Arena Junkies was shut down on July 1st, 2018. You're viewing an archive of this page from 2018-06-26 at 00:02. Thank you all for your support! Please get in touch via the Curse help desk if you need any support using this archive.

Photo

Best Frostmage Glyphs?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Thunderace

Thunderace
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Kel'Thuzad
  • Blutdurst
  • Talents: Discipline

Posted 07 October 2011 - 01:40 PM

Hey I came back to the game recently and I now have a new 85 mage, could anyone tell me what glyphs are best to use?

I can't decide which is better: Ice Barrier, Frost Nova, or Evocation -> Although I tend to think Evocation would be the best, followed by Ice Barrier?

Thanks

#2 skunks

skunks
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Illidan
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Frost
  • RBG: 2283

Posted 07 October 2011 - 01:58 PM

One of the many topics talking about mage glyphs:

http://www.arenajunk..._1#entry3501602

#3 Maticzor

Maticzor
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Skullcrusher
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Frost 0/2/0/2/2/2

Posted 07 October 2011 - 01:59 PM

ever thought of like... maybe... armory some top mages and see what they use?

#4 kannetixx

kannetixx
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Fire
  • RBG: 768
  • LocationFlorida yee

Posted 07 October 2011 - 02:53 PM

ever thought of like... maybe... armory some top mages and see what they use?

arenajunkies is used to discuss things like this ... dont put people away with that attitude -_-
US-Kel'Thuzad - Kannetix

http://www.anook.com/kannetix

www.twitch.tv/kannetix - Gladiator Mage Stream follow me and see when i go live!

#5 lewisyo_7140707

lewisyo_7140707
  • Lewisyo
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Arcane

Posted 07 October 2011 - 03:04 PM

http://eu.battle.net.../Lewisyo/simple this is my armory, i feel i use the best glyphs if you have any questions im more than happy to respond :-)b

#6 Maticzor

Maticzor
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Skullcrusher
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Frost 0/2/0/2/2/2

Posted 07 October 2011 - 03:19 PM

arenajunkies is used to discuss things like this ... dont put people away with that attitude -_-

well yeah, I'm just showing an easy way to find whats best glyphs to use (not to mention people already made topics about this and discussed it) >_>

#7 kannetixx

kannetixx
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • LocationFlorida yee

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:29 PM

while it may be easy for you in a sense someone who has never played a mage and wants to get some mage discussion going with actual mages is not going to find much from google.com or reposting old threads ..

remember when everyone was on a crit rant ? know how many mages went mastery and new mages would get directed to old useless threads that said STACK CRIT AND NOTHING ELSE and im not saying this is a bad idea but things change and what better way to keep up with current times than to make a thread simply asking a question to get new ideas?
US-Kel'Thuzad - Kannetix

www.twitch.tv/kannetix - Gladiator Mage Stream follow me and see when i go live!

#8 Thunderace

Thunderace
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Kel'Thuzad
  • Blutdurst

Posted 07 October 2011 - 05:04 PM

Thank you for all the helpfull responses :)!

p.s.

I of course looked up armory, but there are some mages using the "Glyph of Evocation" and some using the "Glyph of Shattered Barrier".

I just wanted to know what the pro's and con's are.

And yes I fully agree, AJ is about discussion and during the BC and WOTLK time the members would actually participate in a discussion.

Even in a thread like this a top #1 Mage might've listed all viable glyphs and wrote about the pro's and con's.

Now there's always some cool guy in every thread linking to "let me google that for you", or saying the question is unnecessary.

Maybe that's why barely any new threads are created on AJ at the moment, just saying.

#9 kannetixx

kannetixx
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • LocationFlorida yee

Posted 07 October 2011 - 05:19 PM

Thank you for all the helpfull responses :)!

p.s.

I of course looked up armory, but there are some mages using the "Glyph of Evocation" and some using the "Glyph of Shattered Barrier".

I just wanted to know what the pro's and con's are.

And yes I fully agree, AJ is about discussion and during the BC and WOTLK time the members would actually participate in a discussion.

Even in a thread like this a top #1 Mage might've listed all viable glyphs and wrote about the pro's and con's.

Now there's always some cool guy in every thread linking to "let me google that for you", or saying the question is unnecessary.

Maybe that's why barely any new threads are created on AJ at the moment, just saying.

Glyph of Evo vs Ice barrier

Evo ticks instantly the first time which can be pretty good if its that ONE small heal that helps you to stay alive ..

Ice barrier is nice and all but it simply does not do enough to take it over Evo - it adds maybe 4-6k more dmg absorb which means pretty much nothing because instead of something hitting you for 35k now its only doing 29-30k .. when being trained ice barrier is non existent just from pure damage / dispels

Shattered Barrier btw is a talent in the frost tree that snares anyone in a 10 yard radius for 8 seconds but it shares DR with CoC .. and CoC is an on use nova that you do not want to give up because it comes in really handy simply because you are in control of it - shattered barrier is seemingly random because it breaks when too much dmg is taken and snares even if you didnt want it to
US-Kel'Thuzad - Kannetix

#10 Thunderace

Thunderace
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Kel'Thuzad
  • Blutdurst

Posted 07 October 2011 - 06:28 PM

Cool thanks going with evo glyph then.
Frost Nova glyph isn't worth it, is it :)?

#11 bl00dlust

bl00dlust
  • Junkies

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:18 PM

Cool thanks going with evo glyph then.
Frost Nova glyph isn't worth it, is it :)?

no

#12 Latis

Latis
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Talnivarr
  • Reckoning / Abrechnung
  • Talents: Arcane

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:44 PM

Glyph of Evo vs Ice barrier

Evo ticks instantly the first time which can be pretty good if its that ONE small heal that helps you to stay alive ..

Ice barrier is nice and all but it simply does not do enough to take it over Evo - it adds maybe 4-6k more dmg absorb which means pretty much nothing because instead of something hitting you for 35k now its only doing 29-30k .. when being trained ice barrier is non existent just from pure damage / dispels

when you bring up this subject and focus on the situation where you are being trained, then i would like to ask how on earth you can come to the conclusion that an extra mitigation is worse than a small heal? when you are trained and lose its mostly because you run out of cooldowns, with higher mitigation you will run out of cooldowns slower and have more time to create that magical moment for the big mastery shatters. We are talking about min maxing here, so we can safely leave out the games where you stomp your opponents in a minute, its about the close games vs equally skilled teams and buying yourself space from extra mitigation will in a lot of situations be what makes your healer capable of healing through it instead of blocking, or giving him time to cc or add damage.

#13 Tyumbra

Tyumbra
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Illidan
  • Rampage
  • Talents:

Posted 08 October 2011 - 03:01 AM

when you bring up this subject and focus on the situation where you are being trained, then i would like to ask how on earth you can come to the conclusion that an extra mitigation is worse than a small heal? when you are trained and lose its mostly because you run out of cooldowns, with higher mitigation you will run out of cooldowns slower and have more time to create that magical moment for the big mastery shatters. We are talking about min maxing here, so we can safely leave out the games where you stomp your opponents in a minute, its about the close games vs equally skilled teams and buying yourself space from extra mitigation will in a lot of situations be what makes your healer capable of healing through it instead of blocking, or giving him time to cc or add damage.

Barrier vs. Evo is very situational. While additional absorb while being trained is always a good thing, you have to look at other circumstances also.

Pretend your healer just got CC'd behind a box. You have two melee on you and your partner just CC'd their healer. You can drop a nova and get behind the box where your healer is and start an Evocate - as soon as your healer comes out of the CC, he doesn't have to use much mana to top you off.

Or better yet (I think a lot of people have done this before), you drop the nova and then get a few feet away and start the evo right in front of them. They're rooted and can't interrupt you, your getting healed while your healer is about to come out of a CC, and as a result, you just saved an Iceblock.

Neither glyph is going to serve you wrong, but I personally prefer having an on-demand heal. I don't think people even use Evocate for mana much anymore.

#14 kannetixx

kannetixx
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • LocationFlorida yee

Posted 08 October 2011 - 03:38 AM

see tyu's explanation

there have been times where during RMP mirrors im at 17% health put up ice barrier it falls off -> nova the rogue let my rogue do what he can to the mage and i can evo a few ticks to make sure my priest can come out healing me and do what he does ..

the on demand heal is better in many many situations simply because it enables the game to go on further more so than ice barrier would

ice barrier absorb adds about what 4k absorb maybe 6k? not sure if the actual numbers

evo glyph ticks instantly for 13k

US-Kel'Thuzad - Kannetix

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users