• US-Lightning's Blade
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Enhancement
  • RBG: 2452

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:40 PM

[quote name='gorz' timestamp='1343822094' post='3737371']
whats eq?
[/quote]

EQ is one of the first skilled MMO games. Skill is going into the Plane of Fear as a Necromancer and soloing your own Tier gear from the boogeyman.

That is skill.

#22 Rod

Rod
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Lightbringer
  • Cruelty / Crueldad
  • Talents: Combat
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:01 PM

these 2 dont combine

#23 ardnut

ardnut
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents:
  • RBG: 1743

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:51 PM

I would agree there is skill involved in the game.  Also thanks for the great guide.  The only problem is that skill isn't the only factor with gear and class imbalances playing a huge role also.
* RBG/PvP Guild * Stormscale EU * Recruitment Thread * Click Below *
Posted Image

#24 Epzyxo

Epzyxo
  • Epzý
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Fire 1/2/0/2/1/.
  • LocationNorway

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:34 PM

eq = equalizer xd

Posted Image

#25 zenton

zenton
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Discipline 0/0/1/1/2/1

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:34 PM

Pre-cataclysm rogue vs rogue duels, with all the reactive (and yes, sometimes predictive) vanish - countering vanish minigames.. (vanish the blind - blind the vanish etc..)

Now that was a skillcap with an equal to any of the most "skillcapped" games.

And while reaction has now much less meaning than it had in f.e. S5 it's still a factor, just as maning your posioton, your movements and your cds.

As a sum, skill is certeainly a huge part of WoW, even if it's a bit different from lets say Quake3.

#26 Saru93

Saru93
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Holy 1/1/0/1/1/1

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:46 PM

2 + rep for Vanguards thread

3 + rep for Minpojkes "first xx xx"

Posted Image

anyways g00d post

#27 Maitopurkki

Maitopurkki
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Discipline
  • LocationTurku )))

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:04 PM

View PostEnteyjin, on 01 August 2012 - 02:46 AM, said:

wow wont ever be a skill based game, always depends what comp u  run and what gear u have. u barely play against a team where it comes to who has more skill except mirror with equal gear. for example backpaddling tripple dps wins against multi r1 rls... completely retarded. so banning pve gear from arena wud take us a big step forward. but i guess there will always be teams which are getting hardcountered by other teams...
just my  2 cents

btw playing chess besides wow calms down ur nerves

WoW will never be balanced game, but saying it doesn´t require skill is just ignorant. Yeah you are in disadvantage sometimes when enemy have better gear or counter your comp, but you can most of the time outcome that by outplaying / outcoordinating them. Sure if you play tsg and your coordination is "Go priest" "yEaH" "Priest didn't die, i guess we lose now" i can see how you think like that.
Posted Image

View PostÁlex1296683699, on 24 April 2012 - 10:08 AM, said:

sadly pve in this season can carry u easily :(

#28 Enteyjin

Enteyjin
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Aegwynn
  • Blutdurst
  • Talents: Frost 0/1/2/2/0/0
  • RBG: 2572

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:24 PM

View PostMaitopurkki, on 01 August 2012 - 03:04 PM, said:

WoW will never be balanced game, but saying it doesn´t require skill is just ignorant. Yeah you are in disadvantage sometimes when enemy have better gear or counter your comp, but you can most of the time outcome that by outplaying / outcoordinating them. Sure if you play tsg and your coordination is "Go priest" "yEaH" "Priest didn't die, i guess we lose now" i can see how you think like that.

seems like u know how tsg works these days

#29 NiNLeX

NiNLeX
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Ravencrest
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Affliction 0/1/2/0/0/0

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:50 PM

View PostHackattack3, on 01 August 2012 - 06:12 AM, said:

To the OP,

Although I enjoy your videos and effort with the website, i feel you are giving yourself a bit too much credit for pushing buttons by overly generalizing "skill".  Let's try to make some comparisons between a football quarterback and a wow player.

A quarterback can improve strength and speed through dedicated weight training.
A wow player can improve a character's base capabilities by farming the best enchants, gems, and gear.

A quarterback can greatly improve strength and speed through the use of steriods.
A wow player can go above and beyond and collect heroic gear.

A quarterback can improve on preparation by studying and planning the plays and audibles vs certain defenses.
A wow player can improve preparation by developing strategies and forumulas for beating certain compositions/opponents.  He/she can also familiarize themselves with crucial abilities and cooldowns of all classes.

A quarterback develops "skills", passing accuracy, a quick release, and footwork.
A wow player can optimize keybinds, macros, and reflexes.

Your comparison makes no sense in this context, because none of those comparisons are related to the actual "skill" which is being explained in topic, you don't make a valid point in the end neither. Term "skill" is a way to measure how well something is done. Just like a quarterback requires certain skills to execute a play, a wow player needs certain skills as well to be successful in pvp which are explained in the topic. Using steroids to build up a stronger body, farming heroic gear or playing a FOTM comp are just means to stack the odds in your favor, which makes "skill" become a less effective factor in determining the outcome. I can't think of any other game except chess where opponents are playing against each other in completely equal environment and outcome is only determined by being more skilled than your opponent.

What some here on these forums say about some comps taking zero skill (triple dps for example) are of course not right, but the truth is, certain comps have better odds to beat others (taking less skill to be successful), and they would always unless there was certain amount of skill involved. A fully epic geared RMP has better odds beating RMP without full epic gear, but there is still no guarantee that they will. This is because both teams have individuals with different level of skill. Like vanguards said in topic, another healer can be better at juking interrupts so he doesn't get school locked. This is an example of how a players can complete equally in wow arena environment, because their gear doesn't effect at how well they can juke interrupts and neither does their class or comp or pc. And even if two players are both equally skilled at one certain thing, they might not be on another, like predicting opponents moves for example.

A good comparison between American Football and wow arena would be that in American Football, players are competing in more equal environment than in wow arena, meaning skill becomes a bigger factor in determining the outcome of a football game than a single arena match.

Btw nice read.

#30 Vanguards

Vanguards
  • Administrators
  • Curse Premium
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Korgath
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Retribution 1/0/0/2/0/2
  • 2v2: 2196
  • 3v3: 2772
  • 5v5: 384

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:00 AM

The EQ I used in this case was emotional quotient. Basically a person's ability to control their emotions.
http://twitch.tv/VanguardsTV- Stream (Follow to know when I'm live!)
http://twitter.com/VanguardsTV- Twitter
http://facebook.com/Samk920 - Facebook

http://youtube.com/SamK920 - YouTube Videos

#31 ROKMODE

ROKMODE

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:40 AM

Most of the skill in wow comes from teamwork. A lot of you guys have a fucked up mentality about skill. A game can be incredibly unbalanced and still take a significant amount of skill. The problem with wow arena is that it's a matchup based game. Certain teams shit on others unless said team makes a lot of mistakes. It's completely matchup based beyond a certain point. Now this wouldn't be a problem if it was like a normal game where you could change your character (class) depending on the situation to counterpick their counterpick except wow is an mmo, so the only feasible way to do that is to spend numerous hours learning/leveling/gearing a new character, and by that point a new patch might come out that will nerf the class you spent years leveling.

Edited by ROKMODE, 02 August 2012 - 03:43 AM.

Expect bias in posts because
Wotlk is the best thing since sliced bread

#32 Ctuhlu

Ctuhlu
  • Junkies
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Restoration

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:36 AM

Of course WoW takes skill to a certain extent. That being said there are still tons of ways that unskilled players can be "successful", such as:

1. PVE gear
2. OP comp
3. Networking / knowing the right people. For instance, any Moonkin player with a couple of brain cells can succeed if he is partnered with a skilled shaman or warlock. There are a lot of specs / classes like this. Resto shaman with a skilled lock and rogue, for example. And so on.

Here's the thing though.yo If you can point to a single WoW player who is highly skilled, then the game is a "skilled" game, even if 99.5% of the playerbase is awful.

Fourreur said:

we have to switch to them making the decision to pop reck or not to pop reck

#33 Seu

Seu
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Discipline

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:25 AM

I think people underestimate the skill it takes to play wow arena at a top level - and its especially evident when you look at other games.

If you are going to talk about the most difficult competitive game to be good at right now you are generally gonna talk about sc2 (rip broodwar), and I thought it was pretty impressive early on how well WoW players competed with players who came from rts backgrounds. There are quite a few top WoW players who have been in/are in grandmasters right now and I feel like that is a testament to how skilled the top end of our playerbase is (or was).

#34 Vanguards

Vanguards
  • Administrators
  • Curse Premium
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Korgath
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Retribution 1/0/0/2/0/2
  • 2v2: 2196
  • 3v3: 2772
  • 5v5: 384

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:59 PM

View PostSeu, on 02 August 2012 - 05:25 AM, said:

I think people underestimate the skill it takes to play wow arena at a top level - and its especially evident when you look at other games.

If you are going to talk about the most difficult competitive game to be good at right now you are generally gonna talk about sc2 (rip broodwar), and I thought it was pretty impressive early on how well WoW players competed with players who came from rts backgrounds. There are quite a few top WoW players who have been in/are in grandmasters right now and I feel like that is a testament to how skilled the top end of our playerbase is (or was).

Wasn't Nadagast in the MLG for SC2?
http://twitch.tv/VanguardsTV- Stream (Follow to know when I'm live!)
http://twitter.com/VanguardsTV- Twitter
http://facebook.com/Samk920 - Facebook

http://youtube.com/SamK920 - YouTube Videos

• Members
  • Taurenclass_name
  • EU-Spinebreaker
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents:

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:28 PM

I can only smile when I see dobule melee training one caster :)

#36 graceoconnor59

graceoconnor59
  • Members

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:28 PM

Can you explain again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<