• Curse Sites
Help

Has WoW had a negative or positive influence on your life?

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#1 Ctuhlu

Ctuhlu
  • Junkies
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Restoration

Posted 27 May 2012 - 04:22 PM

Just curious. If you could go back and stop yourself from playing WoW, would you?

Personally, although I have some good memories of raiding with online friends, turning into a PVP nerd, making a gladiator push for the first time, etc, I would have to say that I still consider WoW to have been a negative influence on my life, especially those first two or so years that I played. Pretty much destroyed my RL social skills while at the same time sucking up so much time from my life that looking back it's just sad :(

The main benefit that I've gotten from WoW is mad fast typing skills, but other than that ...

Since becoming lolcasual a couple years ago and then quitting, WoW was mostly a neutral influence but overall I think playing this game to the extent that I did was a bit of a mistake.

What about you guys?

Fourreur said:

we have to switch to them making the decision to pop reck or not to pop reck

#2 Zaephyr

Zaephyr
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Unholy 0/0/2/2/0/2
  • RBG: 2416

Posted 27 May 2012 - 04:25 PM

Positive + negative,
it never really impacted my social life, still went out a lot, at university now don't really play WoW much at all, only like one day a week for a couple of hours to clear DS.

but even if i could walk away from the game having met one person that I thought it was worth knowing i'd think it was better than worse, and i've met a lot of people like that, so i'm happy i started playing.

also mad typing skills

Edited by Zaephyr, 27 May 2012 - 04:25 PM.

"Please use an appropriate signature; thanks! www.arenajunkies.com/forum-9/announcement-3-forum-rules-2272014

#3 Nermó

Nermó
  • Junkies
  • Taurenclass_name
  • EU-Kor'gall
  • Cruelty / Crueldad
  • Talents: Feral Combat
  • LocationSweden

Posted 27 May 2012 - 04:42 PM

negative, pretty much all of those things that you said Ctuhlu
Posted Image

#4 Poseyx

Poseyx
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Emerald Dream
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Arcane 0/0/0/2/0/2
  • LocationNY

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:21 PM

Negative, just keep callin idiots IRL fat ugly virgins
www.Twitch.tv/wushington - Multi Gladiator feral stream

Mrlindv - Youtube channel

#5 Paxxar

Paxxar
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-The Sha'tar
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Mistweaver 1/0/1/1/1/2
  • 2v2: 1490
  • 5v5: 384
  • RBG: 1694

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:22 PM

Positive, played since the first week back when I was 10, and over the years I've made friends over this game that I'll probably be keeping as life friends once I've quit, so in my experience, WoW's had a positive effect on my life.

Doesn't mean I don't have my moments where I despise this game though. :P
Posted Image

#6 Jontex

Jontex
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Elemental 0/1/0/1/0/0
  • 2v2: 1698
  • 3v3: 2620
  • RBG: 384
  • LocationSweden

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:09 PM

Not having english as my main language, I have WoW to thank for good grades in english I guess :D
Posted Image

#7 Starcookie

Starcookie
  • Premium Junkies
  • Curse Premium
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Naxxramas
  • Sturmangriff / Charge
  • Talents: Discipline

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:23 PM

A lot of negatives, but also some positives. I don't feel like going into details, but I know that if I didn't spend the time on WoW I'd waste it on something else.

Overall; I'd sadly say negative, just because of one or two key events.

#8 Saru93

Saru93
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Holy 1/1/0/1/1/1

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:02 PM

negative for social life

but I met a lot of nice people in the game and I had so much fun its unreal, so yeah the game has its positives and negatives

#9 jwel

jwel
  • Junkies

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:20 PM

View PostJaxzyo, on 27 May 2012 - 05:21 PM, said:

Negative, just keep callin idiots IRL fat ugly virgins

Posted Image
~

#10 [email protected]

[email protected]
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Retribution
  • RBG: 2326

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:49 PM

Positive thanks to my inverted personality, I've also become a huge cam whore due to wow.
Posted Image

#11 Mity

Mity
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: ./././././.
  • LocationOKC

Posted 27 May 2012 - 11:26 PM

saved me a lot of money
@shitixmikesays

#12 ApplejackxD

ApplejackxD
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Discipline
  • RBG: 2371

Posted 27 May 2012 - 11:38 PM

WoW has had mostly positive influence of my life, already the second day I started playing the game I met the girl I love and we met several times in real life since then even though we do not live in the same country, it also helped me make some good friends! My english has improved and I have had great fun with people from all over the world. I did not have much of a social life before I started playing WoW since I was spending most of my time playing games on steam so I would not say WoW has had a negative impact on my social life, in the school I go to alot of people play WoW and I am one of the better players, so that has helped me make some friends irl as well. I do not know what I would be if it wasn't for WoW.

The negative impact it may have had is that I have put on some weight, but with me being a lazy person overall that would probably have happened anyway since I would probably just have been out partying everyday of the week if it wasn't for the game. Also my grades in school are very bad now compared to a few years ago but since playing games (mainly WoW) is mostly what I do, I wont need a good job anyway, only enough to pay the rent.

I think I will keep playing WoW and hopefully make even more friends for as long as the game exists, I have had a few short breaks but I do not think I will have on again anytime soon. With MoP releasing I plan on playing even more than I currently do as well as getting into hardcore raiding. My parents have always respected me for playing the game and adjusted dinner times etc so that it would fit my times of playing.

I love this game and I will always do!
Posted Image

#13 averagepriestz

averagepriestz
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • EU-Shattered Hand
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Holy

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:09 AM

This game actually became worth more as I got older, while playing less of it. I think I started when I was around 16, when WoW was just released. While it was extremly fun back then, compared to how dull it became as of now, it took up way too much of my time. I would probably have found something else to play though, I am not one of those who think that if I did not play WoW, I would be lifting twice the amount I do now, but I surely would have gotten out a bit more. Problem is, back then I played with my brother and some online friends which was really fun, but it was not untill later when I turned 18-19 I started seeing the ones I played with since vanilla. Now most of us are 23-30 years old (some are married, and with kids even), and we meet up at a different place each time in Europe, and we never talk about WoW anymore.

Thing I am trying to say, is that the real life relationships I gained from playing the game in the early days, when I used too much time on it, is what I am benefiting from now, when I am not spending time on WoW. On the other hand, you had that kind of time when you were younger, but in general I wish I had used a bit less time overall on it, especially regarding my grades, since I had to wait another year before getting into university and getting the education I always wanted (even travelling to USA next semester to study for half a year!).

I always went out quite alot, I have always been very good when put in new situations. I made plenty of friends in high school, the military, from work and now from uni, and having alot of connections means alot in the real life. I however never talk about World of Warcraft when I go out, at uni, in public or even admitting I played it. I don't lie either, but I just avoid bringing it up in general. But I do ocasionally get reminded of it, just by using the nick Felic. Last new years eve, at a friends house, one of his friends msgs him to wish him a happy new year, and drunk as I am I start to reply and he asks who I am, I tell him "Felic" and he asks if I played a Paladin. He apperently played WoW several years ago and heard about me from Dreamhack.

So can't really put it as a negative experience or positive experience, there are things I would have done differently if I had the choice, just like with my life. But I would do it all again, for the previously mentioned experiences, but with a slightly more casual attitude to gaming in general and more attention to school.

My advice to younger gamers, is to remember that WoW is honestly just another game. If you can't go on a 2 week break without thinking about it, you need to start thinking about how to make that change. Kwendeswag, trust me, you want to be able to do more than just paying your rent. You need to think where you will be in 5 - 10 years. You want a job with meaning, something that you can take pride in and actually enjoy. You'll grow tired of any game or job, if it's doing the same over and over again for a longer period. I used to be able to go out 2 times each weekend, be it nerding it up with friends, or going out to a bar during the evening, but studying, paying rent and not being able to work that much means you have to think about your money. It is alot different from living at home. I remember always buying the cheap 6-packs, and thinking to myself, I will never do this again. Then for a brief period when I turned 18 and still lived at home, I started gaining an income (we get supported by the goverment when turning 18 in Denmark, if we still study and for up to 7 years extra) and never looked back. Now I'm buying the cheap 6-packs again because I have to save up for USA :(

Edited by averagepriestz, 28 May 2012 - 12:18 AM.

#14 Z4muZ

Z4muZ
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Lightning's Blade
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Subtlety 2/2/2/1/0/.
  • LocationIsrael

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:21 AM

Am I the only one who's playing a game?

I don't know if this is due to me being rather independent from a relatively young age or due to being an athlete in contrast to all the cyber badasses (it's not that I belittle players, I just find it funny how some of them treat others or posses a sense of superiority) who think they achieve anything worthwhile in a game, but I simply find this thread and how seriously some of the posters respond to it to be funny.

Yes, arenas are fun and there's nothing wrong with being competitive and/or playing a lot (as long as you obviously don't sacrifice anything irl...), but if you continue playing the game whilst feeling the game has an adverse affect over you... please go take a look at yourself :(
Posted Image

#15 Cutebaby

Cutebaby
  • Junkies
  • Goblinclass_name
  • EU-Daggerspine
  • Cataclysme / Cataclysm
  • Talents: Affliction

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:47 AM

View PostZ4muZ, on 28 May 2012 - 01:21 AM, said:

I don't know if this is due to me being rather independent from a relatively young age or due to being an athlete in contrast to all the cyber badasses (it's not that I belittle players, I just find it funny how some of them treat others or posses a sense of superiority) who think they achieve anything worthwhile in a game, but I simply find this thread and how seriously some of the posters respond to it to be funny.
I don't know what kind of athlete you are, but don't think that talking smack is something that's isolated to wow as it's apperant in nearly every sport at "high" levels.

Edited by Cutebaby, 28 May 2012 - 10:13 AM.

#16 Shells

Shells
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Assassination 2/2/0/1/2/.

Posted 28 May 2012 - 03:13 AM

+

oddly and wierdly enough i met my current GF on wow. she was a pve hero and i was trying to raid to get them OP pve trinkets in early WOTLK. ended up in her raid group and i carried her to 2200 in 2s on my skillknight (no offence to DKs but this was s6 frost strikespam)

weve been together for a few years, and she even relocated and now lives with me. pretty awesome, we still do casual bgs , arena and raids. but oly a few hours a week unlike back when we met on wow.

PS if your wodnering shes isnt a fat troll either ;) ... heres her fan page.

http://www.facebook....PCBikiniAthlete

#17 Nevershock

Nevershock
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:08 AM

View PostStarcookie, on 27 May 2012 - 07:23 PM, said:

A lot of negatives, but also some positives. I don't feel like going into details, but I know that if I didn't spend the time on WoW I'd waste it on something else.

Overall; I'd sadly say negative, just because of one or two key events.

Pretty much this.

#18 Shaggyx

Shaggyx
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Subtlety
  • RBG: 2202

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:30 AM

View PostShells, on 28 May 2012 - 03:13 AM, said:

+

oddly and wierdly enough i met my current GF on wow. she was a pve hero and i was trying to raid to get them OP pve trinkets in early WOTLK. ended up in her raid group and i carried her to 2200 in 2s on my skillknight (no offence to DKs but this was s6 frost strikespam)

weve been together for a few years, and she even relocated and now lives with me. pretty awesome, we still do casual bgs , arena and raids. but oly a few hours a week unlike back when we met on wow.

PS if your wodnering shes isnt a fat troll either ;) ... heres her fan page.

http://www.facebook....PCBikiniAthlete

Not trying to be rude but she looks like

I can't say for sure whether or not WoW has been positive or negative, just because I don't know where I would be now if I didn't play it. One small event could change your life. I will say I learned some stuff, and I had a lot of fun. In all honestly though, if I could do it over, I would've never played the game. Some people are better at managing time, I didn't do as well with school because of it, and that is probably my biggest problem with it. I'm still happy with where I am with academia, just wish it could have went better.

With all that said, once I see where my life is in 2 years, when I'm out of Uni. I can give you a real answer.

#19 Ayrasaurus

Ayrasaurus
  • Junkies
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Arms 1/1/2/1/1/0
  • RBG: 2379
  • LocationYorkshire mates

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:17 AM

Negative for sure. When i was 16-18 my "wow" addiction ruined my football career i went from training 5 times a week full time always coming to training on time waking up at 5am in the morning to go running to get ahead to playing wow making excuses for not coming and in the end being dropped/not paid lost motivation and sacked from multiple clubs or left spending time on the sub bench which at the age of 16 makes you not want to even play.
Though playing wow never messed with my social life it just fucked over the work side of my life.

But since then stuffs picked up and wow has had alot of positive effects on me, now that i'm 20 coming on 21 and i play games less obsessive and can balance social life/work/playing games casual. Spose it was just being immature.

But ye i think most people if asked could they rewind the clock and not start most would never even pick the game up.

Edited by Ayraswag, 28 May 2012 - 06:40 AM.

Posted Image

emotional

Posted Image

Thaya Ayra Omegatfwnogfboys2k15

#20 Thaya

Thaya
  • Moderators
  • LocationRussia

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:16 AM

I only regret playing the last 2 years. But that's more due to my laziness - I know what I want to do and where I want to be, but I'm not doing any steps. It's easier to just sit here within comfort zone.

As for the first 4 years, I don't know. I've no idea what I would be doing with my time if not playing WoW. And I doubt it would be anything useful. The game was everything for me at that time period. It's hard to say if it was negative or positive when I literally had no other interest to anything at all other than WoW.

The only real positive I can think of is spoken English practice.
Default UI Scripts - Compilation & how-to

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<