#22 webskings

webskings
  • Members

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:54 PM

#23 Trixzydin

Trixzydin
  • Members

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:39 AM

if you copy the url from the sigpic you can get the site.
I will update this thread with some more in-depth control and maybe abit more on setups later on, irl stuff first (:

#24 paper

paper
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Frost 0/2/0/2/0/2
  • RBG: 192

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:44 PM

No rmp in the 3s section. :[

#25 Sepium

Sepium
  • Members

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:34 AM

The PvP hitcap for a mage is 4% in cataclysm. With one exception, Night Elf racial [Quickness] this gives you 2% more needed hit to hit Night Elf's so try going for just a tiny bit more than 4%. I suggest somewhere around 5% without sacrificing too much of other stats.

The night elf racial is only against melee and ranged attacks, not spells, soo 4% is enought.

#26 dekyz

dekyz
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents:
  • RBG: 1143

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:31 PM

you must have really small hands to not bind rfctgvyhb

#27 Acid18

Acid18
  • Members
  • Taurenclass_name
  • EU-Sunstrider
  • Blackout
  • Talents: Fury

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:29 AM

Cheapest WOW Gold on Sale! Buy now and get 10% Bonus free gold!
egpal

how is this guy not banned yet.

Also thanks, gonna make that sig now for my infinite characters.

#28 Tuz

Tuz
  • Members

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:24 PM

Is the mastery>haste maintaned by the general opinion?

#29 TooLoftheDeviL

TooLoftheDeviL
  • Members

Posted 11 February 2011 - 03:13 PM

So I'm trying to make the jump from high end PvE to doing PvP. I've read this guide as well as many others. I've got the spec and the gear and the macros, which is what all these guides seem to focus on. But I'm missing a basic understanding of wtf to do. To simplify:

What advice would you give your little sister, playing YOUR mage in YOUR comp, to expect a reasonable degree of success?

#30 Xandér

Xandér
  • Members

Posted 12 February 2011 - 05:13 AM

During Arena should you keep your pet on Defensive or Passive? I had mine on Defensive and I think he kept breaking my polymorph.

#31 Trixzydin

Trixzydin
  • Members

Posted 14 February 2011 - 12:19 AM

So I'm trying to make the jump from high end PvE to doing PvP. I've read this guide as well as many others. I've got the spec and the gear and the macros, which is what all these guides seem to focus on. But I'm missing a basic understanding of wtf to do. To simplify:

What advice would you give your little sister, playing YOUR mage in YOUR comp, to expect a reasonable degree of success?

It really depends on the setup, I feel like I'm more of the ccbot while others kill stuff, 1dps smashes while you DF - RoF -> CS -> your teammates some cc -> sheep etc... Just try to be the one controlling while doing some damage thats usually what I do. so throw in those icelances and some casts off if the cc'ed one is on a long cc.

During Arena should you keep your pet on Defensive or Passive? I had mine on Defensive and I think he kept breaking my polymorph.

I have mine on passive with different keybindings to put it into follow and one to attack, follow is for mirror images, they usually start attacking random target(healer mostly) and you can control them to follow you by using your water elementals command to do that. Then just put water elementals attack into the target your killing and your mirrors should to the same (they always dont.)

#32 Xintria

Xintria
  • Members
  • Goblinclass_name
  • EU-Ravenholdt
  • Misery
  • Talents: Frost

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:16 PM

Quite a nice guide.

#33 Trixzydin

Trixzydin
  • Members

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:55 PM

Updated with some info after patch.
Please point out errors if you find any since the editbox is kinda small ;)

#34 soullik

soullik
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Drak'thul
  • Reckoning / Abrechnung

Posted 02 March 2011 - 09:00 AM

Great guide but maybe you can change description of WMP and add shattertree which is by my opinion comp with best cc nowadays :)
WMP is quite weaker this patch due to pala and constantly trained mage without possible help from teammates
Posted Image

#35 Trixzydin

Trixzydin
  • Members

Posted 02 March 2011 - 09:55 AM

Great guide but maybe you can change description of WMP and add shattertree which is by my opinion comp with best cc nowadays :)
WMP is quite weaker this patch due to pala and constantly trained mage without possible help from teammates

Yeah will do (;

#36 Xintria

Xintria
  • Members
  • Goblinclass_name
  • EU-Ravenholdt
  • Misery

Posted 08 March 2011 - 03:45 PM

I would like to add few more things I find useful as a mage.

Controlling elemental:
Elemental is very important part of our game at the moment so please don't underestimate him.

There is mine few tips for effective use of him.

Bind /petattack [target=mouseover,exists][exists] to the shift + wheel up
/petfollow to the shift + wheel down
/petmoveto to the ctrl + wheel up

Use the following elemental macro:

#showtooltip Freeze
/cast [nopet] Summon Water Elemental
/cast Freeze
/petattack
(you don't have to use this if you don't want pet to attack right after summoning or casting freeze)

Always keep your elemental on passive so you will be sure he is not breaking your sheep.
Also I'm using POWER AURAS to show me overlay and play sound when FREEZE is ready.
That is probably all I would like to say about elemental.

More macros:
I found those few macros useful:

Ice Barrier/Mana Shield:(Macro which Cast Ice Barrier when out of CD, otherwise Mana Shield)
#showtooltip
/castsequence reset=20 Ice Barrier, Mana Shield, Mana Shield

Ice Lance mouseover: (Use for Fireblast/Deep Freeze also if you want impact stun/freeze on mouseover)
#showtooltip Ice Lance
/cast [target=mouseover,exists][exists] Ice Lance

Mana Gem (conjure with alt modifier /use)
#showtooltip Mana Gem
/cast [mod:alt] Conjure Mana Gem
/use Mana Gem

Spellsteal:
#showtooltip
/stopcasting
/cast Spellsteal
/cancelaura Hand of Sacrifice

Addons:
Power Auras Clasis - best addon I came across, need a bit of getting use, but then you are able to set exact informations you wanna know. If your spell is usable, ready or how much cd it still have. Enemy buffs & debuffs warning with timer and sound when it ends. Especially as you can add sound to any of those effects it makes very efficient use of the auras. I highly recommend to use this in pvp.

DocsNameplates - nameplates which shows you casting bar of all enemies around you, not just your target. Even small icon of spell is there so you can very quickly get the knowledge what other people cast. Also small icons of important buffs/debuffs next to nameplate (Barkskin, Blessings, Ice Block, Paladin Bubble) everything with timers of course.

The other addons I use are quite standart and I don't think I have to name the here.

Tips:

When you summon mirror images immediately use /petfollow and /petattack so they will focus only on your target and will not break your CC's.

If rogue uses Smoke Bomb AOE the place so he can't get out of combat and hide or bandage himself.

If you're fighting DK or Rogue always blink after Death Grip/Shadowstep, never before.

For opening again sheeped target use frostfire bolt so you can use frostbolt with fast cast bonus after when you will need it more.

Don't forget that your frostfire orb has a chance to proc Fingers of Frost by every hit it does. Also if you send frostfire orb to rogue who is going to vanish he is most likely going to be hit and unstealted. So you can prevent him from reset.

I do apologize for my typos and I hope someone can use any of those informations.
I will edit topic if I'll realize anything else I'd like to share.

Friendly goblin
Xintria

#37 Dynalei

Dynalei
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Unholy
  • RBG: 766

Posted 12 March 2011 - 02:43 PM

op

#38 botj

botj
  • Members

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:55 PM

Was a good read, thanks. The tips for the water elemental were really useful, I am using that macro now thanks to you!
Posted Image
Personal WoW Guide to gold! ^^

#39 J.D

J.D
  • Members

Posted 02 April 2011 - 01:54 PM

Great guide, going to start levelling a Mage pretty soon to play arena seriously with a few friends.

#40 Pavils

Pavils
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Discipline 0/0/0/1/1/1
  • RBG: 2224

Posted 11 April 2011 - 02:19 PM

Thanks for the great guide!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users