Help

Build thoughts/Most important traits

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 ViolentJay

ViolentJay
  • Members

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:25 AM

I wanted to start a thread to kind of see what most other rangers are running as well as to start a bit of a theorycraft as to which traits are the most staple for PvP (not WvW)

Anyways im running shortbow/axes w/ a lynx (sometimes ice cat) and paralyzing venom spider

Im running a bleed condi build, with most of my points stacked in wild survival as well as the crit trait line,

I have targetable traps and am running flame and sharpening stone as my utility conditions

spike trap as my slow/kiting ability

Rampage as one as my elite and healing spring as my heal

I have a hefty ammount of condi dmg (with rabid amulet) and focus on stacking bleeds ontop of burning and poison here and there, I also took the crit grants pet might trait an it actually gets to some pretty crazy numbers with RaO

I have been having the most success with this build and only really get downed in situations where they overwhelm us with numbers, otherwise i can come out ontop in most situations

I would say although that I have a lot of trouble facing groups backed by guardians (as well as condi removal builds)

I'd like to know what yall's thoughts on traits are, and what kinds of successes limitations that your builds have

#2 PhineasSurrey

PhineasSurrey
  • Members

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:58 AM

Can you please use this editor: gw2skills.net/editor/en/
It is mostly up to date, although the bleed duration on the shortbow is wrong.

If you take healing spring, consider taking the "gain vigor when you using a heal skill" trait because
it proccs with every tick of your fountain!

If you are using the shortbow I wouldn't take Sharpening Stone as a skill. Take the trait and get the Quickening Zephyr skill instead.
With that one activated your shortbow feels like a machine gun and every autoattack applies bleed.

#3 BaklivaX

BaklivaX
  • Members
  • LocationSerbia

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:08 AM

Spirit ranger or GTFO
Posted Image

#4 ViolentJay

ViolentJay
  • Members

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:23 AM

View PostPhineasSurrey, on 11 August 2012 - 08:58 AM, said:

Can you please use this editor: gw2skills.net/editor/en/

gw2skills(dot)  net/editor/en/?fMAQNAnXVjEVZ21VyVs2BiVBA1eoJJde2jE5oHdylWRF;TsAg1CqoKyUkoIbRuikFtGZUxsAA

I changed the vigor trait, I still think sharp stone is a huge damage increase , is quickening zephyr that good? Also does anyone use the strangle instead of RoA?

Spirit rangers are cool but IMO they're best utilized in WvW

#5 Smellyead

Smellyead
  • Members

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:51 PM

View PostViolentJay, on 12 August 2012 - 12:23 AM, said:

gw2skills(dot)  net/editor/en/?fMAQNAnXVjEVZ21VyVs2BiVBA1eoJJde2jE5oHdylWRF;TsAg1CqoKyUkoIbRuikFtGZUxsAA

I changed the vigor trait, I still think sharp stone is a huge damage increase , is quickening zephyr that good? Also does anyone use the strangle instead of RoA?

QZ is good but you can't be healed during the time it's up and it's pretty obvious when it is. So a good team can burst you down if they notice it.

Strangle is good for stopping point caps and keeping people where you want them. Otherwise SoN is probably the best elite, group and self rez is amazing and it also heals+removes conditions every 3seconds it's up.

#6 Nice2

Nice2
  • Members

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:01 AM

Does the healing spring remove conditions from you and your pet too, or only from your allies?

#7 Roltx

Roltx
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • EU-Kor'gall
  • Cruelty / Crueldad
  • Talents: Shadow
  • RBG: 2080

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:41 AM

View PostNice2, on 14 August 2012 - 12:01 AM, said:

Does the healing spring remove conditions from you and your pet too, or only from your allies?

From everyone.

#8 ViolentJay

ViolentJay
  • Members

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:24 AM

How do yall feel about Axe/axe vs say Sword/axe or Sword/Dagger? I thought that the sword was cooler but i found that time and time again the axe just seemed to shred my opponent to bits. That said i didn't really test out the damage but are axes that much more dmg than sword? I feel like thats just me not being used to sword but anyone wanna shed some light?

#9 ViolentJay

ViolentJay
  • Members

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:28 AM

View PostSmellyead, on 13 August 2012 - 04:51 PM, said:

Otherwise SoN is probably the best elite, group and self rez is amazing and it also heals+removes conditions every 3seconds it's up.

Im thinking that I'm going to run spirit of nature now, lol i was looking for a condi removal and just overlooked the spirit due to rampage as one's pew pew, i think that if i throw in quickening zephyr on itll move the dmg rom RoA that i lost elsewhere and i think i have enough dodges whirling axe traps to where i can pull it off.

That said, is there any way to canel quickening zephyr? like in GW1 you could cancel effects such as frenzy by switching into a stance or something

#10 Nice2

Nice2
  • Members

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:32 AM

View PostSmellyead, on 13 August 2012 - 04:51 PM, said:

Otherwise SoN is probably the best elite, group and self rez is amazing and it also heals+removes conditions every 3seconds it's up.

Where can i find this information, that SoN heals AND removes conditions every 3seconds?

Tooltip is saying: Summon a spirit that heals allies. And u have to command it to revive and remove conditions. But this has a 30sec cd.

lg

Edit: How much hp does the spirit has?

#11 ViolentJay

ViolentJay
  • Members

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:41 AM

View PostNice2, on 14 August 2012 - 09:32 AM, said:

Where can i find this information, that SoN heals AND removes conditions every 3seconds?

It isnt 3 seconds but you can trait for the ability to cure and revive on spirits death
so i guess it is pretty good idk tho

I personally dislike the nature traitline, too many other important traits

#12 Smellyead

Smellyead
  • Members

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:36 AM

View PostNice2, on 14 August 2012 - 09:32 AM, said:

Tooltip is saying: Summon a spirit that heals allies. And u have to command it to revive and remove conditions. But this has a 30sec cd.

lg

Yea, it seems to of changed since I last played my ranger. Only removes conditions on command but that's still extremely powerful. The heal is also a.decent amount every 3 secs.

#13 ViolentJay

ViolentJay
  • Members

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:41 AM

My only thoughts are that spirits can be targeted VERY easily and die without traits, so i feel its a lot of utility but at the same time its worth the ost to the enemy to take out an extra 1 sec of their time to completely stomp an elite skill, i will say that it should be possible to use it and rez people/condi cleanse off the bat other wise i wouldnt keep it out

#14 Smellyead

Smellyead
  • Members

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:25 AM

View PostViolentJay, on 16 August 2012 - 05:41 AM, said:

My only thoughts are that spirits can be targeted VERY easily and die without traits, so i feel its a lot of utility but at the same time its worth the ost to the enemy to take out an extra 1 sec of their time to completely stomp an elite skill, i will say that it should be possible to use it and rez people/condi cleanse off the bat other wise i wouldnt keep it out

Well  in most games I've played in tPvP  the SoN gets ignored by teams and can go for it's full duration. Although I always try to put it somewhere out of LoS. If you can position it well then it'll never be killed, like behind the pillar or at the top of keep.

#15 Lunde

Lunde
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Balance 1/0/2/1/2/2
  • RBG: 1771

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:15 AM

View PostSmellyead, on 16 August 2012 - 07:25 AM, said:

Well  in most games I've played in tPvP  the SoN gets ignored by teams and can go for it's full duration. Although I always try to put it somewhere out of LoS. If you can position it well then it'll never be killed, like behind the pillar or at the top of keep.

Does the abilities work on your allies that's also LoS from the spirit? :) (I've never checked this now when thinking about it)

#16 Smellyead

Smellyead
  • Members

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:15 AM

View PostLunde, on 16 August 2012 - 08:15 AM, said:

Does the abilities work on your allies that's also LoS from the spirit? :) (I've never checked this now when thinking about it)

To be honest, I've never checked it properly. It heals me and others when they're LoS so I would assume the same of the Rez and condition removal.

#17 Lunde

Lunde
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Balance 1/0/2/1/2/2
  • RBG: 1771

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:39 AM

View PostSmellyead, on 16 August 2012 - 10:15 AM, said:

To be honest, I've never checked it properly. It heals me and others when they're LoS so I would assume the same of the Rez and condition removal.

Ok :)

#18 Windwrath1

Windwrath1
  • Members
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • US-Daggerspine
  • Cyclone
  • Talents: Protection

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:10 AM

View PostSmellyead, on 16 August 2012 - 07:25 AM, said:

Umm, why wouldn't you have the trait that makes the spirits follow you? That's standard on a spirit Ranger.

#19 Jokerplex

Jokerplex
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Marksmanship 2/0/0/2/1/1

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:17 AM

whats the point of playing spirit ranger when you can literally kil people in 5 sconds with bleed build. If your worried about them having condi remove just outplayed them

rangers r sick

spirit rangers just seem sup par to other supports

Edited by Jokerplex, 19 August 2012 - 09:22 AM.

#20 CharrGaming

CharrGaming
  • Members

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:17 PM

depends on the build / weapons you use

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<