• Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Frostmourne
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Marksmanship 1/1/2/2/1/0
  • 2v2: 1128
  • 3v3: 288

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:41 PM

So i got thinking just a few days ago as i returned to WoW after a short hiatus, and started looking back to the days when i started playing and PvPing alike. I immediately started thinking of the players i found most influential to my desire to play and excel, essentially my idols and my mentors.

Personally for me, this was a Warrior named Depth on the Cho'Gall server, He obtained Gladiator season one and i thought the feeling of accomplishment and prestige of attaining the associated rewards and perks would be cool. Obviously since then the matter of Gladiator and the way the community views them has changed dramatically due to a number of reasons, but i was curious to see what others thought.

So i have these two questions for you all:

1. Who was most influential to you and/or who would you consider to be a role model?
2. What is your current view on Gladiators and how they are perceived. Do you look highly of them or just shrug it off as a common sight?

Edited by Wolfanized, 10 March 2012 - 11:42 PM.

#2 Beijaflor

Beijaflor
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Emerald Dream
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Restoration 1/2/2/0/2/0
  • 2v2: 2038
  • 3v3: 2416
  • 5v5: 864
  • RBG: 576

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:50 PM

I won't answer all of it because I've been playing since the beginning and getting glad since the beginning and never really had a role model, BUT.

I think the majority of people who have played this game and arenad for at least over a year realize, literally, at leasy 60% of Gladiators these days are random carries.  It's a common sight now, and in no way shape or form a real bit of prestige / achievement like it used to be.

#3 Renataki

Renataki
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Cenarius
  • Whirlwind
  • Talents: Retribution 1/2/0/2/0/2
  • RBG: 2232

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:53 PM

View PostWolfanized, on 10 March 2012 - 11:41 PM, said:

So i got thinking just a few days ago as i returned to WoW after a short hiatus, and started looking back to the days when i started playing and PvPing alike. I immediately started thinking of the players i found most influential to my desire to play and excel, essentially my idols and my mentors.

Personally for me, this was a Warrior named Depth on the Cho'Gall server, He obtained Gladiator season one and i thought the feeling of accomplishment and prestige of attaining the associated rewards and perks would be cool. Obviously since then the matter of Gladiator and the way the community views them has changed dramatically due to a number of reasons, but i was curious to see what others thought.

So i have these two questions for you all:

1. Who was most influential to you and/or who would you consider to be a role model?
2. What is your current view on Gladiators and how they are perceived. Do you look highly of them or just shrug it off as a common sight?

1. Uck
2. Shrug it off

#4 Champz

Champz
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Kazzak
  • Misery
  • Talents: Marksmanship
  • RBG: 955
  • LocationMorocco

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:54 PM

1. started playing arena in wrath and best hunter on my bg was Spanglez (nagrand, vindication at the time). He was an absolute beast. He would completely outplay me in every possible way. Finally managed to beat him which gave me such a confidence booster and kinda set off my motivation for gladiator.

2. I will always have a level of respect for all legit gladiators. I do think however majority of gladiator's are perceived in a negative way. They can be extremely harsh to ''lesser'' skilled players and just dicks. Ofcourse not all are like that, but atleast in my experience majority where unfortunately elitist. In the games current form, I generally don't pay attention to who has gladiator, I feel the title has lost meaning.

Edited by yeabudz, 10 March 2012 - 11:58 PM.

Posted Image

#5 Tonix_

Tonix_
  • Junkies
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • US-Thrall
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Elemental ./././././.
  • RBG: 1148

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:57 PM

1.) I really can't say who is influential or who I would consider to be a "role model" but generally the people who take time to help with guides or macros are the biggest help nowadays.  I don't watch many pvp videos anymore but I always liked Diablos since he seems clam and collected in every arena game.

2.) People definitely don't think of gladiators the way they used to,  with less people overall who pvp and all the stuff that is out there for paid carries and various cheating that happened through the seasons.   Doesn't really matter if you cheated or not, it is just getting glad during Cataclysm I think will have a stigma with it.  

I really hope people don't arena anymore for purely the "prestige" of being Glad.

Edited by Tonix_, 10 March 2012 - 11:59 PM.

#6 zephah

zephah
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Mug'thol
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Assassination

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:00 AM

glad means nothing anymore, its just win trades and carries and a community that doesnt even get close to rewarding great play

i could cheese someone 10 games in a row in sc2 and get gg's

i could lose an arena to a comp that hard counters me and get spammed by emotes and whispered after the game

#7 Cakesz

Cakesz
  • Junkies
  • Goblinclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Arms 1/1/1/1/0/.

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:02 AM

View Postzephah, on 11 March 2012 - 12:00 AM, said:

glad means nothing anymore, its just win trades and carries and a community that doesnt even get close to rewarding great play

It's a community that promotes cheating.

#8 Drakk

Drakk
  • Junkies
  • Trollclass_name
  • EU-Zenedar
  • Blackout
  • Talents: Fire
  • LocationSweden

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:17 AM

Vileroze, made me start mage in late s7
Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 Wolfanized

Wolfanized
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Frostmourne
  • Bloodlust

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:21 AM

It seems that the general consensus really is that Gladiators are so common and obtained via various shady methods that all sense of pride or accomplishment has withered from the sense of onlooking eyes of the community that somewhat promotes cheating by accepting and not fighting against it. It truly is a shame that win trading, buying and abuse through MMR bugs is all that the arena system has been reduced to, not to mention the consistent decline in PvP activity as a whole has surely affected the community. I have even heard some people go as far as saying the introduction and changes made to the PvP system have allowed easier access for illegitimate Gladiators and Arena teams to advance, EG: The removal of rating requirements for various pieces of arena gear and now being available through honor, Thus making it easier for people with no experience to purchase and trade wins with no major effect on the team due to gearing differences and the now reduced effects of resilience. Opinions?

However, the changes made work both ways and allow newer legitimate players to break into an otherwise difficult PvP scene and system through easier gear attainment and a mass of very helpful guides available on forums like this and alike, Which i 100% agree on. Before the changes PvP was hard to get in to due to the difficult stages, The entry through gearing and practice which was made very difficult due to restrictions and requirements, once that was accomplished it was a fairly moderate climb through the skill levels and learning process followed by another difficult yet well fitted advance to the 'higher' ratings and into the title range.

As far as players still competing and striving in arena for the 'prestige' of being a Gladiator, i could say in a sense i would classify myself as one of those people, However to say that was the only reason would be lying. Over time my thoughts and goals have changed, from earning what was considered a somewhat prestigious and respected title and achievement in the community to playing to collect mounts and other unique and otherwise unobtainable items, physical achievements and as a basis of my sole love for PvP in this game. Throughout Burning Crusade Gladiator mounts were very different to those available to any other player out there, they were not only aesthetically different and VERY appealing but they also granted that extra 30% flight increase in a world where even 280% flying speed was not so common, not to mention they were available before their time in a PvP vs PvE sense of release. However that being said it is definitely true that the mounts rewarded since Wrath of the Lich King and Cataclysm have lost flavour and creative sense and are bland and sometimes even reused but i have never let that deter me from doing what i can truly say i find very fun, Obtaining Gladiator is just a bonus as the end of the season and somewhat of a goal or light at the end of the tunnel to look forward to in between the tedious queue spam and repetitive comp match ups.

A community that promotes cheating, I couldn't have said it better myself Rasen.

Edited by Wolfanized, 11 March 2012 - 12:25 AM.

#10 Snackumz

Snackumz
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Destruction 0/1/2/2/2/1
  • RBG: 2455

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:23 AM

uckington

#11 Necrolina

Necrolina
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • EU-Auchindoun
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Retribution 2/0/0/2/2/0
  • RBG: 2313

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:35 AM

View PostWolfanized, on 10 March 2012 - 11:41 PM, said:

I wouldn't say that I have a role model, but back in the days the Francis movie had quite the impact on me. I rerolled soon afterwards and started playing in a serious and motivated manner for the first time. In BC there weren't too many player that I recall had a direct impact on me, but I do remember a few that made competing worthwhile (that being back with my original account / char). Watching older movies nowdays, such as the Hydra series and whatnot makes me realise, though, that what a player such as Hydra already did back in season5 (movements, positioning etc) is something that you can see practically every day regardless of the rating you play at, so I dare say some of these more well known players had a rather huge influence on the overall pvp population, even if only in an indirect way for the most of us here on AJ.

Its still not that common unless you're on one of these pvp hub type of realms such as SS, Outland or Aegwyn, but the overall quality most certainly deteriorated over the last couple of seasons. It becomes increasingly hard to judge whether a gladiator is truly better than someone without a title and you don't often (if ever) get that get sense of accomplishment you used to get for beating an "allstar" team anymore. But non the less, Gladiator is still a well respected title overall and those of us that feel its lost the weight it once carried are in the smallest minority.

Edited by Necrolina, 11 March 2012 - 12:37 AM.

#12 misios

misios
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Destruction
  • LocationNorway

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:39 AM

in tbc (s2-s3) I was well proud of my titles, I got something someone else couldn't and the drakes were cool.

Now I just get the title show i still got it, I would be lying if I said i didnt really care about title, because I que up to farm a team to gladiator the last week of a season anyway.

in terms of inspirations I guess u fanboi'd some of the heroes back in the days such as sony etc...
Posted Image

#13 Wolfanized

Wolfanized
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Frostmourne
  • Bloodlust

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:43 AM

View PostNecrolina, on 11 March 2012 - 12:35 AM, said:

I wouldn't say that I have a role model, but back in the days the Francis movie had quite the impact on me. I rerolled soon afterwards and started playing in a serious and motivated manner for the first time. In BC there weren't too many player that I recall had a direct impact on me, but I do remember a few that made competing worthwhile (that being back with my original account / char). Watching older movies nowdays, such as the Hydra series and whatnot makes me realise, though, that what a player such as Hydra already did back in season5 (movements, positioning etc) is something that you can see practically every day regardless of the rating you play at, so I dare say some of these more well known players had a rather huge influence on the overall pvp population, even if only in an indirect way for the most of us here on AJ.

Its still not that common unless you're on one of these pvp hub type of realms such as SS, Outland or Aegwyn, but the overall quality most certainly deteriorated over the last couple of seasons. It becomes increasingly hard to judge whether a gladiator is truly better than someone without a title and you don't often (if ever) get that get sense of accomplishment you used to get for beating an "allstar" team anymore. But non the less, Gladiator is still a well respected title overall and those of us that feel its lost the weight it once carried are in the smallest minority.

I would have to 100% agree on you with the first part of your post, Players such as Hydra and key players from the early days really have shaped the way we PvP, by pushing the bounds and breaking away from the norm they have created some very useful and cunning tactics which can be found amongst almost all players these days. It was those early days, and those early players that helped shape and grow the PvP scene, those are the players i will always respect, Those are the true Gladiators.

It is also refreshing to see someone recognise and relate to the fact that although a majority of us here have become sour and put off by the illegitimate players out there and the somewhat degraded value of a Gladiator title, that there are still people out there who look up to those players, who when they see a Gladiator title do not immediately think of ways to falsify their accomplishment but look at them with a sense of respect and look at them as a HUB for information, as someone they can approach for advice and help in their current struggle and endeavours to advance, to break out of a place that all of us started from, The learning process.

#14 Nermó

Nermó
  • Junkies
  • Taurenclass_name
  • EU-Kor'gall
  • Cruelty / Crueldad
  • Talents: Feral Combat
  • LocationSweden

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:54 AM

Vurtne and Chrille, made me play druid and mage  :)

Glad titles or RBG rating doesnt mean anything to me anymore, the prestige for having Gladiator felt to me like it was gone in early wotlk already.
Posted Image

#15 hirtqt

hirtqt
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Bleeding Hollow
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Discipline 2/0/1/1/1/1
  • RBG: 732

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:58 AM

hafu
Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 Mckenzie

Mckenzie
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Blackrock
  • Glutsturm / Emberstorm
  • Talents:
  • RBG: 1151
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:14 AM

Just be nice and helpful to your non-glad fellow players and they might actually start to think of a gladiator in a way they used to.
Remembering back when I didn't have a clue about arena I looked up in awe to those players with decent ratings and most of them would actually talk to me and help me improve myself when I asked them a couple questions. If they wouldn't have helped me I probably wouldn't have continued to play arenas and I definitely wouldn't have had the same motivation to get better at the game.

This has changed in a great way ... a lot of glads just don't give a sh** about anything any more. Many friends of mine don't like PVP because when ever they try to talk to high rated players they just get flamed and laughed at... I don't understand how it is this hard to just be nice and helpful from time to time.

#17 kushmastercooney

kushmastercooney
  • Nookson
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Tarren Mill
  • Misery
  • Talents: Fire 1/2/2/1/1/.

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:27 AM

View PostLipstickx, on 11 March 2012 - 01:12 AM, said:

Don't talk please when you bought your account.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#18 Adden

Adden
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Restoration 0/2/0/1/0/0
  • 2v2: 956
  • 3v3: 96
  • RBG: 2101

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:49 AM

Haven't really had any particular influences or rolemodels, however I remember thinking ßlashinko and Sailor were quite good shamans back in TBC. Doubt anyone here even remembers them. Loved Noones mage movies as well.

#19 Jacob_a

Jacob_a
  • Members

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:04 AM

1. Most influential player: None. Never had any role models.
2. I don't think about it. I prefer playing with players who have glad titles as it's often a proof of their experience. A "background check" is always needed though, cause you never know how they got it, in what comp and with who etc. Obviously there's a difference between a warrior s11 high glad and a rogue s11 low glad (rls etc).

I believe people tend to exaggerate a bit when they talk about cheating/mmr abusing though. I think around 15% tops of the people who got glad in my BG in s9 were mmr abusing. That's 85% who didn't cheat. You should never assume that someone cheated their way to the top of the ladder. Personally I don't know a single guy who did. I only hang out with nice guys though, so I might be wrong.

#20 Hyuru

Hyuru
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Subtlety 1/2/2/0/0/0
  • RBG: 2237
  • LocationNOT EVEN EU

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:16 AM

Hydra

Posted Image