• US-Blackrock
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Shadow 1/1/0/1/2/1
  • 2v2: 2066
  • 3v3: 2606
  • 5v5: 2474
  • RBG: 960

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:07 PM

I could not find a recent topic with these similar questions so I am posting my own. If such a thread exists, could someone guide me in the right direction? Thanks.

I'm a shadow priest currently running with a fire mage and holy paladin. The comp works really well against many common comps, such as MLS and RLS. However, what's presented the hardest challenge has been thug cleave. We faced one the other day and went 0-6. As a shadow priest, how would one deal with this comp? We generally lose because of smoke bomb and the immense amount of CC the team presents. We can not deal enough damage on the hunter while I am being trained, and I will usually be killed in a smoke bomb with a full kidney. Tips that the others on my team can do would help as well, but mostly how do I personally deal with them?

I am also having a similar problem, but to a lesser extent, with most melee cleaves. When they train me, my damage is very low, and other than dispersion and the occasionally 20k absorb, it is hard to do much to them, especially a warrior who can not be feared. Spamming DP on the move OOMs me incredibly, as I've tried it, and this would essentially force a dispersion from me for mana, which I can not do when I'm the target. The problem is not landing the kill on melee cleaves, this is still fairly easy with a mage, but how can I improve my gameplay and take less damage or deal more damage to melee cleaves while I'm being trained?

TL;DR: Thug Cleaves kill me easily, and melee cleaves are hard to damage while being trained. Any advice?

#2 ldmclaugh

ldmclaugh
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Hyjal
  • Whirlwind
  • Talents: Affliction 0/2/1/0/0/.

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:08 PM

First off, vs Thug Cleave, you need to make sure you (or your mage) are eating every hunter trap. Mass dispel is too unreliable with hunter's mark on your paladin/kidney shot cross cc on you. If the Thug Cleave is using a priest as their healer, your mage needs to deny the fear on your paladin as long as possible/land cc to counter pressure.

As what you can be doing - when your paladin eats unpreventable cc such as scattershot/silencing shot you need to be looking for an opportunity to LoS the hunter (ESPECIALLY during rapid fire. Your mage should also dragon's breath the hunter out of camouflage before he can land an aimed shot in the opener.
Your paladin should hand of protection one bomb and you should disperse the 2nd. Also, don't worry about pushing into the thug cleave's healer for fears - it's better to just fear rogue on cooldown with some sort of cc on healer (polymorph for example) so he cannot get dispelled.

Finally, your mage should be able to get enough cc out on the Thug Cleave's healer independently to get enough pressure to force their hunter defensive/score a kill.
As long as you take advantage of LoS (when you can) and disperse/hand of protection smoke bombs your paladin shouldnt have to trinket anything except blind. And you'll have bubble/aura mastery left over if you are in trouble/want to get insane pressure out when you have wings up and kidney shot is down.

vs Melee Cleaves, idk you shouldn't be having trouble with a paladin/fire mage - just need to take every opportunity when the melee are sitting in novas to get casts off/your mage should be able to cover every single nova with some sort of cc on enemy healer

Good luck.

Edited by ldmclaugh, 18 May 2012 - 09:11 PM.

#3 Zekrom

Zekrom
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Blackrock
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Shadow 1/1/0/1/2/1
  • 2v2: 2066
  • 3v3: 2606
  • 5v5: 2474
  • RBG: 960

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:05 PM

Thanks for the response. I agree we could improve with eating the traps for Thug Cleave.However, the BoP on the Smoke Bomb is something we've done, but it still ends up unsuccessful, because the hunter shoots it off, or the priest dispels it depending who is CC'd at the time being.  Do you suggest the pally and I be standing in close proximity the whole game? (Me for his traps and him for my heals/BOP in bomb).

And yeah the melee cleave thing isn't really a problem, we rarely lose to them, but I feel a bit useless when they're on me and I'm just kiting the whole day. I've improved my play on them since I started but I was wondering if there was an element I was missing that maybe some really good Spriests are doing.

#4 Canadianpimp_613638

Canadianpimp_613638
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Korgath
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Discipline 2/2/1/1/1/0
  • RBG: 1822

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:39 PM

Thug cleave can be a very scary match-up for anyone. You can't allow them to get too much momentum, and the biggest way to stop this is by eating "every" hunter trap. You or your mage should be standing near your paladin to eat traps at any time a scatter or monkey blind is up. If, for some reason, you both are too far away to eat the trap, you can use Leap of Faith to your advantage and grip your paladin toward you about half-way through the scatter since there's a short delay after shooting a trap and it actually going off. This can  catch a lot of hunters off-guard, but keep in mind that if you life-grip your healer too early, they'll continue to run back toward the place you gripped them from for the rest of the duration of the scatter shot and most likely still eat the trap. As Enferno said, MD is very unreliable against good teams who cover their traps + stun you at the same time or something.

As far as smoke bombs go, you should definitely be dispersing one of them and possibly be trying to save a trinket for the other one--Yeah, the paladin can come in and BoP you..but that also seems pretty unreliable with both a priest and hunter being able to dispel it off immediately. You should also be just trying to fear the rogue (maybe hunter too) and silence the priest at the same time to get MB's off and whatnot.

Trying to LoS the hunter as much as possible is good, but you also need to realize when they don't have a CC up or their momentum is fading so you can use this time to pop out and go offensive.

Hope this helps!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Shadow, Priest, Thug, Melee, Cleave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<