Paladin

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Bonedozer

Bonedozer
  • Members

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:32 PM

Hello Gladiators,

The last time I did Arena's on my paladin was before the end of season 7 where I nearly joined your ranks. Now over a year later I have decided to come back and pvp again.

If there is anyone who can give me advice as to what is relevant and good to use while I continue to search for valid information. Most of the guides I've found are well over a year out of date. So if there's anyone who can throw anything out there to lend me a hand I'd appreciate it.

#2 melignent

melignent
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Kargath
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Protection 1/2/1/2/0/1
  • RBG: 1340

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:51 PM

What info do u need?

Good comps for hpallies are: phd, lsp, kittycleave, thug cleave. Best bet is phd.

Gearing spirit >  crit >.... Haste then mastery

Not sure what else to tell u but let me know

#3 Bonedozer

Bonedozer
  • Members

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:42 PM

Great! Thank you for responding. The first thing I needed was indeed stat priorities and you have given me that and comps are now known to me. I've gathered a good bit about talents and glyphs now as well.

I what skill orders anything you can say really.

Like do we spam flash of light in pvp now? ETC. This game is like completely different to me now.

#4 Libyanator

Libyanator
  • Barasi
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • EU-Kor'gall
  • Cruelty / Crueldad
  • Talents: Retribution 2/0/0/2/2/0
  • RBG: 2401

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:06 PM

Howdy and welcome back.
In order to really help you out here, you need to help me out by being a little more specific as to what kind of comp you think you will likely play (thus the kind of stats/glyphs/spec/style of play i can recommend for you)

Regards - Mo.

Edited by Libyanator, 27 June 2012 - 10:07 PM.

[3:54:02 AM] Obelodalix: When it's full on flop
[3:54:06 AM] Obelodalix: Mine just gets lost
[3:54:09 AM] Obelodalix: in a sea of balls
[3:54:11 AM] Obelodalix: cuz I'm danny hart

#5 Bonedozer

Bonedozer
  • Members

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:22 AM

Well, I'm not sure what I intend to run, but I will probably try to run PHD, which I'm hoping is pally hunter dk, but I have a feeling I'm wrong.

In regards to other things. I would like to know how much resil I would ideally want as well. That and which pieces from PvE that are optimal.

#6 melignent

melignent
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Kargath
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Protection 1/2/1/2/0/1
  • RBG: 1340

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:26 AM

PHD is pally/hunter/dk.  flash of light is ur main casted heal unless u get a holy shock proc then you attempt to get out a divine light for the most part. HS on cooldown for this too.. those are the only 3 healing spells you should use in PvP. you could use my armory for the spec since i que PHD as well.

#7 edthelad

edthelad
  • Members
  • Taurenclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Windwalker 0/1/0/1/0/.

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:01 AM

View Postmelignent, on 28 June 2012 - 04:26 AM, said:

PHD is pally/hunter/dk.  flash of light is ur main casted heal unless u get a holy shock proc then you attempt to get out a divine light for the most part. HS on cooldown for this too.. those are the only 3 healing spells you should use in PvP. you could use my armory for the spec since i que PHD as well.

yeah who cares about word of glory... and when was the last time you queued? 6 months ago?
Posted Image

#8 Bonedozer

Bonedozer
  • Members

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:58 AM

Furthermore, I play a blood elf, so which PVP Medallion would be the most ideal? The spirit one or the straight up resil one?

#9 Libyanator

Libyanator
  • Barasi
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • EU-Kor'gall
  • Cruelty / Crueldad

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:01 PM

I need to have a look at the type of gear your paladin has right now, so throw us an armory link.

#10 Bonedozer

Bonedozer
  • Members

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:53 PM

http://us.battle.net...sdozer/advanced

I've gotten more pieces since then though, it hasn't fully updated.

#11 Libyanator

Libyanator
  • Barasi
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • EU-Kor'gall
  • Cruelty / Crueldad

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:00 PM

Right, so essentially you really have just started again since you don't even have full pvp gear yet.

i would advise you to just get the honor gear asap, and use your weekly cap points for items that aren't pvp (eg- neck/rings)
i would also suggest for you to stick to spirit rather than crit just yet since you will need the mana (spirit > crit  is the general reforge for you)
your trinkets are also very good (tsunami is still pretty sick to this day so i suggest you ditch fall of mortality and get yourself the resilience pvp trinket asap since you're not human )

Regarding your talents, i would suggest this tree
(Sent you the Talent tree link via PM since its bugged here for some reason)
the first tier holy talent - protector of the innocent - only needs 2/3 rather than 3/3, and in turn, you can plot the said point into the WoG crit tier 2 talent.
Furthermore, due to the recent judgement change, we no longer recieve the 2.5k mana on every judge, but rather we keep 30% mana regen as long as the Judgement of the Pure buff is active (1minute duration) which means you only need to judge buff up rather than spam it. This means that the improved judgement buff (Tier 1 Ret talent) is not needed.
Of course, one might argue that it is indeed necessary to get the extra judgement range talent to be able to get into combat as soon as possible against rogue teams, but what most paladins nowadays don't capitalize on is our Beacon of Light ability is 60yd, which means as soon as your Hunter / Dk gets into combat (Pets Galore) you can buff either one as SOON as they get into combat while keeping far back.

Also, i would probably use Divine Plea glyph at this stage of your gear instead of hoj as you may need the extra mana since your gear is frankly nowhere near the average paladin per say.

Regarding the style of play, obviously it's dependant on what comps you face, but the general idea is to maintain a very good position near a pillar to avoid any incoming CC, while keeping support for your 2 dps, supplying freedom when needed, and generally being able to anticipate harmful spells (this will come with experience).

When it comes to throwing out heals, Flash, shock and wog is your staple heals (You really never have to cast a raw Divine Light heal on its own, but rather a proc-Divine light heal after you obtain a critical Shock heal, you can use your proc for that, but since you can use it for instant Flash, you will probably  use it in that way, especially if you need to change position)
You also need to keep in mind that, once your partners fall at/below 35% HP, your Word of Glory heal has a very high change to crit (75%ish ) which is obviously a very high crit chance at that point, so capitalize even on 2 Holy Power Wogs if necessary.
Again, it comes with experience and as you dulge into playing often, you'll pick these things up rather quickly.

Ps - i highly recommend you download "Spell Alerter" addon, configure it how you please and i suggest you start off right away with adding sounds to certain spells, give it a week and you'll be able to know which sound will imply what spell etc.

With that said, a few other basic tips would be to start binding your party member frames if you haven't already done so, as well as a dispel bind for each one asap, and get used to them.
Mouse wheel is probably the best kind of dispel bind (obviously binding is regarded as personal preference, but i honestly believe mouse wheel for dispel is somewhat more efficient)

Unfortunately, holy paladins in cataclysm aren't regarded as one of the top healers preference. as you will come to find, and its been a very frustrating road this expansion, hopefully MoP may have a positive change in it for us :)

Edited by Libyanator, 29 June 2012 - 01:18 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Paladin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<