• Content Editors
  • Curse Premium
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Beast Mastery
  • LocationAustria

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:39 PM

This is Xandyn's guide to gearing a mage using PvE gear.
The other thread was closed due to flaming and spam, if you don't like this gear setup, don't use it. It is very PvE focused and might not be the best option for your playstyle.
This guide was posted again due to popular request.

Main pieces
4/5 PvP + PvE legs.

Tier 13 HC (Dragon Soul) -> Tier 12 Heroic (Firelands) -> Tier 13 Normal (Dragon Soul) -> Tier 12 Normal (2200 Justice Points) -> Tier 13 Raid finder (Dragon Soul)

You should use 378 Firehawk vs 384 Raid Finder, and 391 Firehawk vs 397 Tier 13 or you lose way too much crit, for 40 intel~ and useless haste.

Trinkets
For Human you want to have a core trinket which will be 'Foul Gift of the Demon Lord' from Well of Eternity Heroic dungeon. No other trinket is better for first slot.

Second trinket would be ideally in order of the following: HC Cunning of the Cruel -> HC Ragnaros trinket -> Cunning of the Cruel-> Soul Casket -> Ragnaros Normal trinket -> Cunning of the Cruel LFR -> PvP on use

For NON-Human the trinket priority is as follows: HC Cunning of the Cruel -> HC Ragnaros Trinket-> Foul Gift of the Demon Lord -> Cunning of the Cruel -> Soul Casket -> Cunning of the Cruel LFR -> PvP on use.

Use the crit medallion reforged to mastery if you have low PvE gear, else use the resilience oneand get more PvE gear to replace.

Well of eternity trinket is the best trinket before heroic trinkets. I won't elaborate on this further, but 20% damage proc, on a very short ICD, and very high proc chance should be convincing enough.

Off-pieces
REQUISITE:
Bracers of Unconquered Power (craftable for 15k~ gold)
Tentacular belt (1650 valor points)

ADDITIONAL
Ring of the Riven(4th boss Dragon Soul, heroic/LFR if you can of course)
Crystal Prison Band Firelands - Shannox HC(378 one not worth to use over 403 PvP rings, unless you have no PvE gear at all).
Wand from Warlord Zon'ozz, 2nd Dragon Soul boss is also good.

Gemming/enchanting
Just follow a very simple rule. 4% Hit -> Intellect(by far) -> Mastery -> Crit -> Resilience -> Haste

Enchant intellect everywhere you can, you should gem Intellect everywhere in your gear, except if you have Dragon Soul legs (30 intel bonus). And the obvious PvE gear that has intel socket bonuses.

The PvP shoulders is the only PvP item worth following the socket bonus, because it has intel as a yellow gem bonus. However, if you use epic gems, it's not worth it. 15 Intellect > 25 mastery.

Notes

You can and you should use as much of the PvE gear from the ADDITIONAL off-pieces listed, the goal is to have around 3400 resilience in arena as ANY COMP that isn't RMP and less if you play RMP. If you are a good mage you should be able to survive just about everything before your team wins.

Even as RMP I am rarely the one dying, and people tunnel me. I would use 2800~ resilience in 3v3 if I had better PvE gear that is worth wearing over 403 PvP (aka something from the off-pieces listed above).

I haven't died a single game of 3v3 while wearing 2800 resilience, vs top Cyclone teams. If you are struggling, it's because you need more experience at avoiding damage, use more resilience when you are less experienced as a mage, then gradually go down as your skill goes up.

You should be aiming at approx. 15 mastery, 10500 spell power as non-human.

This is MY way of gearing mage (which contributes to alot of my damage in arena, most of my damage however is carefully using my cooldowns so I never run out of finger procs in an arena game, therefore never have to cast, max, unstoppable damage).

Thanks to Xandyn for writing this.

#2 Duckfloatz

Duckfloatz
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Alterac Mountains
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Frost 2/2/2/2/2/.

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:38 AM

great guide (: pmuch going to wear valor cloak/belt and the crafted bracers on my mage and rest pvp. i would use less resil but i find that hunters are just dumb and this bg is full of hunters ):
LoL : Duckfloatzzi
Posted Image

#3 Saikx

Saikx
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Ravencrest
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Arcane 0/0/0/2/0/2
  • 2v2: 2137
  • 3v3: 2624
  • RBG: 2184

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:00 AM

View PostDuckfloatz, on 16 January 2012 - 12:38 AM, said:

great guide (: pmuch going to wear valor cloak/belt and the crafted bracers on my mage and rest pvp. i would use less resil but i find that hunters are just dumb and this bg is full of hunters ):

would not use cloak tbh

Posted Image

Visit my stream: http://www.twitch.tv/saikx

#4 Ahlaundoh

Ahlaundoh
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Anetheron
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents:
  • RBG: 1990

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:02 AM

View PostDuckfloatz, on 16 January 2012 - 12:38 AM, said:

pvp cloak has mastery on it already, and you don't really need hit
Posted Image
Posted Image
pve the best

#5 Saikx

Saikx
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Ravencrest
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Arcane 0/0/0/2/0/2
  • 2v2: 2137
  • 3v3: 2624
  • RBG: 2184

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:15 AM

^ well apparently someone was arguing with him while Xandyn was completely right. I remember that one mage that whispered me every pvp frostmage should go for 33% crit and reforge everything into it since some stupid site says its best (what makes it more funnier is the site does clearly say 4% hit>int>mastery and to reforge basically everything into mastery he was just too stupid to read it right) so that 1,3k rated mage was arguing with me for 10minutes that everyone is wrong and we should all go for crit.

MAN I GOT MAD

SOOO MAD

I know cool story bro, but I also get pissed when people start to argue without knowing shit so its kind of understandable

B)

Edited by Saikx, 16 January 2012 - 01:19 AM.

Posted Image

Visit my stream: http://www.twitch.tv/saikx

#6 Ipsissimus

Ipsissimus
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Lightning's Blade
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Frost 0/2/0/1/2/2
  • LocationIуашъхьэмафэ

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:23 AM

I wholeheartedly agree that it's quite irritating when people make baseless claims, only to resort to trash talking and chest thumping once said claims are proven to be factually wrong.

edit:
To clarify, the guide itself is quite informative and I'm certain plenty of people would find it useful. That, however, doesn't necessarily mean it's perfect. There's nothing wrong with discussing it, that's what forums are for, after all :)

Edited by Ipsissimus, 16 January 2012 - 01:26 AM.

#7 Pawzz

Pawzz
  • Content Editors
  • Curse Premium
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • LocationAustria

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:33 AM

Can we just leave out the spam, read the guide or leave it.

#8 Taunkaztorm

Taunkaztorm
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Demonology

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:56 AM

So you're not allowed to make comments about the guide or what? :s

View Postwisdomcube, on 15 September 2011 - 05:58 PM, said:

Priest are better healers than shaman but why would a lock play with a a class that shares the same cc dr? People are just too fucking stupid to realize this.

"NIckelback is good u know.."

#9 Pawzz

Pawzz
  • Content Editors
  • Curse Premium
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • LocationAustria

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:10 AM

View PostTaunkaztorm, on 16 January 2012 - 02:56 AM, said:

So you're not allowed to make comments about the guide or what? :s
I left all the comments that are useful and not spam in the thread. Ofc you can comment.

The problem is spam and bashing writers of guides causes less people to write guides, which reduces the amount of guides, which increases the amount of questions new players (and ofc older players) ask. Generally speaking.
Guides are good, so dont bash people for writing guides, write your own if you think you can do it better. And if you have improvements to the current guide post them.

#10 skunks

skunks
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Illidan
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Frost
  • RBG: 2283

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:29 AM

I was surprised to see no Moonwell Chalice in the line-up for trinkets. I guess Foul Gift of the Demon Lord would be a better choice than the Moonwell, because it's a proc which is a much shorter cooldown than the Moonwell. I just feel like some comps like RMP the 'on-demand' mastery can be nice.  I'd love to hear your thoughts though.

Edited by tonez, 16 January 2012 - 09:49 AM.

#11 NAOChris

NAOChris
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Restoration 1/0/2/1/2/.

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:36 AM

What makes that 5man trinket so good? And where would you rate Theralion's?

(Not trying to argue, I'm legitimately curious and have no idea)

edit: for human

Edited by NAOChris, 16 January 2012 - 10:39 AM.

#12 Pawzz

Pawzz
  • Content Editors
  • Curse Premium
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • LocationAustria

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:07 PM

View Postskunks, on 16 January 2012 - 09:29 AM, said:

I was surprised to see no Moonwell Chalice in the line-up for trinkets. I guess Foul Gift of the Demon Lord would be a better choice than the Moonwell, because it's a proc which is a much shorter cooldown than the Moonwell. I just feel like some comps like RMP the 'on-demand' mastery can be nice.  I'd love to hear your thoughts though.

Moonwell has a 20sec uptime with 2min cd = 16% uptime.

View PostNAOChris, on 16 January 2012 - 10:36 AM, said:

What makes that 5man trinket so good? And where would you rate Theralion's?

(Not trying to argue, I'm legitimately curious and have no idea)

edit: for human

Foul Gift of the Demon Lord has 20 second uptime with 45sec ICD = 44% uptime.

Theralions Mirror has 20 second uptime with 90sec ICD = 22% uptime.

I didnt account for the lower Mastery on Foul, but it still seems to be the #1 option, also seeing how easy it is to get.

#13 Z4muZ

Z4muZ
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Lightning's Blade
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Subtlety 2/2/2/1/0/.
  • LocationIsrael

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:21 PM

View PostPawzz, on 16 January 2012 - 03:10 AM, said:

I left all the comments that are useful and not spam in the thread. Ofc you can comment.

The problem is spam and bashing writers of guides causes less people to write guides, which reduces the amount of guides, which increases the amount of questions new players (and ofc older players) ask. Generally speaking.
Guides are good, so dont bash people for writing guides, write your own if you think you can do it better. And if you have improvements to the current guide post them.

The reason for spam/bashing is based on the fact that the guide's author had no valid response to the legitimate questions and criticism which were brought up, and instead, turned to "STFU I AM MORE XP", "I AM THE MOST DAMAGE DEALING MAGE IN THE UNIVERSE" or "OMFGZORS LOLZ SO NABS U DONT EVEN HAF FAKED R1 AJ TITLES U DUNO ANYTHANG CBA WIT U", to serve him as counter-arguments.

When you start a thread, you're not suddenly granted with omnipotence. If you're unable to face criticism in a civilized manner and all you can do is argument ad hominem, you should face the same consequences as any other OP/P.

I hope you understand that, because if you don't; take no offense, you shouldn't be moderating.
Posted Image

#14 Pawzz

Pawzz
  • Content Editors
  • Curse Premium
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • LocationAustria

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:28 PM

View PostZ4muZ, on 16 January 2012 - 12:21 PM, said:

The reason for spam/bashing is based on the fact that the guide's author had no valid response to the legitimate questions and criticism which were brought up, and instead, turned to "STFU I AM MORE XP", "I AM THE MOST DAMAGE DEALING MAGE IN THE UNIVERSE" or "OMFGZORS LOLZ SO NABS U DONT EVEN HAF FAKED R1 AJ TITLES U DUNO ANYTHANG CBA WIT U", to serve him as counter-arguments.

When you start a thread, you're not suddenly granted with omnipotence. If you're unable to face criticism in a civilized manner and all you can do is argument ad hominem, you should face the same consequences as any other OP/P.

I hope you understand that, because if you don't; take no offense, you shouldn't be moderating.

I do understand, thats why the old thread is gone and I am posting this now, this is a pvp mage guide.
Feel free to discuss.

#15 Xandyn

Xandyn
  • Xandyn
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Frost 0/2/1/2/2/.

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:18 PM

View PostPawzz, on 16 January 2012 - 12:28 PM, said:

I do understand, thats why the old thread is gone and I am posting this now, this is a pve mage guide.
Feel free to discuss.

PvP*

I rate I would say Soul Casket > Theralion Mirror > Darkmoon card.

Didn't like Theralion at all when I used it.

I dislike Moonwell Chalice as a trinket as well, because it can be outranged quite easily (I have tried it).

The reason why I didn't give valid arguments is because there is nothing I can say, it's just how I feel after trying both trinkets, yes Darkmoon Card wins on a spreadsheet, but it's a 12 second proc vs 20 second proc, and in PvP situations as a frost mage longer procs will always be better, because you might get unlucky and not get any procs in 12 seconds of time, and then get a proc/petfreeze, etc.

So if the proc is same value of damage, but in a longer time vs shorter time (12 vs 20 second), longer proc will always be better in PvP situations for Frost mage, due to the nature of unreliable/RNG procs.

#16 Icedbrisktea

Icedbrisktea
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Frost 0/2/0/2/1/2
  • 2v2: 1913
  • LocationNC

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:26 PM

View PostXandyn, on 16 January 2012 - 06:18 PM, said:

Didn't like Theralion at all when I used it.

Is this because it has a long Internal cd because its pretty much the same thing as the Foul Gift of the Demon lord.
Posted Image

#17 Pawzz

Pawzz
  • Content Editors
  • Curse Premium
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • LocationAustria

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:49 PM

View PostIcedbrisktea, on 16 January 2012 - 10:26 PM, said:

Is this because it has a long Internal cd because its pretty much the same thing as the Foul Gift of the Demon lord.
Its ICD is 2x as long than foul

btw xandyn, been playing my mage a bit, 4k res and get shredded by everything. 27k obliterate, 39k chimera, 27k froststrike. No idea how much better I can play and not get globaled by a hunter :>

#18 Xandyn

Xandyn
  • Xandyn
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Frost 0/2/1/2/2/.

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:52 PM

View PostIcedbrisktea, on 16 January 2012 - 10:26 PM, said:

Twice longer ICD, way less intellect, so it's not the same at all :)

#19 misios

misios
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Destruction
  • LocationNorway

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:04 AM

one really good thing about the foul gift is that its excellent at winning openers with, you can for instance pop that trinket then invis and get rogues out of stelath with it
Posted Image

#20 Hackattack3

Hackattack3
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Darkspear
  • Cyclone
  • Talents: Destruction 1/2/0/1/0/0
  • 2v2: 1609
  • 3v3: 1792
  • RBG: 2050

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:01 PM

Great guide, thanks for putting this list together it has been very informative planning my mage.  For anyone not willing to raid or do anything above LFR (like me), it looks like way to go is:

Soul Casket (until Foul Gift drops) + valor belt + crafted bracers

For a cheaper off piece option, you could add the valor belt since it has mastery/hit
http://www.wowhead.com/item=77324

Question:  Assume you are just playing for weekly caps and picking up trade chat teammates.  Peels aren't going to be great.  What level of resil would you run with?

Edited by Hackattack3, 07 August 2012 - 03:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<