Arena Junkies was shut down on July 1st, 2018. You're viewing an archive of this page from 2018-06-25 at 23:01. Thank you all for your support! Please get in touch via the Curse help desk if you need any support using this archive.

Photo

Is WoW dying?

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#41 Naatzors

Naatzors
  • Premium Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Haomarush
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Feral Combat
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 22 April 2011 - 12:02 AM

The Hydramist website is due for a re-launch anytime soon at least.

It was 3 weeks ago

:(

it better be good! :P
Posted Image

#42 Calx

Calx
  • Junkies
  • Goblinclass_name
  • US-Blackrock
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Restoration

Posted 22 April 2011 - 12:03 AM

pretty sure their number of subs isn't growing anymore

if not, then i'm sure the net gain of subscriptions is not going up

barring that, i'm sure the rate of growth for wow subscriptions is not going up

there is absolutely no way that this game is as popular as it used to be.

#43 dorout1

dorout1
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Frostmane
  • Reckoning
  • Talents: Subtlety

Posted 22 April 2011 - 01:35 AM

Is WoW dieing? No.

Is arena dieing? Perhaps, but this is blizzards fault because arena is completely stagnant for over half a season every season.

Well said sir.

#44 Spectrex

Spectrex
  • Danyphantom
  • Junkies
  • Goblinclass_name
  • US-Illidan
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Shadow

Posted 22 April 2011 - 02:06 AM

sig test
--(Patch 4.0.6)--

no but srsly, how do you manage to be that bad at a warrior? it's the easiest class in the game, and somehow you manage to stay at a solid 2400.

I think it's widely agreed that shadowpriests are the easiest, and as equally overpowered.
You heard it, nerf SPriests buff Warriors.

#45 dame

dame

Posted 22 April 2011 - 02:38 AM

someone should teach me how to star craft
AJ's Wall of Tough Guy

Anyone bitching about how they nerfed getting 40 FUCKING PERCENT FROM A SINGLE BG, is a fucking idiot.

You bought the game, you will have plenty of time to do bgs, do your fucking quests and see the content.

You fucking dumb

#46 Mavrei

Mavrei
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Black Dragonflight
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Restoration 2/0/0/0/1/2/0
  • 2v2: 1047
  • 3v3: 1771
  • RBG: 768

Posted 22 April 2011 - 03:39 AM

shadow priests are JUST as overpowered as warriors, you can't deny it

#47 Styfez

Styfez
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Illidan
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Windwalker 1/0/1/0/2/1
  • LocationBakersfield, CA

Posted 22 April 2011 - 03:42 AM

Yes I'd say the game is dieing, slowly but surely. This can't be remedied though, because it is the fate of all MMO's. Expansions come and go, people who played since the beginning quit, and very few people are up to the challenge to pick up a game like this one that is three expacs deep. While I am sure new people do in fact start new, the number of people who stop playing most likely outweighs the new comers. Not to mention new comers have A LOT to learn to even become a factor in PvP especially (unless you're a s5 dk, s8 ele, or whatever FOTM face roll class/combo is at the time is which is a problem in and of itself).

The other thing is new games as previously mentioned in this thread. RIFT is a pretty terrible game, but it took subs from WoW either way you slice it. I play RIFT a bit and the anti-WoW attitude on there is ridiculous for how much of a clone it is of WoW. People really show a distaste for WoW and just want another game to work it would seem. All this being said, more new games are going to be released this year (SWTOR, GW2, TERA, even Blizzard's own Diablo III) and are bound to take subs away from WoW. Am I saying that any one of these is going to be the dreaded "WoW killer" that the forums have spoken about for years? No, but they will each chip away at the player base. Not to mention people getting bored of the game because lets face it, the game is 7 years old now.

Will the game completely die? No, there are people still playing games like EQ, DAoC, and a lot of the other old MMO's, granted there isn't many of them there is still that group of people that will hang on and defend the game for a very long time. And as for WoW, since it has attracted such a large player base, the number of people that hang on are going to be much bigger than the typical MMO of the past.

#48 BBG

BBG
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Fury 1/1/2/2/1/1
  • RBG: 384

Posted 22 April 2011 - 03:49 AM

Hey WoW YOU'RE FUCKING OUT! Kenny Powers is now a free agent!
Posted Image

#49 Dieszel

Dieszel
  • Junkies

Posted 22 April 2011 - 03:55 AM

I've played wow since it's launch without even a break in play time up until this season. The game always kept me interested. After seeing that high end PvE was garbage, Arena's were the only thing I enjoyed. Arenas have just turned into a shit show and the DK class couldn't be more retard friendly the way unholy is now. I tried recording games to make another movie and, when I'd rewatch my clips, it was just sad when you see what it takes to win these days. Any ween gobbling idiot can play DK's at the "lolskillcap" and the changes they are making to the class just continue down that path. Shit, the changes they are making to every class is just homogenizing everyone and making things easier. Arenas are and will continue to be a bunch of slackjawed donkeys racing to find the most broken comp, run it to rank 1, and then go on an ego rampage calling everyone bad and acting as if the game takes real skill anymore. Go play starcraft if you want a skilled game.

I just ground a team up to glad in 2 nights, cancelled my accounts, and have quit as of about a month ago. I have zero desire to play anymore. The ego-maniac virgins on these forums have made this place pretty much worthless. The only thing AJ has been good for has been random threads with people posting topless flexing pics and saying how much bigger they are than me. Lopez has these threads bookmarked for obvious reasons. FAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFPAF

Sixjax will thrive. They are making big moves in the starcraft community and have the funds to pull in even more of the biggest names in the game. Just watch. It was a great move for them to drop WoW altogether once the tourney scene was dead. WoW should never come back as an esport outside of the TR (will be trash as well imo).

I will say that the other website I work for making instructional videos was really a great place to have real discussions with other DK's and actually work with people who were all wanting to improve in an ego free environment.

The game was fun while it lasted. I met a lot of cool people at MLG's and stay in contact with them over skype from time to time. The extra money from glad sells/videos was also a nice bonus.

You nerds stay small and angry!

Edited by Dieszel, 22 April 2011 - 03:57 AM.

#50 Blacksheezy

Blacksheezy
  • Junkies
  • Worgenclass_name
  • US-Whisperwind
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Blood

Posted 22 April 2011 - 04:05 AM

I've played wow since it's launch without even a break in play time up until this season. The game always kept me interested. After seeing that high end PvE was garbage, Arena's were the only thing I enjoyed. Arenas have just turned into a shit show and the DK class couldn't be more retard friendly the way unholy is now. I tried recording games to make another movie and, when I'd rewatch my clips, it was just sad when you see what it takes to win these days. Any ween gobbling idiot can play DK's at the "lolskillcap" and the changes they are making to the class just continue down that path. Shit, the changes they are making to every class is just homogenizing everyone and making things easier. Arenas are and will continue to be a bunch of slackjawed donkeys racing to find the most broken comp, run it to rank 1, and then go on an ego rampage calling everyone bad and acting as if the game takes real skill anymore. Go play starcraft if you want a skilled game.

I just ground a team up to glad in 2 nights, cancelled my accounts, and have quit as of about a month ago. I have zero desire to play anymore. The ego-maniac virgins on these forums have made this place pretty much worthless. The only thing AJ has been good for has been random threads with people posting topless flexing pics and saying how much bigger they are than me. Lopez has these threads bookmarked for obvious reasons. FAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFPAF

I feel the exact same way. I dropped the game awhile ago and I've been enjoying other competitive outlets a lot more. I really don't know what I even come back to this site. Maybe you can explain that to because I dunno.

Edited by Blacksheezy, 22 April 2011 - 04:06 AM.

Plz to has more green squares.

Also, looking for a holy paladin for 3s. Hit me up!

#51 Dieszel

Dieszel
  • Junkies

Posted 22 April 2011 - 04:15 AM

I feel the exact same way. I dropped the game awhile ago and I've been enjoying other competitive outlets a lot more. I really don't know what I even come back to this site. Maybe you can explain that to because I dunno.

i check it out every once in a while if im trying to kill time at work for a minute. i look at the new topics shit and then log off lol

#52 Styfez

Styfez
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Illidan
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Windwalker 1/0/1/0/2/1
  • LocationBakersfield, CA

Posted 22 April 2011 - 04:17 AM

Sixjax will thrive. They are making big moves in the starcraft community and have the funds to pull in even more of the biggest names in the game. Just watch. It was a great move for them to drop WoW altogether once the tourney scene was dead. WoW should never come back as an esport outside of the TR (will be trash as well imo).

I will say that the other website I work for making instructional videos was really a great place to have real discussions with other DK's and actually work with people who were all wanting to improve in an ego free environment.

The game was fun while it lasted. I met a lot of cool people at MLG's and stay in contact with them over skype from time to time. The extra money from glad sells/videos was also a nice bonus.

You nerds stay small and angry!

Bolded part x10 lol.

#53 Scyber

Scyber
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kil'jaeden
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Protection

Posted 22 April 2011 - 04:49 AM

I think people are confusing arena being less fun with the game dying. It's less fun because the game is more popular now due to the changes that make it not fun for the arena players. The game certainly isn't dying by the profits that are being made.

#54 Kelarm

Kelarm
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: ./././././.
  • RBG: 2922

Posted 22 April 2011 - 04:52 AM

I doubt WoW is dying as a whole, I'd be shocked if subscriptions aren't still increasing. They continue to offer the most "accessible" (in their words) MMO out there, and until something infringes on that competitive edge then WoW isn't even going to miss a step.

That said I wouldn't be surprised if arena is dying. For one thing, RBGs are on the scene now and blizzard has already alluded several times that it's a significant balance consideration for them. To any real PvPer that's kind of a death knell by itself since arena balance has been pretty terrible even when it was their only focus. On top of that, at least to me, it feels like what's wrong with the game right now is going to be extremely difficult to fix, maybe not even within this expansion. It's not just something like X class is doing too much damage or Y class is immortal (simple balance issues that still tend to take obnoxiously long to address). The whole design of pvp now seems flawed. Maybe if they do something about instants and interrupts it'll help. Maybe.

Edited by Kelarm, 22 April 2011 - 04:54 AM.

Official Blizzard Quote:

Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.

Finally, I understand why pvp in this game is so bad.

#55 Arias

Arias
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Emerald Dream
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Holy 0/1/1/2/1/1/1
  • 3v3: 1665
  • RBG: 1139

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:07 AM

arena is definitely dead, canceled my subscription. Sad to say it but there'll probably never be another MMO with the same style of competitive endgame PvP that WoW had in BC (and in wrath I guess, though I didn't like wrath).

#56 saffie

saffie
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Destruction 0/1/2/0/2/1
  • RBG: 2112

Posted 22 April 2011 - 08:38 AM

So WoW is dying? Well, do something about it. The capabilities are quite limited in comparison to a game such as Starcraft:

• There is no public spectator client.
  • No replays except Fraps which is a hassle.
  • 3v3 is the main bracket (harder to organize things).
  • Factions, servers and battlegroups are splitting up the already tiny arena player base.

Despite these flaws there are things that we can do to improve the situation if you get a little creative.

First off, unite the player base and migrate to the same realm and faction. In theory very hard to pull off (as proven numerous times), but if people start seeing increased benefits they'll come. Being on the same realm brings new opportunities for player-hosted tournaments using the war game system. Advertising in advance and prioritizing players who can stream the matches is desired. Prizes would probably have to start with gold, taking a registration fee for each team then dividing it between the top 3/5 or whatever. Could host a ladder where similar to the MLG point system and at the end of X period a prize is rewarded to the most successful teams.

Another idea I had was of an arena league thing. If anyone remembers, AJ once hosted a contest called the Arena Junkies Olympics. The concept was basically that you created a team with a certain phrase in the name, after 2 weeks a lottery was held and your chance to win was based on the team's rating. With region-wide queues I see an increased opportunity for these type of contests. Maybe you could make it a weekly thing with a ladder to accompany it. Something like this:

• Every week a contest starts with a unique keyword that people have to place in their team names.
  • At the end of the week the results are parsed and points are calculated based on the teams rating and win ratio, or something similar. The players participating in the teams are awarded these points and are placed in a public ladder.
  • At the end of a certain period the top 3 players are awarded X prize and the ladder is reset.

This promotes ladder activity, which is something that I see a lot of complaints about (5 games/week, no one is playing, bla, bla). The players should also be encouraged to stream their matches to increase public interest. Bonus points for streaming or some kind of follower system would perhaps work.

There may be things like this happening already in the silent, they just need to become publicly promoted.

Also, I'd like to say that I think Arena Junkies have quite a huge responsibility. More or less every arena user already has an account here, which is a big deal. It's a bit sad that they haven't tried to move more towards these e-sport type of things instead of remaining a portal for learning and discussing, perhaps opening a sister-site would be a good idea.

What I wanted to say with this is that there are ways of increasing interest and activity - someone just has to organize it. Sorry if the post turned out a bit disorganized, I kind of brainstormed while writing.

/Proditor

Those are great ideas, the thing is you still expect others to do it, when you are in the most popular pvp guild in europe yourself. Imo you can convince some people if you really want to and start a thing going, making pvp more attractive to people, make it mean more.

#57 Lieto

Lieto
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Arthas
  • Glutsturm / Emberstorm
  • Talents: Subtlety
  • LocationKyiv. Ukraine.

Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:44 AM

So maybe Maya meant WoW when they said that it will be over n 2012?! Its all written up already, world is going to end. World OF WARCRAFT.
AAAAAAAA.
Shadowmelding since 2007.

#58 Proditor

Proditor
  • Premium Junkies
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • EU-Haomarush
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Unholy

Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:45 AM

Those are great ideas, the thing is you still expect others to do it, when you are in the most popular pvp guild in europe yourself. Imo you can convince some people if you really want to and start a thing going, making pvp more attractive to people, make it mean more.

Well, yes. The problem is that I won't have time to do anything myself for a couple of months forward (unless someone would pay me to do it, which is unlikely). This is probably an issue for a lot of the players with these kind of things in mind, that's why I mentioned Arena Junkies. Now that they are under the Curse banner I'm assuming that they work with this site for a living and despite the fact that their to-do list is long I think something like this should be prioritized. It'd bring a fresh wind to the arena community and most likely increase the popularity of AJ, which, in the end, is what matters to Curse.
Author of Gladius

#59 Buddha

Buddha
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Azralon
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Shadow 0/0/1/1/0/1/1
  • 2v2: 1133
  • 3v3: 1817
  • RBG: 2062

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:17 PM

games shit and old, use your imagination to find one answer.

#60 jizoke

jizoke
  • Premium Junkies
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Discipline

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:55 PM

Yes I'd say the game is dieing, slowly but surely. This can't be remedied though, because it is the fate of all MMO's. Expansions come and go, people who played since the beginning quit, and very few people are up to the challenge to pick up a game like this one that is three expacs deep. While I am sure new people do in fact start new, the number of people who stop playing most likely outweighs the new comers. Not to mention new comers have A LOT to learn to even become a factor in PvP especially (unless you're a s5 dk, s8 ele, or whatever FOTM face roll class/combo is at the time is which is a problem in and of itself).

The other thing is new games as previously mentioned in this thread. RIFT is a pretty terrible game, but it took subs from WoW either way you slice it. I play RIFT a bit and the anti-WoW attitude on there is ridiculous for how much of a clone it is of WoW. People really show a distaste for WoW and just want another game to work it would seem. All this being said, more new games are going to be released this year (SWTOR, GW2, TERA, even Blizzard's own Diablo III) and are bound to take subs away from WoW. Am I saying that any one of these is going to be the dreaded "WoW killer" that the forums have spoken about for years? No, but they will each chip away at the player base. Not to mention people getting bored of the game because lets face it, the game is 7 years old now.

Will the game completely die? No, there are people still playing games like EQ, DAoC, and a lot of the other old MMO's, granted there isn't many of them there is still that group of people that will hang on and defend the game for a very long time. And as for WoW, since it has attracted such a large player base, the number of people that hang on are going to be much bigger than the typical MMO of the past.

You're dying too. Slowly, but surely.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users