Vanguards Retribution Paladin PvP Guide (7.0.3)

• Please log in to reply
359 replies to this topic

#1 Vanguards

Vanguards
  • Administrators
  • Curse Premium
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Darkspear
  • Cyclone
  • Talents: Retribution 0/1/0/0/1/2/0
  • 2v2: 1672
  • 3v3: 2957
  • RBG: 1646

Posted 19 January 2011 - 02:14 PM

POPULAR

Retribution Paladin Guide (7.0.3)

This guide is written mainly for players new to playing retribution in arena / PvP.

What changed about Rets in 7.0.3?

1.) This is the pre-patch for Legion, Rets and many other specs have been changed completely.

2.) Abilities Removed: Hammer of Wrath, Exorcism, Blessing of Sacrifice, (baseline) Word of Glory, Emancipate, Divine Protection and all Seals

3.) Judgment now applies a debuff to the targets it deals damage to, increasing holy damage taken on spenders such as Templar's Verdict.

4.) Talents are completely changed.

5.) You can use a total of 3 blessings at any time. For example, without a party you can have all 3 buffs on yourself. In 3v3 your DPS and yourself can have Might while your healer can have Kings.

6.) Glyphs are Removed.

7.) Hands became Blessings. Make sure to update your macros!

PvP Talents

Posted Image

In the talent picture I selected talents that I use as default in arena. Talents and Glyphs should be changed every arena match depending on what composition you're playing, what you're up against, and what strategy you and your opponent might execute.

Level 15:
Highly Recommended: Final Verdict

This increases your Final Verdict damage by 20%. Currently the other 2 talents just don't beat out the damage you can gain from Final Verdict in a PvP scenario.

Level 30
Recommended: Zeal and More Testing Needed

This tier is much more debated than the level 15 one. Some people prefer The Fires of Justice which is higher single target DPS if you can use CS on CD. I find this rarely ever occurs in PvP especially now with our lack of mobility so I prefer Zeal which deals more damage on a longer CD and also can cleave. Greater Judgment is also not bad, this tier needs to be tested more.

Level 45
Recommended: Fist of Justice

Logic here for Fist is very similar to WoD, the other 2 talents are mostly used if you want to strategize around them. Repentance is somewhat improved in the fact that it doesn't use the CD if you cast it on a Beast, but you'll require a lot of effort to land it especially on Druids. Blind is essentially the same as before, not very useful unless you want to rush a game.

Level 60
Recommended: Virtue's Blade or Blade of Wrath

Burst vs Consistent Damage. Divine Hammer lowers the damage too much to be used in an arena setting, but perhaps in Battlegrounds it could be used.

Level 75
Recommended: Any

All 3 talents here are quite unique in what they do. I usually default to Eye for an Eye when I queue skirmishes since that talent is amazing for fighting Melee. If there is no melee on the opposing side any of the other 2 talents will obviously perform better. Try to use Justicar's Vengeance in stuns. Word of Glory is the best if you're not being targeted at all, but you have to be very close to your healer or whoever is getting hit (think small Holy Nova.)

Level 90
Recommended: Divine Steed or Seal of Light

Our Mobility in this pre-patch is horrible, and definitely needs a talent to help it. Both these talents help mobility, Divine Steed is burst and doesn't spend holy power while Seal of Light will keep us 20% faster nearly the entire game.

Level 100
Recommended: Divine Purpose or Holy Wrath

Holy Wrath does 50% of your missing HP as damage. This is incredible burst, but requires very specific scenarios to be used effectively and has a long CD. Divine Purpose is a more consistent choice.

Glyphs
Removed

Gems / Enchants / Stats
Gear is scaled in Arena, in general it has a much smaller relevance in PvP. This is still being tested, but the stat-priority assumption is:

Strength>Versatility>Haste>Mastery>Crit

Viable Ret Comps
Still being tested.

What rotation do you use in PvP?
There is no "specific" rotation in PvP.

The best I can give you is this in terms of a PvE Damage Rotation:

1. Virtue's Blade or Blade of Wrath to generate Holy Power
2. Crusader Strike to generate Holy Power
3. Judgment (provides debuff that gives your holy power spenders with more damage)
4. Execution Sentence if talented
5. Justicar's Vengeance if talented using Divine Purpose Proc (also talented) only
6. Templar's Verdict to spend holy power.

What macros does Ret have for PvP?
Macros are largely preference. I use a lot of focus and party target macros. The goal is to be able to use your spells without changing your target.
Add #showtooltip to the start of these macros if you want to see it.
Some other general macros:
1.) Focus HOJ
/cast [target=focus] Hammer of Justice

2.) Focus Repent
/cast [target=focus] Repentance

3.) Focus Rebuke
/cast [target=focus] Rebuke

4.) Focus Judgment
/cast [target=focus] Judgment

The Support Macros I Personally Use:
(switch x with number or partyx with Toon Name)

5.) Blessing of Protection
/cast [target=partyX] Blessing of Protection

6.) Blessing of Freedom
/cast [target=partyX] Blessing of Freedom

7.) Word of Glory
/cast [target=partyX] Word of Glory

8.) Flash of Light
/cast [target=partyX] Flash of Light

Trinkets
Get the 3min CD medallion. This is your only choice currently. You will receive it once you enter a battleground or arena in your General spellbook tab.

General Arena Tips
Ret is a hybrid melee, with a large role to supporting your teammates. We have good burst damage during wings, but outside of that we're a bit gimped. We have some off heals and good support, but we're also incredibly easy to CC as a melee class.
As a ret pally, you always have to remember you ARE NOT a warrior. You need to watch your partners the entire game. Do not waste your off heals, and blessings. In an arena match my eyes are on my party screen the most.

Ret PvP Stream
http://twitch.tv/VanguardsTV   - My (Vanguards) Twitch.TV Stream! Be sure to follow!

Ret PvP Page / Question Page
http://www.twitter.com/VanguardsTV
http://www.facebook.com/samk920

Ret PvP Videos
Check out these channels:
http://www.youtube.com/SamK920
http://www.youtube.com/WoWSpotlights

Thanks for reading, I hope this helped you out. Post any other questions you have! If you have specific questions for me you can tweet it to me on twitter.

By Vanguards / Sam
http://twitch.tv/VanguardsTV - Stream (Follow to know when I'm live!)
http://twitter.com/VanguardsTV - Twitter
http://facebook.com/Samk920 - Facebook

http://youtube.com/SamK920 - YouTube Videos

#2 Jecks

Jecks
  • Premium Junkies
  • Curse Premium
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • US-Whisperwind
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Holy

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:22 PM

Good guide. Ret is a very gear dependent spec IMO, the "how much gear do I need to arena" should be removed. Instead, I would talk about best options for a Pvp dps trinket for those who are and are not raiders.

So glad someone made a ret guide instead of another holy one.
GJ vanguards

#3 krymme

krymme
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Retribution

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:41 PM

+rep

#4 Vanguards

Vanguards
  • Administrators
  • Curse Premium
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Darkspear
  • Cyclone

Posted 19 January 2011 - 11:14 PM

thanks! I've changed the trinket / gearing area slightly just now as from Jecks recommendation

#5 Jecks

Jecks
  • Premium Junkies
  • Curse Premium
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • US-Whisperwind
  • Rampage

Posted 19 January 2011 - 11:55 PM

heres a macro that saves like 200-250 ms on your first hammer
[QUOTE]#showtooltip
/cast Avenging Wrath
/cast hammer of wrath
[/QUOTE]

#6 innrey

innrey
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • EU-Свежеватель Душ
  • Шквал

Posted 19 January 2011 - 11:57 PM

Crit build. I have hast build

#7 Rashnu

Rashnu
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Magtheridon
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Holy 2/0/2/2/./0/2
  • 2v2: 1867
  • 3v3: 2304
  • RBG: 1626

Posted 20 January 2011 - 03:21 AM

The Naaru Council has informed that your guide only supports one path to glory. For there are many paths. I have found a potential path to greater wisdom for that shit is gold.
Gift of the naaru wins games.

#8 Kadryelx

Kadryelx
  • Junkies
  • Trollclass_name
  • US-Lethon
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Retribution 1/0/0/2/0/0

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:34 AM

My Turn Evil macro:

/cast [@arenapet1,harm][@arenapet2,harm][@arenapet3,harm][@arenapet4,harm][@arenapet5,harm][@mouseover,harm][]Turn Evil

simply press the macro and it will automatically fear any pets that's fearable, and if u want to fear a DK with Lichborne or a gargoyle just mouseover
Posted Image

#9 Getzy

Getzy
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Turalyon
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents:

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:48 AM

I don't think you should advise that we should forge into pure Mastery come patch 4.0.6 until more testing is done.

The new Mastery is still being worked on within the PTR and nothing is final. As of today's new build Redcape's current numbers still show Mastery as our worst stat, just barely coming behind Crit/Haste (which is better than before).

I believe that we should still try and balance out our secondary stats--which are of course, Crit/Mastery for PvP--if these changes go live then we wont change a thing on how we reforge.

Good guide overall, though.

#10 Kadryelx

Kadryelx
  • Junkies
  • Trollclass_name
  • US-Lethon
  • Nightfall

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:56 AM

lets say u crit a mage for 20k with Templar's Verdict with 8 Mastery, dont you think 36.8% dmg increase on it is bad? I mean it's AWESOME for burst, idk about substained dmg for pve tho but who cares about pve? I'm also pretty sure Inquisition makes it scale even better (and it's undispellable in 4.0.6)

8 mastery on a 20k TV = 27360... that's with base mastery and 20k on a mage isnt rare.

the burst it will be able to put out with undispellable Inquisition and undispellable Zealotry is going to be rediculous with a huge amount of mastery
Posted Image

#11 Getzy

Getzy
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Turalyon
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents:

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:09 AM

I don't know where you got the idea that burst is more damage in an arena game than net DPS. Is it a comp issue? Can you not stick on your target? Whatever it is, the illusion of bigger numbers transferring into "better" is false in an Arena environment and PvE enviroment.

Log into the PTR for yourself and test it out; it may just be another preference issue. However, I've reforged into all Mastery and have balanced out both secondary stats (Crit/Mastery) and balancing out my stats has shown to be of greater value.

#12 Navariumx

Navariumx
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • EU-Skullcrusher
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • RBG: 1775
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:16 PM

[quote name='Androff']My Turn Evil macro:

/cast [@arenapet1,harm][@arenapet2,harm][@arenapet3,harm][@arenapet4,harm][@arenapet5,harm][@mouseover,harm][]Turn Evil

simply press the macro and it will automatically fear any pets that's fearable, and if u want to fear a DK with Lichborne or a gargoyle just mouseover[/QUOTE]

Mouseover should be placed first, else it will go through all arenapetN unitID's. If you want to fear a DK, simply put arenaN into the macro aswell. (for arenas)

So for this macro, it will be DK's with Lichborne --> Fearable pets --> Mouseover --> Target priority.

[code]/use [@arena1,harm][@arena2,harm][@arena3,harm][@arena4,harm][@arena5,harm][@arenapet1,harm][@arenapet2,harm][@arenapet3,harm][@arenapet4,harm][@arenapet5,harm][@mouseover,harm][]Turn Evil[/code]

#13 Elalith

Elalith
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Auchindoun
  • Vindication

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:43 PM

+ rep
king of rets
Posted Image

#14 Guest_Alphatier_*

Guest_Alphatier_*

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:15 PM

very nice guide, thanks man :)

#15 Camatcs

Camatcs
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:52 PM

Most of the melee cleaves that involved ret still work just fine, and post patch some old ret comps come back to life!

And nice guide too, enjoyed the read =)

#16 Kadryelx

Kadryelx
  • Junkies
  • Trollclass_name
  • US-Lethon
  • Nightfall

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:36 PM

im prolly gonna run ret hunter druid next patch ^_^
Posted Image

#17 Vanguards

Vanguards
  • Administrators
  • Curse Premium
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Darkspear
  • Cyclone

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:11 PM

thx every1!

@kadryel and  navariumlol

that's a pretty advanced turnevil macro, i'll definitely give it a try myself too

#18 Vanguards

Vanguards
  • Administrators
  • Curse Premium
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Darkspear
  • Cyclone

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:40 AM

queing ret lock sham on stream for neone interested

edit: done for today

#19 Damius

Damius
  • Premium Junkies
  • Curse Premium
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Destruction 0/2/2/0/2/0
  • 2v2: 1693
  • 3v3: 1967
  • RBG: 192
  • LocationCopenhagen

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:17 AM

Just searched for your name to check out gearing for my pala alt - and this brand new guide came up! Thx a lot, helped out :)

#20 Jimos

Jimos
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • RBG: 384

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:06 AM

My turn evil macro is pretty insane too:

/cast Turn evil

What you do is press tab, press the macro and press tab once more and you win at life.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

<