Arena Junkies was shut down on July 1st, 2018. You're viewing an archive of this page from 2018-06-26 at 04:28. Thank you all for your support! Please get in touch via the Curse help desk if you need any support using this archive.

Photo

ADHD/ADD

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#101 lucyk

lucyk

Posted 31 March 2011 - 05:18 PM

should probably start him on ritalin just in case
U maKe me Feel Like I'm liVin' a TEENAGE DREAM

#102 Bigbadburks

Bigbadburks
  • Members
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • US-Undermine
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Elemental

Posted 31 March 2011 - 05:20 PM

should probably start him on ritalin just in case

Totally.
Posted Image

#103 Shaylá

Shaylá
  • Members
  • Taurenclass_name
  • EU-Onyxia
  • Raserei / Frenzy
  • Talents:

Posted 31 March 2011 - 05:42 PM

3 Children and all of them have ADHD? Dont you think that is a bit odd since even though it is often falsly diagnosed "only" 5% of the children are supposed to have it? Sure genetics are probably a factor but this seems to be to much of a coincidence.

I once had Kel' Thas drop Phoenix Mount. Less than 5% chance by the way

#104 Nublaw_2409624

Nublaw_2409624
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Emerald Dream
  • Blackout
  • Talents: ./././././.

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:11 PM

I work in a school for youths with various learning disabilities, ADHD being one of which, and i can pmuch guarantee it's a "real" thing, and not an excuse for being lazy/mean/whatever. There are various degrees of ADHD, from the ones who can go a whole lifetime without using medications for it and doing just fine (in fact, in some cases the individuals in question have claimed their diagnosis has made them more creative and able to think outside the box), to the ones who simply cannot focus on very basic tasks longer than a few minutes/seconds at the time.

If your gfs kid belongs to the latter group, which it sounds like he does from your description, what you have to do is to get him to a doctor to make a proper evaluation and start trying out different meds. The results from the various medications differ from person to person, so there's no real way of knowing which one to choose before you try out the different types. Also, for some people meds are highly effective and can bring their pattern of thought to a "normal" level, and in other cases it might prove utterly ineffective.

Worst case scenario; if you go through the whole medical process and nothing helps, consider alternative education options. If the kid cannot follow regular school schedules without being policed constantly by others for hours at a time, he really doesn't gain much from it and it will only lead to him and his protectors loathing the educational system and it might even lead to personal rifts within the family. Far better to have him follow a special educational program tailored to give him the most gain while following his premises. (If you are lucky enough to live in an area where this is an option.)

Anyways, my 5c - sorry for broken english, i cba to read through it all again.

#105 EzeNt

EzeNt
  • Members
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • EU-Ravencrest
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Elemental ./././././.
  • LocationSweden

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:13 PM

good first post
didn't read it, but good

did you join AJ just to post that?
Posted Image

#106 Nublaw_2409624

Nublaw_2409624
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Emerald Dream
  • Blackout
  • Talents: ./././././.

Posted 31 March 2011 - 10:01 PM

Nah ive been an AJ member for like two years, but im a nub so i never broke 2.4k to post in the junkies section ;)
I do think i have like 15 posts in random threads tho, idk why it says postcount 1..

#107 Qaadolip

Qaadolip
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Burning Blade
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Arms

Posted 01 April 2011 - 12:59 AM

My opinions are formed from a few sources:
1. Having cousins diagnosed as ADHD and being homeschooled by their mother who has the necessary degrees and experience in the education field to be a principal of a school if she chose to be one (instead she home schools her 3 kids) and
2. getting my own degree in secondary education

ADHD really seems to me to just be a group of symptoms used that generally boil down to (in most cases) a kid that is just naturally lazy, or whose parents didn't raise them in such a way that they're capable of focusing for periods of time consecutively. Most kids that are "ADHD" either have parents who couldn't care less about them, or parents that didn't give a shit about their kids until their kid got diagnosed with ADHD. Why is that significant? Because when you don't monitor a child's activities, it's very possible that they just randomly change their focus to various things sporadically, and their brain never gets accustomed to focusing on one thing; or they just stare at the TV and eventually develop an attention span long enough to allow them to focus long enough to last from one commercial break to the next, but no longer.

I'm not really sure if that's all clear, but I have papers to grade and I really cba to type more. This is just a personal opinion and in no way intends to put down the quality of parenting done by anyone or anything of that nature.

#108 Disstance

Disstance
  • Members
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 01 April 2011 - 01:01 AM

your children are fine and dont need drugs -- except weed, make sure they all get medicinal cards as soon as they hit 18.
"Love should be put into action!"
screamed the old hermit.
Across the pond an echo
tried and tried to confirm it.

#109 Bigbadburks

Bigbadburks
  • Members
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • US-Undermine
  • Nightfall

Posted 01 April 2011 - 02:01 AM

I work in a school for youths with various learning disabilities, ADHD being one of which, and i can pmuch guarantee it's a "real" thing, and not an excuse for being lazy/mean/whatever. There are various degrees of ADHD, from the ones who can go a whole lifetime without using medications for it and doing just fine (in fact, in some cases the individuals in question have claimed their diagnosis has made them more creative and able to think outside the box), to the ones who simply cannot focus on very basic tasks longer than a few minutes/seconds at the time.

If your gfs kid belongs to the latter group, which it sounds like he does from your description, what you have to do is to get him to a doctor to make a proper evaluation and start trying out different meds. The results from the various medications differ from person to person, so there's no real way of knowing which one to choose before you try out the different types. Also, for some people meds are highly effective and can bring their pattern of thought to a "normal" level, and in other cases it might prove utterly ineffective.

Worst case scenario; if you go through the whole medical process and nothing helps, consider alternative education options. If the kid cannot follow regular school schedules without being policed constantly by others for hours at a time, he really doesn't gain much from it and it will only lead to him and his protectors loathing the educational system and it might even lead to personal rifts within the family. Far better to have him follow a special educational program tailored to give him the most gain while following his premises. (If you are lucky enough to live in an area where this is an option.)

Anyways, my 5c - sorry for broken english, i cba to read through it all again.

Thanks for the helpful post. We take him to doctors bi-monthly to be re-evaluated since he also has hypothyroidism so he constantly has blood work done so his medication is always being updated.

The thing is, back in his old school, he did great and his brother, the older one did horrible. Now that he's moved to a new state, he doesn't like the new school and his brother loves his new school and they did a complete 360 with each other. The middle child is now doing horrible and his brother is doing fantastic. The school doesn't feel our middle childs case is severe enough to put him in a gifted class where they'd take extra time with him, because it's true. He's extremely smart, he's just not applying himself and we KNOW he can because he used to be a straight A student. The teachers care about him a lot and wish they could help but they can't slow down the entire flow of the class for one student.

One issue is with his medication is that because of his hypothyroidism he's behind in his growth patterns by two years. Meaning they can't update his medication for ADHD as often as they should because his body isn't growing the way a normal 10 year olds body should be growing.

Like today, he was trying to do his homework and any opportunity he could take to look away from his paper, he would. If his mom asked me to do something he'd bolt off and do it for her before I could react, or if he heard a small noise, you could watch his brain switch tracks to identify the noise. It's just difficult watching him go through this because we know he can do well because of how he previously did.
Posted Image

#110 Bigbadburks

Bigbadburks
  • Members
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • US-Undermine
  • Nightfall

Posted 01 April 2011 - 02:06 AM

My opinions are formed from a few sources:
1. Having cousins diagnosed as ADHD and being homeschooled by their mother who has the necessary degrees and experience in the education field to be a principal of a school if she chose to be one (instead she home schools her 3 kids) and
2. getting my own degree in secondary education

ADHD really seems to me to just be a group of symptoms used that generally boil down to (in most cases) a kid that is just naturally lazy, or whose parents didn't raise them in such a way that they're capable of focusing for periods of time consecutively. Most kids that are "ADHD" either have parents who couldn't care less about them, or parents that didn't give a shit about their kids until their kid got diagnosed with ADHD. Why is that significant? Because when you don't monitor a child's activities, it's very possible that they just randomly change their focus to various things sporadically, and their brain never gets accustomed to focusing on one thing; or they just stare at the TV and eventually develop an attention span long enough to allow them to focus long enough to last from one commercial break to the next, but no longer.

I'm not really sure if that's all clear, but I have papers to grade and I really cba to type more. This is just a personal opinion and in no way intends to put down the quality of parenting done by anyone or anything of that nature.

That's the polar opposite of how we deal with him. We are doing everything we possibly can to get him to do the things he should be doing but as I've said before, no amount of time spent, drugs, etc and so on will make them want to change unless they want to make the change for themselves.

And we watch very little television at house. The only time we watch TV is once everything is done and we only watch it for an hour, an hour and a half at the maximum per day. When the children do their homework we eliminate all outside noise. Me and his mom sit on the couch with him and watch over him while he does his homework and we make sure the environment is as close to perfect as it can be for him to do his homework but he still can't focus.
Posted Image

#111 Qaadolip

Qaadolip
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Burning Blade
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Arms

Posted 02 April 2011 - 01:12 PM

That's the polar opposite of how we deal with him. We are doing everything we possibly can to get him to do the things he should be doing but as I've said before, no amount of time spent, drugs, etc and so on will make them want to change unless they want to make the change for themselves.

And we watch very little television at house. The only time we watch TV is once everything is done and we only watch it for an hour, an hour and a half at the maximum per day. When the children do their homework we eliminate all outside noise. Me and his mom sit on the couch with him and watch over him while he does his homework and we make sure the environment is as close to perfect as it can be for him to do his homework but he still can't focus.

How long have you been part of his structure? He's 10 years old, he's had plenty of time to develop behavioral patterns that would result in that sort of behavior if he hadn't been disciplined or supervised for the first 9 years of his life. It basically comes down to, like you say, him wanting to make the change. Parents have to force their kids to do a lot of things that the kids don't want to do while growing up, doing their homework is just one of them (for good parents.) Try finding whatever thing it is that he likes to do most and limit or eliminate his use of whatever that is when he doesn't do what he's supposed to. Don't give in if he gets off track and begs for it. Try this for a week or two, and if he did not get to play his favorite game or whatever for a solid week, and he still can't focus on anything, then maybe he really does have some sort of genetic predisposition to a sort attention span. If you've done these things already, then I'd just keep trying those different meds until you hopefully find one that works decently enough or try some other method.

#112 Zephi

Zephi
  • Members

Posted 02 April 2011 - 01:40 PM

Don't know anything about adhd, but I wish you all the best and hope that your kid makes the best of his life!

#113 Bigbadburks

Bigbadburks
  • Members
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • US-Undermine
  • Nightfall

Posted 03 April 2011 - 02:01 AM

How long have you been part of his structure? He's 10 years old, he's had plenty of time to develop behavioral patterns that would result in that sort of behavior if he hadn't been disciplined or supervised for the first 9 years of his life. It basically comes down to, like you say, him wanting to make the change. Parents have to force their kids to do a lot of things that the kids don't want to do while growing up, doing their homework is just one of them (for good parents.) Try finding whatever thing it is that he likes to do most and limit or eliminate his use of whatever that is when he doesn't do what he's supposed to. Don't give in if he gets off track and begs for it. Try this for a week or two, and if he did not get to play his favorite game or whatever for a solid week, and he still can't focus on anything, then maybe he really does have some sort of genetic predisposition to a sort attention span. If you've done these things already, then I'd just keep trying those different meds until you hopefully find one that works decently enough or try some other method.

We've tried (and still do) do the disciplinary methods you suggest. Doesn't work. He still can't focus even if he's trying to work for something he really wants.
Posted Image

#114 Guest_Optimistique_*

Guest_Optimistique_*

Posted 03 April 2011 - 03:07 AM

I've heard Strattera has shown the best results for children with ADHD, might wanna check it out.

#115 Bigbadburks

Bigbadburks
  • Members
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • US-Undermine
  • Nightfall

Posted 03 April 2011 - 12:17 PM

I've heard Strattera has shown the best results for children with ADHD, might wanna check it out.

We've tried it and unfortunately it makes the middle child vomit. When we tried it we had to experiment with it to see if he could stomach it. First we went by the doctors directions (with food,) then we tried it without food and we kept him on it for about a week but every day he vomited so we had to switch back to concerta.
Posted Image

#116 tmy

tmy

Posted 03 April 2011 - 02:46 PM

Posted Image

rofl you're a sick fuck jess :D

#117 Deyadissa

Deyadissa
  • Members

Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:06 AM

amazing how all your kids have ADHD

3 Children and all of them have ADHD? Dont you think that is a bit odd since even though it is often falsly diagnosed "only" 5% of the children are supposed to have it? Sure genetics are probably a factor but this seems to be to much of a coincidence.

Cool part is, it has a SIGNIFICANTLY HIGHER chance to happen compared the the world forming randomly. Anything compared to that makes chance look like a joke.

I believe him.

#118 Guest_Optimistique_*

Guest_Optimistique_*

Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:16 AM

I mentioned this in another thread, but there's an amazing book called "Boys Adrift". It covers a lot of topics concerning young boys and young men, but it really focuses on health issues that parents of boys need to be aware of. I highly recommend it, it's only 15 bucks or so and you can download a pdf version.

#119 Bigbadburks

Bigbadburks
  • Members
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • US-Undermine
  • Nightfall

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:06 AM

I mentioned this in another thread, but there's an amazing book called "Boys Adrift". It covers a lot of topics concerning young boys and young men, but it really focuses on health issues that parents of boys need to be aware of. I highly recommend it, it's only 15 bucks or so and you can download a pdf version.

Hrm. Not a bad idea. I may check it out. Thanks.
Posted Image

#120 lucyk

lucyk

Posted 04 April 2011 - 04:56 AM

Cool part is, it has a SIGNIFICANTLY HIGHER chance to happen compared the the world forming randomly. Anything compared to that makes chance look like a joke.

I believe him.

probably the dumbest argument i've ever heard in my life.
U maKe me Feel Like I'm liVin' a TEENAGE DREAM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users