• Curse Sites
Help

WoW Lost 600k Subscribers

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#61 Vizeverza

Vizeverza

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:03 PM

Why would their stakeholders begin to shudder when their net income and revenue went upnot down?

The company as a whole is doing fine, they will continue to do fine

http://www.washingto...a1aG_story.html

#62 Evolute

Evolute
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Restoration 0/2/0/1/0/0
  • RBG: 192
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:17 PM

Remember that Rift also came out, so these numbers are from a time where

a) subscriber base was taken away
B) pve content is all cleared and everyones waiting on 4.2 and
c) pvp season is about to end

Some more likely estimates put the number closer to 900k.

theyre not going to spin numbers like that: also, if it was 300k more, they still have over 11 million

Edited by Apostles, 10 May 2011 - 09:19 PM.

Posted Image

#63 bighandxyz

bighandxyz
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Fenris
  • Whirlwind
  • Talents: Blood 0/2/0/0/1/0
  • RBG: 2041

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:49 PM

View PostVoksen, on 10 May 2011 - 07:46 PM, said:

I bet Blizzard has lost more than 600k.  Of course its in their interest to come clean and go public with such figures for their stakeholders (=/= shareholders btw).  Like any business however, there are umpteen ways to fudge the reports, utilize technicalities, and just outright spin the number down to something much more 'manageable'.  

Negative momentum is detrimental in polictics, polls, FOTMs and of course in business.  When you have a small exodus on your hands, its best to downlplay it as much as possible.

Some more likely estimates put the number closer to 900k.
"some more likely estimates"

I just laughed. What possible methods could you use as "estimate" if you don't have inside knowledge.

Its usually not smart for business to spring their numbers to fool their stakeholders, especially when their methods of determining what counts as subscribers are so clearly stated. It would be fraud

Edited by bighandxyz, 10 May 2011 - 09:51 PM.

#64 Hydroz

Hydroz
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Cho'gall
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Restoration

Posted 11 May 2011 - 02:31 AM

D3 beta in quarter 3 who cares about wow anymore :D

#65 Ispen

Ispen
  • Members
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • EU-Frostwhisper
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Subtlety

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:05 AM

Pretty sure a tiny bit of those are pvpers but the current state of the game is a joke.
It reached a point where you either play plate, counterstrike style hit the guy you can hit until he dies to unhealable damage or you try to play something with a resto shaman.
Anything else you get frustrated by losing to worse players on regular basis.

Now you may think 600k is insignificant but remember, this is a product that showed  profit every year.
Almost all of my friends login to the game, jump in Durotar or whatever, can't find anything to do and log off. These people, including myself, are logging in strictly out of habit and we are very close to quitting. It's reasonable to assume that a lot of people are in the same spot, so wow is due to lose many more.

#66 Watlok

Watlok
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kil'jaeden
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Arcane

Posted 11 May 2011 - 03:51 PM

There's a lot of pve players in those numbers.  Most casual pvers are not happy with Cataclysm.  The entry level raid tier is too difficult for the average player compared to ToC/ICC last expansion.  Ulduar was acceptable because the ilvls were similar to naxx and the first few bosses were free, but if you've ever tried to watch someone from the real world attempt to beat the first few bosses of blackwing you'd instantly understand where the unsubs came from.

I'm sure some are pvpers because the state of the pvp game is why I unsubbed months ago.

Edited by Watlok, 11 May 2011 - 03:52 PM.

#67 KennyEU

KennyEU
  • Premium Junkies
  • Curse Premium
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • EU-Grim Batol
  • Misery
  • Talents: Marksmanship
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:00 PM

View PostWatlok, on 11 May 2011 - 03:51 PM, said:

if you've ever tried to watch someone from the real world attempt to beat the first few bosses of blackwing you'd instantly understand where the unsubs came from.

Rofl :D PvE is easy as fuck still atm, we cleared it all at the start of the expansion with a group of PvPers..

I can imagine though, knowing the braindead majority playing this game.

#68 Vidon

Vidon
  • Members
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Gorgonnash
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Affliction

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:00 AM

The game became stale as hell.  I used to be psyched to get home log on and do something whether it was arena, bgs, griefing the enemy faction, or just talking with friends.  With cataclysm playing arena wasn't fun.  We would win a match and my reaction would just be mehhhh queue up again.  Unsubscribed a few patches ago and I very rarely think about the game at all, let alone want to actually log on and play.

In all honesty I'm not surprised they are losing subscriptions.  If a devoted player like me loses interest in the game then Im sure Joe Average is going to lose interest as well.

This really should give blizzard a good shake and get them to rethink how much effort they put into the game.

A quick look at blizzards current crappy gear and art vs a free games should be a good indication to their laziness:

http://media.mmo-cha...p.jpg  blizzard

http://www.fearlessg...ash_4.jpg  riot

The druid helm looks like its got one of those mustaches people draw on paintings as jokes.  While Lord Mordekaiser looks like a BAMF

Edited by Vidon, 12 May 2011 - 09:02 AM.

View PostbIlliAn, on 09 March 2011 - 02:31 AM, said:

I play with myself at the gym.

#69 Zandire

Zandire
  • Junkies
  • Taurenclass_name
  • EU-Vashj
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Restoration

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:10 AM

View PostVidon, on 12 May 2011 - 09:00 AM, said:

A quick look at blizzards current crappy gear and art vs a free games should be a good indication to their laziness:

http://media.mmo-cha...idtier12wip.jpg blizzard

http://www.fearlessg...er_Splash_4.jpg riot

I agree with your post but this comparison is a bit shitty ;<
17:53:22 < holypalaswe> Those who thinks I'm bad is either below 2.4k rating or someone who have only lost to me. :)

Baksteen said:

I don't really need to defend Sunz because everyone knows hes a top player

#70 Vidon

Vidon
  • Members
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Gorgonnash
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Affliction

Posted 13 May 2011 - 03:02 AM

View PostZandire, on 12 May 2011 - 09:10 AM, said:

I agree with your post but this comparison is a bit shitty ;<
Ive been playing League of Legends and I gotta say they come out with some pretty cool looking heros.  Free fun game thats balanced around pvp.  Its easier said than done im sure but is it really that hard to make cool looking armor?  Its pretty hard to go wrong with dark colors and big spikes like riot did with morde  :lol:

View PostbIlliAn, on 09 March 2011 - 02:31 AM, said:

I play with myself at the gym.

#71 Blacksheezy

Blacksheezy
  • Junkies
  • Worgenclass_name
  • US-Whisperwind
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Blood

Posted 13 May 2011 - 11:12 AM

I play an FPS/RTS if I want something truly competitive. There's nothing better than people crying about you "hacking" because they have the reaction times of a retarded four year old.

WoW is something you play for the lols. If you take the game for what it is, you can actually enjoy it a lot more.
Plz to has more green squares.

Also, looking for a holy paladin for 3s. Hit me up!

#72 Navariumx

Navariumx
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • EU-Skullcrusher
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Retribution
  • RBG: 1775
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 13 May 2011 - 11:44 AM

The archaeology bot banwave got a lot :D

View PostBlackafrican, on 23 May 2011 - 05:45 PM, said:

I think you guys need to realize that shamans are not the problem, and are probably less powerful than you think.

#73 Midna

Midna
  • Premium Junkies
  • Curse Premium
  • Trollclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Holy

Posted 13 May 2011 - 05:13 PM

View PostVidon, on 12 May 2011 - 09:00 AM, said:

The game became stale as hell.  I used to be psyched to get home log on and do something whether it was arena, bgs, griefing the enemy faction, or just talking with friends.  With cataclysm playing arena wasn't fun.

This
WARNING: YOU ARE NOW BREATHING AND BLINKING MANUALLY

#74 Shakedown

Shakedown
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Burning Legion
  • Vindication
  • Talents: ./././././.

Posted 13 May 2011 - 06:39 PM

It's weird but my arena enjoyment has spiraled down since bc, and it's not even balance issues or anything like that, its just not as fresh and exciting anymore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<