#41 Conradical

Conradical
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Garona
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Affliction 0/2/2/0/2/.

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:43 AM

You guys are both right. I said it a ton, but yeah I just wanted everyone to hear it. I actually probably said it too much for the people watching the whole thing.

#42 zephah

zephah
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Mug'thol
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Assassination

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:58 AM

You guys are both right. I said it a ton, but yeah I just wanted everyone to hear it. I actually probably said it too much for the people watching the whole thing.

this is the biggest thing

you say it when there's downtime, which isn't a huge deal - and the biggest point of nao (at least what i'm taking away from it) is trying to to spread the word, if you get people go to skill capped and get even one subscription, they could recommend it to their friends, etc, and once every 30 minutes is farrrr too little

read the comments on mmo-champion for example;

new pvpers or people who rarely arena won't sit there and watch the whole thing, but they might go check out a website that's advertised and really help out the future events by even doing a one month subscription

#43 Leonardo

Leonardo
  • Junkies
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:54 AM

With regards to trinket CD not showing up, I believe it's because of Every Man For Himself. I was fairly sure I could never tell the trinket timers on humans.
Posted Image

#44 mukuld50

mukuld50
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • US-Magtheridon
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Elemental ./././././.
  • RBG: 2666

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:07 PM

With regards to trinket CD not showing up, I believe it's because of Every Man For Himself. I was fairly sure I could never tell the trinket timers on humans.

It is not that... we were able to pinpoint the issue. Trinkets and abilities used do not show up when the person is cross-realm (from the character that I am spectating with). Working on a fix for it.

#45 Starcookie

Starcookie
  • Premium Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Naxxramas
  • Sturmangriff / Charge
  • Talents: Discipline

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:09 PM

Problem is, every time you wish to change target, or MV runs out it'll change the camera areound the player for a short time, interrupting the game for a moment. If Mind Vision was a instant cast, it'd work.

Just my thoughts about it.

It doesn't do that if you're close. Just re-targetting and/or refreshing the cast mostly keeps you on your target.

Although, with that said, I just realised that Mind Vision was banned from Arena in Season 3 so it makes the point rather void. I assume that is still inplace for wargames as well as rated.

#46 Synkz

Synkz
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Illidan
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Shadow 1/1/0/1/0/2/0

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:19 PM

Would having some kind of fan giveaway between a few of the matches be a viable idea? Kind of like how football games will give a fan a chance to kick a field goal and win a prize?

No idea what kind of contest you could do, maybe pick a random name or two from the chat list (as long as they haven't mentioned Swifty or Mercader in the chat, rofl) or something, but then that viewer would win a free AJ / Curse t-shirt or w/e.

I think Rzn has done something like this on his stream, actually.

Just popped into my head, didn't really have time to think about it much :)

Edited by Synkz, 06 February 2012 - 02:24 PM.

#47 Necrolina

Necrolina
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • EU-Auchindoun
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Retribution 2/0/0/2/2/0
  • RBG: 2313

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:49 PM

It truly amazes me that after years of waiting and whining the problem some of you get fixated on is how a player - who is by no means considered a veteran or a professional when it comes to shoutcasting - commentates games and advertises their sponsors.

:rolleyes:

#48 Deliriumz

Deliriumz
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Spirestone
  • Reckoning
  • Talents: Discipline 1/0/1/1/1/1

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:27 PM

Better/more entertaining/knowledgeable commentators, the few matches I tuned into they called things late, the camera positioning was horrendous. Get people with better knowledge of the game who know what the team is trying to setup/wait for. I remember the game being a RLS vs something, and the RLS was just randomly picking targets just waiting for sstep/sdance/soul swap to drop a player, and the commentators were completely clueless until the swap target was down to 30%.

This is so lame bro. Every one of your posts that I've ever read is completely negative. I thought the commentators did great and you say 'get people with better knowledge of the game', yeaaa like azael and hoodrych have no idea what they're talking about :wacko:. You also said 'the few matches i tuned into'.. try to watch a few more before making generalizations about their commentating. I don't want to hear the announcers making random hypothesis's about who they're gonna swap to the whole game, better late than that imo.

I thought the tournament has been great so far, huge improvements in scale from the first tournament (adding qualifiers, etc.) and I thought it was all handled exceptionally.

My constructive criticism:
- I agree with ThingOne saying that less teams should get automatic spots, but I think you have already agreed with that and taken it to heart anyway.
- Always good for the viewers to hear what the players have to say. I would support more skype interviews, in between matches or before/after the series or matches start.

Question for you:
How do you guys plan to do the 'seed' numbering for the main tournament for the teams that got automatic spots and have yet to play?

Edited by Deliriumz, 06 February 2012 - 04:37 PM.

#49 Rhordizledog

Rhordizledog
  • LocationC-town

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:14 PM

Overall I felt the tourney was run much smoother this time than the first (Gj to the NAO organizers.) The commentators were much better this time, which lead to a better experience for my friend who doesn't arena much but loves to watch them. Some pointers for next time would be to show some of the other matches (yes the fire mage team was one of the game i wanted to see most!)

Other than that great job! Cannot wait to see NAO 3.
"It needs to be purified by someone with evaporating skills or it will fester and putrify"
-The Cheshire Cat

#50 Deliriumz

Deliriumz
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Spirestone
  • Reckoning
  • Talents: Discipline 1/0/1/1/1/1

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:26 PM

Overall I felt the tourney was run much smoother this time than the first (Gj to the NAO organizers.) The commentators were much better this time, which lead to a better experience for my friend who doesn't arena much but loves to watch them. Some pointers for next time would be to show some of the other matches (yes the fire mage team was one of the game i wanted to see most!)

Other than that great job! Cannot wait to see NAO 3.

The tourney's not over yet, those were just the qualifiers! :)

#51 Thing_one

Thing_one
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Subtlety 1/1/2/2/0/1
  • 2v2: 1838
  • 3v3: 2127
  • 5v5: 96
  • RBG: 384
  • LocationArizona State University

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:44 PM

have no idea how advertising or economics works? so like, how bud light commercials will air every other commercial break in a one hour program, often times every commercial break

smh, just stop

you guys are acting like he's saying it CONSTANTLY

once a game isn't even too much

Comparing what NAO does to advertise to their sponsors and bud light is unbelievably ignorant. You do realize what you're saying, right?

First off, they pay a lot of money for unique commercials in the biggest beer advertising event of the year, and you're comparing it to the gratitude expressed towards the NAO sponsors. Secondly, those are commercials, they are also pretty funny, and people talk about them for weeks after the fact, for good reasons.

Please, for the love of God and all of his disciples, learn what opportunity cost in economics is. When you do finally get it, the cost of advertising more frequently is to annoy your stream viewers who are more likely to support it than that passerby. You actually generate more revenue, have much more efficient advertising, and you don't piss anyone off, if you advertise less, ESPECIALLY when you're advertising the same thing during every break.

There truly are not words for some things, comparing the BUDLIGHT advertising during the Super Bowl with the advertising of the NAO is one of those things. They're incredibly different.

Edited by Thing_one, 06 February 2012 - 09:08 PM.

#52 mukuld50

mukuld50
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • US-Magtheridon
  • Ruin

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:20 PM

yes the fire mage team was one of the game i wanted to see most!)

Only reason we didnt stream their games is cause they were never available over the weekends :(

#53 mukuld50

mukuld50
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • US-Magtheridon
  • Ruin

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:21 PM

Ok, I nor any other NAO organizer cares about Economics or the cost of opportunity of advertising. Please take your discussions to PMs or a different thread, and focus on using this thread solely for feedback related to NAO run tournaments.

We got the point that there was excessive plugging of sponsors, and understand that some people disagree with that, and that is all we need to know.

Thanks.

Edited by mukuld50, 06 February 2012 - 10:23 PM.

#54 zephah

zephah
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Mug'thol
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Assassination

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:19 AM

text

alright college sophomore you win

you're always right

actually had to edit

except this;

and you don't piss anyone off

there will always be people angry

alright talk later

Edited by zephah, 07 February 2012 - 02:21 AM.

#55 Vanguards

Vanguards
  • Administrators
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Retribution 0/1/0/1/0/0/0
  • 3v3: 2374

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:37 AM

Something I've thought of is to grab a good video editor, and make a good professional video of the NAO games each tournament and have it uploaded to youtube->warcraftmovies. If you guys grab a partnership to youtube and get at least like 200k views the revenue isn't too bad for the time it'll take. (It should only take 5hours to turn the clips into something fun and presentable I assume.) I think it's quite possible the video could hit at least 500k views if enough fanbase help advertise it.

Just an idea that would help bring more $ in = bigger prize money = more viewers

edit: might also grab a different market of viewers that don't usually watch twitch.tv and watches only youtube / warcraftmovies videos
http://twitch.tv/VanguardsTV- Stream (Follow to know when I'm live!)
http://twitter.com/VanguardsTV- Twitter
http://facebook.com/Samk920 - Facebook

http://youtube.com/SamK920 - YouTube Videos

#56 Zub

Zub
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Shadow 1/2/0/1/2/1

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:48 AM

It'd be cool if we could see the PoV from some of the teams that are playing (multiple streams?) but I could see how that could be a problem with advertising.

#57 edthelad

edthelad
  • Members
  • Taurenclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Windwalker 0/1/0/1/0/.

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:36 PM

Skype chat would be nice - better than conradical at least
Posted Image

#58 Ctuhlu

Ctuhlu
  • Junkies
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Restoration

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:45 PM

nerf warlocks

we have to switch to them making the decision to pop reck or not to pop reck

#59 Ctuhlu

Ctuhlu
  • Junkies
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Restoration

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:52 PM

It's not so much the frequency that is annoying. There is nothing wrong with, 'Now back to the NAO online tournament brought to you by Curse and Skillcapped. Okay our next match will be on Ruins of [blah blah blah].' The same goes with 'We are sponsored by Curse and Skillcapped, check them out'.

What irks me is when it becomes a testimonial during downtime (no, nobody is acting like the ads come during the matches) about how great their PRODUCT is -- not the staff themselves. Say the people at skill capped are awesome, but spare us the overt plugging. You know how product placement in TV shows or movies is annoying? That's the line that gets crossed. Instead of 'big thanks to our sponsors: curse, skill capped, etc', you were basically like 'Make sure you subscribe to Skillcapped, they have a ton of videos there that will make you better. I really love skillcapped I know a ton of people who have used skillcapped and had success, make sure you buy a membership for curse and skillcapped'.

It's tough to convey exactly the line that is crossed but it becomes overt plugging / quasi- product placement and it's annoying.

we have to switch to them making the decision to pop reck or not to pop reck

#60 mukuld50

mukuld50
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • US-Magtheridon
  • Ruin

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:39 PM

It's not so much the frequency that is annoying. There is nothing wrong with, 'Now back to the NAO online tournament brought to you by Curse and Skillcapped. Okay our next match will be on Ruins of [blah blah blah].' The same goes with 'We are sponsored by Curse and Skillcapped, check them out'.

What irks me is when it becomes a testimonial during downtime (no, nobody is acting like the ads come during the matches) about how great their PRODUCT is -- not the staff themselves. Say the people at skill capped are awesome, but spare us the overt plugging. You know how product placement in TV shows or movies is annoying? That's the line that gets crossed. Instead of 'big thanks to our sponsors: curse, skill capped, etc', you were basically like 'Make sure you subscribe to Skillcapped, they have a ton of videos there that will make you better. I really love skillcapped I know a ton of people who have used skillcapped and had success, make sure you buy a membership for curse and skillcapped'.

It's tough to convey exactly the line that is crossed but it becomes overt plugging / quasi- product placement and it's annoying.

We got the point the first time you said it, no need to say it 100 times and rub it down to death. Point taken, changes will be made - we are not professionals and are learning as we go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<