Arena Junkies was shut down on July 1st, 2018. You're viewing an archive of this page from 2018-06-26 at 00:34. Thank you all for your support! Please get in touch via the Curse help desk if you need any support using this archive.

Photo

In need of insight

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Xileh

Xileh
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Illidan
  • Cataclysme / Cataclysm
  • Talents: Protection

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:56 PM

Hey,

I'm going to build a new computer very soon (anywhere between now and march or april), and if you guys could give me your opinion on the things I chose I'd really appreciate it.

I've been getting A LOT of info out of this guide http://www.theverge....build-gaming-pc and out of the comments as well.

I'm willing to put between €1K and €1.2K

This is what they suggest and I agree with so far:
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K (feels mandatory)
Memory: 8GB Corsair Vengeance CL9 DDR3-1600 RAM
Storage: Samsung 64GB SSD 830 + WD Caviar Blue 500GB 7200RPM HDD (particularly excited about trying the SSD, the computer I'm using at the moment is 6 years old :D)

And this is what they suggest and where I could use your help:
Motherboard: Asus P8P67 Pro Rev 3.1
Power supply: Corsair Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX
Case: Fractal Design Core 3000

And for the GPU, I'm waiting, as advised by tons of people I read recently saying it will be the biggest upgrade in 2 years, for the new cards that should be out Q1 2012.

Basically, is the motherboard the best quality/price I can get for the i5-2500K?
What do you think about this power supply?
And the case, I frankly don't give a shit about how it looks, as long as it's functional. Any suggestions on other cases?

And finally, if the money allows it, I might change monitor.
I find those two pretty interesting, but can't really tell a difference between them.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16824236049
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16824236102
Main thing is I don't seem to find the first one available online in France, whereas the second is on amazon.

Thanks in advance!

#2 Moonies

Moonies
  • Moderators
  • Trollclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Elemental 1/0/0/0/2/2/0
  • 2v2: 957
  • 3v3: 2074
  • RBG: 192

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:15 PM

GREAT

#3 Nez

Nez
  • Junkies
  • Goblinclass_name
  • EU-Sunstrider
  • Blackout
  • Talents: Beast Mastery 1/0/0/2/2/.

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:27 PM

For the gpu, go with 560ti or 6950 for high end, if you want the best price/performance ratio go with 6850 or gtx 460. If you don't really care for maxing out games a 6770 is a really great gpu.

I'd suggest 128 gb samsung 830 ssd, mostly because you're going to fill that 60 gbs fast, really fast.

If you don't plan of using crossfire/sli down the line, you can just get a 500 watts psu, save some money.

#4 Bojjeshon

Bojjeshon
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Kazzak
  • Misery
  • Talents: Fire
  • RBG: 2269
  • Locationin room c:

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:34 PM

Get cheaper Memory sticks, psure G-skill Ripjaw is cheaper than vengeance.

The PSU is a tad overkill not to much but for a single GPU build you wont need 650w, it wont hurt anything but your wallet, and yes waiting for GTX 6xx or the RADEON HD 7xxx is a wise choice ;)

Motherboard is fine, personally I'd get a P8Z68-V /le/pro/deluxe. NZXT make awesoome chassi both looks and for cable managment, Phantom being my personal favorite for cable management and just building in. Antec makes great ones aswell, but thats not really important, w.e you think looks coolest/best is what you should get ;o

Im gona say like Moonies, its GREAT. All parts are be top notch.

#5 Xileh

Xileh
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Illidan
  • Cataclysme / Cataclysm
  • Talents: Protection

Posted 12 January 2012 - 04:35 PM

Thanks for the input so far, going to save a little money from the PSU and memory and try to get a bigger SSD then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users