Arena Junkies was shut down on July 1st, 2018. You're viewing an archive of this page from 2018-06-25 at 23:12. Thank you all for your support! Please get in touch via the Curse help desk if you need any support using this archive.

Photo

Frost Mage vs Rogue help

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 p3co

p3co
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Eonar
  • Misery
  • Talents: Shadow 1/1/./././.

Posted 19 April 2011 - 10:19 AM

i have dueled many rogues and literally not done a single bit of dmg on them.

If thats a claim to how sh*t i am at pvp, then so be it. But i desperately need help in fighting rogues.

the usual fight goes

Sapped > open up on me , blah blah blah, i try to run away but they have already taken me down to about 70khp so i just iceblock to remove everything.

Rogue restealths > open up on me again > get silenced > getting raped so i pet freeze & deep freeze if im still not silenced > he trinkets > shadowsteps me > i blink > he then does his thing where i cant hit him (cant remember what its called > he blinds me > i trinket > then its pretty much over

now everyone tells me rogues are easy, i find them to be a complete bitch and are able to lock me out for a whole duel

#2 Lieto

Lieto
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Arthas
  • Glutsturm / Emberstorm
  • Talents: Subtlety
  • LocationKyiv. Ukraine.

Posted 19 April 2011 - 10:48 AM

1. Trinket first garrote silence and deep freeze him with jumping away to avoid more slows
2. Iceblock only when he pops cloak and you dont have blink or he pops shadow dance and you are silenced / stunned.
3. General idea is that you dont want to use block too early — try to force as many cooldowns as you can without blocking. Spam mana shield a bit more. Spam novas with turning your face to the rogue at all times so he cant backstab you.
4. Whenever his cloak is down he should be dead, only thing you really need is to put frost fire dot on him. Then just run. The mistake i see most mages doing is trying to hardcast while rogue still got some minor cooldowns (like sprint) left — never do that. Just run and spam instants, coc, nova, dont let him touch you. If he touches you without trading his shadowstep for it you failed, because whenever he touches you it will be gouge into kidney that you need to blink and THEN he will shadowstep to put even more pressure. You don want to be in this situation.
5. Its important to watch your positioning. Try to FACE him at all times — he pops dance? no probs he will break barrier and will get stuck facing you while you are stunned unable to ambush. This is also something i see every day — i garrote a mage and he is trying to run away from me while i mash ambush into his back. Seriously. FACE the rogue, jump, turn around and wait for silence to end (if you cant avoid it otherwise).
6. Pet nova vanishes is absolutely crucial and not even that hard to do, master it.
7. Use CoC every cooldown and work around your deepfreeze CD since its actually the skill that lets you reliably take 50% of his hp away.

Edited by Lieto, 19 April 2011 - 10:50 AM.

Shadowmelding since 2007.

#3 Shadyboss

Shadyboss
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Balnazzar
  • Raserei / Frenzy
  • Talents: Frost
  • LocationKorea

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:01 AM

hey bro, i gotta disagree with trinketing first garrote and such tho

what I basicly do is

* have ice armor, ice barrier, mana shield up

-> rogue opens with garrote most likely just try to turn ur character so u face him aka decreases alot of his damage, use pet nova immediatly when garrote hits u and try to jump away, some bad rogues get caught and vanish right away or so.

-> now when he dropped u alittle, be sure to refresh at least mana shield and ice barrier if possible, go for deep freeze on him and he will propabbly trinket, at this point u still got trinket, block and blink, NEVER blink a stun if he still has a shadowstep, after his trinket try to react quick and cone of cold him still which makes him use cloak of shadows.

-> now u can freely block, if u want to save it just go invisiblity and midigate some minor damage, tho blocking is just fine and very necessary vs any good rogues. After cloak runs out try to drop ring of frost on him, u can pet nova him still or something, even if u cant nova him just drop ring and move around the borders so he cant follow u in and out.

-> now that u got him ringed, if not sheep him inside the ring or so u should get some distance, evocate if ur low on hp and mana, remember mana gems early so ur mana shield wont drop u oom, get distance cast frostfire bolt (dont waste quick frostbolt yet) followed by frostbolt deep freeze, shatter etc etc, now the duel should be quite easy for u, even if he gets new clos at some point he doesnt have anyt else so just cone of cold him quick after clos if he gets it etc etc, remember DO NOT blink before shadowstep, they will eventually use it out of desperation to hit u anyways.

hope this helped :)

and ye instant trinket blind

Edited by Shadyboss, 19 April 2011 - 11:02 AM.

med 10O%))

#4 Lieto

Lieto
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Arthas
  • Glutsturm / Emberstorm
  • LocationKyiv. Ukraine.

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:24 AM

-> rogue opens with garrote most likely just try to turn ur character so u face him aka decreases alot of his damage, use pet nova immediatly when garrote hits u and try to jump away, some bad rogues get caught and vanish right away or so.

Well ye it really depends on what rogue has in mind )

Garrote doesnt break sap and it will be followed by backstab (that you cant really avoid and it applies slow by itself), so at this point you will pet nova your barrier and turn face to him to get 5pts evis. Then "bad rogue" would indeed vanish just to get another ambush into evis while you are still silenced and again you cant really avoid it.

So all in all when you will be finally able to blink you already ate a garrote, ambush, 2 stabs, 2 evises and some whites. Thats half of your hp. considering that you dont have pet nova left rogue can just sprint back into smoke bomb restealth without even using his step there.

Why i advice to trinket first silence is that you dont eat that 50k damage there and also there is not much else you need your trinket especially after kidney and cs share cooldown.

and ye instant trinket blind

What do you have your pet for? pet nova his run away and auto his bandage.

Edited by Lieto, 19 April 2011 - 11:30 AM.

#5 Deathsmoke

Deathsmoke
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:27 AM

rogue would just jump back into smoke bomb restealth without even using his step there

why mage wont use blizzard not to let rogue to get out of combat?

#6 Lieto

Lieto
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Arthas
  • Glutsturm / Emberstorm
  • LocationKyiv. Ukraine.

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:34 AM

Well ye, no point to theorycraft it further, i believe ring into evo works awesome as well.
As for blizzard — mage is usually more concerned about renewing shields at this point, its also obv possible to just shadowstep mage into kidney after blink etc.

#7 Deathsmoke

Deathsmoke
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:44 AM

ye true that. all comes by practicing. but anyway i never dueled a mage who let me restealth from smokebomb=) and ofc after blink if rogue got shadowstep it will be 5 points kidney probably with shadowdance.

#8 Shadyboss

Shadyboss
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Balnazzar
  • Raserei / Frenzy
  • Talents: Frost
  • LocationKorea

Posted 19 April 2011 - 12:14 PM

Well ye it really depends on what rogue has in mind )

Garrote doesnt break sap and it will be followed by backstab (that you cant really avoid and it applies slow by itself), so at this point you will pet nova your barrier and turn face to him to get 5pts evis. Then "bad rogue" would indeed vanish just to get another ambush into evis while you are still silenced and again you cant really avoid it.

So all in all when you will be finally able to blink you already ate a garrote, ambush, 2 stabs, 2 evises and some whites. Thats half of your hp. considering that you dont have pet nova left rogue can just sprint back into smoke bomb restealth without even using his step there.

Why i advice to trinket first silence is that you dont eat that 50k damage there and also there is not much else you need your trinket especially after kidney and cs share cooldown.

What do you have your pet for? pet nova his run away and auto his bandage.

no clue what kind of mages u been dueling, blind trinket is just to keep kiting, most of the times when u could get away he gets a blind whilst i just wasted my nova on him and he cathches up again, no point at all not saving it imo, + if the duel goes on too much (refering to sitting blinds etc) he will get new cloaks and whatnot making it just harder for the mage, u can easily tank the first garrote just as well, first backstab u cant avoid yes, then nova the rogue, turn around make him use vanish, get full df, burn trinket coc -> ring, sheep when he cant even vanish the cast of ur sheep forcing cloak aka u can block safely and u won most of the times

ps. how could u seriously restealth in smoke bomb lmao

Edited by Shadyboss, 19 April 2011 - 12:15 PM.

med 10O%))

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users