[Blizzard] New PR/Matchmaking System - Blizzard Feedback: 5/16/08

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
115 replies to this topic

#1 Tyveris

Tyveris
  • Premium Junkies
  • Curse Premium

Posted 16 May 2008 - 07:27 PM

What are everyones thoughts on the pros/cons of the new rating system? Also, if you have noticed any bugs, or problem with how it is working, please elaborate here as well. Try to keep it focused and on topic as this thread will be summarized and sent to Blizzard.

#2 Viia

Viia
  • Junkies
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Restoration

Posted 16 May 2008 - 07:31 PM

So far this is what it's meant to me:

Pros:
Not having to play against point selling teams better than ours and losing.
Not as much point selling, boosting, win trading (though, it still occurs...) so when we lose now we blame it on lag, instead of the team being underrated.

Cons:
I can't sell points.
I can't jump teams as freely, and play with friends... of course this is actually more of result of the 100 PR gladiator/20% games requirement and not wanting to have to re-grind to 2200.

#3 untitled2jc

untitled2jc
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Warsong
  • Ruin
  • Talents:

Posted 16 May 2008 - 07:33 PM

Pros: The new system prevents both pointselling as well as win trading.

Cons: Alot of people who play this game just for arenas (which is a good portion of this site) are going to be extremely bored, especially early / mid s4 where theres no rush to have a high rating, I'll admit I did pointsell (not via wintrading) but I also hopped around teams to help get my real life friends and girlfriend points for the week when otherwise they wouldn't get any.  I think personally pointselling was fine, it helped me gear up my alts, helped me have an income, helped the economy by giving new 70's something to farm for so they could enjoy true PvP sooner.

Also the fact the system is either flawed or the fact they have changed the ammount of PR you get for a game seems weird? (start a new team level it to 1850 and your PR is like 1820 after playing all the games?) As well as a "cheap" way to farm the last few PR not so great players need you could have a person drop the team / rejoin so you face worse teams, even though a loss would be horrible losing to people in the 1600's is hard to do when you're a high 1900's player, unless you get someone doing the same thing/someone leveling a new team

Edit: also I believe this new change will skew the gladiator rankings alot due to the fact that people are only playing on one team for me, this is cut from down from 5-7 at any given week.

Man..that was long
Looking for DK and Ench Shaman for 5v5 (pally priest FOK rogue shaman dk)

Also Armory - Untz (Hunter Warsong), Kuzbang (Rogue) , Kuzlol (Upcoming Druid) Untz (Warlock),
Teams I Need:
Hunter: All set
Rogue: 2v2 3v3 5v5
Druid: 2v2 3v3, 5v5
Paladin: 2v2, 3v3 , 5v5
Message me in game or on any messenger if interested.
Xfire: untitled2jc Aim: untitled2jc

#4 proff

proff
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Mannoroth
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Affliction

Posted 16 May 2008 - 07:35 PM

Have PR stay with you on teams even if you leave them...maybe for 1 week or something. I enjoy playing with multiple friends and this now makes me have to wait for certain people to be on unless I want to play 1700s all day...

#5 Pudle

Pudle
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Dunemaul
  • Cyclone
  • Talents: Discipline

Posted 16 May 2008 - 07:36 PM

while i can see how some players would have a problem with pointselling this new system makes it basically impossible for players to team hop for fun. i like playing both with my geared/skilled friends and my friends that aren't very good but that is going to be ruined with this new system.

#6 Limewire

Limewire
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Cho'gall
  • Rampage
  • Talents:

proff said:

Have PR stay with you on teams even if you leave them...maybe for 1 week or something. I enjoy playing with multiple friends and this now makes me have to wait for certain people to be on unless I want to play 1700s all day...

This, I would actually prefer it to be permanent though.

#7 Giantdwarf

Giantdwarf

No thanks
Also, if the PR thing for queueing is gonna be 150, change the PR for team title/reward to 150 ._.
Having 3 people play on one 2v2, and 4-5 people on one 3v3 makes it retardedly difficult to keep everyone's PR balanced properly to make sure they get their PR in, and still have enough games. Because some nights you'll have to bring in one person because of the teams playing.
1-2 point wins aren't fun when you're trying to catch up someone's PR
Or allow people to have multiple 3v3/2v2 team PR, or straight up multiple 2v2/3v3 teams, or something like that

Though on another note, did play 15-16 point games last night in 5v5 even though my PR was a solid 600 points below the team rating >_>

#8 Fatalis2

Fatalis2
  • Members
  • Trollclass_name
  • US-Doomhammer
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Marksmanship

Posted 16 May 2008 - 07:38 PM

Pros is no wintrade etc

cons is you have to stay on one team which will then get boring stated by the user above, but even if you did wan't to switch teams you would have to start a brand new team everytime, which will suck if you wan't to play with all of your friends. Like for example my guild swaps teams every single day, this is going to get really boring :(

#9 HEnslaved

HEnslaved
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Laughing Skull
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Assassination

I hate it.

I play at a LAN Center where I work and have alot of people that I'd love to be bouncing around to and playing 2v2 with, but I can't because of the absurd system Blizzard implemented.  It punishes those who legitimately played with multiple partners, and robs your team of points if you try to bounce around and come back to your "real" team.

All they need to do to fix this is have PR saved to, say, 5 different teams.  Just doing that would allow legitimate players to bounce between teams and have a good time while also not allowing players to simply join a team, lose 3 games, and get points equivalent to the team's rating.

Point selling was fine in my opinion, but it most certainly took advantage of game mechanics and abused the arena system.  If Blizzard felt this abuse was worth fixing then that's fine, but don't punish those of us who simply like to play with different players occasionally.  I play alot more than any of my Arena partners, so I end up with alot of dead time when I could otherwise be playing.

#10 Teddymonster

Teddymonster

We can't teamhop as freely making it so there's no more "fun" teams and fun times i.e. playing with friends, helping guildies, playing weird comps, playing destro etc.  I feel stuck in cookie cutters just to make sure I get points and don't have to play 1500 teams for 1 rating.  Worst Arena change yet imo and my class has been nerfed dozens of times and its worse than every one of those nerfs by 10 fold.  I logged off and played counterstrike last night for the first time in a year.  PR changes+Meleecraft = losing interest.

#11 Nikuna

Nikuna
  • Junkies

Posted 16 May 2008 - 07:45 PM

Pros: It helps a bit against win trading. Say if you get 2 high rated teams and play against eachother, incase you meet a team that isn't the one you are win trading with you are going to lose a lot.

Also prevents selling teams/points, this can be seen as both good as bad. However the matchup change was not necesary for this, the personal rating for getting points change was enough.

Cons: Team swapping is just about impossible. Helping friends is just about impossible. The whole point of doing arena for fun is ruined, unless you wanna fight a ton of low rated teams(thereby also making it less fun for them) you have to stay in the same team.

#12 Fatalis2

Fatalis2
  • Members
  • Trollclass_name
  • US-Doomhammer
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Marksmanship

Posted 16 May 2008 - 07:48 PM

Fatalis2 said:

Pros is no wintrade etc

cons is you have to stay on one team which will then get boring stated by the user above, but even if you did wan't to switch teams you would have to start a brand new team everytime, which will suck if you wan't to play with all of your friends. Like for example my guild swaps teams every single day, this is going to get really boring :(

Id like to add

Cons: you can still beat the system by doing something similiar to wintrading by having a 2200 team and only getting 5 points per game since other players have a PR of 1500, so no team/hopping and still being able to beat it. lose/lose

#13 chucky

chucky
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents:

Posted 16 May 2008 - 07:53 PM

Not being able to change teams and play with other groups, try new comps, is a really big drawback.

Though I'm also very glad I don't have to face wintraders any more.

#14 Jroy

Jroy
  • Members
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Detheroc
  • Shadowburn

Posted 16 May 2008 - 07:58 PM

Not being able to bounce around teams really does suck, Looks like blizzard needs to put a bandaid on that.

The changes are good, just need to  "remember" your PR across more then 1 team.

#15 blackfoot

blackfoot
  • Members
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Spinebreaker
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Elemental

Posted 16 May 2008 - 08:02 PM

Blizzard needs to find a way to stop win trading and maybe point selling too but needs to figure out how to allow people to keep playing with their serious teams as well as their friends' teams. Now I can't play with my friends :( This game is much more boring now since I am often on but unable to play because I can't team hop to play with other people, forced to wait for the once a week games that I get with my serious team.
It is hard to stay mad when there is so much beauty in the world.
Posted Image

#16 Kaat

Kaat
  • Members
  • Worgenclass_name
  • US-Kilrogg
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Discipline

Posted 16 May 2008 - 08:11 PM

I dont see why you ever should lose your personal. If you are in a 2200 rated team and drop to play in a friends 1600 team, you should keep your 2200 and be qued through the matchmaking system at an average of your personal ratings (1900 in this case). Personal rating would then be given to the two players based on a 1900 win (16-19 pts for the 1600 rated player and 4-6 pts for the 2200 player). The team would increase at its regular level (16-19 pts for beating a 1900 team at 1600).

This would level the lower players personal at the same rate as his team while the matchmaking system is placing him against teams rating much higher than his own, though he has help from an even higher rated player. I think that being forced to play games at the 1900 level as a 1600 player and the difference in points won/lost vs. the old system where the 2200 player would have 1500 personal in the team, which would play at the 1600 level and give the 1600 player the usual amount of points per win/loss, is a fair trade off. And the 2200 player keeps his personal should he bounce back to his former team. This would also allow him to build personal rating from wins in the lower brackets (though each point win would be low for him and the losses would be costly).

My 2 cents.

#17 Superior

Superior
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Haomarush
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents:

Posted 16 May 2008 - 08:19 PM

Really bad change imo.

Sure it will make team selling harder, but at what cost?

Basically you are forcing players to sit in one team for the whole season unless you wanna play 200 games to get your personal rating up. For ever team swap there will be at least 50 low rated players getting really owned, just because people want to get their PR back up.

So the effects are:
1) Harder to sell teams
2) No team bouncing, which can be really fun. I like playing with different people and different combs to test stuff out.
3) There will be even more whine on forums about low rated players being faced against full s3. And this is not the s3 players fault. They are forced to do this grind because of this change.

#18 Adyx

Adyx
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Ravencrest
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • RBG: 2462

Posted 16 May 2008 - 08:21 PM

We just lost a really close game, 23 points down, but lost 43 person rating from it... wtf. Queue was like 10 minutes, but team is 2050... WTF

#19 inhume

inhume
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Eredar
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Combat

Posted 16 May 2008 - 08:21 PM

The inability for the high ranking players to team hop is good and bad for the system.  Its good in the fact that it helps out the lower brackets compete more at their level instead of at a higher level a lot of the time due to team hopping. Its bad in the fact that once players reach the gear that most of the high ranking players reach 2 months into the season, they lose incentive to keep playing.  I mean the only real reasons to keep playing after that point is the last month of the season to push for titles.

I mean the new system isn't going to stop the high end players from making new teams with different comps halfway through the season. I mean the only real reasons to keep playing after that point is the last month of the season to push for titles.

What reason are you going to give the high end players to compete for rankings halfway through the season?  My suggestion would be putting epic gems or some high end trinkets on the vendors with high team rating/personal rating required.  Like 2400 for gems and 2500 for trinket. I mean there has to be a better way to differeniate teams than just 2200 shoulders.

Edited by inhume, 16 May 2008 - 08:24 PM.

#20 Nikuna

Nikuna
  • Junkies

Posted 16 May 2008 - 08:26 PM

inhume said:

The inability for the high ranking players to team hop is good and bad for the system.  Its good in the fact that it helps out the lower brackets compete more at their level instead of at a higher level a lot of the time due to team hopping. Its bad in the fact that once players reach the gear that most of the high ranking players reach 2 months into the season, they lose incentive to keep playing.  I mean the only real reasons to keep playing after that point is the last month of the season to push for titles.

I mean the new system isn't going to stop the high end players from making new teams with different comps halfway through the season. I mean the only real reasons to keep playing after that point is the last month of the season to push for titles.

What reason are you going to give the high end players to compete for rankings halfway through the season?  My suggestion would be putting epic gems or some high end trinkets on the vendors with high team rating/personal rating required.  Like 2400 for gems and 2500 for trinket. I mean there has to be a better way to differeniate teams than just 2200 shoulders.

That would not fix anything. It would still make us unable to play with friends, which would lead us to being bored with the game again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<