allana
  • Premium Junkies
  • Curse Premium
  • Trollclass_name
  • EU-Kazzak
  • Misery
  • Talents: Balance 0/0/2/1/1/2

Posted 17 January 2011 - 02:54 PM

Per Naax's suggestion, I'm adding mine as well as I've touched a few other topics, I guess a merger would be the best but for now having multiple viewpoints should be a good thing! On to the good stuff.

Paladin compendium for Cataclysm PvP

Holy

Looking at popular specs today we will note that the most common one is 31/5/5. Variations of this spec catches the most important talents from the early ret- and prot trees as well as most of the good stuff in the holy tree. Lets have a look at what we can get!

Talent specializations
http://www.wowhead.c...cIodrkukfohbZcb

This spec utilises a bit more offensive pressure with the 'denounce' talent, effectively making you able to use exorcism and holy shock for some damage (without it the mana cost is ridiculously high). I'd recommend this spec if you intend to play 2v2

http://www.wowhead.c...cIbzrkudfohbZcb

This spec, on the other hand, gives you slightly more healing which is probably favorable at the moment, due to how little you can actually go on the offense.

Now, to explain some choices here. The talent Light of Dawn (our 31-pointer) is useless for PvP. It heals very little and forces your team mates to group up making it solely a PvE heal. It had its uses before when it could be cast while silenced, but has since then been changed and is no longer a viable talent in any way.

Besides this we've got a talent to increase our spell hit, our aura mastery for when we just cannot be interrupted (or your team mates, remember that) and some great AoE healing via Beacon of Light and Protector of the Innocent.

The last mentioned talents are very interesting because they allow you to heal multiple targets at the same time. As we do not have any heal over time spells we're kind of forced to ”turret” our heals into one target. This makes it so you need to heal yourself less and also helps a team mate out. Besides this, if you use Divine Light or Flash of Light on your beacon'ed target, you receive holy power for more Words of Glory.

New mechanics since Cataclysm hit

We've got a new resource system called Holy Power. You generate Holy Power in various ways, by using holy shock, crusader strike, being hit (if holy specced) or being stunned (if ret). These are more or less like combo points for a Rogue, but they're ”on yourself” You can accumulate up to three of these, and there's a number of abilities you can use in conjunction with your holy power. Namely, Word of Glory, Light of Dawn (holy talent), Inquisition (+Bonus holy damage, short duration unless ret specced), Shield of Righteousness (prot specced) or Templar's Verdict (ret specced).

As a Holy paladin, you will only really use Word of Glory unless you're going all-out offensive, in which case a 12-second Inquisition can help you do some more damage.

Besides this, we've gotten an AoE heal called Holy Radiance. This spell heals everyone around you and if you talent into Speed of Light (which you will), you can activate it as a short-time Sprint. Highly useful to kite, but very mana costly so use it with caution.

Now let's take a look at our base healing abilities. We've got Holy Light which is slow and cheap, but heals for a quite low amount. We have Flash of Light which is fast, expensive and heals for a moderate amount and last, but not least we have Divine Light  which is costly, slow and heals for a large amount. With the talent Infusion of Light we get very fast Divine Light/Holy Light procs which makes it easier to get them off. Thus, Holy Shock is very very valuable and should probably be cast on cooldown.

Macros
In general, we're not very dependent on macros (at least not like Warriors are), but some of them are still very helpful. I'll list the ones I use and add in some suggestions as well. Most important of all is to have macros to your Cleanse spell. Personally I'm no huge fan of [target=arena partner] cleanse macros but a lot of people swear by them, so I'll list it here as well.

Cleansing a team mate
/cast [target=name] Cleanse

Very simplistic, if you want to have it bound for every player in your team, or the one you need to cleanse the most.

Mouseover or target Turn Evil
#showtooltip

/cast [target=mouseover, exists, harm] Turn Evil; Turn Evil

The ability to fear a Gargoyle quickly is very helpful.

Focus macros

Hammer of Justice
#showtooltip

/cast [target=focus] Hammer of Justice;

The Hammer of Justice part can be repalced with Judgement, Exorcism or whatever else you want to use it for.

Cancelaura Divine Plea
/cancelaura Divine Plea
Self explanatory. You need this most of the time because your partners might get bursted. Just put it on some semi-obscure bind and click it right before you finish your cast.

Stop casting macros
These are helpful because you can Juke with them and it might be worth it to interrupt a cast especially to Cleanse.
Holy Shock
#showtooltip

/stopcasting

/cast Holy Shock

Cleanse

#showtooltip

/stopcasting

/cast [target=mouseover,exists,help] Cleanse; [help] Cleanse; [target=player]Cleanse
This does a mouseover Cleanse if there is a target available, otherwise it will cast it on your current target. If all else fails, it will cast it on you.

Glyphs
For glyphs, you should use any three of the four prime ones (I personally don't use Divine Favor, so my list is Word of Glory, Holy Shock and Seal of Insight). For major, there's a bit more flexibility. I personally use Divine Plea as I like getting some mana in, Turn Evil is a no-brainer and for the last spot I use Cleansing because the reduction in mana cost is very, very helpful. A lot of people use Beacon of Light glyph instead of the Divine Plea though, and it might very well be worth more mana, especially if your beacon gets dispelled a lot.

Interesting tricks for Paladins and healers in general
Now, Holy Paladins are all about positioning. It's the one thing I'm constantly trying to become better at, especially during pressed situations (partner dying and you're being constantly crowdcontrolled). If you want to be a Master Cleric, master hiding behind boxes, pillars and tombstones first.

Juking/Fake casting
This is something that's especially helpful against Mages and Warlocks. Now, it's not completely awesome because you'll still be locked out for some time (due to the silence effect on Counterspell and Spell Lock) but at least the duration will be halved. The easiest way to do this is to start casting and then cancelling the cast maybe half a second in. The Cleanse macro I use is very helpful here, just use it twice and you can spend the global dispelling your partner instead, and hopefully you'll juke the interrupt as well. Win win!

Healing & Drinking.
Sometimes we gotta drink, not so much any more as games are still ending with burst but you might be in the position where you've got to sneak in a drink. My suggestion then is to start casting a big heal to top off your partner (you need to be out of combat before the cast ends) and while casting you spam your drink hotkey. If successful, you will heal your friend and sit down drinking afterwards. This is due to server lag and will probably never be fixed. I've used it for many seasons personally, it's up to you if you consider it an exploit, though.

Sacrifice out of CC
This is very wellknown and is the major usage of our ability Hand of Sacrifice. Prior to Cataclysm we had another one of these effects but since it's no longer in the game, you'll have to make due with this. The idea is that when used, it transfers some of the damage taken from your target you, meaning it will instantly break Blind, Polymorph, Sap and repentance. Add to the fact that your target takes less damage it's an excellent cooldown to use when you need to mitigate damage as well, and you're not going to get crowdcontrolled.

Hammer of Justice
Our stun, it's usually easy to tell when it's coming due to the Paladin who usually is at max range starts running towards the fray. An idea is to get out of combat and mount up before stunning, this way they won't have a chance to run away.

A free proc of Crusade
Something interesting I noted the other day - if you have the talent Crusade (most holy paladins will have it), that increases your Holy Shock by 30% for 3 points, there's a neat trick you can do in the arena. Shadow Apparitions, that are procced by Shadow Priests, walk slowly and have but 5 health points. Thus, a good target for your Judgement. Why?

When killed, they count as an honorable/exp kill, effectively giving your next Holy Light a 300% increase. This means that instead of healing for ~12k it will heal for 30k without critting.

Specific Composition tactics (By Lx)

Holy Paladin Setups

Meleecleaves: Most holy paladins play this. Strong defensive cooldowns allow your melees to keep the pressure up  and be free while not going defensive themselves. Positioning and fakecasting is crucial playing this setup. Almost all silences and interrupts will go on you, most of the CCs too. Eating CC chains will make your team defensive which is bad for this type of team. Rotate cooldowns smart, cleanse fast and stay next to a pillar avoiding enemy casters. You won't have alot of time assisting in damage so specing defensive/high healing output will help you.

:warrior: :deathknight: :paladin: TSG - Really strong wrath cleave. You will need to keep both warrior and death knight free at all times while avoiding CC chains as much as possible. Assist in enemy healer switches.
:warrior: :druid: :paladin: Kittycleave - Really high damage/burst team. Make sure you keep an eye on warrior more then druid because he can shift out of roots and slows so freedoms and most cleanses should be on warrior.
:warrior: :shaman: :paladin: You will have easier time healing in this team due to tremor and bloodlust.
:deathknight: :druid: :paladin: Like the warrior version with less damage/burst but more control and lockdown.
:hunter: :deathknight: :paladin: PHD - Another powerhouse from wrath. Heavy damage with good CC and mobility. Assist in CC chains, keep your hunter free and make sure you practice kiting with him.
Other setups that work: :druid: :shaman: :paladin:, :deathknight: :shaman: :paladin:, :rogue: :druid: :paladin:

Spellcleaves Consists of two casters and a healer. You will take alot less CCs and interrupts but games might be long and sometimes you will be vurnable to switches. Mana regen gear is good for this. Specing in denounce is helpful because you will have time to assist in damage and CCs.Be prepared to heal heavy ammounts of damage on your cloth partners.

:mage: :priest: :paladin: This team has two defensive dispels. Use it! Keep your priest free, and your priest should keep you free. Assist in damage as much as you can. Keep that pillar close.
:warlock: :mage: :paladin: Heavy CC team. This time you won't have second dispel so make sure you avoid those CCs while assisting your casters.
Other setups that work: :priest: :warlock: :paladin:

Melee/Caster/Healer Normal/balanced team. You have a caster controling enemy team while your melee is doing damage. Position yourself behind your caster but close enough to your melee partner. Keep them free and topped. Work with your caster partner, kite with him, assist him in control and help him with getting casts off.

:warrior: :mage: :paladin: WMP - Really strong cataclysm setup. Mage control paired with warrior's damage. Keep warrior free, follow your mage and keep him away from other melees.
:rogue: :mage: :paladin: Really strong survivability setup. Damage is not great but you can survive anything. This setup is really good against mages but hard against shadowcleave likes. Keep rogue free, help mage with casts and keep that mana up.
:warrior: :warlock: :paladin: WLP - Simillar to WMP but with less burst and more constant damage. Help your warlock totemstomp, keep warrior free and assist in switches.
:deathknight: :warlock: :paladin: Shadowcleave - Really strong multi-target setup.
Other setups that work: :rogue: :warlock: :paladin:, :rogue: :priest: :paladin:

Double healer Not that great in cataclysm due to high damage output and priest's not being in a good position. Mana regen geming, reforging. This games will be mana wars so practice mana managment.

:druid: :paladin: :shaman: Resto shaman and holy paladin have everything to keep themselves free. Work together, heal in shifts, assist eachother while your feral is trying to oom the enemy healer. Keep your mana up.
Other setups that work: :warrior: :paladin: :priest:, :paladin: :shaman: :deathknight:

Ret / Prot
Not my area of expertise, someone else is going to have to do this part.

#2 Rapture

Rapture
  • Administrators
  • Curse Premium

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:10 PM

Very nice! Thanks for putting this up! Would love to see if anyone has any feedback for the Ret / Prot side of the guide :P

#3 Hevan

Hevan
  • Junkies
  • Goblinclass_name
  • EU-Talnivarr
  • Reckoning / Abrechnung
  • Talents: Elemental
  • RBG: 2692

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:37 PM

Nice ;) The more guides the better! =)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 Jecks

Jecks
  • Premium Junkies
  • Curse Premium
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • US-Whisperwind
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Holy

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:44 PM

-_-

#5 allana

allana
  • Premium Junkies
  • Curse Premium
  • Trollclass_name
  • EU-Kazzak
  • Misery

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:56 AM

Added a new section by Lx. Hope you all like it!
“As you think, you shall become.” -Pook

#6 allana

allana
  • Premium Junkies
  • Curse Premium
  • Trollclass_name
  • EU-Kazzak
  • Misery

Posted 27 January 2011 - 08:47 AM

Added a new trick about Shadow Apparitions.
“As you think, you shall become.” -Pook

#7 Arrann

Arrann
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Holy 0/0/1/2/2/0
  • 2v2: 1463
  • 3v3: 2035

Posted 27 January 2011 - 08:52 AM

it also works for the imps summoned by curse of doom
Xfire: Arrannlol

The Paladin Slayer
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

#8 Polizei

Polizei
  • Premium Junkies
  • Curse Premium
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • EU-Al'Akir
  • Blackout
  • Talents: Retribution

Posted 27 January 2011 - 11:28 AM

[quote name='allana']Added a new trick about Shadow Apparitions.[/QUOTE]

Typoed 300% to 30%, very nice trick tho.
<poliisi mies kerho>

#9 allana

allana
  • Premium Junkies
  • Curse Premium
  • Trollclass_name
  • EU-Kazzak
  • Misery

Posted 27 January 2011 - 11:33 AM

[quote name='Polizei']Typoed 300% to 30%, very nice trick tho.[/QUOTE]

it is 300%!