Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help

diziet trying to explain the complexities of sponsorship and intellectual theft

how fast will this get banned

  • Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#41 Allfinete

Allfinete
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Azralon
  • Shadowburn
  • Posts: 53
  • Talents: Elemental 0/1/0/1/0/0
  • 2v2: 1115
  • 3v3: 1864
  • 5v5: 1431
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:44 PM

I really don't get the drama.

#42 Deeklol

Deeklol
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Area 52
  • Retaliation
  • Posts: 561
  • Talents: Discipline

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:59 PM

Don just mad he wasnt invited
Hey, add me on LoL :)

IGN: Keklyz

#43 Vexxius

Vexxius
  • Premium Junkies
  • Curse Premium
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Posts: 2022
  • Talents: Arms 0/1/2/1/1/2
  • 2v2: 1692
  • 3v3: 2432
  • RBG: 383
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:19 PM

People can't overlook the fact that cross-realm wargames weren't available prior to a recent patch. Thus, hosting an online invitational tournament would've proved to be impossible prior to Dec. 2011 (to my knowledge, the release of the patch when this was implemented). NAO was definitely the first group to utilize this new capability, I'll give you that. It's not surprising that other "competitors" will begin to arise. In the real world, this is quite common (pretty obvious).

The point about my above statements: yes, NAO was first. But the cross-realm wargame system is relatively new (~5-6 months), so it's really not shocking that other organizations will look to employ their own use of the system as well.

I don't blame Curse for hosting their own tournament. Let's be honest, even if Curse makes a little money off of it, there's nothing to be surprised about. Money is often the leading source of inspiration/motivation for starting such events. There is a lot of work involved to make sure everything runs smoothly, so essentially there must be some sort of payout for it to "be worth it."

More on the bright side: I'd assume PvP-driven WoW fanatics would enjoy more online tournaments to be hosted. Due to the fact that WoW has been removed from MLG, it's nice that our community still tries to create similar events. The more the merrier!

#44 mackazar

mackazar
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Blackrock
  • Bloodlust
  • Posts: 557
  • Talents: Discipline 1/1/0/1/2/1
  • 2v2: 1888
  • 3v3: 2381
  • 5v5: 2409
  • RBG: 384

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:32 PM

So much shady shit behind the scenes people don't know about but I have to keep my mouth shut :)

#45 Celaurthor

Celaurthor
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Arthas
  • Ruin
  • Posts: 654
  • Talents: Mistweaver 1/0/2/0/0/1
  • 2v2: 1682
  • 3v3: 2047
  • 5v5: 672
  • RBG: 1149

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:56 PM

View PostVexxius, on 09 May 2012 - 06:19 PM, said:

People can't overlook the fact that cross-realm wargames weren't available prior to a recent patch. Thus, hosting an online invitational tournament would've proved to be impossible prior to Dec. 2011 (to my knowledge, the release of the patch when this was implemented). NAO was definitely the first group to utilize this new capability, I'll give you that. It's not surprising that other "competitors" will begin to arise. In the real world, this is quite common (pretty obvious).

The point about my above statements: yes, NAO was first. But the cross-realm wargame system is relatively new (~5-6 months), so it's really not shocking that other organizations will look to employ their own use of the system as well.

I don't blame Curse for hosting their own tournament. Let's be honest, even if Curse makes a little money off of it, there's nothing to be surprised about. Money is often the leading source of inspiration/motivation for starting such events. There is a lot of work involved to make sure everything runs smoothly, so essentially there must be some sort of payout for it to "be worth it."

More on the bright side: I'd assume PvP-driven WoW fanatics would enjoy more online tournaments to be hosted. Due to the fact that WoW has been removed from MLG, it's nice that our community still tries to create similar events. The more the merrier!
I think NAO's original approach at the whole thing was to require teams to be on kt for the tournament before they opened up cross-realm war games. In the end the this entire thread is a complete waste of time. Like others have said more tournaments can only be good for the community. Maybe if this picks up enough in MoP MLG will pick wow back up. Or even blizzard will step in and help sponsor tournaments like NAO by giving private servers or a special client for them to have spectator mode. Curse is a business why they dropped NAO is their business and they are free to do whatever they wish. Hopefully the next AJ tournament will be larger just like the first NAO was much smaller in participants than NAO3.

#46 Leonardo

Leonardo
  • Junkies
  • Posts: 161
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:02 PM

Don't really understand what Don's trying to achieve here. Welcome to the real world? I'm so confused as to why anyone would sacrifice their honor to prove a moot point...? Maybe Mackenzie knows something he would like us to know.
Posted Image

#47 exhausting

exhausting
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Eonar
  • Vindication
  • Posts: 20
  • Talents: Guardian 2/1/2/1/2/2

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:18 PM

In honor of Diziet's love for analogies, I'm going to make one:

You know how physicist are some of the most intelligent people on the planet? Regardless of their intelligence, they can only make predictions based on observations mixed with conjecture. Because they don't know everything for certain, most of physics remains a theory because it is unproven or unable to be proven without the facts. In this thread, everyone is being a physicist because of the intelligent discussion without trolling. For example,Tosan makes excellent points. However, there is a reason no one from NAO is not at all upset about Yaspresents, Prestige, or other tournaments. 99% of people here do not have the facts and therefore can not see the big picture.

Sorry for continuously being cryptic in my posts, but I am unhappy and need to vent without stepping on toes.

#48 Synkz

Synkz
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Blood Furnace
  • Retaliation
  • Posts: 2634
  • Talents: Destruction 0/2/0/0/2/.

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:42 PM

why can't we all be friends and help each other out

:)

#49 Psychic1

Psychic1
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • EU-The Maelstrom
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Posts: 194
  • Talents: Holy 2/0/1/2/2/0
  • RBG: 2164

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:02 PM

I do NOT get what all the fuss is about Don. Why do you have to always analyze what NAO does all the time? I don't give a rats ass if NAO earns money from their tournaments, on the contrary, i think they should.

Also, I don't see how you can accuse Curse for stealing the idea of an online tournament, or why you dont think its ok for them to start their own. It's like saying the new clothing store B that just opened stole the idea from clothing store A, makes no sense to me what so ever. If it gives them money, of course they are gonna do it. With your logic you'd run a terrible business.

#50 samcope14

samcope14
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Posts: 151
  • Talents: Subtlety 2/0/0/0/2/.
  • RBG: 1700

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:11 PM

View PostWorldtree, on 09 May 2012 - 09:45 AM, said:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Talbadar - Azael - Cdewz

Casters: Isaac "Azael" Cummings-Bentley.


" and now I spell lock the healer insta while talb randomly fears randomly. "

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

I <3 Team EG talk.

Edited by samcope14, 09 May 2012 - 09:13 PM.

#1

#51 Vioz

Vioz
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kargath
  • Vindication
  • Posts: 102
  • Talents: Frost 0/1/0/2/2/2
  • RBG: 2215

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:17 PM

I think this would be much different if Curse didn't ever get involved with NAO. Being a sponsor then pulling out is the sketchy/scummy aspect of this situation imo.

#52 Baulterexlol

Baulterexlol
  • Junkies
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Posts: 107
  • Talents: Restoration
  • RBG: 2297

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:27 PM

View PostVioz, on 09 May 2012 - 09:17 PM, said:

I think this would be much different if Curse didn't ever get involved with NAO. Being a sponsor then pulling out is the sketchy/scummy aspect of this situation imo.

And that's my point.

#53 acushi

acushi
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Posts: 1097
  • Talents: Beast Mastery 1/0/0/2/2/1

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:44 PM

View Postmeduse, on 09 May 2012 - 09:37 PM, said:

this
also why the fuck is there so much moderation on these kind of threads it's fucking rediculous

well this particular thread has Yes painted all over in from what was a PRIVATE conversation now made public.

this is the same as going  social mongoloid on your significant other and screaming that they're a dumbass in public because your opinion differs from theirs.

#54 Donald

Donald
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Posts: 942
  • Talents: Shadow 1/2/0/2/2/1
  • RBG: 2511

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:54 PM

View PostDonald, on 09 May 2012 - 08:02 AM, said:

the point has nothing to do with "intellectual theft," - that is terminology wrongfully used by me.
hello hi hello i said this a year ago, shut up about intellectual theft, everyone gets it.

6/8 of the teams curse invited are great, should have just had those 6. kpuls team and selkeths team are not on the level of the other 6, and they are both resto sham comps, which is not what they wanted for 'diversity' (kpuls is even a lock sham comp, meaning half of the competition is lock sham), so leaving them out would have been better. having them in annoys me, because other teams would have liked the chance to replace them.

my motives behind this thread were to make known that this new tournament came to being on the backs of the NAO staff, their abandoned partner. it just seems that NAO has been blind sided, its not like when curse initially sponsored them they said to them "hey, great work, we're going to help you now, then randomly drop you and start up our own thing."

theres nothing more i can learn from this thread. more tournaments yay, how they used NAO boo.

Posted Image


#55 ss2b24

ss2b24
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Illidan
  • Rampage
  • Posts: 580
  • Talents: Destruction 0/2/2/0/2/0
  • 2v2: 1885
  • 3v3: 2285
  • 5v5: 1842
  • RBG: 2112
  • Locationflooorida

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:33 PM

View PostDonald, on 09 May 2012 - 09:54 PM, said:

hello hi hello i said this a year ago, shut up about intellectual theft, everyone gets it.

6/8 of the teams curse invited are great, should have just had those 6. kpuls team and selkeths team are not on the level of the other 6, and they are both resto sham comps, which is not what they wanted for 'diversity' (kpuls is even a lock sham comp, meaning half of the competition is lock sham), so leaving them out would have been better. having them in annoys me, because other teams would have liked the chance to replace them.

my motives behind this thread were to make known that this new tournament came to being on the backs of the NAO staff, their abandoned partner. it just seems that NAO has been blind sided, its not like when curse initially sponsored them they said to them "hey, great work, we're going to help you now, then randomly drop you and start up our own thing."

theres nothing more i can learn from this thread. more tournaments yay, how they used NAO boo.

seeing selketh's team get farmed last night by cdew without even a slight challenge supports this argument even more

#56 acushi

acushi
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Posts: 1097
  • Talents: Beast Mastery 1/0/0/2/2/1

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:35 PM

NAO never held any intellectual propery.  Setting up a tournament is now considered INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY?

Everything is supposed to be open source right down to the code for the add ons.

If anything all these rip offs are all from the roman times as Tosan has stated.  This is such a stupid thread, pointless really.

NAO didnt invent anything, they didnt push the envelope with the tournament design (quite frankly how do you own copy rights to a contest? or Code to the add ons for the tournament itself).

I just dont get why threads like this continue to stay up when Don posts but when other posters put out garbage like this they're immediately destroyed or infracted.  It seems like he's making a personal issue now into an NAO got ripped off issue.

#57 zephah

zephah
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Mug'thol
  • Vengeance
  • Posts: 2456
  • Talents: Assassination

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:57 PM

I know I already commented on this thread, but I really liked that Diziet correctly used the word "obtuse" it really doesn't happen that much.

#58 snoob

snoob
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Posts: 65
  • Talents: Discipline
  • RBG: 1139

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:03 PM

I take Intro to Business Law class at CC, now I must post on AJ about intellectual property after the OP said this has nothing to do with it to seem intelligent.

#59 Beijaflor

Beijaflor
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Emerald Dream
  • Shadowburn
  • Posts: 119
  • Talents: Restoration 1/2/2/0/2/0
  • 2v2: 2038
  • 3v3: 2416
  • 5v5: 864
  • RBG: 576

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:18 PM

"[5/8/2012 11:57:17 PM] Diziet: intellectual theft
[5/8/2012 11:57:24 PM] Diziet: now you're being obtuse"

Damn, them's fightin' words where i come from

#60 Drazziefresh

Drazziefresh
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Posts: 260
  • Talents: Elemental 0/1/2/2/0/0
  • RBG: 192

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:19 PM

Hey guys lets start pointless drama to get attention
pee in her butt br0




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<