Arena Junkies was shut down on July 1st, 2018. You're viewing an archive of this page from 2018-06-25 at 17:37. Thank you all for your support! Please get in touch via the Curse help desk if you need any support using this archive.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Rift Head Start - first Impression

• Please log in to reply
486 replies to this topic

#1 Renshei

Renshei
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Proudmoore
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents:

Posted 27 February 2011 - 10:27 AM

I came to this game with alot of skepticism what having played Age of Conan, Aion, 'and' warhammer only to see them all fall from grace from lack of end game and/or an over all generic feel to the gameplay all together. With rift, However, I must say that I've been pleasantly surprised. I told myself I wasn't going to buy it and convinced myself that it was probably just going to be another one generic game with lacking content either endgame or before. Well I'm only level 31 and so far I was wrong. Theres certain aspects that scared me, for instance, all races start in the same two starting areas. This, to me, gave off a sort of 'generic' undervibe in comparison to the game whos entire graphics engine was taken and reused, however,they managed to pull it off quite well I think - Maybe even for the better.
Having only two starting areas means that when you're leveling up a new character later on you're more likely to see other people in the same zone wether it's 3 in the morning or lunchtime on a workday.

One thing I've noticed so far is that rather than try to catch you with some really neat starting zone to 'lure' people in, theres no such gimick. The zones seem to just get better and better visually and the content is brimming in all of them. I'll admit, at first when I saw the rift thing and looked into it a bit, watched a few youtube videos etc, I thought 'oh brother public quest from warhammer all over again, bring on the generic' but after experiencing them first hand I must say they do add a neat dynamic feel to the leveling experience. It's almost like they're a relaxing break from working through quest for a long time only for everyone to come together to finish off a rift in a public group becaus, quite frankly, the experience is worth it. In fact, i quickly started noticing that people would stop whatever quest they were doing and immediately run to a freshly open rift to get in on the experience 'and' chance at loot.

Warfronts ( battlegrounds ) are pretty fun. I do feel like some of them are too big. They have a 15 on 15 capture the flag that seems to always end in stand offs where you dare not charge into them enemy or vice versa because you'll probably get blown up by range classes thus the standoff begins. Graphically, they look great and all but based off the first 3 the only on I liked so far was the 2nd one which is a 'domination' type BG like arathi basin which makes for alot more small time action like 4-4 at invidual nodes, very exciting.

The class combinations you can make are incredibly fun. At a glance, the talent trees might seem like a bit too much and 'hard to balance' but with a little further investigation of how they work etc, you only get enough points to get the core powerhouse abilities in 1 tree at a time, with another getting a few useful things, and the other just giving you a few base abilities with virtually zero talent points spent in it. Yes there are hybrid specs for sure, but over all, i think the higher tier abilities are too good to passup thus things are much easier to balance, atleast much more comparable to WoW, than anyone might think.

I've been having alot of fun. The transition coming from WoW is amazingly easy. Everything is absolutely WoW player friendly, and with 90% of the mmo population being based solely around WoW in the current day and age, this is a huge plus factor in the overall 'health' of rift as an mmo. Theres already a million people playing it, and from what I've sen, it should continue to grow assuming the end game content is there ( which supposedly it is ), we'll see.

In conclusion, I'm having fun and it was worth the 50 bucks. It's the most polished/content brimming/user friendly mmo I've seen to date.

Note - I would like to see arenas added at some point later one. The favor system is very much like the honor system but as for world pvp, theres really no incentive for it since warfronts are so much more conveniant assuming you get fast ques. I'd hate for the sole, most popular pvp method in the game to be a BG fest.. We'll see how that pans out.

#2 Fazzmania

Fazzmania
  • Premium
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Aman'Thul
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Assassination
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 27 February 2011 - 10:39 AM

good post mejt
Posted Image

#3 faction

faction
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Shadow

Posted 27 February 2011 - 10:41 AM

Anyone who has ever pvped in WoW at a remotely decent level (even like 1800) will spot all the flaws in its pvp pretty much instantly. There are no discernable animations for 90% of abilities, the only way to tell what spec someone is (and there's a ton of combinations) is to let them use their spells on you, and it has warhammer engine netcode and graphics meaning everything is a total clusterfuck and way too much is done client side meaning melee classes you think you're kiting will actually be hitting you from 30 yards away routinely.

If you like running in, randomly using your spells and killing some guy while he had no idea what you were doing to him or how to counter it because there is no way to tell, I guess it's a sweet game.

Don't get me wrong i'm playing it and it's fun but it is not in a million years going to a replacement for WoW arena nor will it ever be no matter how hard they try because the engine is just terrible, nor is it going to be remotely "competitive" if that's what you're after.

I'm taking it for what it is, which is a chance to relive the WoW Vanilla "run around and kill idiots in the world and make fun of them" days.

Edited by faction, 27 February 2011 - 10:43 AM.

Posted Image

#4 Renshei

Renshei
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Proudmoore
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents:

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:53 PM

Rift actually uses the same engine as world of warcraft.

#5 faction

faction
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:59 PM

Uh it's gamebryo. WOW IS NOT GAMEBRYO who told you that?
Posted Image

#6 Mokoshnek

Mokoshnek
  • Members
  • Worgenclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents:

Posted 27 February 2011 - 04:50 PM

they've said specifically they're not going to add arena or any rated ladder system

and yeah gamebyro is shit, it's same graphics engine as oblivion and warhammer, fun game though

#7 Csna

Csna
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • EU-Kor'gall
  • Cruelty / Crueldad
  • LocationPreston

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:20 PM

http://www.mmorpg.co...d/299550/page/1 that shud answer your questions on the game engine

#8 Imdoinme

Imdoinme
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Deathwing
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Affliction

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:21 PM

A bunch of my friends are playing it so I'll wait to here from them if they're still playing at top level before committing.

#9 bxc

bxc
  • Members
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • US-Stormreaver
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Subtlety 1/1/2/2/0/1/0

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:29 PM

Anyone who has ever pvped in WoW at a remotely decent level (even like 1800) will spot all the flaws in its pvp pretty much instantly. There are no discernable animations for 90% of abilities, the only way to tell what spec someone is (and there's a ton of combinations) is to let them use their spells on you, and it has warhammer engine netcode and graphics meaning everything is a total clusterfuck and way too much is done client side meaning melee classes you think you're kiting will actually be hitting you from 30 yards away routinely.

If you like running in, randomly using your spells and killing some guy while he had no idea what you were doing to him or how to counter it because there is no way to tell, I guess it's a sweet game.

Don't get me wrong i'm playing it and it's fun but it is not in a million years going to a replacement for WoW arena nor will it ever be no matter how hard they try because the engine is just terrible, nor is it going to be remotely "competitive" if that's what you're after.

I'm taking it for what it is, which is a chance to relive the WoW Vanilla "run around and kill idiots in the world and make fun of them" days.

I understand where you're coming from but I really get the impression you haven't played much. If I'm wrong then I apologize, but I used to feel EXACTLY how you do on every single point but not so anymore. The animations aren't great and I'll agree with that 100%. I am fairly confident they'll do an animation and sound update but that's my only real gripe at the moment.

Otherwise, I've always been a WoW PvPer since day 1 and don't find that the flaws to be that pronounced. The game plays differently but I haven't been in a single fight where I felt the mechanics or gameplay fucked me. I had well over 1000 kills in the beta, and almost all of those were from 1v1+ in the open world.

After some experience, I know what classes/souls are what and what abilities are being used against me. WoW was the same way when it launched- it was a bunch of clueless assholes running around not knowing what the hell was going on. You are right, of course, in that Rift is no substitute for WoW arena. However, as a dude who's been here for 9 seasons now, arena wore really fucking thin after S3. The game is just too fucked these days and Blizzard is absolutely clueless on how to make basic necessary adjustments. Did it really need to take this long for them to make the Colossus Smash change (with 4.1 PTR) instead of fucking ruining warriors, for example?

#10 faction

faction
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:37 PM

There's not even an animation for 95% of buffs/debuffs. Fear doesn't have any discernable animation for example and if you don't target the person and look at their debuffs you'd think they're just running around like a retard. My warlock instants all have the same animation while in WoW everything has a unique animation. etc etc

Also you must be kidding if you're complaining about balance in WoW while talking about going to Rift instead..

Edited by faction, 27 February 2011 - 06:38 PM.

Posted Image

#11 barradin

barradin
  • Members

Posted 27 February 2011 - 07:03 PM

Anyone who has ever pvped in WoW at a remotely decent level (even like 1800) will spot all the flaws in its pvp pretty much instantly.

Sup I'm a 2700 player? www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=115419
Rift's PvP is better than Cataclysm's.

#12 barradin

barradin
  • Members

Posted 27 February 2011 - 07:08 PM

The only information faction has is that Rift uses the same BASE engine that WAR used. What he doesn't know is that WAR and Rift heavily modified the BASE engine for their own game. In other words, the similarities between Rift and WAR are few. If imperfect animations dictated the quality/success of a game then Fallout 3 wouldn't have sold a box. Believe it or not some people want meat on their product, not shallow eye candy.

Games that use this engine,
Dark Age of Camelot
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
Sid Meier's Pirates!
Sid Meier's Civilization IV
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Drift City
Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning
Fallout 3
Bully: Scholarship Edition
LEGO Universe
Rift

#13 bxc

bxc
  • Members
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • US-Stormreaver
  • Rampage

Posted 27 February 2011 - 07:10 PM

Also you must be kidding if you're complaining about balance in WoW while talking about going to Rift instead..

rofl

#14 GLopez

GLopez
  • Junkies
  • Goblinclass_name
  • US-Emerald Dream
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Unholy 0/1/2/2/0/2

Posted 27 February 2011 - 07:23 PM

I was watching my boyfriend play last night, and the animation thing does seem like a huge deal. He blinded something and it was nearly impossible to tell. It was really like this mob was just randomly standing there.

Then in warfronts, it seemed like a clusterfuck where no one could tell what class is what.

It's disappointing. Every new game that comes out has to fail at one fundamental WOW made sure to have right. For WAR, it was combat lag. For Aion, it was slight combat lag and a really shitty grind. For this game, it seems to be animations.

Edited by GLopez, 27 February 2011 - 07:27 PM.

#15 faction

faction
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike

Posted 27 February 2011 - 07:41 PM

Sup I'm a 2700 player? www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=115419
Rift's PvP is better than Cataclysm's.

rofl wtf is that video a joke? what were you hoping to prove?
Posted Image

#16 GLopez

GLopez
  • Junkies
  • Goblinclass_name
  • US-Emerald Dream
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Unholy 0/1/2/2/0/2

Posted 27 February 2011 - 07:44 PM

That's Xjum, Faction.

#17 faction

faction
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike

Posted 27 February 2011 - 07:48 PM

I was watching my boyfriend play last night, and the animation thing does seem like a huge deal. He blinded something and it was nearly impossible to tell. It was really like this mob was just randomly standing there.

Then in warfronts, it seemed like a clusterfuck where no one could tell what class is what.

It's disappointing. Every new game that comes out has to fail at one fundamental WOW made sure to have right. For WAR, it was combat lag. For Aion, it was slight combat lag and a really shitty grind. For this game, it seems to be animations.

people here aren't going to acknowledge the problems. they're going to keep touting rift as the wow killer before quitting it in a month and quietly going back to wow then doing it all again when star wars comes out.
Posted Image

#18 barradin

barradin
  • Members

Posted 27 February 2011 - 08:02 PM

the two worst players on AJ circle jerking their blizzard devotion for one another
take their advice.

and i linked a video because it says my character is fucking shannanagins
great new website

#19 bxc

bxc
  • Members
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • US-Stormreaver
  • Rampage

Posted 27 February 2011 - 08:09 PM

People are being very real with the facts of Rift. I don't think anyone here disputes some of the deficiences when compared to WoW (i.e. the animations). I still play both games. But it's dishonest and retarded to bash a game that is perfectly fun and playable.

Come the fuck on, this site is supposed to represent the best of the best. Are you people fucking staring at your animations to monitor your CC? Do you just randomly blind/fear/etc shit in the arena to the point where your partners need to tunnel focus CC animation to know how many seconds are left on blind?

Good players call this shit out anyway and/or are fully coordinated. The animations are lackluster but it isn't the end of the world. Get a grip.

Edited by bxc, 27 February 2011 - 08:11 PM.

#20 faction

faction
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike

Posted 27 February 2011 - 08:10 PM

the two worst players on AJ circle jerking their blizzard devotion for one another
take their advice.

and i linked a video because it says my character is fucking shannanagins
great new website

you linked a joke pvp video to Prove Yourself To the Internet

good job dude you pwned em just like you'll pwn rift at MLG
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users