Fearful
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Unholy
  • RBG: 1984

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:15 AM

What date do you have to be signed up by in order to be considered for the the qualification phase?

#42 Mageic

Mageic
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • US-Mannoroth
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Elemental
  • RBG: 192

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:42 AM

What date do you have to be signed up by in order to be considered for the the qualification phase?

We will be a picking the first set of teams next friday, and will finalize the final ones by the next friday.

#43 Nobadz

Nobadz
  • Junkies
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • US-Frostmourne
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Restoration 1/1/1/1/0/.

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:40 PM

When will we find out dates and times when this will be played? For those of us who have jobs ect.

Edited by Nobadz, 08 January 2012 - 11:40 PM.

#44 mukuld50

mukuld50
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • US-Magtheridon
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Elemental ./././././.
  • RBG: 2666

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:11 AM

When will we find out dates and times when this will be played? For those of us who have jobs ect.

As a rule of thumb, the tournaments will be held on Friday, Saturday, Sundays from 4 EST usually. I think you are Australian right? So whatever converted time that would be. We will be trying to play the qualifiers throughout the week as well, and since we are not streaming all of the qualifiers, to a certain extent, we can schedule them at convenient times/dates for the participating teams.

Edit: qualifiers starting on the 27th of January means that the actual tournament with 12 teams will probably be mid-February or so. Subject to change, obviously.

Edited by mukuld50, 09 January 2012 - 01:13 AM.

#45 mukuld50

mukuld50
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • US-Magtheridon
  • Ruin

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:07 PM

The Tournament phase will have 12 teams competing in group play. The 12 teams will be chosen as follows:

1) Top 4 teams from the previous Tournament.
2) 4 pre-invited teams who have shown amazing past results while playing a unique comp.
3) The top 4 teams from the qualification phase.

1) Pretty self-explanatory.

2) The pre-invited teams can include (but not limited to) well known players who have continuously performed well in tournaments/MLG/Blizzcon and its qualifiers etc. Also, it can include some team that we find has been performing exceptionally well on the ladders (even if they are "famous" players or not).

3) This where the ladder rankings come into play majorly. With 16 qualification spots, it opens up alot of room for us to make decisions as to what 16 teams to invite based on their ladder performance etc.

In the end, we have no formula for who we will invite to the qualification round based on ladder rating, battlegroup etc.. and it will be the NAO organizers determining the teams, however we will be keeping it as fair as possible.

#46 Aetarius

Aetarius
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Shadow 1/1/0/1/2/2/.
  • 2v2: 1974
  • 3v3: 2510
  • 5v5: 1936
  • RBG: 1970

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:02 PM

yo mr mugems, can u have a team with multiple comps (i.e 6 man roster) or is it only 3 players per team?
bruv

#47 mukuld50

mukuld50
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • US-Magtheridon
  • Ruin

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:34 PM

yo mr mugems, can u have a team with multiple comps (i.e 6 man roster) or is it only 3 players per team?

No - only 3 person teams. We may allow it so that those 3 people can multi-comp, I will get a definitive answer for you soon.

#48 Donald

Donald
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Shadow 1/2/0/2/2/1
  • RBG: 2511

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:17 AM

2) The pre-invited teams can include (but not limited to) well known players who have continuously performed well in tournaments/MLG/Blizzcon and its qualifiers etc. Also, it can include some team that we find has been performing exceptionally well on the ladders (even if they are "famous" players or not).

That doesn't seem 'by the players for the players.' That seems 'by professional players giving other professional players an unfair advantage.' Idc if they've gone to mlg or blizzcon, if they're that good, then they don't need an edge. Put them in the qualifier and have 8 qual spots.

1) and 3) make sense. Also, 4 man teams are allowed at pro tournaments if I'm not mistaken, would seem fine to allow them here.

Edited by Donald, 10 January 2012 - 12:23 AM.

Posted Image

#49 mukuld50

mukuld50
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • US-Magtheridon
  • Ruin

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:59 AM

That doesn't seem 'by the players for the players.' That seems 'by professional players giving other professional players an unfair advantage.' Idc if they've gone to mlg or blizzcon, if they're that good, then they don't need an edge. Put them in the qualifier and have 8 qual spots.

1) and 3) make sense. Also, 4 man teams are allowed at pro tournaments if I'm not mistaken, would seem fine to allow them here.

Takes a lot of organizational commitment to conduct a 32 person qualifying round with 8 qualifiers. Regardless, let me assure you that we will not hand out those top 4 spots like candy, and are definitely not giving some of the "overpowered" comps a bye from going through qualifiers.

Those 4 spots are mainly for underdog comps with good players or people from EU/Korea who have been showing interest, and could spice up the tournament immensely.

Edit: Trust me, we will not load up the 4 byes with a bunch of RMPs or RLS's with "our friends" if that is what you are trying to imply.

Edited by mukuld50, 10 January 2012 - 01:01 AM.

#50 Donald

Donald
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:51 AM

Takes a lot of organizational commitment to conduct a 32 person qualifying round with 8 qualifiers. Regardless, let me assure you that we will not hand out those top 4 spots like candy, and are definitely not giving some of the "overpowered" comps a bye from going through qualifiers.

Those 4 spots are mainly for underdog comps with good players or people from EU/Korea who have been showing interest, and could spice up the tournament immensely.

Edit: Trust me, we will not load up the 4 byes with a bunch of RMPs or RLS's with "our friends" if that is what you are trying to imply.

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't like the idea of a bye for this. If you're saying its unrealistic to not have one, I'll take you at your word because you would know (as an organizer). But if it could be avoided, then the tournament would be fairer to all the players involved.

Maybe you could explain why:
"Those 4 spots are mainly for underdog comps with good players or people from EU/Korea who have been showing interest, and could spice up the tournament immensely." - I'm not sure why they deserve this advantage.

While it does take a lot of organizational commitment to conduct a 32 person qualifying round with 8 qualifiers, I don't think theres any doubt that the bye is an advantage for those 4 teams, perhaps an unfair one.

All this criticism is requested and intended to be constructive, I believe. This tourny is already incredible, overall.

Edited by Donald, 10 January 2012 - 01:52 AM.

Posted Image

#51 exhausting

exhausting
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Eonar
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Guardian 2/1/2/1/2/2

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:05 PM

Don:

Thanks for both your respectful input and understanding in regards to the decisions made; they're both much appreciated.

One of the smaller reasons is that foreign teams are going to have to play at very odd times in order to even attend. The qualifiers will be very time consuming and keeping foreign teams on call with result in them pulling all-nighters, more than likely.

The primary reason is that they will add great entertainment value to the tournament because they are very skilled players that everyone will enjoy watching and the players will certainly enjoy playing against. If you think about it, they will be receiving the same treatment as teams that have proven themselves on the live ladders, with which I hope you can agree. Many people in the NAO tournament have never been to Blizzcon and would otherwise never be able to test their mettle against these foreign powerhouses. How else can we settle the EU versus US (and now versus KR) debate :)

But in all seriousness, if you can agree with the rule that top teams from the live ladder will be invited to the tournament, then you should be able to draw a parallel for the foreign teams. They aren't randoms or friends of the organizers. They are reputable players that have shown great success on other live versions of the game and will surely create an enjoyable experience for both competitors and viewers.

I hope this helps and good luck!

#52 Donald

Donald
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:52 PM

Don:

Thanks for both your respectful input and understanding in regards to the decisions made; they're both much appreciated.

One of the smaller reasons is that foreign teams are going to have to play at very odd times in order to even attend. The qualifiers will be very time consuming and keeping foreign teams on call with result in them pulling all-nighters, more than likely.

The primary reason is that they will add great entertainment value to the tournament because they are very skilled players that everyone will enjoy watching and the players will certainly enjoy playing against. If you think about it, they will be receiving the same treatment as teams that have proven themselves on the live ladders, with which I hope you can agree. Many people in the NAO tournament have never been to Blizzcon and would otherwise never be able to test their mettle against these foreign powerhouses. How else can we settle the EU versus US (and now versus KR) debate :)

But in all seriousness, if you can agree with the rule that top teams from the live ladder will be invited to the tournament, then you should be able to draw a parallel for the foreign teams. They aren't randoms or friends of the organizers. They are reputable players that have shown great success on other live versions of the game and will surely create an enjoyable experience for both competitors and viewers.

I hope this helps and good luck!

I don't want a circular argument, so tell me if you think you already addressed this:

Byes for the top 4 teams of the first tourny make sense, they performed well in a tourny with rigid rules. Byes for foreign superstars that can't schedule qualifying games makes sense (if they really can't schedule them). That's it, everyone else should have to qualify, and if they're given a pass that's a big advantage that they don't need or deserve.

Posted Image

#53 mukuld50

mukuld50
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • US-Magtheridon
  • Ruin

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:15 AM

Lets end this discussion here. Rules for THIS tournament will probably not change. The first tournament we organized, we essentially invited 8 teams on our own (so you could say we were giving people an advantage there).

The whole point of qualifiers actually opens up the tournament to a lot more people.

Your suggestions are appreciated, and we will definitely consider everything that has been mentioned to us for the third tournament, however changing rules may not be feasible for the second tournament.

Edited by mukuld50, 11 January 2012 - 01:37 AM.

#54 timbers512

timbers512
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: ./././././.

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:00 AM

i think warriors shud be able to run with Tentacle sword owait jk theyll still lose

#55 Donald

Donald
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:24 PM

i'm not going to say that this is the case or that this is how the rosters should be interpreted.

"yeah we're going to have snutz here, he gets to run RLS, all you other locks get to run lock, arcane mage, rdruid... cuz its unique..."

does that have any shade of truth, or no? seems like the odds are stacked for the cookie cutter comps.

edit: this is 100% intended to be a constructive question, i want this tourny to be as good as possible, yada yada

Edited by Donald, 14 January 2012 - 08:27 PM.

Posted Image

#56 Biotoxz

Biotoxz
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Unholy 0/0/1/0/0/2
  • RBG: 2451

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:45 PM

i'm not going to say that this is the case or that this is how the rosters should be interpreted.

"yeah we're going to have snutz here, he gets to run RLS, all you other locks get to run lock, arcane mage, rdruid... cuz its unique..."

does that have any shade of truth, or no? seems like the odds are stacked for the cookie cutter comps.

edit: this is 100% intended to be a constructive question, i want this tourny to be as good as possible, yada yada

No, we've said we don't want 10 of the same comp. We've told teams that if we have a ton of a certain comps applying the best will be chosen therefore unique comps will have a better chance of being chosen rather than someone running RLS when we have 10 wanting to play. Last I checked we only had 2 teams running RLS signup so it wouldn't be an issue for that comp.

#57 hearthadinlol

hearthadinlol
  • Kaska
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Restoration 0/2/1/1/0/0

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:18 AM

Hey i have a question , i have rank 1-2-3 on my bg , could i sign up on each charter for each toon? 3 charters 3 toons 3 different comps?
Posted Image

#58 Thricton

Thricton
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Emerald Dream
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Arcane 1/2/0/2/2/1/2
  • 2v2: 959
  • 3v3: 384
  • RBG: 384
  • LocationON, Canada

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:34 AM

Hey i have a question , i have rank 1-2-3 on my bg , could i sign up on each charter for each toon? 3 charters 3 toons 3 different comps?

You gonna dual box and fight yourself?

#59 hearthadinlol

hearthadinlol
  • Kaska
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Restoration 0/2/1/1/0/0

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:19 AM

dual box and farm you! jk , but no . would just hope i dont get placed vs my self =)?

i have my double mage iwant to sign up as and my LSP.
Posted Image

#60 cochonhalal

cochonhalal
  • Turnedlife
  • Premium Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Aegwynn
  • Blutdurst
  • Talents: Assassination 1/0/0/0/2/.

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:57 PM

get someone hosting this in EU

0 user(s) are reading this topic