#1 bIlliAn

bIlliAn
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Discipline

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:15 PM

Would like to share something I've come across, which only has 25k likes on Facebook and I'm hoping the website gets a lot more publicity.

The website is www.coursera.org, it offers Ivy League classes, for free. That's right, not a penny, you sign up (Which only requires a name, an email, and a password), take classes, when you complete a class, if you got 90% or more on all of your quizzes, they mail you a letter of competition signed by the professor. All of the professors teaching on the website have resumes and experience that blow me out of the water, I don't even know why they're doing this but I hope it goes insanely viral so more classes can be offered. The class completion does not give you any college credit, but can be written on a resume and looks extremely good to jobs if you're taking time out of your life to take classes in the field you enjoy (For me, it's anything related to medicine).

Enjoy, hopefully they're offering something you have interest in, website is still in beta. Not being paid or anything by them, just found this shit about a week ago.

Life is Good
Facebook | Bodyspace

#2 treeqt

treeqt
  • Members

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:22 PM

i'll test
[04:20:00] Dan: Just bang her
[20:05:48] ALEXIS JAGGER: I'd like to think
[20:05:51] ALEXIS JAGGER: I'm a modest person

#3 thomason7

thomason7
  • Members

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:15 AM

It's useless for your resume.
Comparable to the Udacity courses that are extremely popular right now for the Computer Science field. While it's great for learning/etc., it's like putting that you are a gladiator on your resume.

#4 downedlolidiot

downedlolidiot
  • Members

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:26 AM

would you hire a greyname?

#5 Breadstick

Breadstick
  • Moderators
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Arena Tournament 1
  • Coliseum 1
  • Talents: Affliction

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:56 AM

i wouldn't
Posted Image

#6 Pharaun

Pharaun
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:21 AM

View PostbIlliAn, on 30 June 2012 - 11:15 PM, said:

Would like to share something I've come across, which only has 25k likes on Facebook and I'm hoping the website gets a lot more publicity.

The website is www.coursera.org, it offers Ivy League classes, for free. That's right, not a penny, you sign up (Which only requires a name, an email, and a password), take classes, when you complete a class, if you got 90% or more on all of your quizzes, they mail you a letter of competition signed by the professor. All of the professors teaching on the website have resumes and experience that blow me out of the water, I don't even know why they're doing this but I hope it goes insanely viral so more classes can be offered. The class completion does not give you any college credit, but can be written on a resume and looks extremely good to jobs if you're taking time out of your life to take classes in the field you enjoy (For me, it's anything related to medicine).

Enjoy, hopefully they're offering something you have interest in, website is still in beta. Not being paid or anything by them, just found this shit about a week ago.

Also:

Khan academy: http://www.khanacademy.org/
Open courseware from MIT: http://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm

If you're tech oriented, it's a good complement to the Berkeley/Stanford stuff linked from corsera

Woulda killed for this shit while I was in highschool :\
"Who, after all, is today speaking of the destruction of the Armenians?"

-Adolf Hitler, 1939

#7 Pirated

Pirated
  • Members
  • Trollclass_name
  • US-Burning Blade
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Enhancement

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:43 AM

that actually looks fairly cool, though I doubt it would be a good thing to put on a resume

I'm going to try the cryptography course
"i have literally never, to my recollection, overestimated myself"
-Buddhist

#8 Buglamp

Buglamp
  • Members

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:59 AM

View PostPharaun, on 01 July 2012 - 04:21 AM, said:

Woulda killed for this shit while I was in highschool :\

Interesting...
Ghost of the white faced clown

#9 Dunc

Dunc
  • Junkies
  • Goblinclass_name
  • EU-Agamaggan
  • Blackout
  • LocationEngland

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:05 AM

This is actually amazing
that's all we'll have when the world is through

#10 Shrouds

Shrouds
  • Junkies

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:31 AM

The college crisis is just like the bank house loan one that crashed in 2008. I think moving it online would be the solution, but how are these people going to make money? Books can only cover so many costs and advertising may help but I feel like they have a plan (or if not them someone else to make online courses free but gain the profit and monopolize in another way.)

#11 treeqt

treeqt
  • Members

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:58 AM

mit open courseware is actually amazing, i've been using it for a year or so now.
[04:20:00] Dan: Just bang her
[20:05:48] ALEXIS JAGGER: I'd like to think
[20:05:51] ALEXIS JAGGER: I'm a modest person

#12 Buglamp

Buglamp
  • Members

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:14 PM

All you really need though is
Spoiler

#13 Buglamp

Buglamp
  • Members

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:15 PM

I'm sorry that was awful

#14 bIlliAn

bIlliAn
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:26 PM

View Postthomason7, on 01 July 2012 - 02:15 AM, said:

It's useless for your resume.
Comparable to the Udacity courses that are extremely popular right now for the Computer Science field. While it's great for learning/etc., it's like putting that you are a gladiator on your resume.

If you're good at video games you can add in that you're observant, react quickly and work well under pressure. Seems like a win to me.

View PostPirated, on 01 July 2012 - 04:43 AM, said:

that actually looks fairly cool, though I doubt it would be a good thing to put on a resume

I'm going to try the cryptography course

Straight from the FAQ:
Can I display these courses on my resume? Will it help my college/job/etc. applications?

"Yes, we encourage you to list the classes you've taken with us on your resumes / transcripts, as appropriate. Many of our classes are designed to help you acquire particular skills, which potential employers might find valuable. Moreover, the fact that you've set aside time to for personal education shows that you have a positive attitude towards learning, which is always a plus."

Edited by bIlliAn, 01 July 2012 - 12:39 PM.

Life is Good
Facebook | Bodyspace

#15 thomason7

thomason7
  • Members

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:41 PM

View PostbIlliAn, on 01 July 2012 - 12:26 PM, said:

If you're good at video games you can add in that you're observant, react quickly and work well under pressure. Seems like a win to me.

Straight from the FAQ:
Can I display these courses on my resume? Will it help my college/job/etc. applications?

"Yes, we encourage you to list the classes you've taken with us on your resumes / transcripts, as appropriate. Many of our classes are designed to help you acquire particular skills, which potential employers might find valuable. Moreover, the fact that you've set aside time to for personal education shows that you have a positive attitude towards learning, which is always a plus."

It's not appropriate to list these courses in the real world.

If I listed that I am good at video games my resume would be thrown out.

#16 thomason7

thomason7
  • Members

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:44 PM

And I'm not trying to discredit the actual courses, as some of these programs are excellent.

#17 Pirated

Pirated
  • Members
  • Trollclass_name
  • US-Burning Blade
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Enhancement

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:27 PM

Straight from the FAQ:

I doubt many employers will take "credit from an online course" seriously
"i have literally never, to my recollection, overestimated myself"
-Buddhist

#18 Sykeasaurus

Sykeasaurus
  • Moderators
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Shadow

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:19 PM

Straight from the FAQ:

I don't think a person endorsement from themselves says much

bk said:

I used to beat off alot, and fail all my classes

Insight said:

I figured he's a phony but I was secretly hoping to get pounded by someone famous.

View PostTw1zle, on 07 August 2011 - 11:05 PM, said:

i wasnt aware that america was a country

i guess we learn things every day

#19 Kelustu

Kelustu
  • Members
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Rivendare
  • Emberstorm
  • Talents: Restoration

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:09 PM

Pretty much what the last two people said. You can list the knowledge you gained under your skills category on your resume, but listing the class itself is beyond stupid.
Posted Image

#20 Pharaun

Pharaun
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:37 PM

Most employers don't care about any courses you list on your resume, online or not.  A degree can help, but individual courses are pointless to stick on the resume.  The chance that things you learned in class are actually applicable to what you'd do on the job is near 0%.  Also unless the company you're interviewing at has god-like recruiters, they're not going to know whether or not X random class at Y random Uni is even a challenging class.

But this is all tangential the main point.  The main point is to just learn shit.
"Who, after all, is today speaking of the destruction of the Armenians?"

-Adolf Hitler, 1939

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<