Guardian Two-Handed Build (Greatsword/Hammer) full explanation video

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Prometheus0110

Prometheus0110
  • Members

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:49 PM

Hello everyone,

I am a former arena player from WoW, and I have completely fallen in love with Guild Wars 2.  I played a Paladin, so a natural choice for me was to pick Guardian for Guild Wars 2, and I haven't been disappointed at all.  In addition to support, Guardians have really strong offensive power.  I personally really liked the Two-Handed weapons and wanted to make a viable build with them.

Note, after a bit of theorycrafting, I would make some minor adjustments to the build (I have posted both the original and the updated one with explanations after the video).  However even though I'd make a couple changes, the core principles behind the build, and the usage of both the Greatsword and the Hammer are still the same.

First, here's the video:

The build featured in the video (30/10/10/20/0):
http://gw2skills.net...wjgHLPOek8sEYIA

The build I am running tomorrow in the stress test:
(25/25/0/20/0)

A brief explanation for this change:

With this change, you lose some power, and give up Zealous Blade in the Zeal line.  Zealous Blade doesn't actually heal for much and isn't worth the Grandmaster trait, sadly

Additionally, you give up Meditation Mastery in Valor, because its only affecting one of your utility skills, Judges Intervention.  While this is good, the benefits you get from the Radiance tree are way better (Also, I believe Judges Intervention will be nerfed, the teleport is WAY too good right now - I touch on this in the video).

In Radiance, you pick up Inscribed Removal, which allows your heal and your knockdown to remove a condition off of you, a great added benefit.  This combined with the use of Purging Flames means that conditions don't stay on you for very long.

You also get the great minor trait Renewed Justice, which allows Virtue of Justice to cool down every time you kill someone - a very important feature.  And the 25 point minor trait in Radiance, Radiant Power,means you do 10% more damage against someone with conditions - Combine Radiant Power (10%) with Firey Wrath (10% against burning) and the 6 set piece of Flame Legion gear (5% against burning) and you are doing a whopping 25% more damage against burning targets.  Very impressive stuff!

And, that's not to mention that you go from 39% crit to about 47% crit, and you only go down to 3125 attack from 3175.

I'll post an update after the Stress Test tomorrow, but sadly I am only going to get to play for an hour and a half so I am not sure what kind of footage I am going to get.

Let me know what you think, and thanks for reading :)

#2 ipchu

ipchu
  • Members

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:40 PM

I played around with the first build on BWE3 and it was one of the more successful builds I messed around with for solo play.

#3 Sethuriel

Sethuriel
  • Members

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:19 PM

Howdy! i really liked your build, but it seems very glass cannon to me, i mean it looks like kill fast or be killed in theory because i don't see much investing on condition removal traits and utility skills that would give you more resistance . But don't get me wrong, I do believe you can take down a target very fast with that and looks really solid
Have you compared the grabbin full meditation traits and invest on utility skills(meditations) that would help you get rid of condition effects and giving nice heals to you(by dropping say 20 points from zeal and investing them on valor) instead of the 5% greatsword dmg and greatsword heal? If you did, what's your feedback about it?
Really liked your build and please give more feedback if you test it and more variations today!

Best of luck

#4 Sensational

Sensational
  • Members

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:50 PM

Honestly, a guardian that isn't using the spirit weapons traited to stay up after skill use, is missing out. Those things are ridiculously strong.

#5 auxiliaryout

auxiliaryout
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Kil'jaeden
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Unholy 0/0/0/2/0/2
  • RBG: 2345
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:43 AM

dat hammer. i'll be uploading my support play tonight.

#6 Benbass

Benbass
  • Members
  • LocationFrance

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:44 PM

Hi, cool video. The build seems very balanced, I want to try it now. ^^

One question: Purging flames removes condition on yourself but on the tooltips it says that it does it on allies. Do you know if is it normal or it's going to change ?

#7 Timatsu

Timatsu
  • Members

Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:15 PM

Great work, very well done!

#8 iTzDevo

iTzDevo
  • Members

Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:32 PM

Nice build. looking forward to seeing how this further develops. I plan to run a 2h build similar to yours upon launch.

#9 Benbass

Benbass
  • Members
  • LocationFrance

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:22 PM

I just tested this build for 1 hour during the last stress-test. It is SO powerfull, it's amazing. I didn't understand everything what I was doing (too much to process in this game when you learn xD) but I had a good DPS and good CC overall.
Also, this build is quite complex. I didn't use the sigil as dispel or trying to keep the burns on the enemies, there is room to improve, it's a great feeling.

Gratz' for this build.

#10 Helvis

Helvis
  • Members

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:22 PM

Great Video and build!
It also showcases your skill you can definately play.

#11 Androme1

Androme1
  • Members

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:33 AM

Hey, very nice video.

Have you also played a Warrior? If so, how did it feel DPSing as a Warrior vs a Guardian? Did it feel more ''aggressive'' and ''fluid'' playing a Warrior?

#12 Imdoinme

Imdoinme
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Deathwing
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Affliction

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:52 PM

wow this is the first thing I've seen that has me swaying towards guardian over warrior now.  cool video and great explanations.

thanks

#13 Neveynn

Neveynn
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Combat 1/0/2/1/0/1
  • 2v2: 1779
  • 3v3: 2252
  • 5v5: 1990
  • RBG: 192

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:42 AM

Just wanted to show you my version of this build, which is a bit less glasscanon-ish. Enchants, weapons and jewel is the same. The only things i changed are the traits: 20-10-10-20-10

I've also been playing around with 2 other skills, who replaced 'Purging Flames':

-Signet of Judgement vs Purging flames
  -Save Yourselves! vs Purging Flames

Signet of Judgement: -10% dmg passive, 5sec reta and 5sec weakness on a 16sec CD!
Save Yourselves!: you draw conditions from part memebers to yourself but you gain fury, vigor, might, prot, regen, swiftness, and reta for 10sec. Awesome for bursty moments.

What you loose is the condition remover -yes can be though at times vs heavy condition teams, the extra burn (which imo you don't need) and no combination field for wall of fire.

Just my 2cents, lemme know what you think :)

#14 DuxTrux

DuxTrux
  • Members

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:14 AM

I feel like every guardian build is pretty much required to have mediation heal. the hps is just too good. without it you're handicapping yourself regardless of what you're trying to acomplish with the build.

#15 HidaHayabusa

HidaHayabusa
  • Members

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:06 PM

It's an amazing build (especially the 25/25/0/20/0) and one that makes sense if you are even joining random sPvP. Support guardian is as good as the team he/she supports. In random sPvP I never found myself in a situation that I wanted to turtle until my team-mates arrive. Going aggressive in one (or two) targets and keeping them off the point while I 'tank' them works fine.

Some questions though:

1) How is your gameplay against Mesmers. In the video you have uploaded, I didn't see a single fight against a mesmer (and I think that I didn't even see one against a Thief). Right now Mesmers are everywhere, and they are very annoying. Personally, I try to keep teleport and Ring for when he gets those clones out and keep my 'stay here' abilities for when he has dodged away twice.

2) Although I understand the benefits of the +10% duration on burning, wouldn't a proc sigil (chance to do something per crit) be nice? Half of your strikes are criticals, so I guess that a random proc (especially ones that have 60% chance to happen) would add up to the bursty nature of the build. 10% on burning durations is 1sec tick, I think.

Kudos for uploading the video and inspiring me with your build. It's amazing and really fun to play with.

Thanks!

#16 MarcellusAU

MarcellusAU
  • Members
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:01 AM

Always loved the gs, nice work. Pity now with the patch it's a little different but I'll have to learn to adjust.
Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.c.../MarcellusGamer
Guild Wars 2 - Guardian tournament gameplay.
"Champions rise and fall, but legends never die."

#17 Envenom.

Envenom.
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Alonsus
  • Cruelty / Crueldad
  • Talents: Retribution

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:15 AM

is this still viable

#18 Shibbeh

Shibbeh
  • Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:29 AM

View PostEnvenom., on 11 September 2013 - 11:15 AM, said:

is this still viable

Nope. If you role guardian now, it's going to be bunker with heals/condition removal. Most decent teams have learned how to pop stability and ignore your cc. You're better off with condition removal.

Won't let me post link to build. Run a search for team curse, Azshene for his latest build.

#19 Envenom.

Envenom.
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Alonsus
  • Cruelty / Crueldad
  • Talents: Retribution

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:43 PM

View PostShibbeh, on 12 September 2013 - 02:29 AM, said:

Nope. If you role guardian now, it's going to be bunker with heals/condition removal. Most decent teams have learned how to pop stability and ignore your cc. You're better off with condition removal.

Won't let me post link to build. Run a search for team curse, Azshene for his latest build.

thank you

#20 Ayrasaurus

Ayrasaurus
  • Junkies
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Arms 1/1/2/1/1/0
  • RBG: 2379
  • LocationYorkshire mates

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:54 PM

View PostEnvenom., on 12 September 2013 - 04:43 PM, said: