Help

Arenas in GW2?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 gunnarkeith

gunnarkeith
  • Members

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:52 PM

Has anyone given thought to the idea of 2v2,3v3 & 5v5 structured PvP on a small/somewhat symmetricall map, similar to the Arenas of WoW?

It'd be my dream to play THAT in a competative sense, in GW2!
Have any ANet devs mentioned it before?
Would you like to see it?

#2 Sagasu

Sagasu
  • GW2 Team

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:16 PM

They haven't mentioned it. In my opinion the 5v5 conquest is better for the game as an ESport.
Sagasu - Team Legacy (NA)

YouTube: youtube.com/teamlegacypvp
Twitch: twitch.tv/team/teamlegacy
Twitter: twitter.com/TeamLegacyNet

#3 ValorLotD

ValorLotD
  • GW2 Team

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:32 PM

I think that if GW2 wanted to do what WoW does, it would fail.  A new game should only ever take principles of what past games have done, but use them to create their own game that is easily distinguishable from their competition.
[LotD] Arena Leader
Lords of the Dead: 17 Years of PvP Excellence
Selective Recruitment: Currently Open

#4 Zaephyr

Zaephyr
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Unholy 0/0/2/2/0/2
  • RBG: 2416

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:42 PM

True but they could take some aspects from gw1 which was before WoW arena.

(not entirely sure on these facts as it was a while ago)

Edited by Zaephyr, 10 August 2012 - 06:43 PM.

"Please use an appropriate signature; thanks! www.arenajunkies.com/forum-9/announcement-3-forum-rules-2272014

#5 ValorLotD

ValorLotD
  • GW2 Team

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:54 PM

We all should just remember that GW2, like every other MMO, is launching a new product.  They could have done what WOW did and just keep adding onto GW1, but instead chose to create a new game.  There will be patches.  There will be updates.  What they offer now is a fresh change from what is already out there.

I would expect them to introduce more in the arena world, just as GW1 did.  It just will take some time.
[LotD] Arena Leader
Lords of the Dead: 17 Years of PvP Excellence
Selective Recruitment: Currently Open

#6 Philijongon

Philijongon
  • Members
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:54 PM

GW1 also offered only 5+ tournament structured PvP as far as I know.

The only thing I would like added was a dueling system.

#7 Supabad

Supabad
  • Members

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:57 PM

Dueling would be superb, even if it were confined to the Mists. Best way to learn about other classes next to rolling then all yourself.
Posted Image

#8 bookworm438

bookworm438
  • Members

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:59 PM

At this point, Structured PvP (sPvP) in Guild Wars 2 is split into 2 areas: Tournament play and Hot-joinable play.

Tournament Play:
Tournament play is always 5v5 PvP, and the number of rounds vary depending on the type. It uses the same maps that are used in hot-joinable mode.  
  • Pick-up: Pits 8 teams of 5 against each other in a three round single-elimination match. The winner will receive a certain number of qualifier points.
  • Monthly: A tournament that takes place each month, and a certain amount of qualifier points from pick-up play are required.
  • Yearly: Winners of monthly tournaments will fight each other once a year to determine who's the best PvP team of the year. (Unconfirmed, but ArenaNet may have cash prizes like they did in GW1)
  • Player-run: Player designed tournaments.
Hot-Join PvP:
A type of PvP similar to something you would see in a game like TF2. People can jump in and leave as they please. These have a variable number of players ranging from 1-10. You can always play on the same server if you would like, so you can a group of friends can always play with each other. Uses the same maps as tournament play. The lobby is shared across all the worlds, so you can play with/against players from all different worlds.

Available Maps on Release:
  • Battle of Kyhlo
  • Forest of Niflhel
  • Legacy of the Foefire
  • 1 more map (rumored to be an underwater map)

#9 Lyr_1337

Lyr_1337
  • GW2 Team

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:33 PM

Different PvP Types would kill the balance in my opinion. Now Anet can focus on Tournament 5v5 CapturePoint Maps. If they would add an arena like system, the whole balance would be broken in many ways.

a dueling system would be really great. :X

#10 bookworm438

bookworm438
  • Members

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:06 PM

View PostLyr_1337, on 10 August 2012 - 07:33 PM, said:

Different PvP Types would kill the balance in my opinion. Now Anet can focus on Tournament 5v5 CapturePoint Maps. If they would add an arena like system, the whole balance would be broken in many ways.

a dueling system would be really great. :X

ArenaNet said they were initially considering more PvP types to be in on release, including deathmatch, king of the hill, etc., but they decided on capture the point because it's was the most fun in their internal testing apparently. They are evaluating adding more PvP types for post-release, but it'll depend on demand.

Also they are considering a dueling system for post-release, but again it depends on demand for it.

#11 Lillpappz

Lillpappz
  • Members
  • LocationSweden

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:03 PM

GW2 PvP will most likely always be balanced around conquest but I can see them adding different game modes for non tournament play. King of the hill and capture the flag would be fun. I dont see deathmatch as a fun game mode when there are no healers and I honestly dont want it in GW2. Maybe in a norn tournament style where its 1v1 and winner stays.

#12 Ascleph

Ascleph
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Frostmourne
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Retribution

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:11 PM

View Postbookworm438, on 10 August 2012 - 08:06 PM, said:

ArenaNet said they were initially considering more PvP types to be in on release, including deathmatch, king of the hill, etc., but they decided on capture the point because it's was the most fun in their internal testing apparently. They are evaluating adding more PvP types for post-release, but it'll depend on demand.

I remember them saying that. Arena deathmatch play was probably something that didnt work because of the lack of healer and the potential burst some profesions have. It would encourage either extreme glass canon builds or extreme turtle builds.

Also they are considering a dueling system for post-release, but again it depends on demand for it.
I believe Ferguson confirmed in game yesterday it'll be implemented post release, as in, not under consideration anymore, its happening.

#13 Windwrath1

Windwrath1
  • Members
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • US-Daggerspine
  • Cyclone
  • Talents: Protection

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:22 AM

Yup. Personally I hope they stick with what they've got and just refine/add more maps. 5v5 is plenty fun and deathmatch is actually way less interesting than what they've got now.

No, they said dueling is going to be in but they have yet to spec it out. It will be post-launch, and probably pretty far after post-launch I don't think it's in their top priorities, but they know people want it so they're adding it. (This is based on some Anet chats from BWE3 posted to reddit.)

#14 treeqt

treeqt
  • Members

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:37 AM

I don't think it will be far post-launch since it's really, really easy to implement.
[04:20:00] Dan: Just bang her
[20:05:48] ALEXIS JAGGER: I'd like to think
[20:05:51] ALEXIS JAGGER: I'm a modest person

#15 Windwrath1

Windwrath1
  • Members
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • US-Daggerspine
  • Cyclone
  • Talents: Protection

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:14 AM

View Posttreeqt, on 13 August 2012 - 06:37 AM, said:

I don't think it will be far post-launch since it's really, really easy to implement.

Could go either way. Their philosophy has been, so far, "don't do it unless you can do it justice."

So they might implement it really fast, because of pressure, OR they might do it really well and surprise us.

#16 wuzzle

wuzzle
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • EU-Azshara
  • Glutsturm / Emberstorm
  • Talents: Retribution 1/0/0/2/2/0

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:47 PM

The thing with the 5v5 system is that you need to form a team of 5. Getting 5 (adequate) people together is infinitely more a pain in the arse than 3.

I like the additional depth a conquer mode provides but getting a 5 man team running is an effort not many can pull off.

#17 Except

Except
  • Members
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:27 PM

I think that was they are going with for the release is alright, and people really do find conquest maps fun, but as for me capture the flag would be awesome and they should totally put it in the game asap if they are planning on doing so at all.

As to the duelling, I was really surprised they didn't have that in game, the first time I played. I know, there is a lot to do in the game and people shouldn't just stay right outside of Orgrimar in the Heart of the Mists and duel, but it is a nice feature to have and it will be nice if they add it soon after or even on launch.
"We are gamers, not because we don't have a life, but because we chose to have many"Posted Image
The build I'm using right now. Totally viable and effective. (Gandara - Except Starwalker)
Also, check out my web site:
http://miss-click.com/

#18 Supabad

Supabad
  • Members

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:41 PM

Rated battlegrounds in wow were a great time and they took lots of coordination and strategy, from planning team composition to game play. I'm sure the same amount if planning will go in to sPvP in gw2. Death matches are quite fun but given how the classes operate, I think objective sPvP will require more strategy than insta-gibbing a squishy or boring people to death with super tank builds. Plus we can all heal so often matches could potentially last a long while.
Posted Image

#19 bookworm438

bookworm438
  • Members

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:48 PM

View Postwuzzle, on 14 August 2012 - 12:47 PM, said:

The thing with the 5v5 system is that you need to form a team of 5. Getting 5 (adequate) people together is infinitely more a pain in the arse than 3.

I like the additional depth a conquer mode provides but getting a 5 man team running is an effort not many can pull off.

It's not that hard actually. People managed to put teams of 8 together in GW1. Just get 5 of your guild mates together and go. Use your guild to practice. Get 10 of your guild mates together and practice various techniques and strategies.

#20 Smellyead

Smellyead
  • Members

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:33 PM

View Postwuzzle, on 14 August 2012 - 12:47 PM, said:

It's not like people won't be spamming chat for teams all the time... You could easily pick up another two people if you only have three.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<