the case for all Professions.  Direct damage builds are definitely viable and needed, in fact you don't want to bring too much condition damage builds in your group.

#11 FredzwGW2

FredzwGW2
  • GW2 Team

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:14 PM

[quote][color=#282828][font=verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=3]@Fredzw, what do you feel the current state of Warrior is?[/size][/font][/color][/quote]

Warrior is definitely strong in this game right now. It has so many different viable tools that makes this profession the most interesting one at the moment. Arena Net did an awesome job with the warrior, by far the best warrior design among all the MMorpgs I have played.
You will be able to play many different viable builds, and you pretty much have answers to any kind of threat.
[Super Squad] Warrior player (off Guardian/Thief).
Stream link - My Guildwarsinsider weekly column - My youtube channel -
Super Squad Channel

#12 Mianhe

Mianhe
  • GW2 Team

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:15 PM

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]@itsHatorade[/b]: [size=4]When picking up our team comp we look at the roles we want to fulfill within our comp first. We then proceed to think of professions that would suit those roles.[/size]

[size=4]As there’s been many changes in the past BWEs in terms of balance, we’ve been switching around professions trying to get a general feel of what roles each profession seems to excel at. Then come up with a way to implement its toolkit during an actual match .[/size]

[size=4]As players, we have more playtime on certain professions and will try to put a specific player on their “best” profession if possible. [/size][/font][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=4]N[/size]ote that learning a new position on the field, such as an offensive roamer, takes alot more time then learning a new profession :)[/font]

Edited by Mianhe, 11 August 2012 - 07:25 PM.

Mianhe - Team Legacy (NA)

YouTube: www.youtube.com/teamlegacypvp
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/team/teamlegacy
Twitter: www.twitter.com/TeamLegacyNet

Facebook: www.facebook.com/TeamLegacyNA
Personal Twitter: www.twitter.com/TL_Mianhe

#13 Lyr_1337

Lyr_1337
  • GW2 Team

[quote name='Izkimar' timestamp='1344712331' post='3742492']
Condition damage is very strong and has its place, but that is definitely not the case for all Professions.  Direct damage builds are definitely viable and needed, in fact you don't want to bring too much condition damage builds in your group.
[/quote]
[quote name='BaklivaX' timestamp='1344712204' post='3742490']
[/quote]

With an eye on all the condition removals of different classes (including AE removals) a condition only setup won't be viable for sure. As Izkimar already said, direct damage builds are needed as well to be an competitive team.

Edited by Lyr_1337, 11 August 2012 - 07:16 PM.

#14 ValorLotD

ValorLotD
  • GW2 Team

I would challenge that without changes, condition damage does currently outperform direct damage, but within a group direct damage is required in order to finish off targets.  A team based around direct damage right now though would probably fall short of the success of a condition based team.
[LotD] Arena Leader
Lords of the Dead: 17 Years of PvP Excellence
Selective Recruitment: Currently Open

#15 Powerr_Matchless

Powerr_Matchless
  • GW2 Team

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:16 PM

@baklivax    

Condition damage is definitely strong, but now that everyone is required to bring some forms of condition removal, makes it much less effective at effectively burning someone down quickly. At the same time we have to consider application of conditions is higher than cleansing of them, making for a proper balance.

#16 Lufi

Lufi
  • Members

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:18 PM

Haven't tried much PvP myself so I would like to ask following questions, sorry if covered while I was typing.

1. How strong is synergy between professions? Like class A that strongly relies (or is even unplayable w/o) on class B (warrior/healer in wow for example), or CC synergy (mage/rogue etc).

2. Do you think lack of diminishing returns on current abilities will promote stacking certain classes (5x necro traited for fears, or guardians).

3. Are there any unique but irreplaceable abilities/skills for certain professions that will make this profession "must have" in the team

4. Looking at current abilities do you see any potential candidate for "its gonna be hard to balance", not sure how to describe it (smoke bomb equivalent)

5. Do you think having "combos" that different professions can do together adds another layer of skill cap, or is it going to be something obvious and used on daily basics

Edit:

6. If it's not somethign confidential for your current team XD, whats the pattern for picking up professions to your team

And thanks in advance.

#17 Sagasu

Sagasu
  • GW2 Team

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:18 PM

[quote name='hypermode_4274975' timestamp='1344711810' post='3742486']
Well then here goes:

Thanks in advance
[/quote]

[b][i]From what I have seen/heard there are no dedicated healing classes and every class has their own self-heals, how does this affect the gameplay?[/i][/b]
No more 20 minute games of no one dying. Fights are much quicker and to survive you employ a lot of active defenses, instead of healing an ally maybe you intercept projectiles headed towards him and use a projectile reflecting skill as an example.

[b][i]How is kiting in this game?[/i][/b]
Kiting plays a role and it's similar to other games. There are slows, roots, CC, gap closers (some of which can be used to create distance). From the BWEs I think it's easier to catch someone then kite someone although some professions have an easier time of kiting.

[i][b]Is every class balanced against other classes or does A>B>C>A? [/b][/i]
I like to think it's a bit of both. Some professions are great for 1v1 but they have counters. Other professions can be build to be kings of teamfights, Warriors for example strike me as amazing in teamfights because of their massive amount of control. Although I stress that these are just the current state of things from the BWE and stress tests. I feel like Arenanet is moving towards balancing the strong things down so that each profession has an equal shot in 1v1 if built for it.

[b][i]What different kind of pvp maps are there?[/i][/b]
The variety is nice. All maps are 3 point conquest but they all have a different secondary mechanic. Forest has 2 neutral mobs on each side of the map that award 25 points and provide a buff to the killing team much like League of Legends. City has a Trebuchet out of WvWvW that can barrage targets at long range for a massive amount of damage and a knockback, it is typically able to kill players in 2-3 shots but is only able to shoot every 3-6 seconds or so. Guild has 2 fortresses that contain Guild lords that provide a single point boost if you kill the opposing lord, it also has a larger than normal middle point for massive battles on and around that point.

[i][b]How much influence does farming/putting time into the game have on results?[/b][/i]
Roughly 0%. All stats are the same and upgrades are only aesthetic. Knowledge and Practice are the only things that give you an edge.

Edited by Sagasu, 11 August 2012 - 07:25 PM.

Sagasu - Team Legacy (NA)

YouTube: youtube.com/teamlegacypvp
Twitch: twitch.tv/team/teamlegacy
Twitter: twitter.com/TeamLegacyNet

#18 Izkimar

Izkimar
  • GW2 Team

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:20 PM

[quote name='ValorLotD' timestamp='1344712557' post='3742500']
I would challenge that without changes, condition damage does currently outperform direct damage, but within a group direct damage is required in order to finish off targets.  A team based around direct damage right now though would probably fall short of the success of a condition based team.
[/quote]

I'd actually have to disagree on this.  Especially once you start to bring more than one condi build, because they start to step on each others toes.  Also, there are many direct damage builds that can either match or outpace condition damage, condition builds just serve many different purposes that you want to have in a group.  A lot are for the sustained damage, some are for the debilitating conditions, and some builds have access to some good burst damage through conditions.

#19 Thadcastle

Thadcastle
  • GW2 Team

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:20 PM

[quote name='itsHatorade' timestamp='1344711642' post='3742484']
Sup dudes,
Since GW2 allows you easy access to any profession in PvP as you guys get closer to finalizing your rosters and deciding your potential compositions do you guys find your selves organizing your team by professions or more by roles?

For example do you have players who play Warrior or Guardian, or do you have players who play Support, Condition Damage, or Roamer similar to a MOBA setup?

Also shoutout to Thad =P
[/quote]

Hey man :)

Currently, with the limited amount of play time we have, we try to have each member learn 2-3 different professions and just get a feel of them. Because of the limited play time, though, we haven't been able to master more than one profession if we even get one.

Once release hits, though, and we get more play time, we hope to design our comp based off of roles. But you have to take into consideration there are going to be classes that some people hate to play, and some classes that they love to play.

Edit: Sorry for late reply, I kept getting an error in which I could not post URLs until I made 5 posts. I didn't have any URLs in my post and was confused :( eventually I turned off emoticons and it worked.

Edited by Thadcastle, 11 August 2012 - 07:21 PM.

#20 FredzwGW2

FredzwGW2
  • GW2 Team

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:24 PM

[quote][color=#282828][font=verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=3]5. Do you think having "combos" that different professions can do together adds another layer of skill cap, or is it going to be something obvious and used on daily basics [/size][/font][/color][/quote]

This is going to be obvious that you have to use them. This will be layer of skill cap at a "micro level"  at least at the beginning of the game (like the rogue vanish in WoW, I know you love those kind of things), but this will also add more theorycrafting options to your team composition.
This adds depth to the game, and this is good.
[Super Squad] Warrior player (off Guardian/Thief).
Stream link - My Guildwarsinsider weekly column - My youtube channel -
Super Squad Channel

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ama, ask me anything, gw2, guildwars 2

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

<