• Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

You know what really pisses me off about most video games these days?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 AwesoMegAmazing

AwesoMegAmazing
  • Members
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:48 PM

The difficulty. Or should I say, the LACK of difficulty. They just aren't the challenge they used to be.

Let me give an example. The Metroid Series. Look at Super Metroid. The game has such an ominous feel. You're alone. You're never told where to go. My first playthrough it was very challenging, and sometimes frustrating, but much more satisfying. Then there's Metroid Fusion. The game tells you EXACTLY where to go at every step. Where's the challenge?

Too many games are like this these days and I'm really getting sick of it. Everyone has the internet, and if they're feeling stumped or frustrated, they can just go to gamefaqs or whatever. Why do we need to have our hands held?

I feel like the game is playing itself for me and I'm not even allowed to try and figure anything out for myself.

Also, linear games are shit. The ones that are so simple that you only have one option at any given time. Example: Final Fantasy XIII. Shit game.

I hear Xenoblade Chronicles is one of the few games of this generation that breaks this mold. I picked it up and can't wait to play it.

View PostDuckers, on 09 February 2011 - 04:05 PM, said:

I eat McDonalds every day

View PostDuckers, on 12 June 2012 - 07:44 AM, said:

Can't ever really go wrong with McDonalds.

View PostDuckers, on 08 August 2012 - 12:25 AM, said:

Get that girl a Happy Meal and she will never leave you.

#2 Thanatos

Thanatos
  • Members
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Khaz'goroth
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Restoration

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:47 PM

That's sorta why Demonsouls/Dark souls is so well received. After beating the game, you'll be several months without it and you'll already feel nostalgic about it. Interesting enough there's that Sin and punishment game for the Wii that offers a pretty DAMN good challenge *I didn't even bother even getting half way on the game*.

Monster hunter in general is a good game with a balance between being somewhat challenging and rewarding.
ಠ_ಠ

Posted Image

#3 Buglamp

Buglamp
  • Members

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:55 PM

Agree, but I wish they'd figure out a better system for upping difficulty than just increasing NPC damage and health to absurd levels relative to the player. Most of the "insanity" "nightmare" "master" etc. etc. difficulties tend to use this stupid method.

Also I wish games would have more interactivity with environments and NPCs, with less voice acting and cutscene bullshit. I want a game not a fucking B movie.

And...if you make a sandbox game, don't fill it with 75% practically empty space that we just have to use some shitty transportation system to travel through on our way to the places you actually put some effort into detailing.

#4 treeqt

treeqt
  • Members

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:41 PM

xD skyrim xD
[04:20:00] Dan: Just bang her
[20:05:48] ALEXIS JAGGER: I'd like to think
[20:05:51] ALEXIS JAGGER: I'm a modest person

#5 AwesoMegAmazing

AwesoMegAmazing
  • Members
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:10 PM

View PostBuglamp, on 25 July 2012 - 09:55 PM, said:

Agree, but I wish they'd figure out a better system for upping difficulty than just increasing NPC damage and health to absurd levels relative to the player. Most of the "insanity" "nightmare" "master" etc. etc. difficulties tend to use this stupid method.

Also I wish games would have more interactivity with environments and NPCs, with less voice acting and cutscene bullshit. I want a game not a fucking B movie.

And...if you make a sandbox game, don't fill it with 75% practically empty space that we just have to use some shitty transportation system to travel through on our way to the places you actually put some effort into detailing.

Yeah, pretty much all of that.

#6 AwesoMegAmazing

AwesoMegAmazing
  • Members
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:11 PM

View PostThanatos, on 25 July 2012 - 09:47 PM, said:

That's sorta why Demonsouls/Dark souls is so well received.

Dark Souls is on my list of games to play :D

#7 Ctuhlu

Ctuhlu
  • Junkies
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:23 PM

I agree with the OP. I wish games would have more skill mechanics, so that beating the game is actually an accomplishment -- not something that everyone who ever plays the game easily achieves. But the Blizzard method of increasing difficulty (making you require better gear in order to be able to take hits or do enough damage) is retarded.

The thing is, video games is a gigantic MAINSTREAM industry now. It's not about the sense of accomplishment or the challenge. It's about selling copies and opening to door for sequels that can sell more copies. The majority of video gamers don't want a challenge. They want Mass Effect 3 where you mash spacebar and hide behind cover every single time your health goes red, popping out to shoot whenever you've recovered -- as if that makes a game challenging.

Fourreur said:

we have to switch to them making the decision to pop reck or not to pop reck

#8 zakray

zakray
  • Members

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:23 PM

wow what a joke got easyer every update and expanion no skill needed

#9 kragathore

kragathore
  • Members
  • LocationNC

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:54 PM

length bothers me more than difficulty
a 12-14 hour playthrough is not worth 60 dollars regardless of the bullshit "find 100 whatevers" achievements
Posted Image

"I'm not a Goddamn French Canadian"

#10 nstomper

nstomper
  • Junkies
  • Trollclass_name
  • US-Blackrock
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Fire
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:58 AM

View Postkragathore, on 29 July 2012 - 07:54 PM, said:

a 12-14 hour playthrough is not worth 60 dollars regardless of the bullshit "find 100 whatevers" achievements

EXACTLY.  And a lot of games are LESS than 12-14.

#11 AwesoMegAmazing

AwesoMegAmazing
  • Members
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:32 PM

View Postkragathore, on 29 July 2012 - 07:54 PM, said:

Started Xenoblade Chronicles and just realized it's a 100+ hour game... There's tons of quests and crap to do in it. I'm not sure how much of a completionist I'm gonna be with this game, but so far I like everything about it except the graphics, which are pretty bad even for a Wii game. Fortunately I'm not the type to consider graphics all that important.

#12 NiNLeX

NiNLeX
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Ravencrest
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Affliction 0/1/2/0/0/0

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:15 PM

While I do agree that games have become easier to beat overall and there is often also a lack of content in most of them, the people who complain about this often ignore "the hidden fact" that when one constantly plays games, one will get better at them and unless you introduce a completely new type of game that people have no experience on, it shouldn't be too challenging to beat. For example I don't have any real trouble beating any fps or rts games on PC, but on xbox360 I had trouble beating my first gears of war, because aiming wasn't so easy when I started playing it.

TL;DR If you beated any type of a game, beating another same type of a game won't be as hard as beating the first one was. Basic logic.

#13 treeqt

treeqt
  • Members

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:30 PM

did you just tl;dr a 2 sentence post?
[04:20:00] Dan: Just bang her
[20:05:48] ALEXIS JAGGER: I'd like to think
[20:05:51] ALEXIS JAGGER: I'm a modest person

#14 Laccehz

Laccehz
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Kazzak
  • Misery
  • Talents: Discipline
  • RBG: 2296

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:10 PM

OP: You are right, but it's been like that for a while.
Because games are made solely with maximizing profit in mind, and nothing else, but I don't wanna get into that right now...

I've recently played Legend of Grimrock, and I can recommend it.
It's an indie game, oldschool style dungeon crawler, tile-based.
I'm 10+ hours in and had a great time so far. The puzzles can be quite difficult and take a while to figure out what you're supposed to do, but once you do, it's damn satisfying.
Reminds me a lot of Stonekeep(I believe most here are too young to have played this), had nostalgic flashbacks during gameplay. :)

http://www.metacriti...end-of-grimrock

#15 allyprophet

allyprophet
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Protection
  • RBG: 1864
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:01 PM

I have to agree. This is why I play things on either Very Hard or Hard, the first time through.  I hate everything being so damn easy on normal and well, easy.  And one thing that pisses me off is I love watching people stream my favorite games, and they ALWAYS play on normal or easy.  Seriously? Where's the damn challenge?  Once I find out it's on a low difficulty I just leave.  I can't stand it.
http://www.twitch.tv/ericcris10sen
http://www.youtube.c...r/EricCris10sen

Don't say anything on the net that you wouldn't say in real life up close and personal

#16 Canas!

Canas!
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Hellscream
  • Raserei / Frenzy
  • Talents: Holy

Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:35 PM

View Postallyprophet, on 12 August 2012 - 03:01 PM, said:

I have to agree. This is why I play things on either Very Hard or Hard, the first time through.  I hate everything being so damn easy on normal and well, easy.  And one thing that pisses me off is I love watching people stream my favorite games, and they ALWAYS play on normal or easy.  Seriously? Where's the damn challenge?  Once I find out it's on a low difficulty I just leave.  I can't stand it.

HOW DARE PEOPLE PLAY THE GAME FOR THE STORY AND EXPERIENCE RATHER THAN THE CHALLENGE, PISSES ME OFF SO MUCH I JUST WANT TO PUNCH SOMEONE

On topic though I sometimes play games on normal, sometimes hard, sometimes very hard, etc., depends on what I want at the time. It's not exactly recent, but I've been playing through super meat boy recently, and it's pretty hard at some parts.

kenny said:

3.2 Warriors are worst class in the game for 3v3.

#17 Buglamp

Buglamp
  • Members

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:47 PM

View PostCanas!, on 12 August 2012 - 05:35 PM, said:

HOW DARE PEOPLE PLAY THE GAME FOR THE STORY AND EXPERIENCE RATHER THAN THE CHALLENGE, PISSES ME OFF SO MUCH I JUST WANT TO PUNCH SOMEONE

On topic though I sometimes play games on normal, sometimes hard, sometimes very hard, etc., depends on what I want at the time. It's not exactly recent, but I've been playing through super meat boy recently, and it's pretty hard at some parts.

If you want a story read a book nerd.

But seriously, most games already have an option for people who don't want hard combat. I think the problem is, for those who want combat to be challenging/engaging, they can't just half ass a "uber difficulty setting" with high damage to appease us like they can for people who want it easy. If your AI is shit it's just going to end up being lame. It's better to design a challenging combat system to start with than to try to tack something like that on.

#18 allyprophet

allyprophet
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Protection
  • RBG: 1864
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:18 AM

How fun is it when you can run into an open field full of enemies and get shot probably 30 times and still have time and health to sit there and shoot each person or creature or whatever the game it, and kill them all with no difficulty at all.  Doesn't make sense.  You can still enjoy the experience on hard even though you have to put in a little more effort to deal with the enemy.
http://www.twitch.tv/ericcris10sen
http://www.youtube.c...r/EricCris10sen

Don't say anything on the net that you wouldn't say in real life up close and personal

#19 Thanatos

Thanatos
  • Members
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Khaz'goroth
  • Bloodlust

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:40 AM

To me the difficulty and struggle is part of the story and experience. The first castlevania wouldn't have the same atmosphere if every god damn thing wasn't threatening as fuck.
ಠ_ಠ

Posted Image

#20 Duckers

Duckers
  • Moderators
  • Curse Premium
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Cho'gall
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Affliction
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:26 AM

View Postallyprophet, on 13 August 2012 - 06:18 AM, said:

How fun is it when you can run into an open field full of enemies and get shot probably 30 times and still have time and health to sit there and shoot each person or creature or whatever the game it, and kill them all with no difficulty at all.  Doesn't make sense.  You can still enjoy the experience on hard even though you have to put in a little more effort to deal with the enemy.
Some might ask how is it fun when you have to attempt a level probably 30 times in order to get past it? Not everyone enjoys things being difficult, nor do they play games for a challenge. I know I've straight up stopped playing some games cause I couldn't be bothered trying to kill a boss more than a few times or whatever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<