• Selenagomez
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • EU-Kor'gall
  • Cruelty / Crueldad
  • Talents: Shadow
  • LocationPreston

Posted 23 November 2010 - 08:49 PM

From reading some of the threads/posts here i think this may come in handy to a few of you guyz.

Let's start with a FAQ.

Q: Is building a computer cheaper than buying a prebuilt PC?
A: Almost always, yes. When you buy a prebuilt computer, you have to pay additional fees for assembly and testing, and with some the more common companies like Dell or HP, you could end up paying over 15% of the total price just to have your computer put together for you.

Q: Is it hard to build a computer?
A: No. Once you sit down and have a look at the parts that go into a computer, it becomes much easier to understand how to build one by yourself.

Q: The company I bought my last computer from had a page where I could pick out parts. Does this make me a computer builder?
A: No. This is just cutomizing a prebuilt machine. Building a computer means picking out the parts and putting it together yourself, or having a friend do it for you if you're not too confident.

Now that you know what building a computer is and why people do it, let's make a list of the most important parts you'll need to build a your own computer and what they do:

Central Processing Unit (CPU)
The Processor is among the most vital parts of your computer. It handles execution of all your computers software, whether that be your operating system, video-games, internet browsers, anything. Without a processor, your computer will not run.
Motherboard
The motherboard is what allows all of your computer parts to be connected together, if you look inside of a computer, it's the big board mounted onto the side of your case. Many people say that the motherboard should be the first thing you look for when building a computer.
Random Access Memory (RAM)
RAM comes in modules and is important for your computer to run. It stores data for active programs so that the CPU doesn't have to wait for a hard drive to access it. It's important to choose the right type of memory, because your CPU or motherboard may not support it.
Power Supply Unit(PSU)
The Power Supply Unit is - in my opinion - the most important part of your computer. Too much power, and you've wasted more money than you need.Too little power, and you could cause damage to your parts. It's important to do the math to find out how much power you need, then go about 10% to 25% over, depending on how you plan to run your computer. Always remember the golden rule when buying a power supply:
Never cheap out. Try to go for an 80Plus certified or better PSU.
Hard Drive(HDD or SSD)
The Hard Drive is what stores your computers data permanently. It's where you'll install your operating system, video-games or other software. Major things to look for when buying your hard drive is the storage capacity, warranty, and In the case of Hard Disk Drives, it's RPM rate.
Graphic Processing Unit(Graphics card or GPU)
In this day and age, running a computer without a discrete graphics card can be very restrictive. Thankfully GPU manufacturers Nvidia and AMD(formerly ATI) have graphic processors for all budgets.
Optical Drive (CD or DVD drive or ODD)
The Optical Disc Drive is what you use to play DVD movies or audio CDs on your computer. Most computers have at least one installed. They usually have a price between $15-$25 USD, with the more recent Blu Ray Drives selling for over $100 USD.
Case
your computer case holds all of your parts securely in place and helps to direct airflow over important parts. A good case will usually cost anywhere from $50 to 180 USD and should include a lot of features for easy installation and proper cooling of your parts.
You'll also need peripherals like a monitor, mouse and keyboard.

Now for a list of add-on parts that you may or may not want. These parts are secondary to the ones above and are not required to run your computer:

Aftermarket CPU cooler
An aftermarket CPU cooler can lower the temperature of your CPU and allow you to overclock it much better. Higher-end coolers can cost upwards of $70 and some may not even fit inside smaller cases.
Speakers
Having a sound system connected to your computer is nice, but you'll often have to pay a lot of money for a decent set. A $25-$50 set of headphones will work well enough.
Sound Card
Almost every motherboard I know of has on-board audio, and unless you're composing music, a sound card won't usually have a big effect on the quality of sound.
Secondary/Tertiary monitor
A secondary monitor can increase your desktop space and greatly improve your productivity on the computer.Many of the PCHS regulars use multi-display systems.
Gamepads or Joysticks
Game controllers can make playing some games easier or more realistic. Usually if you have an Xbox 360 controller, you can just connect via USB and use that to play games.
Wireless Network Card
A wireless network card will allow you to connect to a computer network wirelessly. It can be important for people who have multiple computers in their household and don't want to have ethernet cables run everywhere.
TV Tuners
A TV tuner can allow you to watch and record TV shows as if you were using a regular TV. Some even allow you to record footage from a game console.

Now that you know about all of the major parts, let's go through the process of building your computer once you've got all your parts.
You may also want to consider buying an Electro-static wristband so that you don't damage the parts during installation.

Quoted/Spoiler due to the length of the next post.
Spoiler

Will update rest later big thanks to all that helped with some info <3

+rep is appreciated!

Posted Image

#2 Seriana

Seriana
  • Seriana
  • Banned
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Moon Guard
  • Emberstorm
  • Talents: Fire

Posted 23 November 2010 - 10:50 PM

Dhbx said:

wat is sli/crossfire =/ common question I get asked atleast once a week.

SLI/Crossfire-Xfire is taking two same video cards and forcing them to work as one unit.

This means you can get some more performance out of the two cards working together than you'd get from just one.

This isn't a very commonly used thing unless you absolutely want the best of the best due to costs, heating, and space issues.

SLI is the term used for Nvidia cards and Crossfire/Xfire for ATI cards.

Rulerofhell said:

Im going to buy Seriana a dildo

#3 Dhbx

Dhbx
  • Members
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Bleeding Hollow
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Arms

Posted 23 November 2010 - 10:56 PM

I know this...

"I want to add to this, so if I see some good questions, I'll add them to the FAQ."

Figured id state something ...facepalm

#4 Seriana

Seriana
  • Seriana
  • Banned
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Moon Guard
  • Emberstorm

Posted 23 November 2010 - 11:06 PM

Oh.

Well.

He can just copy and paste what I said, then.

Rulerofhell said:

#5 Pharaun

Pharaun
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 23 November 2010 - 11:57 PM

Useful, about time someone made one of these :)  ++rep

Also needs stickying.
"Who, after all, is today speaking of the destruction of the Armenians?"

-Adolf Hitler, 1939

#6 ephex

ephex
  • Iunchlady
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Daggerspine
  • Cyclone
  • Talents: Affliction

Posted 24 November 2010 - 12:12 AM

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Pharaun again."

How can I ask you to lunch again?!
TEAM OF GLADIATORS
"Not only am I now a better poster, but a better person."
-Amigo卍

#7 Pharaun

Pharaun
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 24 November 2010 - 12:13 AM

Haa I dunno, but you should be repping the OP not me :p

Wait was I hallucinating and this was already a sticky before I posted?  I need to take a nap :(

-Adolf Hitler, 1939

#8 Unityo

Unityo
  • Members
  • Worgenclass_name
  • US-Frostmourne
  • Bloodlust

Posted 24 November 2010 - 12:43 AM

Doing this soon, good info, thanks!

#9 fatG

fatG
  • Members
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Fenris
  • Whirlwind
  • Talents: Restoration

Posted 25 November 2010 - 06:22 PM

niec guide!

#10 Unityo

Unityo
  • Members
  • Worgenclass_name
  • US-Frostmourne
  • Bloodlust

Posted 28 November 2010 - 01:27 PM

Really is a good thread. Going over this and using it to relay information to a friend who will be building a CPU for me. Can't wait :)

#11 Pharaun

Pharaun
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 28 November 2010 - 03:08 PM

NOT BUILDING A CPU !@#()*&^ (unless you happen to have a billion dollars lying around)

-Adolf Hitler, 1939

#12 Seriana

Seriana
  • Seriana
  • Banned
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Moon Guard
  • Emberstorm

Posted 28 November 2010 - 03:42 PM

Pharaun said:

NOT BUILDING A CPU !@#()*&^ (unless you happen to have a billion dollars lying around)

Ah, it can't be that hard, just bits and pieces of metal.

Rulerofhell said:

#13 Pharaun

Pharaun
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 28 November 2010 - 04:10 PM

Heh.  On that topic though, the number of extremely fucking dangerous materials that go into semiconductor fabrication are insane:

Hydrogen Chloride (for etching & purification)

Posted Image

Aluminum Phosphide

Posted Image

Phosphorous Chloride

Posted Image

Phosphine:

nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, breathing difficulty, muscle pain, stupor, and pulmonary edema (i.e. death).  Also extremely flammable.

Posted Image

Diborane:

Posted Image

Arsine: (Essentially a chemical weapon that also explodes)

Posted Image

etc etc etc

Shit will fuck you up :\

-Adolf Hitler, 1939

#14 Seriana

Seriana
  • Seriana
  • Banned
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Moon Guard
  • Emberstorm

Posted 28 November 2010 - 04:12 PM

I have no idea what these fancy words and pretty diamonds mean but I guess its not as easy as I thought it was, then

Rulerofhell said:

#15 Pharaun

Pharaun
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 28 November 2010 - 04:17 PM

The words are just chemicals.  The diamond is the US symbol (NFPA 704) for assessing the danger of a given chemical / room with chemicals... i.e. the "fire diamond"

Left is the "health hazard", where 0 is harmless, and 4 means very short exposure kills you.

Top is the flammability... 0 is not flammable (i.e. water), 4 fucking explodes in a ball of fiery death.

Right is reactivity, (i.e. does it decide to randomly explode like nitroglycerin)

Bottom is just other notes.

So something that's 4 left & 4 top means it's like a poisonous gas that will kill you ASAP, while exploding in a giant ball of fiery doom if you happen to be smoking a cig.

-Adolf Hitler, 1939

#16 Rothira

Rothira
  • Members

Posted 28 November 2010 - 09:17 PM

So I don't want to play around with Diborane. Good to know!

Posted Image

#17 Disiple34

Disiple34
  • Members
  • Goblinclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Subtlety 0/1/1/0/2/.

Posted 24 April 2011 - 10:54 AM

18th.

Thanks for the Q&A

#18 Matisse

Matisse
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Khaz Modan
  • Vengeance

Posted 16 September 2011 - 12:54 AM

Do these instructions apply to building a laptop? Is it even possible to self-build a laptop?

Posted Image

View PostBreadstick, on 07 September 2012 - 03:32 AM, said:

some pickles are really good

#19 Csna

Csna
  • Selenagomez
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • EU-Kor'gall
  • Cruelty / Crueldad
  • LocationPreston

Posted 16 September 2011 - 07:51 PM

i guess you could would be a pain finding the right items those as you can't have big as objects and shit

Posted Image

#20 Lysanne

Lysanne
  • Junkies
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • EU-Dragonmaw
  • Cataclysme / Cataclysm
  • Talents: Retribution
  • LocationSweden

Posted 16 September 2011 - 07:59 PM

View PostMatisse, on 16 September 2011 - 12:54 AM, said:

Do these instructions apply to building a laptop? Is it even possible to self-build a laptop?
No, for laptops you do need to purchase the machine from a company. Theres simply too much 'integration' going on with laptops; particularly if size and portability is a concern. Laptop assembly itself is many times harder than Desktop assembly.
‪→ → →
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<