Arena Junkies was shut down on July 1st, 2018. You're viewing an archive of this page from 2018-06-26 at 00:02. Thank you all for your support! Please get in touch via the Curse help desk if you need any support using this archive.

Photo

Coaching an RLS

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 badpractice

badpractice
  • Members

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:02 AM

I'm the warlock in an RLS.

What should I be looking for when we switch?

How often should we switch?

Should I expect a kill in a switch?

How quickly should a match end in a win?

Do switches to peel generally show signs of us failing or a loss of our pressure?

#2 skunks

skunks
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Illidan
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Frost
  • RBG: 2283

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:46 AM

Force a trinket out of something, then switch to it.

#3 Endedlife

Endedlife
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Korgath
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Subtlety

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:30 AM

Force a trinket out of something, then switch to it.

oversimplification, the op asked the exact questions that only experience in arena can answer

#4 badpractice

badpractice
  • Members

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:23 AM

The trinket advice is what I'm looking for. Thank you. +rep for you.

How do we swap in response to defensive cooldowns? Off the target then back on when it's over? Or just leave the target low and ride a new one?

Or can my simple brain not handle that without more experience...

condescending faggot.

#5 skunks

skunks
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Illidan
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Frost
  • RBG: 2283

Posted 31 August 2011 - 03:15 AM

The trinket advice is what I'm looking for. Thank you. +rep for you.

How do we swap in response to defensive cooldowns? Off the target then back on when it's over? Or just leave the target low and ride a new one?

Or can my simple brain not handle that without more experience...

condescending faggot.

Sorry I know this is old as hell, but forcing serious cooldowns (defensives in particular) and trinkets shouldn't be hard with the raw constant damage and cc RLS brings to the table. In my opinion there are a few cooldowns that call for an immediate switch off that target. I would say pain sup, Shield Wall, ice block, deterrence, and AMS (not that these are all of them, but you get the idea) call for an immediate switch off that target onto either the other dps or their healer. Many times when something is de'd up their team is trying to peel and going super defensive. In my opinion, having two targets at 40-50% is better than dumping damage into a target at 20% with defensives up. Chances are the target that is de'd up will get topped off if you keep training them and that gives the other team the chance to turn the momentum in their favor. One of the best things you can do is learn as much as you can about other classes. Learn their cooldowns offensive and defensive, and things they need to accomplish when fighting you. As far as swapping back to them after defensives are down, it's really a judgement call. If they are looking for that, it may be easier for their healer to heal that target expecting you to train them. Remember forcing trinkets make them very susceptible to CC and a switch.

Edited by tonez, 31 August 2011 - 03:16 AM.

#6 Evolute

Evolute
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Restoration 0/2/0/1/0/0/0
  • 2v2: 2447
  • 3v3: 2709
  • 5v5: 576
  • RBG: 1653
  • LocationCanada

Posted 31 August 2011 - 03:33 AM

RLS is all about switches. You should just swap to whatever you want really with the ability to kill anything in a kidneyshot or so. Forcing trinkets is really really easy with fear, hex, blind, sap, etc.

RLS is all about making the other team fall behind. Between kick, cs, shock, fears, smokebomb, coil.. there's just so much you can do to make it so that the healer simply can't cast. Once you can get the momentum on your side it's really hard for the other team to catch up to the point that one swap to a healer when he has no trinket and his other teammates are taking a lot of damage can end the game in about 7 seconds.

With warlocks you have the luxury of being on whatever the fuck you want while rogues pump out extreme amount of damage really quickly. If something pops a cooldown you can literally just swap off it, expecting it to be topped, and create more pressure.

The beauty of RLS is that it's so easy to transition to peeling for your shaman or whatever into becoming offensive. With disarm and howl you can just have 2 gcds to 'peel' and then you can full kidney something with dots and suddenly THEY'RE on the defensive again.

You should be swapping whenever you feel like it. Look at where people are, think about what cooldowns they have, if you have kidney up or not.. it's really easy to just sdance on someone with dots and kill them if they have 0 cooldowns.

Posted Image

#7 Jrmint

Jrmint
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents:

Posted 01 September 2011 - 05:16 AM

Thanks for these comments guys. My friends and I are all coming back to wow after not playing since TBC and will all be rolling new classes to play RLS. This is a comp we have never played before and any insight is nice to have. Obviously just playing the comp is the best way to learn, but not going in blind is always good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users