Help

Opinion: Thieves suck in PVP

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 FoER

FoER
  • Members

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:00 PM

Thief is still fun to play in WvW with Scorpian Wire!

#22 Jayrougeness2012

Jayrougeness2012
  • Members
  • LocationNYC

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:02 PM

I don't think they suck. If you know how to use your character that you could play well there's no problem.

#23 Unztable

Unztable
  • Members

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:23 PM

As noted by a lot of people already, it comes down to player skill. In my experience with beta's and stress tests if the player doesn't know how to play they just get wrecked. The PvP leaves little of anyway to just jump in and be OP, you have to learn to play your class to be good and also learn other classes to catch their weaknesses. I've tried em all and think they are fairly balanced with some tweaks needed here and there. WvW is just fun for every class however lol.

#24 Esoterikk

Esoterikk
  • Members

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:08 PM

Yea the biggest thing I found with thieves is they are extremely fickle, understand how abilities translate and combo fields as well as how much initiative you are going to need to pull off abilities in the next X minutes instead of just the next ability is fundamental to the class. The best example I can give is Cast Cloak and Dagger -> Cast steal -> C&D lands -> Use stealth pistol ability for a lot of damage -> shadow strike to maintain range , timing this and doing it with enough initiative to not be neutered after is part of the class imo and there are a lot of intricate things like this.

Simply being able to steal while casting cloak and dagger so I don't have to run up was something I had to practice the timing for and someone who wasn't thinking outside the box or reading guides probably wouldn't have figured out.
Posted Image

#25 Zres

Zres
  • Members

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:15 AM

That might be helpful, specially against those warriors who will use hundred blades the moment they reach you, though it seems that it's all about good timing as you said.

#26 KaossDLE

KaossDLE
  • Members

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:24 PM

I also use scorpion wire for wvwvw fun!

#27 Sethuriel

Sethuriel
  • Members

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:43 AM

I thought they were quite strong on this last stress test with dagger/dagger and pistol/pistol, they can kill a target really really fast. the change to the spin elite was nice too, and I think Executioner(20% dmg on <50% hp targets) became pretty much a mandatory trait point to get if you're at least investing in Critical Strikes, they're still very squishy if caught tough. There was a colossal number of thieves on sPvP this last stress test.

#28 BaklivaX

BaklivaX
  • Members
  • LocationSerbia

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:06 AM

Didn't menage to play stress test when the thieves got buffed, last night i played and it was just lol. Facerolling shit, guess they do really listen to community, problem is it was bunch of 15 years old wannabe Altair
Posted Image

#29 Sethuriel

Sethuriel
  • Members

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:37 PM

View PostBaklivaX, on 22 August 2012 - 09:06 AM, said:

Didn't menage to play stress test when the thieves got buffed, last night i played and it was just lol. Facerolling shit, guess they do really listen to community, problem is it was bunch of 15 years old wannabe Altair

All I've seen were thieves spamming heartseeker yesterday lol. And that hurted a lot.

#30 BaklivaX

BaklivaX
  • Members
  • LocationSerbia

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:27 PM

Not just heartseeker, but sword as well. Pistol whip especially, that spells feels like new 100b, just it costs 5 initiative therefor u can do it 3 times in a row...
Posted Image

#31 wmd221

wmd221
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Whisperwind
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Assassination

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:53 AM

pistol whip has always been a mini HB, but it has a smaller hitbox and much lower damage

#32 TiffyMissWiffy

TiffyMissWiffy
  • Members

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:57 PM

It is easy to get squashed, but if don't take on a group of ppl alone you should be good. Pick off stranglers or try to stick around other team mates. You won't be a warrior, but it is still a fun race to play.  

Mind you I am a tall norn and stick out like a sore thumb and usually getting attacked before I see the small Asura.

#33 fant0m8

fant0m8
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Eredar
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Marksmanship

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:00 PM

Oh god, the irony is thick in my original post.

My PVE main is a Warrior now, but I am pretty much exclusively playing Thief in PVP.

Backstab = best spike in the game. I didn't realize this at all back in the BWEs, and didn't think for a second to use steal purely as an opener or how much damage the trait adds to it.

Funny how things turn out, but I'm not someone who won't play something just because I said it sucked 2-3 months ago!
Bye again! This game isn't fun when you don't know anyone else that still plays.

#34 BringYourFriends

BringYourFriends
  • Members

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:05 PM

Im sorry I stopped taking you seriously at thief's suck in general. Please go broaden your experience first.

#35 Kurooz

Kurooz
  • Members

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:55 PM

Well, I think thieves have enough potential to grow in survivability as the player improves in skill. It's a class that needs a lot of movement and anticipation.

#36 Dawid

Dawid
  • Members

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:15 AM

I think thieves are balanced, they can oneshot ppl and you can kill them with oneshot too.

#37 Neglekt

Neglekt
  • Members

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:16 AM

lol boy was this guy wrong

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<