Frost DW V Frost2h/UH

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#41 Papajonpizza

Papajonpizza
  • Members
  • LocationMiami

Posted 26 July 2011 - 02:32 PM

this is what I will run on wednesday when I get my t1 DW weapons (going for Masses btw, don't like how the other ones look!)

http://www.wowhead.c...0hZGhRrfzRdczfM

#42 Ragelog

Ragelog
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Destruction

Posted 26 July 2011 - 02:37 PM

this is what I will run on wednesday when I get my t1 DW weapons (going for Masses btw, don't like how the other ones look!)

http://www.wowhead.c...0hZGhRrfzRdczfM

That's the spec my DK has. Which glyph are you using instead of the obliterate one for a Prime?

#43 Papajonpizza

Papajonpizza
  • Members
  • LocationMiami

Posted 26 July 2011 - 02:44 PM

probably Icy Touch for increased damage with my DoTs (and that works well with my AoE damage in my comp)

#44 Kryye

Kryye
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Blood Furnace
  • Retaliation
  • Talents: Shadow

Posted 26 July 2011 - 06:04 PM

Icy Touch glyph comes out to be about 30 dps per resil target. I'm going to use the death coil glyph instead because it heals for 2K more and does about 300 more damage on a resil target. I use death coil quite often when I'm getting kited for lack of anything else to use and because it has a chance to refresh runes for howling blast.

Official Blizzard Quote:

Even the amount that PVP can alter the PVE game in WoW is unacceptable to us. Whenever we run into a case of 'this would be really awesome for PVE' but then the PVP guy says 'that kind of screws us in PVP' the answer is always 'SHUT UP PVP GUY, it's awesome in PVE so that's what we're doing!'

#45 Ragelog

Ragelog
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall

Posted 26 July 2011 - 06:16 PM

Icy Touch glyph comes out to be about 30 dps per resil target. I'm going to use the death coil glyph instead because it heals for 2K more and does about 300 more damage on a resil target. I use death coil quite often when I'm getting kited for lack of anything else to use and because it has a chance to refresh runes for howling blast.

I have gone with the Death Coil glyph as well. I hope to have my 2 T1's tonight and will try to do a little testing with them then return them and buy the 2 hander and compare. Pretty sure I'm going to go with DW when it's all said and done.

#46 Papajonpizza

Papajonpizza
  • Members
  • LocationMiami

Posted 26 July 2011 - 07:20 PM

I was considering Glyph of Death Coil, but 30dps, are you sure?

my Frost Fever already hits for about 800 without any procs or trinkets, so 20% of that would be 160 additional dps.

#47 Ragelog

Ragelog
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall

Posted 26 July 2011 - 07:31 PM

I was considering Glyph of Death Coil, but 30dps, are you sure?

my Frost Fever already hits for about 800 without any procs or trinkets, so 20% of that would be 160 additional dps.

160 dps would be if it ticked every second. However it ticks every 3 roughly so 160/3=53.33 DPS Pretty weak overall. This is using your numbers of 800 per tick on im guessing a resil target.

Edited by Ragelog, 26 July 2011 - 07:32 PM.

#48 Notarztin

Notarztin
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Aegwynn
  • Blutdurst
  • Talents: Frost

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:04 PM

Note: The reason the dps is so low is because I stopped attacking and frost fever keeps ticking.

http://i73.photobuck...omas/DWVS2H.png

2:20 DPS tests with T1 weapons, started off with pillar/trinket and ended with pillar/trinket. I prioritized HB for DW and NS for 2H, and used every death rune on the respective ability. I prioritized KM FS > rune attacks > FS.

DW did 207K more damage. My necrotic strike absorbs 8500. 8500 times the 24 extra necrotic strikes as 2H equals 204K absorb. Pillar/Trinket NS absorbs 12K, though I'm not sure how many I used during the cooldown period(Should have looked at the absorb total at the end). It looks like single target pressure is roughly the same, it just depends on whether you want to do actual damage or put up an absorb that slows casting speed. One thing to consider though, every howling blast does aoe damage if multiple targets are present, which leads to silly things like consistently doubling everybody else's damage(at least at lower ratings, I haven't played my DK past 2200):

http://i73.photobuck...eThomas/DW2.png

http://i73.photobuck...Thomas/DW-5.png

http://i73.photobuck...eThomas/DW6.png

http://i73.photobuck...eThomas/DW7.png

EDIT: DW is also stupid burst with KM procs back to back five times in a row all over the place. And HB can't be dodged, blocked, or parried.

Did you thought about the pure damage ns does? Including this and the fact you had higher absorbs during trinkets, should put ns ahead.
Desecration on necrotic strike is insane. The opposing team is gonna feel like they are playing in tsjernobyl.

#49 Papajonpizza

Papajonpizza
  • Members
  • LocationMiami

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:51 PM

yeah about 800 on 4k resil

#50 Kryye

Kryye
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Blood Furnace
  • Retaliation
  • Talents: Shadow

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:36 AM

Did you thought about the pure damage ns does? Including this and the fact you had higher absorbs during trinkets, should put ns ahead.

The physical damage is included in the total damage done. The absorbs are higher, but it's not actual damage so the healer could get away at low health and let the stacks fall off whereas HB spam might have finished him off.

yeah about 800 on 4k resil

In full 371 gear with STR and str/mastery gems my frost fever is ticking for 1040 on the target dummy. I've been using the increased disease duration talent instead of the increased disease damage talent, I think I'm going to give the disease damage a shot. It should make it a lot easier for me to get off dark sim'd polymorphs on healers that happened to be in range of HB at some point.

EDIT: But yeah, the glyph damage is very negligible because the diseases tick every 3 seconds.

Edited by Kryye, 27 July 2011 - 02:37 AM.

Official Blizzard Quote:

Even the amount that PVP can alter the PVE game in WoW is unacceptable to us. Whenever we run into a case of 'this would be really awesome for PVE' but then the PVP guy says 'that kind of screws us in PVP' the answer is always 'SHUT UP PVP GUY, it's awesome in PVE so that's what we're doing!'

#51 Papajonpizza

Papajonpizza
  • Members
  • LocationMiami

Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:18 AM

I mean it really depends on the comp you play.

But let's say with the glyph you hit for 150 more every tick, that's 450 on three targets every 3 seconds. Almost all game long (I mean I play with a Lock so it doesn't matter if I stack my damage everywhere, in fact, I'd rather do and that's why I think DW will fit my comp better than 2H)

Now I'm not saying the Glyph of Death Coil isn't great for Lichborne healing, but for DC damage in Frost spec, what does that really represent? 15% of what, maybe 3.5-4k grand maximum on a full resil target? And how often do you really use DC as damage? I mean, I prefer stacking up RP and unleashing it all at once with FS when I get the chance. Maybe an occasional DC here and there to avoid wasting some RP once you're at 130, but overall I would say an additional 450 damage every 3 seconds might be worth it (assuming you can stack your Frost Fever on every target before the disease wears off).

#52 Ruxxe

Ruxxe
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Drak'thul
  • Reckoning / Abrechnung
  • Talents: Shadow 1/1/0/1/1/0
  • 2v2: 1498
  • 3v3: 959
  • RBG: 1528

Posted 27 July 2011 - 04:07 AM

pff prefer 2h frost

#53 Open

Open
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Subtlety

Posted 27 July 2011 - 04:17 AM

Both specs are pretty strong. Just play whatever you find more fun.

But if you're going frost, you should dual wield.

I agree, I have ran DW with my T2 vicious weapons and have to say the damage and pressure is there.
I give DW frost a thumbs up. it has encouraged me to get DW ruthless weapons since my vicious weapons work so well i expect much better results with S10 weapons.

Also you get more mastery due to the fact that nerves of cold steel grant you 3% hit. Which means more mastery = more damage.

Playing SP/DK/Druid which really is a balanced comp, we have to work our butts off for every win. I manage to drop any target on my on when my priest is getting pressured and once he fears and focus dps's its all over.

Of course like someone else said. if you ever decide to play UH you will be crippled by the fact that you have no 2 hander.

#54 Papajonpizza

Papajonpizza
  • Members
  • LocationMiami

Posted 27 July 2011 - 04:24 AM

But seeing how far the conquest point cap has increased... Getting 3300 points a week definitely helps this decision making.

#55 Ragelog

Ragelog
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall

Posted 27 July 2011 - 05:23 AM

I went with my T1 DW weaps on my DK loving it do far.

#56 nikeyla

nikeyla
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Discipline 0/2/1/1/2/2
  • RBG: 2104

Posted 27 July 2011 - 07:56 AM

Few days ago i tried 2s with my priest and we met pala+frost dk few times, after that we quit. That frost dk had pvp gear and 2 firelands axes hitting me by frost strikes for 25-35k crit main hand 10k hit offhand. I can't imagine how retarded it would be if also offhand critted, 45k+ crits to full geared priest with -20% dmg income from talents? It was when he poped cds,but tell me that this isnt retarded when he can do 3-4 this strikes in 4 seconds of stun while also immune to any cc. Maybe this will help you decide.
And yes i'm serious,nothing exaggerated.
Posted Image

#57 noeqx

noeqx
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Ravencrest
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Arms 2/0/1/0/0/2/0
  • 2v2: 288

Posted 27 July 2011 - 12:35 PM

dw rly that much better? i just leveled up my dk and started gearing him up, bought the 2h wep tho instead of 2 1h'ers

zzz stupid me then

#58 Ragelog

Ragelog
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall

Posted 27 July 2011 - 12:50 PM

Few days ago i tried 2s with my priest and we met pala+frost dk few times, after that we quit. That frost dk had pvp gear and 2 firelands axes hitting me by frost strikes for 25-35k crit main hand 10k hit offhand. I can't imagine how retarded it would be if also offhand critted, 45k+ crits to full geared priest with -20% dmg income from talents? It was when he poped cds,but tell me that this isnt retarded when he can do 3-4 this strikes in 4 seconds of stun while also immune to any cc. Maybe this will help you decide.
And yes i'm serious,nothing exaggerated.

There is no way unless you were wearing negative resilience you were getting hit that hard. With 5 stack razorice, fallen crusader proc, on use pvp trinket, pillar of frost, t stack proc of apparatus and T1 ruthless weaps I cant hit the training dummy for more then 43.5k combined mainhand off hand. At times it can take as much as 30 seconds to get all these up.

#59 Boltz

Boltz
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Drenden
  • Emberstorm
  • Talents: Guardian 0/0/2/1/2/0
  • RBG: 2271

Posted 27 July 2011 - 01:00 PM

Regarding the choice of glyphs between icy touch and deathcoil, it's icy touch hands down. In a long RBG where I topped damage, frost fever was about 20% of it just from splash damage. While it's negligible damage on a single target, it REALLY adds up as it rolls for 20 seconds on everybody and adds a lot of pressure to the team. And really, how often do you use death coil? That's a ton of runic power to waste.

edit: To clear up some confusion, when I said "icy touch" above, I mean the glyph of icy touch, which boosts frost fever damage.

Edited by Boltz, 27 July 2011 - 10:03 PM.

#60 TomAlek

TomAlek
  • Members

Posted 27 July 2011 - 01:16 PM

And really, how often do you use death coil? That's a ton of runic power to waste.

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=51462/runic-corruption
+
http://www.wowhead.com/spell=81229

What the hell man?

Edited by TomAlek, 27 July 2011 - 01:18 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<