Guild Wars 2 now featured on Arena Junkies

Guild Wars 2 GW2 Arena Junkies guides videos recruitment tournament sPvP

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 Ramasez

Ramasez
  • Members

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:00 PM

So actual skill based instead of gear based = unbalanced in GW2... ok got it.

#42 zephah

zephah
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Mug'thol
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Assassination

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:01 PM

I was a GW2 hater up until I tried the BWE's, and honestly, I feel bad for ever bashing the game.

The PvP is smooth, the combat is great, I think maybe Guardian/Mesmer survivability and Warrior/Elementalist combo damage could be toned down a bit, but other than that the game feels pretty damn awesome.

I don't see why people think games like GW2 and WoW can't co-exist. Tiered progression is a whole lot different than just cosmetic gear upgrades.

If you think GW2 will be the same as Aion, SWTOR, Rift, etc, then you haven't been paying attention.

edit;

I must say though, I really hope the AJ community can 'grow up' a bit with the release of GW2... If end of WoTLK/Cata AJ is what we'll be expecting with GW2, I doubt I'll be frequenting the board much anymore.

Last thing we need with a new game is people just talking trash to those who are new or need help. That's not how you build a game.

Edited by zephah, 10 August 2012 - 08:03 PM.

#43 Thaz

Thaz
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Area 52
  • Retaliation
  • Talents: Affliction 0/0/1/0/0/1
  • RBG: 2219

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:15 PM

View Postzephah, on 10 August 2012 - 08:01 PM, said:

I was a GW2 hater up until I tried the BWE's, and honestly, I feel bad for ever bashing the game.

The PvP is smooth, the combat is great, I think maybe Guardian/Mesmer survivability and Warrior/Elementalist combo damage could be toned down a bit, but other than that the game feels pretty damn awesome.

I don't see why people think games like GW2 and WoW can't co-exist. Tiered progression is a whole lot different than just cosmetic gear upgrades.

If you think GW2 will be the same as Aion, SWTOR, Rift, etc, then you haven't been paying attention.

edit;

I must say though, I really hope the AJ community can 'grow up' a bit with the release of GW2... If end of WoTLK/Cata AJ is what we'll be expecting with GW2, I doubt I'll be frequenting the board much anymore.

Last thing we need with a new game is people just talking trash to those who are new or need help. That's not how you build a game.

Well put man. Just needs to separate WoW for GW2. Would like to see an AJ for GW2 like AJ was back in TBC.
Posted Image

#44 Bheezem

Bheezem
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Vashj
  • Whirlwind
  • Talents: Destruction 0/1/1/0/1/.

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:21 PM

I have a tendency to get hyped up about games, always hoping for a WoW alternative (one of the stereotypical game started dying during wrath believers) to competitive PvP. Couldn't find anything in the MMORPG genre until I played GW2 during all the BWEs. The PvP is smooth,fast paced, and less based around one class being a certain build, I found in the tournements we played (we won 3/5 of them with a team of 4) that any player can build the class into the role they want, what matters is that as long as your team has someone to fill the necessary roles at the end of the day anyone can play them.

#45 Maelwaedd

Maelwaedd
  • Members
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:36 PM

Welcome aboard AJ, nice to see some GW2 love
looking forward to some great info being shared
Tongue-tied and twisted Just an Earth-bound misfit I

#46 velourfog

velourfog
  • Members

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:13 PM

It's nice to see major gaming sites picking up on the fact that Guild Wars 2 is different from the other WoW clones and subpar MMOs.  It's unlikely that any game will topple the WoW juggernaut's status as #1 (at least until WoW becomes too outdated to be worth playing), but GW2 is here to stay.

#47 Helvis

Helvis
  • Members

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:19 PM

Glad to see it happen.

#48 Duckers

Duckers
  • Moderators
  • Curse Premium
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Cho'gall
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Affliction
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:39 AM

View Postzephah, on 10 August 2012 - 08:01 PM, said:

Eh, I was the opposite. I was pretty hyped for it, and after trying the BWEs I ended up giving my account away after being pretty disappointed.

General gameplay wasn't so bad, questing/PvE was nice but PvP was dull and felt like it lacked intricacy. Didn't really feel like it gave people the opportunity to 'shine' as players. But maybe it's just due to it being a more team focused game. I liked the dodge mechanic, but combat really bored me. Tried pretty much every class over the 3 tests and just couldn't get into it, idk. Guess it's just not my thing.

#49 Maelwaedd

Maelwaedd
  • Members
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:48 AM

@duckers

yeah the spvp is really team based a good team will beat 5 great players, and not too sure what you mean by lacking intricacy sure you dont have 15 abilities to activate at the same time like in wow but you have mutiple weapon sets which offer different ability combo's

the ability to shine in gw2 spvp is by creating a build which is really solid, its all about player skill inside and outside the arena

still rather surprised you gave it up so early especially when you have already paid all you were going to pay

it takes time to be able to get the game mechanics let alone all the different professions, some of the best pvper's are saying they still dont have a handle on it cos they havn't had the game time

hope you give it another shot plus what else are you gonna play til MoP is released

#50 Duckers

Duckers
  • Moderators
  • Curse Premium
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Cho'gall
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Affliction
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:57 AM

View PostMaelwaedd, on 13 August 2012 - 01:48 AM, said:

still rather surprised you gave it up so early especially when you have already paid all you were going to pay

hope you give it another shot plus what else are you gonna play til MoP is released
I don't currently play anything nor do I plan on playing MoP. I was hoping GW2 would blow me away enough to pull me back into gaming a bit but shrug. A friend of mine really wanted to play, and very much enjoyed his time in the betas so he'll make better use of it than I ever would.

#51 Maelwaedd

Maelwaedd
  • Members
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:01 AM

Like you said maybe its not for you, better luck on your next game.... and there will be a next game, once a gamer always a gamer

#52 wuzzle

wuzzle
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • EU-Azshara
  • Glutsturm / Emberstorm
  • Talents: Retribution 1/0/0/2/2/0

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:13 AM

View PostMaelwaedd, on 13 August 2012 - 02:01 AM, said:

Like you said maybe its not for you, better luck on your next game.... and there will be a next game, once a gamer always a gamer
A proper girlfriend can change that. :P

#53 Twaygarr

Twaygarr
  • Members

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:17 PM

What if she works at EA?

#54 Twaygarr

Twaygarr
  • Members

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:57 PM

I tried WvW in the 1st two betas and loved every second of it. In the 3rd week I played around in PvE and checked out the crafting system, this was great as well!

The skill system seems simplistic at first but the the more I played the more I could see that every "OP" build will have it's counter. Players will not have to "cry to/wait on" the devs to "nerf" the class to make if more "fair"...We can just make a counter build and on it goes.

#55 ROKMODE

ROKMODE

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:10 AM

Good shit AJ. I don't have much of any interest in GW 2, but it's fantastic to see this website branching out and hopefully this strengthens the AJ community. Now if GD just got cleaned up a bit :).

Offtopic, but my major problem with wow arena was never the balance exactly. The issue I had with competitive pvp was moreso the fact that the game is an mmo. In most competitive games, you can adapt by picking something else to counterpick for bad team matchups. In wow arena, there are blatant counterpicks in arena that are often unwinnable, but the issue is the fact that you cannot feasibly counterpick their counterpick unless you want to spend 50000000000 years leveling and gearing a new character. I never liked that. Picking an ele shaman from day one of cataclysm was a huge letdown because of how it was pretty much bad to mediocre throughout cataclysm, and I didn't have the drive to spend 9000 years getting another 85. I sense a fundamental flaw in the game in terms of competitive pvp when it takes more time to level a damn character than it does to learn it. It is IMPOSSIBLE to achieve complete balance in a game like Wow where there are hundreds of spells and hundreds of spells that counter other spells and tons of gear. A completely balanced game cannot exist unless everyone is playing the same spec/class/gear which is very boring. I come from a background of fighting games, so whenever my character(s) have terrible matchups, I pick a fucking different character, so I don't blantantly lose. I cannot do this in wow unless I spend numerous hours boringly grinding my ass off. This is why I feel like the MOp change where you can see enemie's specs before the gates open is a GREAT idea.

Edited by ROKMODE, 15 August 2012 - 08:18 AM.

Expect bias in posts because
Wotlk is the best thing since sliced bread

#56 graceoconnor

graceoconnor
  • Members

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:39 PM

This is good .. GW is great for me

#57 graceoconnor59

graceoconnor59
  • Members

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:13 PM

yes good idea