• Curse Sites
Help

Has WoW had a negative or positive influence on your life?

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#21 Haee

Haee
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Black Dragonflight
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Subtlety
  • RBG: 1150

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:29 AM

Its weird when people say "wow ruined my social skills" or something considering the fact that it's social aspects is probably genuinely one of the more appealing aspects about the game, whether you consider that good or bad. In the case of actually helping the development of another language (it's more common than you think), i can only see that as a positive gain.

Its hard to picture yourself doing something else when you look back at how you spent your time and maybe its harder to see what impact it would have had if you did something differently.

Edited by Haee, 28 May 2012 - 07:30 AM.

#22 quikkz

quikkz
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Lightning's Blade
  • Vindication
  • Talents: ./././././.
  • RBG: 2459

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:36 AM

negative, had tons of fun but overall could have used my time much more productively

passed up on doing things/ignored friends far too many times over the span of my wow playing

only positive to come out of it was near end of wotlk i realized i was in not awesome shape and it drove me to the pursuit of aesthetics
Posted Image

#23 Raak

Raak
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • EU-Ravencrest
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Restoration 0/2/0/1/0/0
  • 2v2: 1693
  • 3v3: 2124

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:59 AM

View PostHaee, on 28 May 2012 - 07:29 AM, said:

Its weird when people say "wow ruined my social skills" or something considering the fact that it's social aspects is probably genuinely one of the more appealing aspects about the game

You can be socially very active ingame while being complete reject outside of it. Typing shit on your keyboard doesn't improve your social skills, just look at some of the tournament heroes for example.

On topic I think WoW was positive experience seeing how it was a good game on it's prime. It's pretty disturbing how people talk about it here in a fashion that kinda reminds me of some sort of unhealthy addiction or a drug instead of a game. In that case the problem is not the product but your own inability to take it in moderation.
Posted Image

#24 Thaya

Thaya
  • Moderators
  • LocationRussia

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:09 AM

View PostHaee, on 28 May 2012 - 07:29 AM, said:

Its weird when people say "wow ruined my social skills" or something considering the fact that it's social aspects is probably genuinely one of the more appealing aspects about the game, whether you consider that good or bad. In the case of actually helping the development of another language (it's more common than you think), i can only see that as a positive gain.

Its hard to picture yourself doing something else when you look back at how you spent your time and maybe its harder to see what impact it would have had if you did something differently.
This is a misconception.

You don't need any "social skill" when you can choose what to show and what not to show, when you can choose your words before saying them, etcetera. This applies to any online communication, obviously.

Just about any activity that involves other people irl is more social than WoW.
Default UI Scripts - Compilation & how-to

#25 Angelsrdead

Angelsrdead
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • EU-Drak'thul
  • Reckoning / Abrechnung
  • Talents: Holy

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:09 AM

Positive - becoming more fluent in the english, found some new friends
Negative - lost gf because of WoW, lost some of irl friends, wasted alot of time that could be invested into better things

From my pov WoW influenced me negatively. Mostly because i spent like 12 hrs playing the game everyday and ignored everyone else (friends, gf, school). If i could contact my 16 yrs old self I would definitely told him to never ever get involved with this game and rather spent time doing some sport, playing guitar or having fun in clubs with girls.
Only positive is that the game increased my english potency and because of that i was able to find a relatively good job.
<random sad panda face image input>

#26 Thaya

Thaya
  • Moderators
  • LocationRussia

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:13 AM

View PostRaak, on 28 May 2012 - 07:59 AM, said:

It's pretty disturbing how people talk about it here in a fashion that kinda reminds me of some sort of unhealthy addiction or a drug instead of a game. In that case the problem is not the product but your own inability to take it in moderation.
That is also a misconception. There's plenty of things in this game (and in all games of the genre) that exist purely in attempt to get you addicted.

Offtopic, but it's sad to see some these things spread like the plague over to other genres, as well. Dailies, account/character progression, equipment and/or cosmetics (saved permanently not just within a single match), achievements, and so on.

Edited by Thaya, 28 May 2012 - 08:20 AM.

#27 Raak

Raak
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • EU-Ravencrest
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:25 AM

View PostThaya, on 28 May 2012 - 08:13 AM, said:

That is also a misconception. There's plenty of things in this game (and in all games of the genre) that exist purely in attempt to get you addicted.

Offtopic, but it's sad to see some these things spread like the plague over to other genres, as well. Dailies, account/character progression, equipment and/or cosmetics (saved permanently not just within a single match), achievements, and so on.

Never said that WoW can't be addictive especially if you're easily addicted type of person. But in the end I think everyone who got lost in this game to the point where it drastically affected their relationships and such have only themselves to blame. I could never see myself choosing a game over my girlfriend, that is just fucked up.
Posted Image

#28 cubas

cubas
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Subtlety
  • RBG: 1151
  • LocationPrague

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:27 AM

I had fun, met a few people im now rl friend with -> positive

Also my english was improved due to aj / wow which allows me to get a better job :>

Sure wow can fuckup your life, but only if you let it. You just have to control yourself and not spent 12h at pc while ignoring the real life. Anyway, your life would be ruined by something else so no worries ;)
:rogue: kidz

#29 Thaya

Thaya
  • Moderators
  • LocationRussia

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:43 AM

View PostRaak, on 28 May 2012 - 08:25 AM, said:

Never said that WoW can't be addictive especially if you're easily addicted type of person. But in the end I think everyone who got lost in this game to the point where it drastically affected their relationships and such have only themselves to blame. I could never see myself choosing a game over my girlfriend, that is just fucked up.
Yeah but you said "the problem isn't the product but you" which implies that WoW isn't the problem, while it is.

Realizing that the "drug" is half the evil is very important. In general, most addicts of whatever unhealthy thing already blame themselves and not the "drug", so they don't perceive the "drug" as a problem. That's a useless mindset. Shouldn't suggest that to people.

(Let's just stop this conversation here btw.)

#30 averagepriestz

averagepriestz
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • EU-Shattered Hand
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Holy

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:28 AM

One thing is for sure, I sure am glad as fuck I did not quit school to boost people to 2200 like Xandyn. L0L.

#31 Nez

Nez
  • Junkies
  • Goblinclass_name
  • EU-Sunstrider
  • Blackout
  • Talents: Beast Mastery 1/0/0/2/2/.

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:34 AM

I have no regrets.

#32 fresh_

fresh_
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Retribution 1/0/0/2/1/1
  • 2v2: 1859
  • 3v3: 2096
  • RBG: 825

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:06 PM

kane dennis taught me the ways of the aboriginal kangaroo tribe

#33 Sherpdawerp

Sherpdawerp
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Restoration

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:15 PM

View PostThaya, on 28 May 2012 - 08:43 AM, said:

Yeah but you said "the problem isn't the product but you" which implies that WoW isn't the problem, while it is.

Realizing that the "drug" is half the evil is very important. In general, most addicts of whatever unhealthy thing already blame themselves and not the "drug", so they don't perceive the "drug" as a problem. That's a useless mindset. Shouldn't suggest that to people.

(Let's just stop this conversation here btw.)

Woudln't blaming the drug and not yourself be very bad? I might be wrong but I believe a common excuse for addicts is that it's the fault of the drug and there isn't anything they can do about it

"The problem isn't the product but you" sounds reasonable to me..

#34 Raak

Raak
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • EU-Ravencrest
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:30 PM

View PostSherpdawerp, on 28 May 2012 - 12:15 PM, said:

Woudln't blaming the drug and not yourself be very bad? I might be wrong but I believe a common excuse for addicts is that it's the fault of the drug and there isn't anything they can do about it

"The problem isn't the product but you" sounds reasonable to me..

Actually in todays society you can always shift the blame on to something else than yourself. Be it extreme music and video games making you to steal your daddys deer hunting rifle and popping few at school, peer pressure from "wrong" friends making you tag some walls and shoplift or shitty parenting making kids behave badly at school. I know these examples are bit over the top but the same logic applies to numerous things.

So easy for fuck ups not having to take responsibility for their own shit these days.
Posted Image

#35 ßlackjack1296682189

ßlackjack1296682189
  • Junkies
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • EU-Mug'thol
  • Vengeance / Rache
  • Talents: Protection

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:57 PM

when i stopped playing wow with the fall of warriors i started playing my first shooter bf3 and a like 2 month later I was on top of global leaderboards, but once you are really good in this game it becomes frustrating because when I die it´s always due to bugs and the game not working properly, so i quit and wait for gw2.
I hope i can enjoy this like a casual again :(

If i would not have played wow it would be another game, so not really a negative thing.

#36 Korzul

Korzul
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • EU-Doomhammer
  • Blackout
  • Talents: Restoration 0/2/0/1/1/0
  • 2v2: 2315
  • 3v3: 2744
  • 5v5: 480
  • RBG: 1151

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:12 PM

It's a game at the end of the day, so if you prioritise "fun" over doing the important things in life you can't really blame WoW.
Likewise if you procrastinate and screw up your studies/gf/job because your playing WoW the chances are without it you'd still find/have found something else you enjoyed to waste your time doing instead.

Seriously, theres millions of enjoyable things in this world people over commit too. An online fantasty games quite timid compared to a lot of them and most of peoples issues with this game boil down to a lack of self control.

If your blaming games/tv/hobbies in general for your shortcomings then it's time to man up and take a long hard look at yourself.

Back on topic!
Enjoyed the time i spent on WoW, had a laugh, saved some money, probably saved my liver some abuse and get to vent/rage/laugh over something thats not important at all, sort of like going to a football match. Tis good stress relief!

Edited by Korzul, 28 May 2012 - 02:16 PM.

#37 Jontex

Jontex
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Elemental 0/1/0/1/0/0
  • 2v2: 1698
  • 3v3: 2620
  • RBG: 384
  • LocationSweden

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:41 PM

People said that they were playing 12 hours a day at the age of 16, don't you study?
Posted Image

#38 Xhanon

Xhanon
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Kazzak
  • Misery
  • Talents:
  • RBG: 2280
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:42 PM

View PostThaya, on 28 May 2012 - 08:13 AM, said:

achievements, and so on.
Ye thats why you just get them all =D

#39 Ryrie

Ryrie
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Lightning's Blade
  • Vindication
  • Talents:

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:46 PM

If anyone here thinks WoW as impacted their life in a positive way then you're delusional.

Nothing good comes from sitting on your ass hours upon hours each day playing an online game. Nothing. I don't care what anyone says or what kind of ridiculous stories you give me.

#40 Superkåre

Superkåre
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Kor'gall
  • Cruelty / Crueldad
  • Talents: Affliction

Posted 28 May 2012 - 03:02 PM

View PostRyrie, on 28 May 2012 - 02:46 PM, said:

If anyone here thinks WoW as impacted their life in a positive way then you're delusional.

Nothing good comes from sitting on your ass hours upon hours each day playing an online game. Nothing. I don't care what anyone says or what kind of ridiculous stories you give me.

you're totally right, bro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<