Arena Junkies was shut down on July 1st, 2018. You're viewing an archive of this page from 2018-06-25 at 17:37. Thank you all for your support! Please get in touch via the Curse help desk if you need any support using this archive.

Photo
- - - - -

Is Starcraft II hard to get into?

• Please log in to reply
685 replies to this topic

#41 Breadstick

Breadstick
  • Moderators
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Arena Tournament 1
  • Coliseum 1
  • Talents: Affliction

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:26 AM

yeah completely agree, people complain a lot about cheese when they start out because it's a really fast loss and it feels like they were just being really gay, but honestly unless you're the best player in the world, any loss is 100% your fault
s a d b o y s

#42 Crackslapper

Crackslapper
  • Junkies
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Cho'gall
  • Rampage
  • Talents:

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:38 AM

yep, really doesn't take amazing micro or macro to stop a cheese, just takes good scouting and knowing how to react

#43 Fazzmania

Fazzmania
  • Premium
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Aman'Thul
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Assassination
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:39 AM

Even the best players get 6 pooled occasionally. So tired of the tough guy attitude that always seems present in these threads 'OH I would never lose to that I am just so good'
Posted Image

#44 Breadstick

Breadstick
  • Moderators
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Arena Tournament 1
  • Coliseum 1

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:41 AM

nobody's saying they never lose to cheese, we're saying if you lose to it then it's your fault, just like if you lose to any other strategy
s a d b o y s

#45 wmd221

wmd221
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Illidan
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Combat 2/1/2/2/0/1/1
  • 2v2: 1786
  • 3v3: 1606

Posted 19 April 2011 - 03:39 AM

Even the best players get 6 pooled occasionally. So tired of the tough guy attitude that always seems present in these threads 'OH I would never lose to that I am just so good'

I'm not sure if I'm just misunderstanding this is in reference to or if the last few posts in this thread have gone way over your head

#46 Dunc

Dunc
  • Junkies
  • Goblinclass_name
  • EU-Kazzak
  • Misery
  • Talents: Shadow 1/1/2/0/2/1/2
  • LocationEngland

Posted 19 April 2011 - 03:53 AM

Maybe its just me but I think if you're constantly having issues dealing with or losing to cheesy plays, then the issue is with you not preparing / scouting / just being good enough in general to deal with it. You can literally eliminate 99% of any cheesy plays by just scouting properly and not doing greedy builds, if you're not doing either of those things and you lose to a cheese its entirely your fault.

I never lost to a cheese and thought "wow theres nothing I can do about that", theres ALWAYS something you could've done to prevent it.

strange considering 6pool apparently has a 85% win rate vs protoss in master's league
that's all we'll have when the world is through

#47 Breadstick

Breadstick
  • Moderators
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Arena Tournament 1
  • Coliseum 1

Posted 19 April 2011 - 03:54 AM

yeah well that's kind of the exception on 4 player maps as far as i know, because if you scout it last you basically lose

i think more protoss are going 10 gate against zerg now just because of that
s a d b o y s

#48 Pharaun

Pharaun
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 19 April 2011 - 04:00 AM

sc2 definitely isn't that hard... if you practice consistently enough and you're not totally shit at rts games to begin with you can make it to masters in a few months

I mean, you can be a pro with 100 apm so yeah

Fuck :(

(to be fair I've never seriously tried RTS, but I'm pretty sure I would fail hardcore)
"Who, after all, is today speaking of the destruction of the Armenians?"

-Adolf Hitler, 1939

#49 Dunc

Dunc
  • Junkies
  • Goblinclass_name
  • EU-Kazzak
  • Misery
  • Talents: Shadow 1/1/2/0/2/1/2
  • LocationEngland

Posted 19 April 2011 - 04:02 AM

if you're willing to learn you'll bejust fine

unless you want to be pro, I'm pretty sure all the best players in the world atm played sc1

yeah well that's kind of the exception on 4 player maps as far as i know, because if you scout it last you basically lose

i think more protoss are going 10 gate against zerg now just because of that

it can work on 2 player maps as well but yea, it's just really gay to hold off unless you go forge first

http://www.teamliqui...topic_id=211243

the replays are pretty depressing, seeing people as good as kiwikaki lose to this guy

Edited by Dunc, 19 April 2011 - 04:11 AM.

that's all we'll have when the world is through

#50 wmd221

wmd221
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Illidan
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Combat 2/1/2/2/0/1/1
  • 2v2: 1786
  • 3v3: 1606

Posted 19 April 2011 - 04:25 AM

I think RTS games in general are just really intimidating to try to get into, but once you actually get in and do a few games you start to learn the basics very very quickly.

#51 Canas!

Canas!
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Hellscream
  • Raserei / Frenzy
  • Talents: Holy

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:50 AM

Maybe its just me but I think if you're constantly having issues dealing with or losing to cheesy plays, then the issue is with you not preparing / scouting / just being good enough in general to deal with it. You can literally eliminate 99% of any cheesy plays by just scouting properly and not doing greedy builds, if you're not doing either of those things and you lose to a cheese its entirely your fault.

I never lost to a cheese and thought "wow theres nothing I can do about that", theres ALWAYS something you could've done to prevent it.

This is mostly true, there's a few things that are pretty ridiculous though, and I honestly dont know what you're supposed to do about it.

On big maps like tal'darim altar, pretty much everyone fast expands, so to keep up with that, I have to 15 hatch, and if the protoss scouts me first I'm going to get cannonrushed to shit. If I dont 15 hatch he can just put down a nexus instead and he's ahead economically, which is probably one of the worst situations you can be in as zerg.

And then 2 rax marine scv all ins on close positions I just dont know. 99% of zergs will 15 hatch vs terran every game no matter what, because the extra larvae and creep is more or less needed to defend 2 rax pressure, but on close positions he can be at your base before you even have a spine up. Fortunately it isnt as common as it was when bitbybit was winning like every game just like that, but it's still stupidly strong

3.2 Warriors are worst class in the game for 3v3.

#52 downedlolidiot

downedlolidiot
  • Members

Posted 19 April 2011 - 03:17 PM

And then 2 rax marine scv all ins on close positions I just dont know. 99% of zergs will 15 hatch vs terran every game no matter what, because the extra larvae and creep is more or less needed to defend 2 rax pressure, but on close positions he can be at your base before you even have a spine up. Fortunately it isnt as common as it was when bitbybit was winning like every game just like that, but it's still stupidly strong

happened to me 3 times in a row yesterday, fucking annoying when im trying to learn z

#53 Nermó

Nermó
  • Junkies
  • Taurenclass_name
  • EU-Kor'gall
  • Cruelty / Crueldad
  • Talents: Feral Combat
  • LocationSweden

Posted 19 April 2011 - 04:58 PM

don't start with it unless you really enjoy loosing your first 30 games only because of minor misstakes and because the opponent has played 500 games
Posted Image

#54 Canas!

Canas!
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Hellscream
  • Raserei / Frenzy

Posted 19 April 2011 - 05:01 PM

Yeah you're not going to lose 30 games in a row because of minor mistakes. You'll probably lose your first 7 or so games (assuming you skip practice league, which you should), but by then you should've gotten used enough to everything to do fine in bronze league

#55 Kzrs

Kzrs
  • Karzerus
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall

Posted 19 April 2011 - 05:04 PM

I'm shit. I'm in Bronze div 92. I lost my first 3 games due to cheese as Zerg. But I'll persist.

I haven't even looked at any build orders because I'm a lazy bastard, kind of just improvising on my own. Going to use t1 units exclusively, then when i am used to them I'll probably go to t2 starting with infestors.

Edited by Kzrs, 19 April 2011 - 05:05 PM.

Posted Image
From Disaster to Master - SC2 (Bronze)

#56 Canas!

Canas!
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Hellscream
  • Raserei / Frenzy

Posted 19 April 2011 - 05:07 PM

How to win all games as zerg until diamond:

Spawning pool around 15, expand shortly after, get a few spines and a couple of extra queens to make sure you dont die, get a roach warren and lair when you have enough money, get two evolution chambers and start upgrading from them when they finish, when lair is done start upgrading roach speed

MAKE ROACHES AND ATTACK WHEN YOU HIT 200/200

Win game

#57 Kzrs

Kzrs
  • Karzerus
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:30 PM

Even I know how to hard counter that
Posted Image
From Disaster to Master - SC2 (Bronze)

#58 Fazzmania

Fazzmania
  • Premium
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Aman'Thul
  • Bloodlust
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:58 PM

Do you? Do you?
Posted Image

#59 Crackslapper

Crackslapper
  • Junkies
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Cho'gall
  • Rampage
  • Talents:

Posted 20 April 2011 - 12:15 AM

Fuck :(

(to be fair I've never seriously tried RTS, but I'm pretty sure I would fail hardcore)

you won't know until you've played a fair amount of games since any rts is gonna seem overwhelming at first, but some people have literally been playing starcraft 2 since like beta and they're still stuck in gold while other people (regardless of whether they've seriously played any other rts before) will catch on really fast

I honestly thought sc2 looked like the hardest game ever to play, but really macro is just about ingraining habits into yourself

#60 Crackslapper

Crackslapper
  • Junkies
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Cho'gall
  • Rampage
  • Talents:

Posted 20 April 2011 - 12:16 AM

How to win all games as zerg until diamond:

Spawning pool around 15, expand shortly after, get a few spines and a couple of extra queens to make sure you dont die, get a roach warren and lair when you have enough money, get two evolution chambers and start upgrading from them when they finish, when lair is done start upgrading roach speed

MAKE ROACHES AND ATTACK WHEN YOU HIT 200/200

Win game

well this is assuming your macro is a bit above that level

not like it'll take some guy who's in silver to platinum with just that

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users