• Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Blackrock
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Arms
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:09 AM

View PostTheoh, on 09 November 2011 - 03:24 AM, said:

this is probably just me but it seemed like old games were harder.

just for you :)

Posted Image

#22 berserker

berserker
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Blackrock
  • Bloodlust
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:48 AM

still enjoy playing this (its made by blizz btw :) )

Posted Image

#23 ROKMODE

ROKMODE

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:05 AM

newer games are generally designed to be much easier to appeal more to casuals.
This practice is especially common with games that originally only appealed to players who were determined enough to put a lot of time into a game to win. With newer games though, people are too lazy to actually put work into the game and expect instant gratification. Exs:
Melee to Brawl
Rainbow road getting easier each installment
Street Fighter 3 to Street Fighter 4
Halo Franchise
Call of Duty Franchise

Edited by ROKMODE, 09 November 2011 - 08:14 AM.

Expect bias in posts because
Wotlk is the best thing since sliced bread

#24 zephah

zephah
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Mug'thol
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Assassination

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:49 AM

intricate isn't always better

i seriously could load up any kirby/sonic game from any system before n64 though and have a fucking blast

i can't even redownload steam and i've made over $15,000 playing cs =\

#25 zephah

zephah
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Mug'thol
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Assassination

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:50 AM

View PostTrolltoe, on 09 November 2011 - 02:49 AM, said:

I also played Vanila WoW on priv realm last month and i Found the WoW graphics to be boring and horrible and same with game balance :D    vanila WoW and Cata diffrence is MAJOR... but you kinda dont notice it over those 6 years.

i agree with this so much though omg

#26 Buglamp

Buglamp
  • Members

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:53 AM

Different games are made to appeal to different people. Due to limitations old games were made under, being challenging was probably one of the few ways older games could hold anyone's interest. Their game play was extremely simple as were the graphics and even sound. Now, a game doesn't have to be challenging to be interesting. Some gamers will still have a preference for challenge, but they can still find games that suit their needs.

IMO old games are over romanticized, it's nostalgia. There's much more variety now, you have a lot of choices even in specific genres, and games are generally higher quality.

#27 Jewpaci

Jewpaci
  • Junkies

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:38 AM

Whatever it is, the amount of enjoyment I had on those games was 4x anything I've had since (excluding WoW arena at it's peak, which was actually similar to those games in many ways)

#28 Kekmoo

Kekmoo
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Discipline 1/1/0/1/2/1
  • 2v2: 2357
  • 3v3: 2733
  • 5v5: 192
  • RBG: 960
  • LocationEngland

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:11 AM

I still play original C&C every now and again, shits hard man or im just retarded

#29 berserker

berserker
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Blackrock
  • Bloodlust
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:15 AM

you want challenging games play fifa 12 on legendary fuckers
Posted Image

#30 Otaku

Otaku
  • Members
  • Locationaus

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:57 AM

ooo agreed =P damn you super mario! i could not beat you!

and diddy kong racing on n64 =P bah! could spend hours trying to beat a boss =P

edit - may not be old old school but they were games that still made it you "needed to beat" instead of be hand held through it.

but old old i remember terminator and a samus game on i think was either the atari or sega =P but i was to horrible at them =P
Posted Image

#31 Drye

Drye
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Blackrock
  • Glutsturm / Emberstorm
  • Talents: Retribution 1/0/0/2/2/0
  • RBG: 2176

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:30 AM

as im quite bored with wow atm, i installed doom3, max payne 2 and soldiers of fortune 2 yesterday/today. good old games. also played through serious sam again. cant find my zelda oot .. fml
Posted Image

#32 Thanatos

Thanatos
  • Members
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Khaz'goroth
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Restoration

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:47 AM

View PostROKMODE, on 09 November 2011 - 08:05 AM, said:

Street Fighter 3 to Street Fighter 4

Despite how huge the difference from pro players to casuals in those games, you're absolutely right . SF4 turned out alright even with some form of casualization though probably not casualization enough to sell well *see SF x Tekken's gem system dear god*

Also Street fighter 3: Third strike for life. Go get Third strike online off Playstation store or whatever for $15 it's worth it, all the features are made for the soon to be competitive player. *also GGPO is such an awesome netcode. Provided if you don't have shit internet*
ಠ_ಠ

Posted Image

#33 Duckers

Duckers
  • Moderators
  • Curse Premium
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Cho'gall
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Affliction
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:17 PM

View PostHoundus, on 09 November 2011 - 09:38 AM, said:

Whatever it is, the amount of enjoyment I had on those games was 4x anything I've had since (excluding WoW arena at it's peak, which was actually similar to those games in many ways)
Well yeah, me too. That being said, when I was playing those games I was 12 and not 22.

#34 Raux

Raux
  • Junkies
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • US-Gorgonnash
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Enhancement

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:41 PM

View PostROKMODE, on 09 November 2011 - 08:05 AM, said:

newer games are generally designed to be much easier to appeal more to casuals.

wrong as fuck. name 5 non-sequential games that came out before '95 that had more than 6 abilities, a non-linear game progression, or had ingame resource systems beyond health/mana and buttonmashing; off the top of your head.

let's put this in perspective to finally just fucking kill this argument off once and for all.
rewind 10-15 years back to childhood, you're in a room with an atari with pong loaded up on one side, and on the other a ps3/xbox/aWarePC with [insert any game that's come out in the past 6 months], which would you choose?

nostalgia is retarded.
i am #83

also i fucked a lesbian

also i fought a ninja in a bar and made him piss himself

raux

#35 ROKMODE

ROKMODE

Posted 09 November 2011 - 04:43 PM

View PostBuglamp, on 09 November 2011 - 08:53 AM, said:

Different games are made to appeal to different people. Due to limitations old games were made under, being challenging was probably one of the few ways older games could hold anyone's interest. Their game play was extremely simple as were the graphics and even sound. Now, a game doesn't have to be challenging to be interesting. Some gamers will still have a preference for challenge, but they can still find games that suit their needs.

IMO old games are over romanticized, it's nostalgia. There's much more variety now, you have a lot of choices even in specific genres, and games are generally higher quality.
This might be true, but I can name a bunch of series who used to be hard as shit, and that's what set players apart that now have sequels that my 5 year old sister could play. This is the one that disgusts me the most.
The newest sonic games: 06 and up (maybe not generations I dun have the game)
Sonic adventure 1/2 had some of the hardest tricks to do speed runs, and you actually had to know how to control your character. You also had way more freedom in those games, and there weren't invisible walls. The newest sonic games boil down to holding down one button for a super mega turbo boost and relentlessly running through shit. While appealing to casuals for many games is a good thing, there is a certain limit where you should just stop as you're no longer appealing to casuals but rather lazy as fk players who want instant gratification without having to actually put time in the game. This is mostly true for multiplayer games. This has been an issue with recent fpses and recent fighting games.
Expect bias in posts because
Wotlk is the best thing since sliced bread

#36 Buglamp

Buglamp
  • Members

Posted 09 November 2011 - 05:00 PM

Well now that gaming has become a pretty large industry, most companies are going to cater to the largest demographic. That's never going to be hardcore or old school gamers. You just have to find games made by companies that cater to the niche markets - which people who want challenge are, obviously.

#37 Bloodriot

Bloodriot
  • Members

Posted 09 November 2011 - 05:02 PM

zelda and fire emblem games are still the best by far
Posted Image

#38 kragathore

kragathore
  • Members
  • LocationNC

Posted 09 November 2011 - 05:05 PM

awww fuck yeah man Fire Emblem
Posted Image

"I'm not a Goddamn French Canadian"

#39 Kelustu

Kelustu
  • Members
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Rivendare
  • Emberstorm
  • Talents: Restoration

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:13 PM

View PostBloodriot, on 09 November 2011 - 05:02 PM, said:

zelda and fire emblem games are still the best by far

Everyone rep this man because my 1 lonely rep is not enough.

Also, I'm sad that the new fire emblem is not gonna come to NA, although the recent ones have seemed to be shitty.
Posted Image

#40 Kakio

Kakio
  • Members
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • EU-Khadgar
  • Reckoning / Abrechnung
  • Talents: Protection
  • LocationNorway ^^,

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:17 PM

Posted Image

^best game evar imo