#1 Bigbadburks

Bigbadburks
  • Members
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • US-Undermine
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Elemental

Posted 26 September 2010 - 08:47 AM

Anyone have any tips on how to make mass amounts of gold?

Any particular tricks you may have that'd give insight on how to play the auction house?

I have a few good methods of making mass cash but I'd like to discover if there are any better ways than ones I'm using.
Posted Image

#2 Supyawh

Supyawh
  • Junkies
  • Taurenclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Balance

Posted 26 September 2010 - 08:57 AM

Anyone have any tips on how to make mass amounts of gold?

Any particular tricks you may have that'd give insight on how to play the auction house?

seconded
>-.

#3 Buglamp

Buglamp

Posted 26 September 2010 - 09:16 AM

Do PvE
:/

Best profession for making gold casually as a PvPer is JC by far though - get honor, buy gems, cut gems, list on AH, profit. I made a ton off inscription early WotLK but it's not that great anymore.

Get auctionator or a similar mod definitely regardless!

You can make a lot of gold playing the AH but you have to watch it and learn when/if certain prices will rise and fall, and judge when you can sell high/buy low - takes more time than it's worth TBH. Having alts with extra professions can help you kind of learn how to do this with profession related mats.

#4 Bigbadburks

Bigbadburks
  • Members
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • US-Undermine
  • Nightfall

Posted 26 September 2010 - 09:23 AM

Do PvE
:/

Best profession for making gold casually as a PvPer is JC by far though - get honor, buy gems, cut gems, list on AH, profit. I made a ton off inscription early WotLK but it's not that great anymore.

Get auctionator or a similar mod definitely regardless!

You can make a lot of gold playing the AH but you have to watch it and learn when/if certain prices will rise and fall, and judge when you can sell high/buy low - takes more time than it's worth TBH. Having alts with extra professions can help you kind of learn how to do this with profession related mats.

I don't mean like 10-20k gold. I mean like 200, 300, 400k gold.
Posted Image

#5 Fierss

Fierss
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Firetree
  • Reckoning
  • Talents: Protection

Posted 26 September 2010 - 09:46 AM

I'm pretty close to 500k. Roughly 490k liquid atm, with another ~100k in mats. Just stocked my 4th guild bank earlier today after I had 400 stacks of stuff in the mail and nowhere to hold it (19 tabs in total atm). I don't deal with glyphs or gems (except for the occasional meta and getting someone to cut misc epic gems I buy super low), and if I had been, I'm sure it'd be far, far higher without much extra time.

takes more time than it's worth TBH.

30 minutes or so to figure out what quantities of crap you want to and can afford to buy. About an hour to set up any mods from scratch. Scan for more mats about twice a day unless you contact the sellers directly, and cancel/repost when you're not doing anything. Once you've set up your system, it takes about 10 minutes a day to maintain (unless you deal with glyphs, which just take a lot of time but mods and macros can do that while you're tabbed out or afk).

Find the markets with large markup, buy the mats in bulk, undercut ruthlessly, and sell at-cost on the small markup items to keep smaller players from competing. Gems are most likely too late/too slow to get into if you aren't already there, but there are plenty of others.

Predict what will be valuable. If the market crashed today, most of my stock would easily be carried into cataclysm, and sold significantly higher than I can now. People will always have to level professions.

Buy low, sell normal.

Flip epics. Do your research, figure out what prices it sells, and make several thousand gold for hitting 2 buttons (buyout, post auction). I paid 5000 for this back when ulduar was current content: Posted Image

Hit a macro that says what you're paying for goods every so often when you're idling in town/between queues.

There are hundreds of ways to make tons of money, and almost none of them are complicated.

Stockpile like your life depends on it.

Posted Image

Patches are the best time to make money. 4.0 and cataclysm's first few weeks will give dozens of opportunities to multiply your gold supply over and over.

#6 Newbie2620

Newbie2620
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Akama
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Combat

Posted 26 September 2010 - 10:21 AM

I'm sitting at 800k+ gold and another 200-300k in raw mats. What I do is buy raw mats when they are cheap (bulk amounts for guild bank) and craft things using professions. (I also do some reselling, not as much as selling crafted items though) I have every crafting profession except Inscription/Tailoring (I'll get those when I level up another alt). I don't use Mobile Auction House btw.

Tips:
Post for only 12 hrs to minimize the lost if you get undercutted since you will lose your deposit fee for canceling auctions and reposting. Uncut competitors often using Auctionator or Quick Auctions 3. (if you undercut them long enough, they will stop posting those certain items and you will have even less competition) :)

Blacksmithing - Belt Buckles, Weapon chains, Titanium Plating, Enchanting Rods
Leatherworking - Frosthide/Icescale/Earthen Leg Armors, 18 Stam kits, Mining/LW bags (I don't sell inscription bags because they go cheaper than the cost of the raw mats on my realm)
Jewelcrafting - Meta gems (have a transmute spec Alch), epic and blue quality gems. Making Sun Rock Ring and Earthshadow Ring with extra Sun/Shadow Crystal and Eternal Earth, then have your enchanter (or tip someone to disenchant a ton of these for you) and sell enchanting mats.
Engineering - Mithril Casting (Un'Goro quest), Overcharged Cap (Alliance Borean Tundra quest), epic Bullets/Arrows.
Tailoring (tipping friend to make them for me until I get my own Tailor) - SP/Stam and SP/Sprit Spellthreads

Other things to consider:
Enchanting: Sell enchanting scrolls like WoLK enchants, Mongoose, and those pre-BC enchants people use for BoA items.
Alchemy - Flasks/Potions (I kind of gave up on this because it is low profit on my realm)
Inscription - Selling glyphs and vellums

Addons to get:
Auctionator - Probably #1 addon I recommend for AH. Amazing for mass post/undercutting people at the same time (real time unlike Auctioneer prices with each scan), buying mass auctions (like cheap raw mats!), and "Scan for Undercut" feature making sure your auctions haven't been undercutted and are still the cheapest in AH.
Auctioneer - Good for keeping track of material prices, as well as, many other multi-purpose features to make your life easier.
Cancelator - When starting a new day, use this addon to cancel all the un-expired auctions to repost.
Quick Auctions 3 - Helps you with restocking AH by scanning for prices/items for a certain profession, shows how much of your product stock is left in AH, and has a nifty feature to allow you to queue up a lot of craftables (like gems to be made with each click on the QA3 tab on the right side of your profession window (instead of searching through your profession book). As well as auto-post/restock stuff you are selling. (This requires setting addon up)
Postal: Mailbox addon, opens and autoloots your mail. (I have mines set to just loot AH related mail since I mail crafted goods from my alts and don't want those to be looted as well)

Reselling:
Look for items that are purchased in bulk everyday... Here are a few things I usually look for. I'm sure there are many other things you can invest in like P. Saronites, BoE epics, Shadowmourne quest rewards, and etc.
-Ore/Bars
-Cloth
-Eternal
-Leather
-Herbs
-Enchanting Mats

Things I do outside of AH:
Doomwalker(solo on Paladin)/Kazzak(Paladin with a dps friend) - 500g loot table and 2 level 70 epic BOE. Non-weaps sell for 100-250g, weaps sell for 350-1k here.
Molten Core (on Paladin) - solo clear. Healing Power (29SP) and Spell Power (30SP) formulas sell for 1.5-2.5k here. Ingots 500-1500g.
ZG - Farming the Raptors while I do my mount run for the Raptor pet (goes for 1-2.5k on my realm)

Edited: Forgot about one of the most important addons (Postal)

#7 Bigbadburks

Bigbadburks
  • Members
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • US-Undermine
  • Nightfall

Posted 26 September 2010 - 12:27 PM

I'm pretty close to 500k. Roughly 490k liquid atm, with another ~100k in mats. Just stocked my 4th guild bank earlier today after I had 400 stacks of stuff in the mail and nowhere to hold it (19 tabs in total atm). I don't deal with glyphs or gems (except for the occasional meta and getting someone to cut misc epic gems I buy super low), and if I had been, I'm sure it'd be far, far higher without much extra time.

30 minutes or so to figure out what quantities of crap you want to and can afford to buy. About an hour to set up any mods from scratch. Scan for more mats about twice a day unless you contact the sellers directly, and cancel/repost when you're not doing anything. Once you've set up your system, it takes about 10 minutes a day to maintain (unless you deal with glyphs, which just take a lot of time but mods and macros can do that while you're tabbed out or afk).

Find the markets with large markup, buy the mats in bulk, undercut ruthlessly, and sell at-cost on the small markup items to keep smaller players from competing. Gems are most likely too late/too slow to get into if you aren't already there, but there are plenty of others.

Predict what will be valuable. If the market crashed today, most of my stock would easily be carried into cataclysm, and sold significantly higher than I can now. People will always have to level professions.

Buy low, sell normal.

Flip epics. Do your research, figure out what prices it sells, and make several thousand gold for hitting 2 buttons (buyout, post auction). I paid 5000 for this back when ulduar was current content: Posted Image

Hit a macro that says what you're paying for goods every so often when you're idling in town/between queues.

There are hundreds of ways to make tons of money, and almost none of them are complicated.

Stockpile like your life depends on it.

Posted Image

Patches are the best time to make money. 4.0 and cataclysm's first few weeks will give dozens of opportunities to multiply your gold supply over and over.

So, how long do you think it'd take to make around 500k gold if I were to dedicatedly do methods you described for longer periods of times, on a daily basis (4-5 hours a day maybe?)
Posted Image

#8 Bigbadburks

Bigbadburks
  • Members
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • US-Undermine
  • Nightfall

Posted 26 September 2010 - 12:37 PM

Thanks for all the constructive replies guys! Keep them coming because I'm looking to mass gold extremely quickly for multiple reasons.

Even if I have to work solidly hard for a month that's fine with me so keep posting!
Posted Image

#9 Bigbadburks

Bigbadburks
  • Members
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • US-Undermine
  • Nightfall

Posted 26 September 2010 - 12:58 PM

Feirss, how do you go about predicting if something will be valuable? What signs do you look for?
Posted Image

#10 Bigbadburks

Bigbadburks
  • Members
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • US-Undermine
  • Nightfall

Posted 26 September 2010 - 01:30 PM

What macro would that be?

And Riposte, would you be able to give me a few small walkthroughs on some of the addons you listed?
Posted Image

#11 Seriana

Seriana
  • Seriana
  • Banned
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Moon Guard
  • Emberstorm
  • Talents: Fire

Posted 26 September 2010 - 01:58 PM

Feirss, how do you go about predicting if something will be valuable? What signs do you look for?

Read Trade chat. Ignore the retards.

Items like Battered Hilt are way too much of a gamble if you are sitting on anything less than 100k gold.

Abuse the hell out of your professions, they are so vastly underrated. I have a transmute alchemist and JC, I basically control the meta gem markets on both Mannoroth and Moon Guard, about 20k gold a week rolling in.

Im going to buy Seriana a dildo

#12 Amiza

Amiza
  • Junkies
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • EU-Darksorrow
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Protection 1/0/0/1/0/2/2
  • 2v2: 1519
  • 3v3: 1135
  • LocationEngland

Posted 26 September 2010 - 02:25 PM

anyone got any tips on setting up auctioneer?

First time user and doesnt seem to be working correctly for me says that infinite dust x20 @ 21g buyout per stack is 79g profit when there is loads at 20-25g. So i guess i have did something wrong.

#13 Bigbadburks

Bigbadburks
  • Members
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • US-Undermine
  • Nightfall

Posted 26 September 2010 - 02:43 PM

Read Trade chat. Ignore the retards.

Items like Battered Hilt are way too much of a gamble if you are sitting on anything less than 100k gold.

Abuse the hell out of your professions, they are so vastly underrated. I have a transmute alchemist and JC, I basically control the meta gem markets on both Mannoroth and Moon Guard, about 20k gold a week rolling in.

I'm using professions right now. Prospecting saronite for gems and making cheap green rings and de'ing them and reposting the mats.
Posted Image

#14 Seriana

Seriana
  • Seriana
  • Banned
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Moon Guard
  • Emberstorm

Posted 26 September 2010 - 02:44 PM

I'm guessing Auctioneer does it en masse over thousands of cycles of buying/reselling in a period of time?

I use Auctionator and just do the math manually watching what goes up and down.

If I even resub for Cata I'm going back flask spec and I'm definitely hitting the gold cap in a month

I'm using professions right now. Prospecting saronite for gems and making cheap green rings and de'ing them and reposting the mats.

Oh, god, no. That takes fucking FOREVER for a few silvers worth of profit after auction cuts and time lost.

Honestly right now the best and easiest way to get farm gold is do ICC 10/25 and weeklies and heroics every chance you get and sell Primordial Saronites before they become completely obsolete.

If you aren't already well versed on economy manipulating, that is.

#15 Bigbadburks

Bigbadburks
  • Members
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • US-Undermine
  • Nightfall

Posted 26 September 2010 - 02:53 PM

If I even resub for Cata I'm going back flask spec and I'm definitely hitting the gold cap in a month

Gold cap will be "gone" in Cata. They are recoding everything with 64bit so the gold cap will be like in the hundreds of billions.
Posted Image

#16 Bigbadburks

Bigbadburks
  • Members
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • US-Undermine
  • Nightfall

Posted 26 September 2010 - 02:54 PM

I'm guessing Auctioneer does it en masse over thousands of cycles of buying/reselling in a period of time?

I use Auctionator and just do the math manually watching what goes up and down.

Oh, god, no. That takes fucking FOREVER for a few silvers worth of profit after auction cuts and time lost.

Honestly right now the best and easiest way to get farm gold is do ICC 10/25 and weeklies and heroics every chance you get and sell Primordial Saronites before they become completely obsolete.

If you aren't already well versed on economy manipulating, that is.

I've only got 3 80's so 1500g a week from Primordials isn't much. And only one of my 80's is geared for ICC 25's. The others GS is too low.

Edit: Nvm, primordials are only 350g each on my server so it'd be barely over 1000g a week on 3 toons.
Posted Image

#17 Seriana

Seriana
  • Seriana
  • Banned
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Moon Guard
  • Emberstorm

Posted 26 September 2010 - 03:13 PM

Better than nothing, you can try your hand at buying and reselling with a few thousand gold.

#18 Bigbadburks

Bigbadburks
  • Members
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • US-Undermine
  • Nightfall

Posted 26 September 2010 - 03:19 PM

I have about 12k gold right now. I may try to flip a few items.

Any recommendations on where to start? What I should look for?

And I know it's "Better than nothing." But only one of my toons can get into ICC every week. SO that's only 350g a week with Primordial prices on my server. Besides, I still need Frost Badge upgrades on the other toons >.<.

So I don't think Primordials is a very optimal method ATM.
Posted Image

#19 Seriana

Seriana
  • Seriana
  • Banned
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Moon Guard
  • Emberstorm

Posted 26 September 2010 - 03:27 PM

Meta gems. Relentless Earthsiege Diamond, Insightful Earthsiege Diamond, Chaotic Skyflare Diamond, Ember Skyflare Diamond sell the fastest and highest.

#20 Amiza

Amiza
  • Junkies
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • EU-Darksorrow
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Protection 1/0/0/1/0/2/2
  • 2v2: 1519
  • 3v3: 1135
  • LocationEngland

Posted 26 September 2010 - 03:30 PM