#21 Bigbadburks

Bigbadburks
  • Members
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • US-Undermine
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Elemental

Posted 26 September 2010 - 03:30 PM

Anyone have a general idea of what Uncommon type gem cuts sell the best for all colors?
Posted Image

#22 Bigbadburks

Bigbadburks
  • Members
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • US-Undermine
  • Nightfall

Posted 26 September 2010 - 03:31 PM

Meta gems. Relentless Earthsiege Diamond, Insightful Earthsiege Diamond, Chaotic Skyflare Diamond, Ember Skyflare Diamond sell the fastest and highest.

Will definitely look into that. Thanks.

Asking just in case but would it be against TOS if I used a program to do an automatic keystroke to press a prospecting macro?
Posted Image

#23 Bigbadburks

Bigbadburks
  • Members
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • US-Undermine
  • Nightfall

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:44 PM

Do you think taking over the primordial trade on my server would be a good idea? By buying out all of the saronites and marking them up a bit for resale?
Posted Image

#24 Ilikegold

Ilikegold
  • Members
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • US-Burning Blade
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Arms

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:56 PM

Patches are the best time to make money. 4.0 and cataclysm's first few weeks will give dozens of opportunities to multiply your gold supply over and over.

Mind expanding on this? I have around 40k and i've been thinking about what to do to make gold with the patch and cata release but i can't think of anything

#25 Newbie2620

Newbie2620
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Akama
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Combat

Posted 26 September 2010 - 05:18 PM

And Riposte, would you be able to give me a few small walkthroughs on some of the addons you listed?

Auctionator
Spoiler

Cancelator
Spoiler

Quick Auctions 3
Spoiler

Postal
Spoiler

#26 Fierss

Fierss
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Firetree
  • Reckoning
  • Talents: Protection

Posted 26 September 2010 - 07:56 PM

So, how long do you think it'd take to make around 500k gold if I were to dedicatedly do methods you described for longer periods of times, on a daily basis (4-5 hours a day maybe?)

Once you've set up your system, you really can't put in more time for proportionally more return. You can camp the AH, to make sure you're always the lowest, but more time gives diminishing returns.

Feirss, how do you go about predicting if something will be valuable? What signs do you look for?

Mind expanding on this? I have around 40k and i've been thinking about what to do to make gold with the patch and cata release but i can't think of anything

Patch notes, past knowledge - The first week of ICC, there was a bug where people kept getting 2 frost badges every time they did a random heroic, instead of just 2 for a day. I was buying every primordial saronite, and I was the only one in the market at first, meaning I got to set the price. I ended up buying about 60 of them before I stopped, let the price stabilize, resold 35 of them, and ended up with a free shadow's edge and another 10k or so, very early on.

In an expansion, if you remember in wotlk, prices of the basic items were super fucking high. Saronite bars were like 400g at first. To combat that, if I wasn't racing for first 85, I would set up a macro to have people sell me their leather, herbs, and ore, and to CoD me it. Out in the field, they need bag space, and will often allow themselves to be greatly lowballed, and you can resell it later, or make it into things that the lazier people won't want to bother with. Be careful though, since as people level professions, they will make dozens of the new equivalent of a belt buckle or w/e, which will make the price of that lower than the goods that it took to make it. If the price is low enough, just buy 'em up, and resell later.

What macro would that be?

The one I used to spam (I don't bother anymore, since my supplies are large enough that I don't need to) was:
"Buying eternal earth/shadow 1g per, air 3g, fire 10g, life 13g, Abyss crystals 22g, saronite ore 12g a stack, frozen orbs 13g, iceweb spider silk 7g each, frostweave cloth 7g/stack. PST or CoD any time"

I would update the prices constantly. The eternals, I would usually lowball, the ore is priced so that I can buy up unlimited quantities and still vendor it at a profit as bars (yes, people sell it for less than the bars vendor for, constantly), the frostweave cloth is actually pretty fairly priced but I just couldn't get enough to supply my bags at the rate they sold, etc.

Also, become familiar with the names of your competition. If you want to get into a market, sort the AH by name, find what they post, figure out what they sell that you don't to find lost opportunities, and add them to your friends lists, so that when they log on, you know you'll have to repost your auctions soon, and when they log out, that you're free to post for a while.

First time user and doesnt seem to be working correctly for me says that infinite dust x20 @ 21g buyout per stack is 79g profit when there is loads at 20-25g. So i guess i have did something wrong.

It is probably telling you to break it into singles. Also, since you just set it up, its prices are going to be wonky. Let it scan for a few days minimum before you trust any of its prices, and longer before you listen to it about flipping items.

And I know it's "Better than nothing." But only one of my toons can get into ICC every week. SO that's only 350g a week with Primordial prices on my server. Besides, I still need Frost Badge upgrades on the other toons >.<.

So I don't think Primordials is a very optimal method ATM.

Primordials are anywhere from 300 to 420g on my server right now (I doubt they sell for over 400 even when they're posted for that). I bought 29 for 300g a few weeks ago, and sold them all for around 370 over the next few weeks. If you were to buy 1 or 2, your risk isn't that great, as you can unload them before they drop too much, and really, even if you only have 5-10k, losing 100g isn't that huge a deal (1-2% of your gold). You probably pay that for the occasional gem cut or leg kit, without thinking about it.

I recently bought a Blood Queen's choker for 2700g, when there was a panic about the expansion coming (thank you, MMO champion's Nov2 prediction). I resold it for 6k within an hour, which makes me wish I had posted it for the 9-10k I know it was worth (but I was a bit worried myself, as the prices of EVERYTHING was plummeting). This is a really good example of using news to your advantage. I bought eternals at 10% above vendor price, knowing they'd be worth more in Cata, I can make them into stuff now for a profit, or the price would go back up once the stockpiles started to fall.

If you see someone panicked and posting all their crap (posting in trade about stacks of random stuff, like some eternals, ench mats, gems, and frozen orbs, at the same time), it's a good chance to make a lower offer and pick up stuff in bulk. A good rule of thumb is that people to spam trade will sell their stuff for less.

Own the concept of price anchoring. You like having people make an offer when you sell, or telling you what they want when you buy, because you don't want to lowball yourself, or overpay for their stuff. But if you have a good idea about what things are worth, you can use anchoring to your advantage - Once people hear a number, they use that to approximate what the item is worth, regardless of whether it is reasonable or not. They will often come back at you with something cheaper (though you will get a fair amount of "lol nty" replies), that still is at a price you're happy to get (or lower than what you would be willing to pay).

Anyone have a general idea of what Uncommon type gem cuts sell the best for all colors?

Same as the epic. Str/Arp/SP reds, int yellows, haste/SP hybrids, etc. You can often take a 1g green gem and sell it for 10g after it's cut.

Do you think taking over the primordial trade on my server would be a good idea? By buying out all of the saronites and marking them up a bit for resale?

No. Too many people have badges and primordials banked for you to literally take over that market, especially while trying to build up your empire. You can still flip them, buying low and selling normal/high.

Oh, 2 last things:
1) never underestimate people's stupidity. I can mark up certain enchanting plans for 2000-3000% profit.
2) learn the best times to buy/post/post extra/not post. Buy early on saturdays and as soon as servers come up tuesday, post a bit later on tuesday and any big raid nights, post extra around 10pm as raids start ending and they all want gems/enchants/belt buckles, etc. If your profit margin on something that normally sells for a 50% profit is down to 5%, consider not posting 4 of your thing, since you'll lock the price in there. If there's only a few, consider buying and then reposting higher. If there's a lot, either post 1 at a time (while waiting for their auctions to expire), don't post, or price your shit at a 0% profit, knowing that you stockpile mats better than them, so you can sell cheaper than they can. This will hopefully force some people out of the market, allowing you to reset the price, or people will undercut you, which means you can buy their shit up at a lower cost than it costs you to make it. But be careful, when you repost, don't automatically set it as high as you can, or you'll encourage people to rejoin the market. Raise it slower than that.

#27 Fierss

Fierss
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Firetree
  • Reckoning

Posted 26 September 2010 - 08:15 PM

Right now, primordial saronite is 300/315g for the cheapest on the AH. But 2nd cheapest is 350/378. So I'll just post mine for 349/377.50, with the assumption the cheaper one will sell, but so will mine, without undercutting.

#28 Bigbadburks

Bigbadburks
  • Members
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • US-Undermine
  • Nightfall

Posted 26 September 2010 - 10:39 PM

How long do you think it'd take to make 500k?

I know it's an unrealistic goal to start with but I'm determined to work towards it.

Do green/purple cuts sell well at all?
Posted Image

#29 Savaary

Savaary
  • Junkies

Posted 26 September 2010 - 10:45 PM

If your starting without any mats and a low amount of gold just get the minumum to enter a gold dkp and don't spend anything just reap the benefits. Pretty sure most GOLD dkps clear every heroic besides Sind,Putricide, and Lich King. I make about 12k gold every week doing that so 24k on both toons.

Fairly simple if you are lazy.

#30 Bigbadburks

Bigbadburks
  • Members
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • US-Undermine
  • Nightfall

Posted 26 September 2010 - 11:19 PM

I'm farming trash in Pit of Saron while I wait for auctions to buy out. Good plan Y/N?
Posted Image

#31 Bigbadburks

Bigbadburks
  • Members
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • US-Undermine
  • Nightfall

Posted 26 September 2010 - 11:20 PM

If your starting without any mats and a low amount of gold just get the minumum to enter a gold dkp and don't spend anything just reap the benefits. Pretty sure most GOLD dkps clear every heroic besides Sind,Putricide, and Lich King. I make about 12k gold every week doing that so 24k on both toons.

Fairly simple if you are lazy.

My server is too low pop to run GDKP runs. Most pugs here can't even clear past Saurfang normal, let alone 9/12 Heroic.
Posted Image

#32 Fortitude

Fortitude
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Arms

Posted 26 September 2010 - 11:37 PM

charge people 5k for 1800 carries

#33 Fierss

Fierss
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Firetree
  • Reckoning

Posted 27 September 2010 - 01:39 AM

How long do you think it'd take to make 500k?

I know it's an unrealistic goal to start with but I'm determined to work towards it.

Do green/purple cuts sell well at all?

It varies greatly from server to server. Just analyze the market and act accordingly.

Also, find a way to get rid of your waste products. One example: the engineering scope burns some poor selling purple blue-quality gems, so even at cost, it helps avoid some of the loss with prospecting.

#34 Bigbadburks

Bigbadburks
  • Members
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • US-Undermine
  • Nightfall

Posted 27 September 2010 - 01:39 AM

charge people 5k for 1800 carries

There are also not players good enough to even be CARRIED to 1800. It's upsetting that players are so bad on my server that they lack even basic coordination to hit 1800.
Posted Image

#35 Magotaan

Magotaan
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Lightninghoof
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Affliction

Posted 27 September 2010 - 01:48 AM

dumb question how exactly does the GDKP runs work?

#36 Bigbadburks

Bigbadburks
  • Members
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • US-Undermine
  • Nightfall

Posted 27 September 2010 - 01:51 AM

dumb question how exactly does the GDKP runs work?

GDKP stands for "Gold DKP" runs where basically any loots that dropped, and wanted, is bid for. All the gold is pooled together through out the night and then at the end of the run the RL divides the amount of gold made throughout the course of the night between all 25 raid members.

Most items like DFO or DBW, or particular weapons are usually have bids of insane amounts, which easily can push the entire amount of gold per person to 5, even 10k+ by the end of the night.
Posted Image

#37 Bigbadburks

Bigbadburks
  • Members
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • US-Undermine
  • Nightfall

Posted 27 September 2010 - 01:58 AM

So how do you deal with people doing mass undercuts? Like I have about 40 belt buckles, I only have 10 posted. Then someone posts 10 for 10 gold less than mine, then that causes more people to post several more belt buckles undercutting him. How do you deal with that? Do you just buy them out and repost them?
Posted Image

#38 Fierss

Fierss
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Firetree
  • Reckoning

Posted 27 September 2010 - 02:05 AM

I wouldn't post more than 4 belt buckles at a time (and only for 12 hours), because their listing fee is significant in relation to their post price, it's easy to make with low costs, and it's made automatically by lvling BSing. It's good, easy money, but it's not a cash cow. And I'll post more, without canceling my old ones.

I'd probably post 1 or 2 at a time if I'm getting undercut, see if he undercuts those, and then re-evaluate. And I'd keep in mind that belt buckles cost me about 8g to make, so even if they CAN sell at 60, even 20g is still a great deal. Don't list a ton when the price is low, or you lock it into that price. I'd also not reset the price to 60 if the price does reset, since you'll just encourage 15 people to start posting theirs.

#39 Bigbadburks

Bigbadburks
  • Members
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • US-Undermine
  • Nightfall

Posted 27 September 2010 - 02:27 AM

So basically when relisting, relist few and relist them while slowly working towards the highest price possible? So let's say I post a batch of four, I'd post them at lets say 45g. Then after those buy out post them at 46g and so and and so on?
Posted Image

#40 Fierss

Fierss
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Firetree
  • Reckoning

Posted 27 September 2010 - 02:43 AM

Double the standard price is about as high as you should go (and often lower) soon after an undercut war. Once you've sold a few at say 35, then maybe jump to 40, then 45, while keeping an eye on the undercutters (if they're constant, you should know their names). If you jump straight up to 50+, everyone will just start selling them again, and the price will drop down to 25 from undercuts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<