Photo
- - - - -

Why do Rated BGs when you can just do arena?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 Sovereign1

Sovereign1
  • Members
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • EU-Kul Tiras
  • Reckoning / Abrechnung
  • Talents: Elemental

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:34 PM

Guys, just in case you didn't know Bloodx from Agamaggan beat hydramist in rated battlegrounds.

Psst bloodx m8 i think everyone is now fully aware that u guys r reallly guud and r have all the respects from aj.
You're a Wizard Harry!

#42 Areohvee

Areohvee
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Dunemaul
  • Cyclone
  • Talents: Discipline

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:23 AM

Why?

I see no additional benefits?

arenas for ppl who cant affort the wotlk expansion, old business

if MLG offered RBG coverage it would easily get 2x the viewers of arena

RandomDev: Hey guys, we totally pissed off the entire arena community by issuing a major content patch near the end of a season for the second time in a row, what should we do to hand them a bone?

GC: Update armory on the last week so they can't see their ranking.

support #rated on irc.gamesurge

#43 bighandxyz

bighandxyz
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Fenris
  • Whirlwind
  • Talents: Blood 0/2/0/0/1/0
  • RBG: 2041

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:37 AM

arenas for ppl who cant affort the wotlk expansion, old business

if MLG offered RBG coverage it would easily get 2x the viewers of arena

no it wouldn't. It would be the most boring thing to watch.

There's a reason why most E-sport games features small number of players. Because it is the difficulty of personal skill and acknowledged of those skills that make a game fun to watch as E-sport. RBG spreads personal involvement by too much and thus makes it alot less acknowledged and enjoyable for viewing

#44 Korialstrasz

Korialstrasz
  • Korial
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Darksorrow
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Fury

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:42 AM

You're wrong, the reason why WoW arena isn't so popular compared to the amount of people playing the game is because they can't keep track of everything thats happening or the tactics.

People find it much easier to understand a WSG/AB type of thing, where its about capping flags or bases.

Warrior survivability is overpowered entirely due to self-healing, though. That can only be changed by nerfing Blood Craze and Second Wind.

#45 Astéar1296683743

Astéar1296683743
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Garona
  • Embuscade / Hinterhalt
  • Talents: Balance

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:50 AM

They need to add a better attack and defend map.

#46 Areohvee

Areohvee
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Dunemaul
  • Cyclone
  • Talents: Discipline

Posted 19 January 2011 - 01:20 PM

There's a reason why most E-sport games features small number of players. Because it is the difficulty of personal skill and acknowledged of those skills that make a game fun to watch as E-sport. RBG spreads personal involvement by too much and thus makes it alot less acknowledged and enjoyable for viewing

most people would rather watch something that requires more skill/teamwork

i take it you prefer watching table fooseball over the real thing too
its ok, by the numbers someone had to be unluckily born in mississippi

RandomDev: Hey guys, we totally pissed off the entire arena community by issuing a major content patch near the end of a season for the second time in a row, what should we do to hand them a bone?

GC: Update armory on the last week so they can't see their ranking.

support #rated on irc.gamesurge

#47 mirandasings

mirandasings
  • Mirandasings
  • Junkies
  • Worgenclass_name
  • US-Ysera
  • Stormstrike

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:03 PM

rbg's are more fotm then arena, in rbg whoever wins is whoever has the better composition of mages/feral druids/holy paladins/warriors/death knights.

being friends with ret paladins and rogues and hunters doesn't help my situation :(

oh and battlegrounds are severely imbalances towards one faction.

it's fun i suppose when ur facing scrubs but when you're facing people of equal skill and they have better classes/and they're horde its just frustrating
Posted Image

#48 swordscream

swordscream
  • Members
  • Worgenclass_name
  • US-Lightninghoof
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Shadow
  • RBG: 384

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:14 PM

I like RBGs alot more than arena - playing with 9-14 friends is just really fun for me, is there something mentally wrong with me? Do I need to see a psych evaluator?
USMC OIF 04-05

#49 faction

faction
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Shadow

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:42 PM

rbg's are more fotm then arena, in rbg whoever wins is whoever has the better composition of mages/feral druids/holy paladins/warriors/death knights.

being friends with ret paladins and rogues and hunters doesn't help my situation :(

it's fun i suppose when ur facing scrubs but when you're facing people of equal skill and they have better classes/and they're horde its just frustrating

every class (except ret paladins) is just fine in bgs as long as you don't stack them to a stupid degree. we usually bring a hunter, a moonkin and at least 1 rogue and do not stack any other class (no feral druid) and we havn't really had any losses that were like "welp, they sure stacked more overpowered classes than us". more "welp, we sure fucked up"
Posted Image

#50 bighandxyz

bighandxyz
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Fenris
  • Whirlwind

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:48 PM

You're wrong, the reason why WoW arena isn't so popular compared to the amount of people playing the game is because they can't keep track of everything thats happening or the tactics.

People find it much easier to understand a WSG/AB type of thing, where its about capping flags or bases.

no, wow arena isn't popular as a E-Sport because most fanbase knows that it is not a balanced game, thus MOST people don't fully acknowledged the skill-set you need to play arena.

Think beastcleave.

most people would rather watch something that requires more skill/teamwork

thats great, and it is true, but refer back to what I said before. People are generally not interested in watching large scale battle as E-sport. Too many events happening at too many different location, and spread of personal involvement and importance further pools away from people's interest.

Then there is the imbalance in RBG...

i take it you prefer watching table fooseball over the real thing too
its ok, by the numbers someone had to be unluckily born in mississippi

are you high

#51 Korialstrasz

Korialstrasz
  • Korial
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Darksorrow
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Fury

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:22 PM

no, wow arena isn't popular as a E-Sport because most fanbase knows that it is not a balanced game

You're totally wrong.

Warrior survivability is overpowered entirely due to self-healing, though. That can only be changed by nerfing Blood Craze and Second Wind.

#52 Azoth

Azoth
  • Junkies
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Hyjal
  • Whirlwind
  • Talents: Restoration

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:33 PM

no, wow arena isn't popular as a E-Sport because most fanbase knows that it is not a balanced game, thus MOST people don't fully acknowledged the skill-set you need to play arena.

Think beastcleave.

He's actually quite right about why this game will never be a popular esport - it doesn't have spectator appeal. It's incredibly difficult to know what is going on unless you have intimate knowledge of the game. Compare this to something like Starcraft 2, which gets lots of viewers even from people who do not play the game.
Azoth - Tauren Druid <Forgotten Aspects> - www.forgottenaspects.com
Videos: www.warcraftmovies.com/viewauthor.php?id=3159
Blog: http://www.gameriot....s/Respec-Resto/

#53 bighandxyz

bighandxyz
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Fenris
  • Whirlwind

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:44 AM

He's actually quite right about why this game will never be a popular esport - it doesn't have spectator appeal. It's incredibly difficult to know what is going on unless you have intimate knowledge of the game. Compare this to something like Starcraft 2, which gets lots of viewers even from people who do not play the game.

E-sport by definition are a very niche market. Very very few games are outside of this rule. Most E-sport titles are watched by hardcore and casual gamers solely, and you don't need the full understanding of the mechanics to enjoy it but the acknowledgement of the difficulty on executing these plays and balance (along with some other complementary factor) that captivates people.

For example, when you watch MLG. What do you think people cheers for the most? RMP or that melee or magic cleaver X team? People specifically tune in to watch koreans RMP games and ignore the cleaver teams since they are the most enjoyable to watch, even though they are playing the same game with same objectives. Why do you think that is? Because it is widely acknowledged as the hardest comp to succeed that also requires the most communication. This is what interest people and what makes people want to tune in for E-Sport games. It is the difficulty of the game and how far you can go with it.

With games as imbalance as WoW, there's not much you can go either way when winners are decided at gate opening. You cannot have a good E-sport on a game that people sees (and truthfully) imbalanced.

#54 Filovirus

Filovirus
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: ./././././.
  • RBG: 2795

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:55 AM

when did faction become such a pleasant poster

#55 Sammm

Sammm
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Kor'gall
  • Cruelty / Crueldad
  • Talents: Subtlety

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:49 AM

Because a decent alliance team doesnt have near 100% win chance on Isle of Gil? And the water in that other shit capture the flag map equals out the disengage/shute trick.

#56 mirandasings

mirandasings
  • Mirandasings
  • Junkies
  • Worgenclass_name
  • US-Ysera
  • Stormstrike

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:24 PM

oh i'm sorry did i say all bg's are imbalanced towards horde? oh wait no i didn't.

and how does the water eqaual out ? rofl
the parachute off the alliance base will get you half way across the map, while IF you have a class that can water walk, it just bring you to the front of the horde base. you must be retarded if you think twin peaks is anything but horde favored.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<